PDA

View Full Version : Italian wheelset brands?

VTR1000SP2
10-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Hey,

Gathering parts for a full italian old steel build and all I have left is the wheelset. This bike will have modern components and I'm leaning towards mid-depth carbon wheels. In that regard, I've found the following brands as options for the wheelset:

- Ambrosio
- Campagnolo
- Micro Tech
- WR Compositi
- Ursus
- Miche

Any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

PepeM
10-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Spada
Extralite

oldguy00
10-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Edit, see you want modern components.
OK, I'd go with the shallower Campy bora's

CSKeller
10-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Campy Boras! I am wishing for a set of the Bora 35s.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

choke
10-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Campy seems the obvious choice....they're easy to find and have a great reputation.

If you want something more esoteric there are FIR wheels.

https://www.fir-ruote.it/ruote/corsa/

I found a place that sells them in Australia (there are probably others but I didn't look very hard) - https://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/bike-parts/wheels/fir-italia-wheels/fir-road-wheels.html

ultraman6970
10-02-2017, 08:14 PM
I was going to say FIR, the problem is that are super hard to find in the US.

dogrange
10-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Deda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huck*this
10-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Also Deda and 3T, FSA, Carbon-Ti. Personally I would go Campy.

sales guy
10-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Everyone forgot Fulcrum. Yeah, it's Campy in reality. But it's still an Italian option.

In the end, when it comes to a Campy bike, stick with a Campagnolo made wheel. Honestly, they just work better. Less noise. Better shifting. And they are pretty durable and look really nice.

acorn_user
10-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Gipiemme would be another option.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPGIT155U/gipiemme-tecno-155-ultralight--clincher-700c-wheelset

spacemen3
10-02-2017, 11:53 PM
PMP and FRM.

VTR1000SP2
10-03-2017, 06:08 AM
Glad I asked this question, so many brands I didn't consider and while Campagnolo may be the obvious choice, I would prefer a non G3 laced rear but this doesn't exist in the Bora lineup.

huck*this
10-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Glad I asked this question, so many brands I didn't consider and while Campagnolo may be the obvious choice, I would prefer a non G3 laced rear but this doesn't exist in the Bora lineup.

That is where Fulcrum comes in.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/bikes-and-gear/components/wheel-sets/20161209-6p6a3201-untitled-1481603538835-2sw8ua7pyv50-630-80.jpg

Black Dog
10-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Not sure if Cormia is Italian or not.

tuscanyswe
10-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Not sure if Cormia is Italian or not.

Corima? They are french

oldpotatoe
10-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Hey,

Gathering parts for a full italian old steel build and all I have left is the wheelset. This bike will have modern components and I'm leaning towards mid-depth carbon wheels. In that regard, I've found the following brands as options for the wheelset:

- Ambrosio
- Campagnolo
- Micro Tech
- WR Compositi
- Ursus
- Miche

Any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Get some Record hubs and I'll find some Ambrosio, FIR, NISI rims and I'll build you a set..gotta use Belgium spokes tho..Sapim..Swiss(DT) inna pinch..

jemoryl
10-03-2017, 08:48 AM
I thought FiR went out of business several years ago? Maybe there is NOS stuff floating around. MicroTech is the Basso house brand but I have been told that the wheels are made by Miche (at least the aluminum ones).

ultraman6970
10-03-2017, 09:03 AM
FIR is still there, like many italian brands they dont do marketing neither magazines maybe out of italy. They have really nasty looking wheels.

Edco is not italian but they have decent finished stuff aswell.

mayal7
10-03-2017, 11:36 AM
get some record hubs and i'll find some ambrosio, fir, nisi rims and i'll build you a set..gotta use belgium spokes tho..sapim..swiss(dt) inna pinch..

+1

VTR1000SP2
10-03-2017, 12:03 PM
This sounds like an alloy wheel build which I already have. Am looking for a carbon set.

Get some Record hubs and I'll find some Ambrosio, FIR, NISI rims and I'll build you a set..gotta use Belgium spokes tho..Sapim..Swiss(DT) inna pinch..

oldpotatoe
10-03-2017, 04:22 PM
This sounds like an alloy wheel build which I already have. Am looking for a carbon set.

Bora or various Fulcrum

homagesilkhope
10-03-2017, 04:25 PM
FIR is still there, like many italian brands they dont do marketing neither magazines maybe out of italy. They have really nasty looking wheels.

Edco is not italian but they have decent finished stuff aswell.

The Arrigoni family shut FIR down in 2006 (a couple years after company-founder Giovanni had died) to concentrate on their auto dealership in Bergamo. The Venetian family that owns Gipiemme picked up the FIR brand about five years ago and makes (assembles?) wheelsets in their facility outside Castelfranco Veneto.

Swiss-based Edco provided hubs to FIR in the old days. About the same time as the FIR shutdown, Sapim sold off Edco to a couple of engineers whose Dutch company just went through bankruptcy proceedings earlier this year (hub production was still based in Switzerland). The Dutch company's assets (including Edco) were bought out of bankruptcy last summer, and the new owners have supposedly moved Edco headquarters to Arizona and picked Paul Lew to run the company. Not sure where Edco products will come from in the future, but not thinking Italy.

owly
10-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Would a 29er wheelset suit? :cool:

GrigioCarbonio rims, with Carbon-ti hubs and Alpina spokes :eek:

100% Italy

Edit: GrigioCarbonio tubular road rims. Look at the weight on these puppies!
http://www.dream-bikes.it/shop/en/541-rims

VTR1000SP2
10-03-2017, 05:35 PM
The Arrigoni family shut FIR down in 2006 (a couple years after company-founder Giovanni had died) to concentrate on their auto dealership in Bergamo. The Venetian family that owns Gipiemme picked up the FIR brand about five years ago and makes (assembles?) wheelsets in their facility outside Castelfranco Veneto.

Swiss-based Edco provided hubs to FIR in the old days. About the same time as the FIR shutdown, Sapim sold off Edco to a couple of engineers whose Dutch company just went through bankruptcy proceedings earlier this year (hub production was still based in Switzerland). The Dutch company's assets (including Edco) were bought out of bankruptcy last summer, and the new owners have supposedly moved Edco headquarters to Arizona and picked Paul Lew to run the company. Not sure where Edco products will come from in the future, but not thinking Italy.

Great intel! Thanks.

VTR1000SP2
10-03-2017, 05:36 PM
Would a 29er wheelset suit? :cool:

GrigioCarbonio rims, with Carbon-ti hubs and Alpina spokes :eek:

100% Italy

No but you have me thinking about the Carbon-Ti hubs. I am a fan of their build quality and hub spec.

sales guy
10-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Paul Lew was just going to be the North American distributor/importer. That changed when the bankruptcy happened.

As for where product is coming from, the rims they use are made by Reynolds in Asia. The more recent ones(last couple years) are older Reynolds ones that are modified on the outer layer of carbon. They are working on new ones more specific to Edco but they will be made by Reynolds.

The hubs are going to be the same, made by the people who make the entry level Reynolds hubs. I don't remember the name but I will ask again. Too many Asian hub companies the all kind of blend together at times.

sokyroadie
10-04-2017, 04:08 AM
The hubs are going to be the same, made by the people who make the entry level Reynolds hubs. I don't remember the name but I will ask again. Too many Asian hub companies the all kind of blend together at times.

Not sure now but KT made them for years.

Jeff

homagesilkhope
10-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Originally Paul Lew was just going to be the North American distributor/importer. That changed when the bankruptcy happened.

As for where product is coming from, the rims they use are made by Reynolds in Asia. The more recent ones(last couple years) are older Reynolds ones that are modified on the outer layer of carbon. They are working on new ones more specific to Edco but they will be made by Reynolds.

It'll be interesting to see if the Swiss cross (in the branding) survives. Seems the argument for it's getting thinner and thinner.

VTR1000SP2
10-23-2017, 02:53 PM
In case anyone is wondering, I was also on the search for Italian made pedals and it seems the only current pedal manufacturer located in Italy is Favero. In an email response from their support team it was confirmed that their pedals are 100% made in Italy.

Mark McM
10-23-2017, 03:08 PM
In case anyone is wondering, I was also on the search for Italian made pedals and it seems the only current pedal manufacturer located in Italy is Favero. In an email response from their support team it was confirmed that their pedals are 100% made in Italy.

From completely domestic parts and materials? Are all the metals mined and smelted in Italy, all the plastics, carbon fiber and paints made from petroleum pumped and refined in Italy, and all the bearings and bolts manufactured in Italy?

We are living in a highly interconnected world economy, and have been since pre-historical times.

VTR1000SP2
10-23-2017, 03:26 PM
From completely domestic parts and materials? Are all the metals mined and smelted in Italy, all the plastics, carbon fiber and paints made from petroleum pumped and refined in Italy, and all the bearings and bolts manufactured in Italy?

We are living in a highly interconnected world economy, and have been since pre-historical times.

Not much is locally sourced and manufactured so I didn't want to be that specific but I imagine it's not 100%.