PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an unsubstantiated like for a bike brand?

m_sasso
10-07-2017, 09:13 PM
To much negative discussion on the forum, look at how many posts members are willing to put up discussing and chattering about bike companies they don’t like.

Ignore them and move on. How about we talk about our unsubstantiated like’s and our personal biases for ones we love.

Me I currently have 6 bikes however I would love to have an ornate Tommasini, Somec or Sancineto to glower over and go on special event rides.

And a warm thanks for all my Canadian brothers on this Canadian Thanksgiving weekend!

rustychisel
10-07-2017, 09:17 PM
I see what you did there.

Nothing wrong with the other thread; it's lighthearted, irrational and possibly cathartic, but to answer your question...

No, I don't think so. Any 'love' I have for a bike or brand has to be earned. I don't think you can simply reverse the onus of proof as you did.

saab2000
10-07-2017, 09:27 PM

dustyrider
10-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Gt’s Triple triangle ti road bike. Never owned one but love ‘em for some reason...

sales guy
10-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Gt’s Triple triangle ti road bike. Never owned one but love ‘em for some reason...

I have one. Liked riding it. Other than odd quirks with it it's nice. And mine is a 1st Generation one. The top tube is a smudge too long for me but it's nice.

instantturtle
10-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Bridgestone/G. Peterson.

Not even sure why besides my brother like(s/d) them and now that I have a 93 RB1, I’m waiting for a Ritchey Road Logic/Outback.

So basically steel builders from the Bay Area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sales guy
10-07-2017, 09:53 PM
I have a ton of bikes I've never ridden or owned that I love.

Colnago C-40(original version)
Colnago Master Light
AMP B4(own one but not built or ridden even once)
Specialized S-Works Steel
Specialized Epic Ultimate
LeMond Worlds Edition
LeMond Calfee
LeMond Merlin
Tommasini Tecno
Merlin Extralight
Merlin Newsboy
Yeti Cruiser
Yeti Pro Fro
Yeti ARC
Niner RDO
Time RXR
Time Cross bike
Ritchey P21

I could keep going.

fiamme red
10-07-2017, 10:03 PM
I've wanted a New Series Moulton for a long time. Considering the price, it's very unlikely I'll ever own one.

geordanh
10-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Sachs. Cross bike specifically. Just unbelievably cool.

Mosaic.

Firefly.

Waterford.

Specialized adventure line (sorry folks it's so cool)

Pegs obvs.

New Marin. Pretty cool for a mass brand.

Santa Cruz

Kona

Crema.

Lemond.

Salsa.

Stinner. Really curious about why people don't like this company? New and good at social media but I think they make super cool bikes. Have there been issues with them?

charliedid
10-08-2017, 07:08 AM
I've wanted a New Series Moulton for a long time. Considering the price, it's very unlikely I'll ever own one.

Same

quickfeet
10-08-2017, 07:16 AM
the Stinner look is fantastic. Also 44 bikes does a great job with their branding.

veggieburger
10-08-2017, 07:24 AM
Indie Fab. I know little about them, don't know how they ride, just love the look of em.

Mikej
10-08-2017, 07:32 AM
I'm a custom ti lover, but a C60 disc in the nude carbon.

makoti
10-08-2017, 08:05 AM
I would re-word this as "Any bikes that you've never seen or ridden & would love to own?"
That's a very long list.

superbowlpats
10-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Yeti. never owned / ridden one but have always wanted one. It's the turquoise color:banana:

weiwentg
10-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Anything Indy Fab.

Klein Quantum Pro. Mainly the paint.

Lemond Victoire (sp?) - saw one in a bike store in 2002. Was drooling. Definitely would not fit well even in my size.

eddief
10-08-2017, 09:34 AM
pick one:

http://ingliscycles.com/road/

more inside info:

https://chrisking.com/blog/293

MrCannonCam
10-08-2017, 09:39 AM
I have a soft spot for C40's....Anything Colnago really.

I quite like Festka's paint schemes, they are interesting for sure. Love coming across their stuff. Of course Speedvagen and Stoemper make some rad bikes on the "dream bike" list...

Such a sucker for certain team bikes as well....those Telekom Merckx's have a special special place in my heart. Cipolinni's Saeco bikes and the Domina Vacanze S Works bikes as well....

oldpotatoe
10-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Only seen 2, never rode one but...gotta have the stacked fork crown tho..even at wholesale $, way too much $...IMHO..

parco
10-08-2017, 09:44 AM
I have never ridden a bike built by Richard Sachs but I really like what he stands for. Quality and Craftsmanship. I don't even think he has assistants. I feel for all of the people on his waiting list but I think they are on that waiting list for the same reasons. Quality and Craftsmanship are worth waiting for. That said, I have a Gunnar Roadie that is absolutely wonderful. I can't imagine a better riding bike.
I bought it for the same reasons Quality and Craftsmanship.... and a six week lead time.

d_douglas
10-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Isn't this just a dream bike list? I could name many bikes I would like to try. Per the other thread, rather than lusting for a Calfee or Crumpton, I could just buy a Spec Tarmac that would ride as well, but not have the intangible mojo thst these two have. I just love nice bikes.

Thst said, I kinda of concluded Sachs bikes were nice but too much hype until I borrowed my buddy George's for a long ride in the Alps. Maybe it was placebo effect, but that is one of the most memorable rides I have ever done, complete with carving hairpin corners like I have never done before. Some of it must've been the bike, so it changed my opinion.

To answer your question, I like almost anything Salsa does.

dgauthier
10-08-2017, 10:32 AM
I'd like an all titanium Spectrum. The very first bike I lusted over and was a gorgeous Merlin Extralight that felt like a surgical instrument during a test ride. I figure, go to the source. Now a Spectrum would be a Se7en, but I still want a bike from Mr. Kellogg before he stops doing what he's doing.

Though I've said many times I'm not a big fan of carbon, I'd look at a BMC and Parlee first if I ever wanted a carbon frame.

StanleySteamer
10-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Peg in steel, Firefly in Ti,Colnago C60 in carbon.

choke
10-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Hetchins
Galmozzi
Mairag
Lino Messori
Freschi
Schauff
Ulrich Vogel

Stinner. Really curious about why people don't like this company? New and good at social media but I think they make super cool bikes. Have there been issues with them?I can only speak for myself, but they appeared from nowhere with a high price (above that of many well known, proven builders) and were super hyped. I don't see anything special about them that warrants the price or the hype.

uber
10-08-2017, 11:44 AM
The iconic Sachs red bike always grabs my attention.
I always look at Pegs, Colnago and anything out of Vanilla.
I only like about 10-20% of what I see, but the nice ones
are really nice.

kohlboto
10-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Hampsten. All things Hampsten.

William
10-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Honestly, too many to list. Well, if you go to the custom frame builder's list in the Custom section you will see my list. :)

That said, Italian bikes. I didn't dislike them, but none really grabbed my attention. Until now, something about those "Legend by Bertoletti" frames really caught my eye. I have a healthy like/lust thing going on even though I've never ridden one.

William

buddybikes
10-08-2017, 01:07 PM
>>I'd like an all titanium Spectrum. The very first bike I lusted over and was a gorgeous Merlin Extralight

Could be a good chance that Merlin was welded by Tyler Evans of Firefly...

galgal
10-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Colnago. C40 (substantiated). EPS, C59 (unsubstantiated)
De Rosa - late 60s/early 70s in Faema/Molteni livery

cmbicycles
10-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Not really unsubstantiated, but Spectrum for me too. Always had a spot for the Merlin Extralights, and especially Spectrum Supers that I saw... super smooth welds, internal brake cable routing, just awesome imo. Shop I worked in also worked with Tom as an intermediary for some customers frames getting repaired/refinished, and the whole process was professional thru and thru. No missed communication, no missed timelines, expectations were met and exceeded for all.

Matthew
10-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Anything Moots. Have always had a thing for them and am lucky enough to own two. Love Calfee lugs too. And my Colnago EPS is awfully nice. But if I could only have one brand, It's Moots!!!

cadence90
10-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Stinner. Really curious about why people don't like this company? New and good at social media but I think they make super cool bikes. Have there been issues with them?
I can only speak for myself, but they appeared from nowhere with a high price (above that of many well known, proven builders) and were super hyped. I don't see anything special about them that warrants the price or the hype.
Stinner seem like Ritte-cousins to me.

R3awak3n
10-08-2017, 02:25 PM

not quite, ritte was made in Asia from molds (I don't even think they were custom speced, not sure though). Stinner is made in the US and seems quite nice.

I get that they were hypped up and I agree (radavist bs) but there is a lot of nice stinners, in the gallery there is this blue fade one that is exellent and people that do own em seem very happy

William
10-08-2017, 02:27 PM
not quite, ritte was made in Asia from molds (I don't even think they were custom speced, not sure though). Stinner is made in the US and seems quite nice.

I get that they were hypped up and I agree (radavist bs) but there is a lot of nice stinners, in the gallery there is this blue fade one that is exellent and people that do own em seem very happy

There is a Stinner Spotlight as well from a while back...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134144

William

Geeheeb
10-08-2017, 02:32 PM
I've had two lemonds and I love the way they ride. Dollars per giggle, a great deal.

BobO
10-08-2017, 02:41 PM
My main unsubstantiated like had always been for BMC, then the TMR01 came out and that reached a boiling point. I bought one, sight unseen from eBay, I was not at all disappointed, it is everything I hoped it would be.

Another bike has since filled the gap of want for no other reason than want:
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2017/01/25/hia-012017--bclifton-dsc_4639-bcfilter1-1485326262691-cjbf1hrlk5re-630-80.jpg

Dead, fricken, sexy. :eek:

Tandem Rider
10-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Old Italian steel, I've had a bunch, broken most, I know they were cranked out of job shops by the thousands, but for some reason, I still get all starry eyed over them. I still have an old Colnago Super, I ride it occasionally.

cadence90
10-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Another bike has since filled the gap of want for no other reason than want:
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2017/01/25/hia-012017--bclifton-dsc_4639-bcfilter1-1485326262691-cjbf1hrlk5re-630-80.jpg

Dead, fricken, sexy. :eek:
No kidding!
Something about that bicycle is very appealing.
Which model is it, as I don't see that particular (gorgeous) paint scheme on the Allied site?

choke
10-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Ha. I hadn't thought of that but I agree.

I get that they were hypped up and I agree (radavist bs) but there is a lot of nice stinners, in the gallery there is this blue fade one that is exellent and people that do own em seem very happyYes, there are some differences but I can definitely see the overall similarity....both brands were over-hyped and over-priced IMO. They both may be nice bikes but that doesn't change the hype/price factor.

And to put things back on track.....

Old Italian steel I'm with you 100% there. I love Italian steel bikes, the vast majority of my bikes fall into that category.

fignon's barber
10-08-2017, 05:48 PM
something about those "Legend by Bertoletti" frames really caught my eye. I have a healthy like/lust thing going on even though I've never ridden one.
William

This. I would love to try one of those Legend bikes.

fignon's barber
10-08-2017, 05:50 PM
I took a little poke at Baum's pricing on another thread. After reading this article with the founder, Darren Baum, I have respect for Baum:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/10/bikes-of-the-bunch-darren-baum-orbis/

BobO
10-08-2017, 06:09 PM
No kidding!
Something about that bicycle is very appealing.
Which model is it, as I don't see that particular (gorgeous) paint scheme on the Allied site?

It's the Alfa in a custom scheme they used for their global launch. As I understand it, that scheme is also available for a small up charge. That chrome red over the black is just spectacular.

bicycletricycle
10-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Cinelli, never had one, like most of them. Always want a supercorsa. Some of the aluminum ones from the 00's were cool too.

fourflys
10-08-2017, 06:20 PM
two bike brands I really like, regardless of the current models... Salsa and Ibis!

Salsa has one or two models I'd buy and I love the current Ibis Mojo... but more than that bikes, I love the mantra of the companies.

as far as the other thread, I just don't get it... there isn't a bike that I really would say no to...

gomango
10-08-2017, 06:34 PM
I want a MAP 650b.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mapcycles/17682940096/in/dateposted/

or a Goodrich 650b like this one.

http://www.curtgoodrich.com/news/tks-rando-frame-and-fork/

Not so picky, as either would be just fine.

jischr
10-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Litespeed Tuscany
Colnago Master (AD10 or Mapei)

cadence90
10-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Until now, something about those "Legend by Bertoletti" frames really caught my eye. I have a healthy like/lust thing going on even though I've never ridden one.
William

This. I would love to try one of those Legend bikes.
This x2, which is another way of saying a Legend or a Stelbel or a Bixxis in steel. Probably the Stelbel for completely unsubstantiated reasons. :)

It's the Alfa in a custom scheme they used for their global launch. As I understand it, that scheme is also available for a small up charge. That chrome red over the black is just spectacular.
Thank you. Very nice.

Bruce in VA
10-08-2017, 07:42 PM
From oldest to newest, I have a Gitane, Motobecane, Colnago, Gary Fisher, Ibis (tandem), Pinarello, Carver, and Surly.

I'd like to add a new Flandria.

tv_vt
10-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Unsubstantiated like for a bike brand? Oh yeah, Pegoretti for sure. Would love to try one. Never have and I'm not sure I want to take the pricey risk. I've been compiling comments from this forum and VSalon from Peg owners, and for every one who loves theirs, there's someone else saying they weren't crazy about theirs. I'm a pretty solid 59 in his sizing.

Have been lucky enough to try Hampsten ti, Look 585 carbon, Serotta ti/carbon blend, Spectrum ti, Merckx steel and ti, Fondriest aluminum. All have been pretty nice. Thinking seriously about an HSG carbon Serotta right now.

Never tried a Colnago, but really like them, too. Their geo doesn't quite work for me, though.

And David Kirk. Love his bikes, never tried one. MattTuck has the only one around here for miles. It's a beaut.

Well, OK, and Zanc, too. Like his a lot. Never even seen one though, which is a bit of a surprise being pretty close to his shop.

Mustangski
10-09-2017, 04:33 AM
My unsubstantiated likes are far easier to obtain! I've always like Cannondales, since I was a kid riding mountain bikes and they were far out of my reach. Not too excited about the newer models made overseas, but the Made in USA models.

I sold a Six13 for my Look 765 and just finished building up a CAADX as an all rounder so I can keep a Cannondale in the house.

My dream bike is still a SystemSix in the red and raw carbon. I grabbed one off of eBay a couple years ago for $40, the owner thought the frame was cracked. Turned out fine, but was advertised wrong as a 54 and turned out to be a 58. Way too big for me, so the search continues.

Gsinill
10-09-2017, 08:24 AM
- Grandis
- Zullo
- Casati (not unsubstantiated though, my Casati Max is my favorite ride)

Bob Ross
10-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Any 'love' I have for a bike or brand has to be earned.
Isn't this just a dream bike list?

I think what should prevent this from being just a dream bike list is the OP's requirement that it be "unsubstantiated" ...I know at least half the bikes on my dream list are there for some reason or another! They've "earned" my like through some aspect of their existence, even if it's only "I think they look cool."

But the ones whose appeal I am least able to substantiate would probably be:

- Jeff Jones (much as I would love to resume off-road riding, I haven't in over 20 years, so lusting for a fat-tired mountain bike seems beyond oppulent)
- VeloKraft (They make recumbent race bikes that are probably too long & low to be practical on any of the roads where I ride)
- Nagasawa (His geared bikes would just replicate stuff I already own, and his track bike -- which of course is the one I covet -- would be beyond extravagant; probably pure suicide)
- Schwinn...specifically, an early 70s Stingray Krate. (:banana:)