PDA

View Full Version : Help figuring out Sram To Shimano conversion on GT Grade

silentlight0
10-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I've been a lurker for some time but I have really enjoyed many aspects of this community. Since there are so many knowledgeable cyclists here I thought I would solicit some advice.

I have a GT Grade Carbon with Sram Force 22, hydro discs. My road bike has complete shimano. I'm discovering that I prefer the feel of shimano over Sram and am much more comfortable with adjusting them.

Would it be possible to simply replace my drivetrain to shimano and keep the force brakes rather than entirely overhaul the bike? If the latter is my only option I will probably either learn to live with having two different systems or just sell the bike and buy another with shimano.

Thanks!
Markhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171006/26832b7eaf274f637bdf1dad8a10b264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnhood
10-06-2017, 04:29 PM
I decided to strip all the Sram off my bike and replace with Shimano. Never had an issue or problem after that. It think its probably the best bicycle decision I have ever made. So, that is what I recommend.

Having said that, Force 22 is a newer group than what I had. The crank is probably Ok and you could just buy a mini-group, but I would get rid of the rest including the brakes. I feel pretty darn certain you will always be glad you did.

I told my dealer to just keep the Sram components because I did not want to sell anyone junk.

ptourkin
10-06-2017, 04:37 PM
SRAM and Shimano hydro brakes use different fluid. SRAM uses DOT and Shimano uses mineral oil. I don't believe that you could then use the SRAM calipers with Shimano levers, if that is your plan.

oldpotatoe
10-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I've been a lurker for some time but I have really enjoyed many aspects of this community. Since there are so many knowledgeable cyclists here I thought I would solicit some advice.

I have a GT Grade Carbon with Sram Force 22, hydro discs. My road bike has complete shimano. I'm discovering that I prefer the feel of shimano over Sram and am much more comfortable with adjusting them.

Would it be possible to simply replace my drivetrain to shimano and keep the force brakes rather than entirely overhaul the bike? If the latter is my only option I will probably either learn to live with having two different systems or just sell the bike and buy another with shimano.

Thanks!
Markhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171006/26832b7eaf274f637bdf1dad8a10b264.jpg

Shimano levers won’t talk to sram wet calipers.....YGBSM...if some dude designed that in he’d be bounced before you could say ‘boostforever’:)

silentlight0
10-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone. So I guess it's all or nothing! Anyone else own both systems? On the road I fee okay with the adjustment. It's the maintenance differences I don't want to cater to, such as tools, fluids so forth. Is it a real PITA long term or am I reading more into it than it is?

macaroon
10-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Shimano have issues with leaky seals. I would probably stick with SRAM TBh.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the reply everyone. So I guess it's all or nothing! Anyone else own both systems? On the road I fee okay with the adjustment. It's the maintenance differences I don't want to cater to, such as tools, fluids so forth. Is it a real PITA long term or am I reading more into it than it is?

I'm discovering that I prefer the feel of shimano over Sram and am much more comfortable with adjusting them.

Asked and answered sir...

CiclistiCliff
10-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Shimano have issues with leaky seals. I would probably stick with SRAM TBh.

Never seen a leaky seal issue on either Sram or Shimano.