PDA

View Full Version : Longtime Sidi users...anybody switch to another brand

Kingfisher
10-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Been wearing sidi road shoes since mid 80's and loved them
But I just got a new pair of genius 7 carbons that just don't feel that great
Thinking of trying another brand. Anyone else previously in my situation and
Have a success story with another road shoe?

Gern
10-02-2017, 12:13 PM
I have wide feet with a significant size discrepancy between them. I wore Sidi Dominators for about 15 years. I went to Lake 237's last year. The Lake last seems to fit somewhat better, and there is adequate room for my custom orthotics. The Lakes are built well-enough. The Sidi shoes seem a bit higher quality. I also know that I like ratchets and straps better than Boa closures (I may be in thee minority on that one).

Idris Icabod
10-02-2017, 12:21 PM
I've used Sidi for the last 15 years or so. I tried some Giro road and mountain shoes but the toe box was too narrow for me. Went back to Sidi. Still need to sell the Giros...

Vientomas
10-02-2017, 12:30 PM
I went to Shimano and Giro shoes from Sidi.

zennmotion
10-02-2017, 12:48 PM
Giro Factor feels very similar to my feet than my Sidi Genius 5s, or Pro Lights (pretty much same shoe with no buckle). Or just find a NOS pair of Genius 5s, newer is not necessarily mo better with shoes. Giro insoles with these things are better than Sidis anyway.

Tickdoc
10-02-2017, 12:51 PM
sidi<fizik<Lake. I like the Lakes best. They feel like they were made for me.

lhuerta
10-02-2017, 12:57 PM
....after 25 years of using Sidi I too recently gave up on them (changing last size on newer models was inconsistent). Currently on Specialized S-Works 6 and Lake CX402...both amazing

mayal7
10-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Lake have become my SIDI's

veggieburger
10-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Gaerne. They don't get a whole lotta love, but the quality is on par with Sidi, and the fit very similar IMO.

MattTuck
10-02-2017, 01:29 PM
My Sidi's are going on 20,000 miles. Not sure if that is a lot or not. Feels like a lot.

I'd love to get new shoes, but some of the prices that these shoes cost is ridiculous. I was looking at Bont to deal with my wide, high instep feet that require a tall insole for my arch.... but price is too high.

I'm probably just going to keep wearing the Sidi's (that I don't even consider a very good fit) until they fall apart.

CPP
10-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Went from Northwave to Sidi and now use Specialized S works 6.

They are stiff and compared to Sidi, very light. The fit is very good as well, wide enough in front with a very snug heel.

I really liked the Sidi perforated Wires but eventually wanted something lighter. The S Works work really well and the Boas are a no brainer!

simplemind
10-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Gaerne. They don't get a whole lotta love, but the quality is on par with Sidi, and the fit very similar IMO.

Second that opinion. Still made by hand in the same factory and I think by the same family. Great shoes.

vqdriver
10-02-2017, 02:05 PM
is there a particular fit issue that you're addressing? wide/narrow/tall/etc...
would help steering you towards another brand.

myself, i went from specialized wide to sidi mega to shimano wide with my lastest shoes. fit great and tho expensive, not nearly on the same level as the upper end sidis.

macaroon
10-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Giro felt the most similar to a Sidi IMO, the quality is no where close though. Sidis just last, I always end up back at Sidi.

I'd check out Gaerne though, they're decent quality.

Mikej
10-02-2017, 03:10 PM
That's the problem with Sidi's - they last so long you don't have to worry about switching very often. I'm in Drakos and Wires, Drakos need replacing after 5 seasons and I might try the Shimano sphyre top end model.

uber
10-02-2017, 03:22 PM
I went from Sidi to Giro Empire. I love the fit and the laces.

54ny77
10-02-2017, 03:22 PM
live in sidi mega's till i found shimano in wide. they're wider.

pdmtong
10-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I find the fit of sidi to vary across the models. the wire fits better than the genius. I have tried shimano, DMT, specialized, sidi and giro. sidi and giro work best for me.

ptourkin
10-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Everyone has different contact points. I generally find discussions about things that touch our extremities fairly useless. I switched from Sidis to Vittoria Ikons and have 20,000 miles of happiness. YMMV

homagesilkhope
10-02-2017, 03:58 PM

Headquarters of the two are 2 km's apart. Yep, they're similar.

summilux
10-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Long time Sidi user switched to Lake. Lake is fine but I didn't like BOA and prefer the Sidi ratchet. Went back to Sidi. LBS carries Sidi spares, a definite plus.

CSKeller
10-02-2017, 04:38 PM
This will show my age but...

I was on Sidis but they were too narrow so I have been on Carnacs since.

They are on their last legs so I am looking for something new that will be wide enough. I want to try Lakes but can't seem to find anyone around CO that carries them.

I am really contemplating on trying Luck out of Spain.
http://luck-bike.es/en/

From what I can find, it looks like I can get a pair of full custom shoes for just a touch over $300 US... May be worth trying out!

Big Dan
10-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Can't quit my Sidi's...

tiretrax
10-02-2017, 04:50 PM
I went from Sidi to Giro Empire. I love the fit and the laces.

Love laces. Should they be called cotton boa's?

Dana Kilalps
10-02-2017, 05:37 PM
My Sidi's are going on 20,000 miles. Not sure if that is a lot or not. Feels like a lot.

I'd love to get new shoes, but some of the prices that these shoes cost is ridiculous. I was looking at Bont to deal with my wide, high instep feet that require a tall insole for my arch.... but price is too high.

I'm probably just going to keep wearing the Sidi's (that I don't even consider a very good fit) until they fall apart.

You may be wearing them for a long time. I tried on a pair of Sidi Energy shoes in 2000 and they fit my foot better than any shoe I've ever put on. I bought them on the spot and after 65,000 miles I'm still wearing them. The toes now look like suede and this summer plastic parts cracked and the ratchet for the strap actually came off. I was able to drill holes in the detached ratchet part and stitched and glued it back on. They still feel great.

Abelicoln
10-02-2017, 07:42 PM
The laces may be trendy, but I find I get a lot less hot spots with my Giro Empires than the Sidis I had. I'm on my second pair.

carpediemracing
10-02-2017, 08:19 PM
I've been on Sidis for a long time, maybe 25-28 years (since 1990?). Very normal foot apparently, not really wide or whatever.

I'm going to buying some Bontragers this fall/winter. They seemed to fit well, they feel much lighter, like I was wearing just socks. I was unimpressed with the earlier Bontragers from a few years ago but these, they seem better somehow.

berserk87
10-02-2017, 08:31 PM
I have ridden Sidi Megas for years. They aren't wide enough at the forefoot, really. I barely touch the velcro straps to the shoe, and hardly ratchet them down either.

I have a pair with the heel retention system, which is great for me. I have a narrow heel and this helps keep it from sliding around.

May have to look at Lake and Shimano wide. Bont was another that has been recommended. Experimentation with shoes can get pricey. Seems like to have to buy and try (on a long ride, for example) before you can be sure a shoe works.

madsciencenow
10-02-2017, 09:00 PM
I like my sidi wires fine and also have a pair of the shimano r321s. I ended up with the 321s after buying the xc90s for MTBing and loving the fit. The 321s are nice but not as great as the sidi wires or the xc90s. I also still have my first pair of PIs which are heavy and not well vented. I reserve them for cold weather rides and use on the trainer.

I’ve had my eye on the s-works 6, lake and giro empires but so far haven’t pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lionel
10-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Not messing with shoes anymore. Been riding Sidi forever and tried to switch a few times (Lake, Spe, etc....) and always came back to Sidi as I found out I am quite sensitive there and it led to knee pain or foot pain etc...

If it is not broken don't fix it

bismo37
10-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Started on Sidis for years and also arrived at the decision they were no longer a good fit for me. Shimano is where I landed after a stint with Bonts.

Shimano shoes are durable like Sidis but fit my paws better with a wide toe box and good arch support. I think the quality is great despite not being Lorica or whatever Sidi uses. Stiffer than my older Dominators and Ergos. Shimanos are kinda blah in looks though. The newest models are a bit flashier if that's a need.

The Bonts are great shoes. Lightweight and stiff. I just don't like the polished carbon sole and tiny rubber grips on the bottom. The shoes get scratched and marred easily unless you ride purely on the the road and rarely set a foot down.

I have a pair of Northwave winter road boots which have been a good fit too.

dpk501
10-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Last Sidi I had were the Genius 2 then Time and Carnac shoes showed me a better way towards comfort. Now Bont, Lake and Shimano tops the list for my non-euro feet.

Kingfisher
10-03-2017, 06:59 AM
OP here, so I thought it was new pair of sidi's, so i rode older pair on yesterday's ride, same pain, left foot outside to left of little toe, pic taken right after ride. I can't find anything online that describes what this is, swollen and slightly painful, but walking ok. Anybody ever have this problem...any podiatrists on board?

Rpoole8537
10-03-2017, 07:16 AM
I went from Sidi 5's to Giro Factor. The Giro are just more comfortable and my feet feel better after a ride. Sidi's are very well made, and I started with a pair of Sidi 3's in the late 90's and I loved them. I rode them until they fell apart.

dpk501
10-04-2017, 12:56 AM
OP here, so I thought it was new pair of sidi's, so i rode older pair on yesterday's ride, same pain, left foot outside to left of little toe, pic taken right after ride. I can't find anything online that describes what this is, swollen and slightly painful, but walking ok. Anybody ever have this problem...any podiatrists on board?

Those feet do not look healthy...go see one in person!