PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: 22mm disc mount for CHT

konaman
10-04-2017, 05:01 AM
Hi guys -

I need some advice.

I have a Serotta CHT MTB which I really like. It comes only with the older Hayes 22mm disc mount though.

My preference is to update it - send it to someone to get it changed into a more modern brake system. Eg, I saw http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/frame-building-parts/brake-mounting-components/caliper-mounts/bk0031-titanium-flat-caliper-mount.html which might work? I get to keep the very nice original Serotta 3D dropouts.

What to you guys think?

If that makes sense, any idea how much it would cost? And who should i send it to?

Thanks!
ps. Alternative is to keep using the Hayes.

Pegoready
10-04-2017, 06:39 AM
This seems a lot simpler than having someone weld a part onto your frame:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A2Z-AD-PMR-Disc-brake-adapter-fits-Hayes-Mounts-to-ISO-51mm-Trek-Klein-25-/382236542555

It adapts the 22 mm Hayes mounts to create an ISO interface. From there, you can use ISO-to-Post Mount adapters to use any Post Mount Brake.

sales guy
10-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Hey KM. Responded to your PM. Let me know if you need anything else. Ok?

Michael

konaman
10-13-2017, 06:51 AM
thanks Michael. I have reached out and will furnish more pics in November when I am back in country.

Pegoready, thanks. tried that. but it did not fit.

To be honest, I am still undecided as I am still riding the Hayes and it has been fine. I have backup spare parts even. It just isn't pimpy enough ;)

BikeNY
10-13-2017, 08:33 AM
thanks Michael. I have reached out and will furnish more pics in November when I am back in country.

Pegoready, thanks. tried that. but it did not fit.

To be honest, I am still undecided as I am still riding the Hayes and it has been fine. I have backup spare parts even. It just isn't pimpy enough ;)

Can you elaborate on why the adapter didn't work?

konaman
10-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Hi BikeNY,

it is because when I installed the adapter, the caliper would not fit. i think it was the Avid BB&. the space left between the chain and seat stay was too small. I am guessing this would be better for larger frames and for smaller callipers. the current mount is on the chain stay.

Anyway, i am stocking up on Hayes disc brakes whenever i can find them. :)

BikeNY
10-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Hi BikeNY,

it is because when I installed the adapter, the caliper would not fit. i think it was the Avid BB&. the space left between the chain and seat stay was too small. I am guessing this would be better for larger frames and for smaller callipers. the current mount is on the chain stay.

Anyway, i am stocking up on Hayes disc brakes whenever i can find them. :)

Gotcha. From what I understand, the Avid BB7s take up a lot of room, so maybe a different brake would make it work? Also, maybe going to a bigger rotor would give the caliper more room?

I had a sweet FS Klein Mantra carbon back in the that used those same Hayes 22mm brakes. They actually worked really well!