PDA

View Full Version : Rapha - LA

vqdriver
10-04-2017, 07:36 PM
anyone been there yet?
i don't regularly head to the west side but may drop in if i find myself out there.
do i need to grow a mustache to get in? cuz if i do, i can't get in.

dbnm
10-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Just show up in skinny jeans and a short T-shirt and you'll be fine
:)

m4rk540
10-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Good friend in "The Industry" who's been to 6 or 7 Rapha Clubs worldwide had the following complaints.

They didn't offer him coffee when he walked in as they've done at all the other Clubs.

They didn't double check the sizing on a couple of items so he ended up with the wrong sized socks.

He didn't feel that his bike was welcomed inside the store as half the space seems to be dedicated to selling Herman Miller furniture.

They generally ignored him.

MattTuck
10-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Good friend in "The Industry" who's been to 6 or 7 Rapha Clubs worldwide had the following complaints.

They didn't offer him coffee when he walked in as they've done at all the other Clubs.

They didn't double check the sizing on a couple of items so he ended up with the wrong sized socks.

He didn't feel that his bike was welcomed inside the store as half the space seems to be dedicated to selling Herman Miller furniture.

They generally ignored him.

Can you imagine going back to 2005 and reading this post about someone's experience at an LBS? LOL. It just makes me laugh. What would people say? And yet, it seems pretty much as I'd expect today.

radsmd
10-04-2017, 09:45 PM
I am in San Diego and had a chance recently to spend some time at the Rapha club in Sydney as well as the new club in LA/Santa Monica. My interactions with the club staff were all positive, although you can tell that the LA store is new and still getting everything worked out.

In Sydney, I rented one of their Canyon Ultimate bikes and was totally happy with it. Dura ace di2, mavic carbon wheels, great condition and well adjusted. Coffee both before and after the ride offered and gladly accepted.

At the LA store, everybody was very friendly and down to earth. I find that if you treat workers with respect then they will treat you the same. Spoke with a chap (who will remain nameless unless he wants to be named) who works there about his recent custom US made steel frame that was sent to be custom painted by somebody in Italy. He is here on PL and his frame and bikes have been shown here. Another chap leads rides on his Chance Slim Chance. Some cool guys...

So I say give it a chance, don’t come in with an attitude, and you might just like it.

oldpotatoe
10-05-2017, 07:17 AM
I am in San Diego and had a chance recently to spend some time at the Rapha club in Sydney as well as the new club in LA/Santa Monica. My interactions with the club staff were all positive, although you can tell that the LA store is new and still getting everything worked out.

In Sydney, I rented one of their Canyon Ultimate bikes and was totally happy with it. Dura ace di2, mavic carbon wheels, great condition and well adjusted. Coffee both before and after the ride offered and gladly accepted.

At the LA store, everybody was very friendly and down to earth. I find that if you treat workers with respect then they will treat you the same. Spoke with a chap (who will remain nameless unless he wants to be named) who works there about his recent custom US made steel frame that was sent to be custom painted by somebody in Italy. He is here on PL and his frame and bikes have been shown here. Another chap leads rides on his Chance Slim Chance. Some cool guys...

So I say give it a chance, don’t come in with an attitude, and you might just like it.

NOT saying anybody here did this anywhere but as a LBS owner, gotta say, 'some' DO come in looking for an argument. Then if they do or don't get it, slam the shop as 'elitist' or 'snobby' or clueless', or whatever..it's just bikes, toys, after-all.:)

For the 'industry' guy who got ignored..MAYBE he worked for sram...NOTE->:);)

'K?

19wisconsin64
10-05-2017, 07:58 AM
I live in NYC but travel to LA sometimes and Rapha went out of their way twice to hook me up with rental bicycles even before they opened their store. This is over the past two years too!

Rapha is just another bike shop, they mostly sell clothes, the have the largest worldwide bicycle club, and they make some great coffee too. They will never replace my local bicycle shops or mechanics, but have served me well with bicycle rentals, amazing cycling jerseys, and a righteous latte when needed in Soho New York. Folks who work there have always been laid back and friendly too.

Have to say that Rapha has helped cycling in general, not just by having a the largest club, but by making the sport seen as something of a lifestyle to lots of new people to cycling. They are helping to popularize cycling , and this is greatly needed to improve cycling worldwide.

cderalow
10-05-2017, 07:59 AM
I'm excited for the DC one to open up soon.

Hoping they have some sale clothes....

:banana:

chiasticon
10-05-2017, 08:06 AM
do i need to grow a mustache to get in?
Just show up in skinny jeans and a short T-shirt and you'll be fine
half the space seems to be dedicated to selling Herman Miller furniture.
For the 'industry' guy who got ignored..MAYBE he worked for sram...

lotta BS in this thread and it's not even past the first page. never pass up an opportunity to jab at those you dislike, I guess... on topic, or otherwise.

cgolvin
10-05-2017, 03:07 PM
I'm an RCC member who lives, conveniently, a relatively short riding distance from the store, so take my comments in context.

My experiences have been almost uniformly positive. They definitely had a few kinks to work out at the beginning (and some ongoing opportunities to improve), but the staff has been friendly and welcoming every time, and I don't ascribe that exclusively to being a member since I observe how they interact with others. There is an element of hipster cool that I can see could be annoying to those more sensitive about that kind of thing; I just choose to overlook it.

When they first opened there was a shortage of bike parking — considering that on the first day there were close to 50 bikes. But in the interim they've added more stands indoors and on days where they have large organized rides they put racks out in front.

Yes, they have a partnership with Herman Miller but the furniture is comfortable and suits the needs of the space —*it's not like they're aggressively hawking the stuff.

I agree with the "Rapha has been good for cycling" comment above. No doubt their stuff is pricey but the quality is good, customer service and repairs have been top-notch, and the people who work there have genuine passion for cycling.

Finally, almost without exception the RCC members I've met have been good eggs and a pleasure to ride with. The jerk/wannabe/aggro quotient has been amazingly low. Thank god.

JasonF
10-05-2017, 03:43 PM
When the shop was in Venice the staff went out of their way to be helpful and the manager (Brett?) was super-cool.

Looking forward to checking out the new shop.

SoCalSteve
10-05-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm an RCC member who lives, conveniently, a relatively short riding distance from the store, so take my comments in context.

My experiences have been almost uniformly positive. They definitely had a few kinks to work out at the beginning (and some ongoing opportunities to improve), but the staff has been friendly and welcoming every time, and I don't ascribe that exclusively to being a member since I observe how they interact with others. There is an element of hipster cool that I can see could be annoying to those more sensitive about that kind of thing; I just choose to overlook it.

When they first opened there was a shortage of bike parking — considering that on the first day there were close to 50 bikes. But in the interim they've added more stands indoors and on days where they have large organized rides they put racks out in front.

Yes, they have a partnership with Herman Miller but the furniture is comfortable and suits the needs of the space —*it's not like they're aggressively hawking the stuff.

I agree with the "Rapha has been good for cycling" comment above. No doubt their stuff is pricey but the quality is good, customer service and repairs have been top-notch, and the people who work there have genuine passion for cycling.

Finally, almost without exception the RCC members I've met have been good eggs and a pleasure to ride with. The jerk/wannabe/aggro quotient has been amazingly low. Thank god.

Nice to hear! I went a couple times to their pop up store on Abbott Kinney and they definitely treated me well. I actually left my Moots outside once ( on their rack ) and they immediately brought it inside. Pro move, I didn’t expect that or ask them to.

One time when I was there, someone from their London headquarters was there for some reason and he struck up a conversation with me (him with a British accent, of course). No pretensions at all, just curious about my opinions on a few things.

Still need to get to the SaMo location. Not really on my usual bike route and we try to avoid Santa Monica altogether for the most part while driving.

cgolvin
10-05-2017, 04:45 PM
When the shop was in Venice the staff went out of their way to be helpful and the manager (Brett?) was super-cool.

Yes, Brett's a great guy and is now the manager of RCCLA.
The new place definitely has a different vibe than the pop-up, more spit and polish but same positive attitude.

BTW, there are club rides every weekend and I've brought along non-members plenty of times, always welcomed warmly. If anyone's interested send a PM and I'll be happy to meet up.

dbnm
10-05-2017, 04:52 PM
I've had nothing but amazing customer service both in person and online.

Their products are top shelf and actually retain value. Just search Rapha on ebay.