PDA

View Full Version : 3 foot law....for cyclists?

BobbyJones
10-05-2017, 12:57 PM
On my commute the other day I was passed with inches of clearance by another cyclist hell bent on breaking the land speed record.

I'm very comfortable riding in a pack, even bumping elbows with people I'm familiar with but this really startled me.

I've since spent time noting how much space I would normally (before this awareness) give a cyclist when passing. Its been way too little. Much less than the 3 ft standard we hold automobiles to.

For the rest of you, have you ever noted your passing distance? Do you give a wide berth?

I know we're not 2-ton vehicles traveling over 30 mph, but what's the thought on a safe distance for a cyclist / cyclist pass?

dbnm
10-05-2017, 01:01 PM
When on the bike path, I give several feet. Sometimes on the road, it is not possible but I always look around and give as much as I can.

But, I've had the same experiences of dudes passing within inches. They are usually on a TT bike.

Ralph
10-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Central Florida has miles and miles of nice paved 12-14' wide bike, pedestrian, jogging, skate board, kids learning to ride, mom's jogging behind strollers.....trails. They are really nice. They can get you out into the rural areas for some good riding.

I hate it when cyclists act like trails are training facilities.....and come by yelling for others to get out of the way. Or otherwise act like they own the right of way. Brush close to show their attitude. Our trails are for multi use. If you want to ride fast, get on the road. My wife was almost run over recently by a rider in a TT position, big rear disk wheel, flying by at about 25 MPH yelling "move over, move over" to everyone in his path. Jerk!!!

oldpotatoe
10-05-2017, 02:34 PM
On my commute the other day I was passed with inches of clearance by another cyclist hell bent on breaking the land speed record.

I'm very comfortable riding in a pack, even bumping elbows with people I'm familiar with but this really startled me.

I've since spent time noting how much space I would normally (before this awareness) give a cyclist when passing. Its been way too little. Much less than the 3 ft standard we hold automobiles to.

For the rest of you, have you ever noted your passing distance? Do you give a wide berth?

I know we're not 2-ton vehicles traveling over 30 mph, but what's the thought on a safe distance for a cyclist / cyclist pass?

More important(to me anyway), do you say anything when you pass? I don't want to be the guys life long friend, just want to know he's there in case I gotta swerve for a prairie dog..so I don't take us both down..and I get passed WAY more than I pass...say somethin'...'passing', 'on yer left', 'good morning'
something please.

zap
10-05-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't know how much space I give cyclists.........enough space so that the cyclists I'm about to pass can veer left some and fall down towards the center line and i'm still clear.

All this off course if the 6 is clear.

GregL
10-05-2017, 02:47 PM
More important(to me anyway), do you say anything when you pass? I don't want to be the guys life long friend, just want to know he's there in case I gotta swerve for a prairie dog..so I don't take us both down..and I get passed WAY more than I pass...say somethin'...'passing', 'on yer left', 'good morning'
something please.
I actually think the phrase "I'm passing on your left" is most appropriate. It's polite and self-explanatory to those not versed in cycling terminology. And it never hurts to add a "Have a nice day/ride/run" as you pass. Of course, this all goes out the window when headphones are in use (see lengthy previous thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210835&highlight=headphone)...). Agree completely with the assessment that riding fast on a MUP is ludicrous. Anyone trying to seriously train (other than a recovery spin) on a MUP is a collision waiting to happen.

Greg

pncguy
10-05-2017, 02:55 PM
I now avoid saying anything about which side I'm passing on. All too often when I say "passing on your left" the walker/rider/skater MOVES to the left. I tend to say "coming up behind you." This lets them know I'm coming and allows them to just think about getting out of the way if they like. For walkers who are already close to the right side of the path, they tend to move right.

And, yes, I usually also say "good morning" or "thank you" as I pass by - with an emphasis on sounding friendly and appreciative that they moved over.

As for passing cyclists, I give them room enough to screw up and have me still not hit them.

pjbaz
10-05-2017, 03:16 PM
I now avoid saying anything about which side I'm passing on. All too often when I say "passing on your left" the walker/rider/skater MOVES to the left.

THIS!

I give notice I'm coming up and pass wide (if possible) or wait until I can.

I avoid multi-use paths and such at almost all costs.

djg21
10-05-2017, 03:18 PM
I actually think the phrase "I'm passing on your left" is most appropriate. It's polite and self-explanatory to those not versed in cycling terminology. And it never hurts to add a "Have a nice day/ride/run" as you pass. Of course, this all goes out the window when headphones are in use (see lengthy previous thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210835&highlight=headphone)...). Agree completely with the assessment that riding fast on a MUP is ludicrous. Anyone trying to seriously train (other than a recovery spin) on a MUP is a collision waiting to happen.

Greg

IME, more often than not if you say on your left the other rider moves to his/her left and directly into your path. I prefer to just say “hello” loud enough to be heard, and early enough that the other rider can determine where I am. I sometimes do say which side I’m on, but again I try to do it very early and watch for the other rider to cut me off.

HenryA
10-05-2017, 04:08 PM
If I have any doubt at all about making a safe pass, I slow way down and speak to the person to let them know I am near, usually commenting on what a nice day it is or some other pleasantry. Maybe just a friendly “hello”. After we acknowledge each other's presence, I pass carefully and wave bye or wish them a nice ride or walk.

Works every single time.

dton
10-05-2017, 04:27 PM
I was out with the girlfriend the other morning going for a slow spin on a MUP when I was passed extremely closely by an oversized MAMIL (sorry no other way to describe him). No one else was on the path at 7am and I could only guess it was a "punishment pass" because we were riding side by side (mind you right next to each other, leaving about 6 feet to my left for passing). The MUP is very wide with enough space for two-way bike lane and a walking lane...did I mention it was completely deserted in the morning.

It took a lot of self control to not race up to him and ask him what the hell his problem was. Makes me wonder what he would have done if he was in a car. I personally find the severe lack of respect and/or self awareness simply infuriating.

I follow a simple rule, if you wouldn't like something done to you, then don't do it to others. I leave as much space as I can when passing because I know how it feels to be passed closely. This caution is doubled when passing walkers who are moving even slower. I also have a bell so i'll give it a quick ring or just yell on your left. If there's space on the lane, why not pass with as much space as you can?

If everyone just put themselves into the other persons shoes I think the world would be a better place.

/rant

BikeNY
10-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Man, I wish everyone on the road and multi use paths shared the same attitude as the posters here! As others, I've have plenty of too-close-for-comfort encounters with other cyclists. As noted by others, I always try to notify the person I'm going to pass well in advance, I've been using a bell lately instead of 'On your left', and then follow that up with a hello, nice day, or something like that when I actually pass. And I usually slow down if it's not a cyclist I'm passing. I usually give as much room as possible, moving as far left on the path as possible, and sometimes off the side of the path to be sure it's safe.

There are plenty of idiot cyclists who pass too close and without any warning, but there are also plenty of oblivious walkers etc, who take up the whole path, have music blasting in their headphones, etc. who are startled no matter what you do.

I also try to say hello or wave to any cyclist or pedestrian coming the other way, and I'd say the skinnier someones tires are, the less likely they are to acknowledge me!