PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tire Questions

alembical
09-14-2006, 01:10 PM
I am just curious how other forum members (using clinchers) handle flats.....

1) If you get a flat on a ride, do you patch it or just replace the tube?

2) If you use patches on rides, do you use the self-adhesive or the real ones that need glue?

3) What about fixing a flat at home? Glue patches? How many times will you patch a tube before junking it?

4) What do you do with the old tubes that have patched countless times? Recycle... where and how?

5) Do people have much luck with the lighter tubes or is that a savings that is just not worth it?

FIXED-GEAR / SS Riders:
How do you deal with a rear flat on a ride? Do you remove the wheel or try not to? Do any of you have the chains with the easy to remove links (do they even make these in the wider size)?

Just curious and thanks for the comments any of you provide.

For what its worth, I always have at least one extra tube on a ride and a self-adhesive patch kit in case I get numerous flats. At home, I use the better glue patches and have some tubes with 4 or 5 fixed flats with no noticable problems or links. There is a community cycling center here that takes our old tubes and either recycles them or uses them for odd things. On my fixed-gear and SS bikes, I have never tried fixing a flat without removing the wheel, but watched it done the other day and it looked painless. I also don't have a chain with the quick links, but I could see positives (easy to remove) and negatives (strength) with these... if they make them.

Thanks again, Alembical

christian
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
2) If you use patches on rides, do you use the self-adhesive or the real ones that need glue?
3) What about fixing a flat at home? Glue patches? How many times will you patch a tube before junking it?
4) What do you do with the old tubes that have patched countless times? Recycle... where and how?
5) Do people have much luck with the lighter tubes or is that a savings that is just not worth it?

FIXED-GEAR / SS Riders:
How do you deal with a rear flat on a ride?

1) Replace. Have patched in past, but have impatient friends.
2) Real patches. Rema TipTop only for me.
3) Rema TipTop. I usually junk them after 3-4 patches (that's usually a few years...)
4) Throw away. Would be interested in recycling options.
5) "Lightweight" butyl tubes seem fine. Have not used latex tubes.

FG/SS:
I remove the wheel. Keep a 15mm spanner with me, so no problem. Have patched in-situ on a hub gear bike, but more trouble than it's worth, I think, on a FG/SS.

- Christian

flydhest
09-14-2006, 01:37 PM
I agree with Christian on everything except for the detail of the Tiptop or whatever. I don't have any experience, but he sounds sufficiently emphatic I may have to give it a try. Oh, and the recylcing, I use old tubes for ankle strength training every so often. I have easily damaged ankles and since I don't run much any more, they don't get strengthened. Not much help as one lasts for ever.

I ride Phil fixie hubs, I just need an allen wrench that I have taped to a rail on the saddle. For the wife's Langster, the spanner goes in the saddle bag.

christian
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Nah, any old patch with proper vulcanizing fluid will do the trick. I just like the little orange halo around the Rema TipTop patches. And the green box.

Ozz
09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Replace the tube

N/A

Recycle tube as a bungie cord or such....eventually just toss in trash. No time to mess with patching a $4 tube.

Use around the house as needed...lastest use is as a handle extension on Radio Flyer Red wagon so I can pull kids around.

Some luck with Michelin...usually don't bother.

Skrawny
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I replace the tube, but also carry a small thing of self-adhesive patches, that way I never ride without some replacement option, and that way I can help out others who may be less well prepared.

When I get home I patch the old tube with the self-adhesive kit.

-s

alembical
09-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Ozz (and others who do not carry a patch kit),

How many tubes do you carry? Long rides, I sometimes carry 2 tubes, but even then, I can't imagine riding without a patch kit.

Thanks for the comments, Alembical

rsl
09-14-2006, 02:30 PM
I always carry a tube, and I used to always carry a patch kit (glue on) too. I learned my lesson walking barefoot to a payphone once because of double-flatting. However, I've misplaced my patch kit, and for about a 1000 miles I've been pushing my luck with just the spare tube.

If I flat on a ride, I'll replace the tube, and then patch the damaged one at home, which then just becomes the spare.

I probably patch a tube maybe 3 times before trashing it, although I would really like to know about recycling options.

Ozz
09-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Ozz (and others who do not carry a patch kit),

How many tubes do you carry? Long rides, I sometimes carry 2 tubes, but even then, I can't imagine riding without a patch kit.

Thanks for the comments, Alembical
1 tube, 2 CO2 cartridges, 2 tire levers, and a cell phone. I might have an adhesive patch kit in my seat bag...used to...don't recall if it is still there.

Most of my solo routes are less than 40 miles, and within a 20 minute drive of home. I figure if I get stuck, I'll call home for help. My routes are fairly clear of debris. I have only had two flats on one ride, once in the past 15 years. It is just such a rare occurrence, I am willing to take the chance.

If I am away from home or on a longer ride, I am typically in a group, so there are enough tubes to go around.

Dekonick
09-14-2006, 04:36 PM
1st flat - change tube

2nd flat use patch kit

-patch at home and use - probably 2-3 patches and its to the trash.

Fixie - take off wheel, but I might give the patch in place idea a try...

I use generic patches and tubes.

:)

palincss
09-14-2006, 06:38 PM

Replace the tube -- unless I've had so many flats I've already run through my spare tubes.

Glue. Self-adhesive patches are a waste of time and materials: they will eventually let go, and I wasn't able to remove the residue they left behind and properly patch the tube. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me... As for how many times will I patch a tube, if there's room for another patch where the hole is, I'm patching it. Back 30 years ago, it seems tubes were better constructed, because I had one that was all patch by the time I was forced to discard it because the last hole was in a spot between patches that was too small to patch. But today, the valves seem to fail long before all the rubber is covered with patches.

Garbage can.

They seem to ride nice, but they're definitely more fragile, and patching them is significantly more difficult. The rubber is so thin it tears easily when you try to abrade it. It can be done, but you sometimes lose. The heavier tubes don't do that.

Marcusaurelius
09-14-2006, 06:54 PM
I always try to ride with someone who rides about the same size frame as I do just in case I get a puncture. It's always easier to switch bikes than it is to change a tire. :)

LONE RIDER
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I carry a spare tube and replace it. I keep the old tube mainly because I don't want to litter. I do carry patches in case of a double flat or a latent failure due to an imbedded thorn or glass. Basically with the cost of tubes when on sale I just toss the old tube. I have had occasion to have a tube that goes many miles without flatting and I have had the valve stem become rotten at its base - usually found when installing the pump head. This valve stem tearing type of failure is catastrophic and is to be avoided at all costs. Thus my rational for just replacing the tube with fresh rubber when the opportunity presents itself. As for self sticking patches - mixed luck. Best results with Park but I have a feeling they too become less effective with age. Also, we all know the danger of opening a tube of patch glue and putting back the partially empty tube . Even with the cap screwed on tight it will eventually dry out. I have even checked on the tube by pressing on it and would swear it still had glue in it only to find out too late that it didn't. You have to open it and squirt out a little glue to be sure. Happy riding. :beer:

toaster
09-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I just love talking about me and how I deal with flats! Here we go:

1. Use only brand new tubes on rides, no patching.

2. N/A

3. Patching at home with Rema patches and vulcanizing cement purchased in bulk sized cans from auto parts store. Use Dremel Moto-Tool with abrasive attachment to rough up butyl rubber. I patch super light tubes once before tossing, normal butyl tubes maybe twice.

4. Toss tubes. Occasionally, I will cut up and make bands or find some use for pieces.

5. Super light weight tubes don't store well and will end up cracking from being folded. Best to use immediately and not use as spares. I have great luck with some brands when used in the tire soon after purchase and riding them until I deem them used. You pump them up more often but the weight is a nice benefit when used with light tires.

6. SS/fixie, always have 15mm wrench and repair flats like any other wheel.

Chad Engle
09-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Self-ahesive patches aren't worth it. The time saved vs. using the glue type is negated when the tire goes flat again because the adhesive dried up/gave out.

Back to op. If alone, patch, only takes a couple minutes. Riding with others, change tube out of courtesy. Keep patching tube until you can't patch any more.

Serpico
09-15-2006, 09:55 AM
okay, so the topic is "flat tire questions"--here's mine

I am just switching to co2

1) will one cartridge fill a whole tire?

2) is this pretty easy, or should I try to inflate a tire at home a few times to "get the hang of it"?

3) I have the innovations "ultraflate IH"--which is pretty dang big. Has anyone used the microflate? or should I stick with the ultraflate IH?

4) Do you cats worry about tire pressure--or is the goal just to get a useable wheel to hobble home on? Tire gauge?

thanks, hope this is sufficiently "on topic"

ColdRider
09-15-2006, 10:33 AM

2) is this pretty easy, or should I try to inflate a tire at home a few times to "get the hang of it"?

3) I have the innovations "ultraflate IH"--which is pretty dang big. Has anyone used the microflate? or should I stick with the ultraflate IH?

4) Do you cats worry about tire pressure--or is the goal just to get a useable wheel to hobble home on? Tire gauge?

To Serpico

1) One 16g will fill to 100ish PSI IIRC. 12g will do 80-90. I use a mini-pump to seat the tube (20-30 PSI) and use the CO2 the rest of the way. Going all out from 0 to 100 is risky, I have had beads unclinch because I was careless/lazy.

2) It's good to practice at least once in the quietness of your garage/basement just to get an idea of how it works. CO2 cartridges aren't really expensive. (Yay 12g wal-mart)

3) I have never used microflate, but am curious about them. Incidentally, I have the same one you do, works great and fits in my saddle bag. I use 12g, so I can "pre-load" the inflator without breaking the CO2 seal to save space. PM me for details.

4) I don't worry too much about pressure (to a certain extent), just so the tire is "hard" enough to keep me going

Back to OP

1) Extra tube, then patch
2) Real patches. Although I have self-adhesives I have not used yet
3) Real patch at home. 3-4 times
4) Unfortunately, garbage
5) Tried thin tubes. Fun at first, but when you start flatting, not so fun. Disclaimer, not a bash at LW tubes, IMO for riding around it's just not worth it, risk and price-wise.

HTH!,

-CR

Ozz
09-15-2006, 10:57 AM

I think I use one of the very first CO2 inflators made....it is just an aluminum tube. One side is threaded to fit onto the presta valve, the other side is threaded to fit on the CO2 cartridge, and has a "needle" to puncture the cartridge when threaded far enough. I think this is it:http://www.cyclesetsports.com/boutique_en_article_483.html

It works fine, and is about the size of a pen-cap. You only get one shot to get it right though. Small size was most important to me. I've had it for about 10 years. Used it at most, a dozen times in the field.

I use the 16g cartridges and get more than enough pressure - 100+ psi with 23 tires. Goal is to finish the ride. "Hobble" is pretty pessimistic outlook...once I inflate the tire, it is as good as new to me.

dzen
09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
I carry one tube, one patch kit and one combo C02 inflator or mini pump depending on bike/bag.

dzen
09-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh I replace the tube, I only patch if the second tube has issues for some reason.

If I find a flat at home I patch instead of replacing the tube. Two patches and I dump it.

Serotta PETE
09-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I think poor Dave has had more flats at Nottrott and at TDFL - THAN EVERYONE ELSE COMBINED>

His Karma has been very bad and for the NEW YEAR SPOKES AND I ARE SENDING HIM A DOZEN TUBES> Hope this will last for the next Serotta event..... :cool:

WE LOVE HIM - but could not stop going down the hill at TDFL when his tire went flat...............he was still back to DBRK's before us.

swoop
09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
this is how i roll. i have an empty bidon that has 2 tubes, 3 co2 canisters, a valve extender, a boot, 1 tire iron, and a tiny patch kit.

2 flats.. i have the tubes for.. any more past that and i have patches.

no 2 flats are created equal.... so the rest just depends.

i've never had it not work.

Serotta PETE
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
this is how i roll. i have an empty bidon that has 2 tubes, 3 co2 canisters, a valve extender, a boot, 1 tire iron, and a tiny patch kit.

2 flats.. i have the tubes for.. any more past that and i have patches.

no 2 flats are created equal.... so the rest just depends.

i've never had it not work.

Dave needs this "care" kit also :D

H.Frank Beshear
09-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Dave needs this "care" kit also :D

Actually Pete he'd need one kit per day :D

rePhil
09-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I added a pair of tweezers to my patch kit. I have used them more than once to dig out something deeply imbedded.

max_powers
09-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Wrap some duct tape around a tire lever, use for tire cuts or whatever

bigbill
09-17-2006, 03:37 AM
I carry adhesive patches on my commuter. I run 28mm tires at 90# and have never had a problem with them on lower pressure tires. I have never had any luck with the adhesive patches on higher pressure tires. I usually just replace the tube unless I have time for a conventional type patch. If I am only carrying CO2, I change the tube. I carry two tubes on long rides as well as three CO2 cartidges. My commuter bag has two tubes and a minipump.

dekindy
09-17-2006, 08:21 AM
This topic gets lots of comments. I asked on another Forum how many and what type of backups people used and got lots of replies.

I carry a spare tube and glued patch kit. I had a flat the other day and ripped the stem off the spare tube while inflating it with my frame pump, hence the patch kit. I also added co2 cartridges in addition to my pump. I used to patch but now replace.

You can cut up your old tubes to make tire boots in case you have a tear in your tire and need the extra support to get you home. Some people used wadded up dollar bills if they have nothing else. I have no experience with lightweight tubes and wonder why anyone would be that fanatical about saving weight with something that critical.

Benjamin
09-17-2006, 10:54 PM

i typically carry two tubes and a patch kit. i've only had to use the patch kit a few times in the last 10 years (2+ flats in a ride).

plus, sitting on the side of the road and trying to find the leak is a pain in the butt and nobody wants to wait for that. i want to replace the tube and get back on the road in 5 minutes or less.

when i've exhausted my tube supply, i use the stick-on patches and replace the tubes when i get home. i don't like riding patched tubes.

new tube. not worth patching a $2 tube.

trash. i'm not aware of recycling options, but i would if i could.

waste of money.

i generally buy the cheapest performance/nashbar house tubes and order 50 or so tubes at a time when i get a 20% off coupon.

that usually covers me for the better part of the year and in my experience, cheap tubes last just as long as "the good stuff".

FIXED-GEAR / SS Riders:
How do you deal with a rear flat on a ride? Do you remove the wheel or try not to? Do any of you have the chains with the easy to remove links (do they even make these in the wider size)?

they do make 1/8" chains with masterlinks, but as a brakeless fixed rider, i shy away from those things.

when i flat, i take the wheel off and replace the tube (kind of hard to replace it otherwise). i carry a small campy peanut butter 15mm wrench in my bag. after a while, you get pretty good at reinstalling the wheel with decent chain tension.

i've heard of guys who just pull the tire off and patch the tube without ever moving the wheel. trying to locate and patch a puncture while sitting on the roadside with the wheel still on the bike just doesn't sound plesant.

Avispa
09-17-2006, 11:37 PM

By all means, I REPLACE! A couple of years ago, I decided to patch a tube and it took me longer than I wanted.... By the time I finished, it was dusk and the mosquitos ATE me alive! In any case, I want to get home ASAP when I am on a ride and I just don't have the time or patience to be patching... I also ride to get a workout, not going on an expedition; so I try to carry as little as possible on my jersey pockets. Glue and patches are not one of the things you'll find on mine.

2) If you use patches on rides, do you use the self-adhesive or the real ones that need glue? N/A

I don't fix a pinched tube, ever. I have had bad luck using tubes that have flatted in the past. BTW, I use a lot of latex tubes or light (50g) tubes, therefore, I refuse to (or simply can't) fix these... BTW, I don't usually spend more than 2 or 3 dollars on (regular) tubes and I try to get the best brand on eBay.

I'd like to know how to recycle bike tubes. It must not be good, just to dump them in the trash.

The only lighter tubes I've had a hard time is with Panaracer GreenLite and Ksyrium wheels. I think since the Ksyriums do not use rim tape, the tube has to be pretty strong in the valve area. Greenlites are not that great there... But they are great riding tubes on most other rims.

:)