PDA

View Full Version : Di2 Battery Dead?

thermalattorney
09-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Here's a head-scratcher: Was going to ride tomorrow, plugged my bike in to charge but the light didn't come on. I'm using the internal SM-BTR2 model.

The battery is not detected in the E-Tube software (all the other Di2 components are) and no status lights appear on the A junction.
Tried cleaned the contacts, tried a different cable, even tried plugging it directly into the A junction. Nada.

Any idea why this would happen? The battery itself is less than 2 years old. It had over 50% charge last time it was used 3 weeks ago.

peanutgallery
09-30-2017, 08:07 PM
1) Call Stetina direct at Shimano USA, tell him you bought it from the UK and you're having a problem. PM me for his direct line, they loooooove to speak with customers

2) new battery is like a hundred some odd bucks, so there's that option

3) Local, pro LBS can hook it up and figure it out for a well earned price...plus parts. They'd be doing you a favor as Shimano USA is not a friend of the LBS and the shop is a sucker to have the parts available and the diagnostic tool on hand

4) Make sure all wires are connected properly

5) you have an expensive paper weight/wall art

radsmd
09-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Sounds like the connection of the wire to the battery. Have this issue on 2 of my bikes. I wrapped some electrical tape around the connection and is holding fine.

I'm sure that is what it is.

Jgrooms
09-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Cue the cable guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore
10-01-2017, 07:56 AM
They do fail, I had one do it mid ride.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Here's a head-scratcher: Was going to ride tomorrow, plugged my bike in to charge but the light didn't come on. I'm using the internal SM-BTR2 model.

The battery is not detected in the E-Tube software (all the other Di2 components are) and no status lights appear on the A junction.
Tried cleaned the contacts, tried a different cable, even tried plugging it directly into the A junction. Nada.

Any idea why this would happen? The battery itself is less than 2 years old. It had over 50% charge last time it was used 3 weeks ago.

Me thinks it is

ptourkin
10-01-2017, 09:10 AM
1) Call Stetina direct at Shimano USA, tell him you bought it from the UK and you're having a problem. PM me for his direct line, they loooooove to speak with customers

2) new battery is like a hundred some odd bucks, so there's that option

3) Local, pro LBS can hook it up and figure it out for a well earned price...plus parts. They'd be doing you a favor as Shimano USA is not a friend of the LBS and the shop is a sucker to have the parts available and the diagnostic tool on hand

4) Make sure all wires are connected properly

5) you have an expensive paper weight/wall art

Have had the exact opposite experience. Shimano provided the more specific diagnostic tool (the one that attaches to each individual component) to my builder/shop and when it did not reveal the answer, warrantied all the electronic components in my group, which was 34,000 miles old.

Shimano claims that the battery is very rarely the issue in these cases and that it is usually elsewhere.