PDA

View Full Version : Stumped: Need help with Goatlink and 10 speed friction shifting

toosahn
10-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Decided to install a few things today:

-Praxis works 11-40t 10 speed cassette.
-Wolf Tooth Goat link
-Shimano XT 10 speed rear derailleur

I am running this on my daily bike that has 9 speed Shimano barcons that are running in friction mode.

My previous setup had me running a 9 speed XTR rear derailleur and 10 speed cassette in friction with zero problems.

Now, however, I can't pull enough cable to get into the 3 largest cogs in the rear. I've never had this issue with shifting with friction and I'm assuming its because the 10 speed pull ratio is different?

Or what am I doing wrong? It is definitely not a H-L limit screw adjustment problem because I'm maximizing the range of motion of my barcons.

toosahn
10-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Did a little more research. Seems that Dynasys rear mech needs a Dynasys pull ratio shifter. Thus I need to get a Microshift MTB 10 speed shifter in order to get the pull ratio I need to fully shift the rear mech. Does that sound right?

JAGI410
10-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Put the 9spd rear D back on

toosahn
10-03-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm just going to order microshift shifters. But yeah, that would work as well. Although I don't think the 9 speed will shift to the 40 tooth cog.

JAGI410
10-03-2017, 08:57 PM
The goatlink should make it work.

palincss
10-04-2017, 06:10 AM
The Goatlink changes the position of the rear derailleur -- basically a hanger extension -- so that it'll clear a big sprocket. It won't change cable pull to make road shifters compatible with DynaSys rear derailleurs. Their TanPan does that.

oldpotatoe
10-04-2017, 06:51 AM
Decided to install a few things today:

-Praxis works 11-40t 10 speed cassette.
-Wolf Tooth Goat link
-Shimano XT 10 speed rear derailleur

I am running this on my daily bike that has 9 speed Shimano barcons that are running in friction mode.

My previous setup had me running a 9 speed XTR rear derailleur and 10 speed cassette in friction with zero problems.

Now, however, I can't pull enough cable to get into the 3 largest cogs in the rear. I've never had this issue with shifting with friction and I'm assuming its because the 10 speed pull ratio is different?

Or what am I doing wrong? It is definitely not a H-L limit screw adjustment problem because I'm maximizing the range of motion of my barcons.

That rear der needs more cable travel/pull per 'speed' and so the small barrel shifter doesn't wind enough cable to get the rear der all the way up.

A '9s' MTB rear der like XT..

JAGI410
10-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Goatlink plus the 9spd XTR Rear D you already have should shift to the 40T. Worth the experiment, it’s free!

ColonelJLloyd
10-04-2017, 10:59 AM
If you truly want friction, I believe this shifter (https://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/shifting-freewheels-cassettes/shifters/dia-compe-ene-11s-dt-shifters.html) should get you where you want to be.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess there's no way to mount it on your bars.

icepick_trotsky
10-04-2017, 11:30 AM
If you truly want friction, I believe this shifter (https://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/shifting-freewheels-cassettes/shifters/dia-compe-ene-11s-dt-shifters.html) should get you where you want to be.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess there's no way to mount it on your bars.

Kelly take offs to the rescue.

chrismoustache
10-05-2017, 07:56 AM
I had some issues running a clutched XT rear derailleur with a Microshift thumbie on my MTB in friction. I'd either have to tighten the action of the shifter to a degree that made shifting a real thumb workout, or every bump would auto shift to the derailleur's default position.

Maybe not a concern with bar end shifters and less aggressive terrain, but just my experience...