PDA

View Full Version : Why is my back stiff like a stale pretzle?

shinomaster
09-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Way back in highschool when I started moutain biking I noticed my lower back was often sore. I went to a PT. and she said I had extremely tight legs and hamstrings. I started stretching a lot and soon I could touch my toes and over time could plant my palms flat on the floor. Most of my back pain and knee pain went away. It was better, but I never could get my back flat as I was encouraged to do, it always went up and then forward. A really flexible Yogi Monkey can just bend forward from the ***.
I haven't been stretching as much as I did in college the past few years and as a result my body has tightened up and I'm in a bit more pain. A Serotta bike fitter said I need therapy to get my back flat, and a better position on the bike so I could enjoy a longer top tube.
I wonder if this is just how my back is and always will be, or is there a secret to making my lower back more flexible? What did I not do properly when I religiously stretched three times a day in college? How does yoga work?
If you have any questions about what I mean just see the illustration.

Thanks,

Shino

cpg
09-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Curt

stevep
09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
i think its how you are shaped.
thats the way it is. there a re a lot of good riders whose back looks like that.
jon page comes to mind. not flexibility. just that way he is.

72gmc
09-14-2006, 05:35 PM
i'm there with you, shinomaster. i have taken exactly one yoga class and i can see how it would help me in this regard--i probably won't ever be truly flexible, but it could help. could improve my balance too. need to make time for more of it.

looks like dbrk's bratwurst is burning.

alembical
09-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Shino,

The only real helpful advice I have is that if your back is as stiff as a stale pretzel, then just soak it in some beer. It would probably work best if you coat the inside and outside at the same time... you know, to get it real well soaked. Just trying to help out.... oh and I guess if that 'stretching' thing worked for you before, maybe try that again... but don't forget about the beer, as I think that is really the key.

your helpful friend, Alembical

morty
09-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I couldn't help but put in my two cents. I, too, have been plagued with a stiff lower back over the past couple years and it was only after numerous visits to a PT that I discovered over-developed, tight hip flexors (a result of many climbing miles) can contribute to back pain and stiffness. I could still bend and touch my palms to the floor, but sometimes getting out of bed in the morning...ouch! Stretching my hip flexors prior to and after a ride has offered great relief. Hope this helps. :)

Great forum!

alembical
09-14-2006, 06:13 PM
p.s. - I can recommend enough yoga, especially at the 24 hour fitness in the Pearl. Sure, I have never actually done it there, but the amount of eye candy alone would definitely make it worth you time. I don't suggest wearing bike shorts or sweat pants though, if you know what I mean.

Alembical

feel free to thank me later.

Archibald
09-14-2006, 07:04 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15682&stc=1
Nothing about the topic in question, but wow, DBRK is a woman?! You're blowing my mind here, I always thought she was a man, I mean I felt she had a masculine style to her writing. Good on her though! :beer:

Yoga is hard. Yoga balls...now those are lots of fun with a loved one in a comfortable setting. :banana:

Matt Barkley
09-14-2006, 07:21 PM
It's your Civilized Posture. It is Bad for you (and your back.) :beer:

shinomaster
09-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Wow. I really do have tight hip flexors as well, and they have been bothering me as well.

DBRK, sorry you turned out a bit on the girly side as a monkey...I was in a hurry to draw this at work today..

BumbleBeeDave
09-14-2006, 07:35 PM
. . .I'm SO glad I'm not the only one that was wondering about that dbrk girly monkey thing. for a second there i thought that maybe--but no, that's just TOO creepy! :rolleyes:

BBD

Ken Robb
09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
well ya know--he does have that ponytail---------- :rolleyes:

chrisroph
09-14-2006, 09:38 PM
You have really tight hamstrings. Stretch those dudes.

Needs Help
09-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Stretching my hip flexors prior to and after a ride has offered great relief.
How does one go about doing that?

Ken Robb
09-14-2006, 11:14 PM
waaaaiiiit a minute---FRESH pretzels are stiff----stale pretzels get limp--no wonder you haven't figured out a cure.

morty
09-14-2006, 11:17 PM
There are several, but the kneeling stretch is the one I like most:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html

Hold the stretch for at least 20 seconds, then repeat on the other leg. I do about five one each side. Just start off slowly, though, as you can over do it if you push too hard.

You may even find your tight hamstrings loosening up as you lengthen out and release your hip flexors. Yoga would be ideal to incorporate it all. Good luck.

Tailwinds
09-14-2006, 11:22 PM
There are several, but the kneeling stretch is the one I like most:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html

Hold the stretch for at least 20 seconds, then repeat on the other leg. I do about five one each side. Just start off slowly, though, as you can over do it if you push too hard.

You may even find your tight hamstrings loosening up as you lengthen out and release your hip flexors. Yoga would be ideal to incorporate it all. Good luck.

+1

shinomaster
09-15-2006, 02:24 AM
waaaaiiiit a minute---FRESH pretzels are stiff----stale pretzels get limp--no wonder you haven't figured out a cure.

No, stale dry petzles are soft, and stale fresh pretzles are crunchy...get it? My back is more like stale taffy actually...

oracle
09-15-2006, 02:28 AM
No, stale dry petzles are soft, and stale fresh pretzles are crunchy...get it? My back is more like stale taffy actually...

pretzel logic? (http://212.238.227.178:8080/SteelyDanDatabase/images/PretzelLogic.jpg)

shinomaster
09-15-2006, 02:43 AM
pretzel logic? (http://212.238.227.178:8080/SteelyDanDatabase/images/PretzelLogic.jpg)

Oracle, is that like fuzzy math? Hey, did you ever figure out who invented Baklava? Was it the Athenians?

shinomaster
09-15-2006, 02:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava

rsl
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Sorry Shino, I know this was a serious post, but this has to be one of the funniest posts ever! Those drawings and the commentary are killing me! :D

shinomaster
09-15-2006, 11:06 AM
?? None of my posts are ever funny :no: ??

Archibald
09-15-2006, 11:43 AM
?? None of my posts are ever funny :no: ??

"Don't take any **** from the zeitgeist." - George Carlin