PDA

View Full Version : Is this tire toast?

ontarget
10-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Got home from my ride yesterday and saw something as I was hanging my bike up. See photo. Looks like the cords showing through. Is that what I'm seeing? If so, I imagine this tire is toast.

It's a shame if it is. I've only got about 1600 miles on this Rubino Pro G+. It's my first time trying these tires, having switched over from GP4000s due to sidewall failures. I otherwise like the tires, but I'm used to getting well over twice the mileage before a tire is worn out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/b25c07303ffead97f59c4fcdabf9377c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GregL
10-01-2017, 11:19 AM
It's done.

Greg

MattTuck
10-01-2017, 11:26 AM
time for trainer duty.

1600 isn't bad, depending on the tire. Don't know about those. but I've had tires wear out in 1200-1300 miles before. I'm a bigger guy.

My current gravel kings seem to be lasting pretty good. around 2000 miles. About as good as you can reasonably expect for a tire I bought for 29 bucks.

sdrides
10-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Gonzo. 1600 seems low to me but it's really variable depending on the tire and conditions. I wouldn't ride that tire anymore, if only because of the very likely inconvenience of an unrepairable blowout.

ontarget
10-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Ken Robb
10-01-2017, 12:38 PM
That tire is SO worn I think I would have considered it used up several hundred miles ago. When a tread pattern that deep is worn smooth there is very little rubber left between you and a flat. Do you lock up that wheel when stopping?

veggieburger
10-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Was going to ask the same thing - looks like a brake lockup and looooong skid. She's kaput, I'm afraid.

Ozrider
10-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Why do you even have to ask if it's worn out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
10-01-2017, 02:37 PM
I don't remember ever seeing a tire with so much more wear on one side than the other. Could your wheel have been crooked in the dropouts?

MikeD
10-01-2017, 02:39 PM
You’re saying Conti’s get twice the treadwear mileage? Guess I’ll cross Rubino Pros off my list.

Peter P.
10-01-2017, 03:03 PM
That tire easily has 50k miles left on it.

Now THIS is a worn tire. I get my money's worth out of tires!

ontarget
10-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Those of you who think the tire is worn through the tread aren't familiar with Rubinos. There's a smooth rib in the center, with tread on the side. If you look carefully (or even not carefully, as it's quite obvious), you can see the margins of the center rib in the image I attached. I've attached an image of a brand new Rubino tire for reference. I've never once locked the wheel and skidded.

One of you mentioned asymetrical wear. I think this tire may have been defective from the factory. When I took it off to change it I noticed that the center rib isn't evenly spaced between the beads. A brand new spare of the same brand and model is evenly spaced.

Thank you to those of you who genuinely tried to help. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/bf922e9f0248e4c30e55b073e62bdd90.jpg

fogrider
10-01-2017, 04:22 PM
the thing with riding worn tires is the greater chance of getting a flat. and you never know when you might get the flat. it might be when you come to a stop sign or it could be when you're descending at 40 mph going into a tight turn. You know you will need to put a new tire on, why take the risk? if you like the tire, you should have bought one and have it ready to go. Next time, before it wears down that much, swap it with the front to extend the life of your tires.

palincss
10-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Those of you who think the tire is worn through the tread aren't familiar with Rubinos. There's a smooth rib in the center, with tread on the side. If you look carefully (or even not carefully, as it's quite obvious), you can see the margins of the center rib in the image I attached. I've attached an image of a brand new Rubino tire for reference. I've never once locked the wheel and skidded.

I don't think it's the smooth rib in the center that's the issue, rather the spots where there's no rubber left in that smooth area and the underlying casing of the tire is showing through that are the problem. At least, that sure is what those white areas look like to me!

Mikej
10-01-2017, 04:55 PM
It's fine, that'll buff out-

Seramount
10-01-2017, 05:07 PM
yah, that one's roached.

1600 miles seems like an extremely short life span.

tried some Rubino Pro Slick IIs a while back, they were toast in short order too.

if I get less than 3K from a tire, I usually don't buy that brand/model again (unless they're at a dirt cheap sales price).

my benchmark, Conti 4KIIs, routinely last 4-5K on the rear.

AJosiahK
10-01-2017, 05:09 PM
very done

parris
10-01-2017, 06:23 PM
I just changed out a Pro 4 Service Course that had similar wear. I see it as a win :banana:

stien
10-01-2017, 06:50 PM
I consider wearing things out a badge of honor. While 1600 is a meager amount of mileage for us (we are sub 150 and sub 130 usually). Your mileage has varied.

I have some many mismatched tires hanging in the shop I can't wait to wear them out. Winter training is the best time for that.

mcfarton
10-01-2017, 08:40 PM
You only have 2 safety features that touch the road.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Black Dog
10-01-2017, 08:44 PM
I don't remember ever seeing a tire with so much more wear on one side than the other. Could your wheel have been crooked in the dropouts?

Even wear. The picture is taken from an angle.

regularguy412
10-01-2017, 11:09 PM
FWIW, the Rubino Pros 23 mm I've used in the past (mebbe 3 sets) have all kinda worn through a bit on the early side. That said, they are a relatively inexpensive tire that corners well and has never let me down.

I've since switched to Vredestein Comp Race in 23mm that have similar specs but seem to have lasted MUCH longer. In fact, the one set of Vreds have lasted this entire year,,, say over 2,500 miles. And I'm no lightweight. The front is quite good still, but I can tell the rear is getting a bit thin in the center.

As for the tire in the pic, ya don't want that one to go pop when you're 30 miles from home.

Mike in AR:beer:

simplemind
10-02-2017, 07:29 AM
My uneducated guess is that during the manufacturing/molding process, either the fabric didn't get seated properly in the mold or the outer rubber wrap was thinner in that area (think bubble). Curious if the tire is/was round or was there a slight hop.
Either way, I believe you have a case for a "defective" claim.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2017, 07:59 AM
My uneducated guess is that during the manufacturing/molding process, either the fabric didn't get seated properly in the mold or the outer rubber wrap was thinner in that area (think bubble). Curious if the tire is/was round or was there a slight hop.

Doubt it...these tires are pretty 'sticky', in the 'no such thing as a free lunch' category, sticky tires don't last as long. BUT, IME, show a worn out tire to a tire rep, distributor or manufacturer and doubt you will ever see a warranty. First 2 or 3 rides and you see this..yup but not the pictured tire.

IMHO, of course.

El Chaba
10-02-2017, 08:17 AM

Good Lord.... The thing is worn out as in used up...

simplemind
10-02-2017, 08:24 AM

That too! :)

El Chaba
10-02-2017, 08:44 AM
That too! :)

Okay...I bit on that one!...LOL

MikeD
10-02-2017, 08:46 AM

Uh, this is the way most tires wear.

sethjs
10-02-2017, 11:29 PM
I'm always surprised when people say they get 3000+ miles on a rear gp4000sii. I just replaced one at 1350 miles. That's about what I normally get. I replace them when I start to notice a "shelf" instead of a crown at the contract point as I've noticed that's about the point at which they become more puncture prone.

I think it comes down to local conditions and rider. I'm 160 pounds. Live in SF so almost everything's a climb or descent. And lots of glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdmtong
10-03-2017, 01:29 AM
Continental tires always wear flat - go by the two mfg dimples to assess wear

MikeD
10-03-2017, 09:16 AM
I'm always surprised when people say they get 3000+ miles on a rear gp4000sii. I just replaced one at 1350 miles. That's about what I normally get. I replace them when I start to notice a "shelf" instead of a crown at the contract point as I've noticed that's about the point at which they become more puncture prone.

I think it comes down to local conditions and rider. I'm 160 pounds. Live in SF so almost everything's a climb or descent. And lots of glass.

I can’t picture what you are describing, but I discard my tires when they look like the OPs photo. 1350 miles? That’s pitiful mileage and venture a guess that you are discarding your tires too early. I would go by the dimples in the tire being worn down.

Seramount
10-03-2017, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=sethjs;2241959]I'm always surprised when people say they get 3000+ miles on a rear gp4000sii. I just replaced one at 1350 miles. That's about what I normally get. I replace them when I start to notice a "shelf" instead of a crown at the contract point as I've noticed that's about the point at which they become more puncture prone. /QUOTE]

just looked at my rear tire...

at 2K miles, there's just the faintest indication of the contact point starting to square off.

if that's when you're discarding yours, no wonder you only getting 1350 miles.

sethjs
10-04-2017, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=sethjs;2241959]I'm always surprised when people say they get 3000+ miles on a rear gp4000sii. I just replaced one at 1350 miles. That's about what I normally get. I replace them when I start to notice a "shelf" instead of a crown at the contract point as I've noticed that's about the point at which they become more puncture prone. /QUOTE]

just looked at my rear tire...

at 2K miles, there's just the faintest indication of the contact point starting to square off.

if that's when you're discarding yours, no wonder you only getting 1350 miles.

Hmm... So I discard them once the shelf starts to become reasonably pronounced largely because that seems to correlate with when they're more likely to flat. I'm sure I could ride them for at least another 800 miles or so before working through the rubber.

That said I just noticed I needed to replace a Dura Ace chain at 1350 miles, which surprised me. It was showing that wear was in between .5 and .75, and add I understand it on 11 speed you want to change the chain around there. 1350 was surprisingly low mileage to be. But again, I'm basically always either climbing or descending and I weigh 160. So I'd imagine faster wearing chain, faster wearing tire.

Louis
10-04-2017, 12:53 AM

The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back!