PDA

View Full Version : 16 mm nipples

theprep
09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I have some Ambrosio FCS 28 rims that call for 16 mm long nipples instead of the typical 12 mm ones. Does anyone know if I need to shorten the calculated spoke length by 4 mm to compensate.

The LBS that I ordered the spokes from said no, but I checked the spoke lengths this morning with the DT Swiss calculator and it rounds them down 4 mm when you input a 16 mm nipple.

Anyone know first hand which is correct?

thanks tons,
Joe

manet
09-14-2006, 02:47 PM
i just had to looksee

Grant McLean
09-14-2006, 02:52 PM
I have some Ambrosio FCS 28 rims that call for 16 mm long nipples instead of the typical 12 mm ones. Does anyone know if I need to shorten the calculated spoke length by 4 mm to compensate.

The LBS that I ordered the spokes from said no, but I checked the spoke lengths this morning with the DT Swiss calculator and it rounds them down 4 mm when you input a 16 mm nipple.

Anyone know first hand which is correct?

thanks tons,
Joe

There's no reason not use shorter spokes,
and it saves a tiny bit of weight.

-g
forever perky

zap
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I just went through this exercise.

I installed supplied 16mm nips to a new build and sure enough, the supplied spokes ended up to long :crap:

Replaced with 12 mm nips and all was well.

LBS 0 DT 1

ShockTreatment
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
You just want to make sure that the spoke is long enough to come up into the rim. If the spoke is too short and there is a gap, the nipple is more likey to shear off. I've seen this happen.

theprep
09-14-2006, 03:29 PM
You just want to make sure that the spoke is long enough to come up into the rim. If the spoke is too short and there is a gap, the nipple is more likey to shear off. I've seen this happen.

That is exactly what I am afraid of. It is happening to another wheelset of mine built by a respected builder. He used spokes that ended about 2-3 mm from the top of the nipple. They end right where the nipple mushrooms out and that is where 3 nipples have cracked so far.

chrisroph
09-14-2006, 03:46 PM
You want the spoke to fully engage the nipple threads. You could probably get away with a spoke 2mm shorter than spec'd for use with a 12mm nipple but there does not seem to be any reason to.

theprep
09-23-2006, 10:02 AM
The answer is NO - Do NOT shorten your spoke lengths by 4 mm. I confirmed this with Ergott as well.

I used the spoke lengths given by spocalc and they came right up to the top of the nipple like they are supposed to. The extra nipple length merely allowed enough of the nipple to protrude out of the rim and get a spoke wrench on the flat portion of the nipple for truing.

This is my attempt at an aero clincher wheelset. Heavy as heck at 1850 grams but I'm looking for some of that Carbone SL type "momentum" to keep me rolling real fast along the flats. We will see.

ergott
09-23-2006, 12:24 PM
The answer is NO - Do NOT shorten your spoke lengths by 4 mm. I confirmed this with Ergott as well.

I used the spoke lengths given by spocalc and they came right up to the top of the nipple like they are supposed to. The extra nipple length merely allowed enough of the nipple to protrude out of the rim and get a spoke wrench on the flat portion of the nipple for truing.

This is my attempt at an aero clincher wheelset. Heavy as heck at 1850 grams but I'm looking for some of that Carbone SL type "momentum" to keep me rolling real fast along the flats. We will see.

Sweet wheels, man. I'm glad everything worked out. When are we going to see the wheels with the black spokes?

theprep
09-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Sweet wheels, man. I'm glad everything worked out. When are we going to see the wheels with the black spokes?

They are nothing fancy, just Ultegra 9 hubs laced to Velocity Aeroheads.

Samster
09-23-2006, 08:56 PM