PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Masi experts

DCilliams
10-07-2017, 07:20 AM
This Masi seems to be pretty hot on ebay right now. Anyone know why? Is it a pretty rare find?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Masi-Special-Brevettata-Bike-Italy-1968-1969-Orange-Parts-Repair-Restoration-/292272184676?hash=item440cc79d64:g:WbQAAOSw~oFZzAK H

Spaghetti Legs
10-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Not an expert bit I'll answer anyway. Masi production mostly moved to USA in the mid 70's, with I believe a minority still produced in Italy. The Speciale is less common, Italy produced. A late 60's Masi is more valuable, but not that valuable in that condition I wouldn't think. Looks like a bid war between two people developed.

Peter P.
10-07-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm not a Masi expert, but that bike is complete Campy Nuovo Record and all the components are the same vintage. The bike looks completely original; you won't have to go hunting to find matching components to complete a gruppo. Collectors will pay top dollar for those parts as-is.

I'd date that bike early 70's.

The seller clearly doesn't know what he has, considering the text/description. A great find for him.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Not an expert bit I'll answer anyway. Masi production mostly moved to USA in the mid 70's, with I believe a minority still produced in Italy. The Speciale is less common, Italy produced. A late 60's Masi is more valuable, but not that valuable in that condition I wouldn't think. Looks like a bid war between two people developed.

I believe Alberto(Faliero's son) is still building Masi for Europe and I think Milano, for the US...

Polyglot
10-07-2017, 09:46 AM
I would not say that I am an expert, but I would expect this "bike" to go up even more in price before it sells. The bike is likely from 1968 as it has the very rare "no-name" Campagnolo brake calipers. It also has the very early non-anodized Cinelli bars and stem. The chainrings seem to be the only parts that are not original. The bike itself looks to have been very well used and given the corncob freewheel cogs was likely used by a serious racer back in the day.

texbike
10-07-2017, 10:14 AM
The Masi Special was the top of the line, Italian-made model before the GC. It's definitely a rarity to find one for sale these days at a reasonable price.

Texbike

m_sasso
10-07-2017, 05:37 PM
"CUT" very early non-anodized Cinelli bras and stem. "CUT"

Doesn't take much to have a look at the E-bay images and view the bars are unquestionably anodized!

Someone certainly wanted it @ $3,700.00!