PDA

View Full Version : Losing 10 pounds...

weisan
09-30-2017, 06:17 PM
I lost 10 pounds in the last three weeks.
Currently, at 5'9" 160 Ibs. At this point, I will focus more on strengthening the core, upper body and stretching, weight loss is secondary. But with the new adaptation to reduced caloric intake, I don't see any problem losing a few more pounds in the near term.

Today's ride was kind of a test. 70 miles.

Saw an amazing increase in overall endurance, power and speed, set some new milestones.

Back doesn't hurt, that always helps.

The new Giant bike was flawless.

The temp. hovered around 60-70 degrees, which is optimal for my body.

After a week of getting rained out here and not riding much, today I experienced the mythical "perfect ride."

Life is good.

rePhil
09-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Good for you. Congratulations!

KarlC
09-30-2017, 06:51 PM

How ? Details please

dustyrider
09-30-2017, 06:53 PM
The more you enjoy the ride the more you ride! Keep up the good work.

Clean39T
09-30-2017, 07:00 PM
Congrats!

Enjoy the PRs!!

tiretrax
09-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Good job. If I could find the time to ride, I'd be happy.

joosttx
09-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Good job but losing weight and strengthing are kinda inversely correalated.

BobbyJones
09-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Keep it up!

When the willpower is in question, repeat the mantra:

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"

*subject to dispute

Drmojo
09-30-2017, 10:35 PM
way to go Weisan pal!
So nice to hear postive stories like this.
I have a 10 lb wt gain plan--break your hip....

bshell
09-30-2017, 11:13 PM
That amounts to 1700 fewer calories per day for 21 days if all else stays the same (ie. life, work, riding)

saab2000
10-01-2017, 03:16 AM
Good job but losing weight and strengthing are kinda inversely correalated.

Not if it's fat loss.

biker72
10-01-2017, 06:30 AM
Percentage wise that's a significant amount of weight loss in a fairly short time.
What's the secret????

weisan
10-01-2017, 06:57 AM
I appreciate all the encouraging words.

I am not looking to bulk up too much, just increase overall strength of my body frame so I can support and hold myself up better and restore some imbalance.

Not sure if there's any secret except paying a bit more attention to what I eat and consciously taking smaller portions or sharing food with my kids. And getting used to the feeling of "hungry ".

Because I am coming from a place of low muscle, and over eating, it's really not that hard to gain a bit of strength and lose a bit of weight here and there. I reckon things will get a bit harder later on if I get serious and will take some real dedication and determination. For now, I am happy to take whatever gains I can get without really trying too hard.

The reason I am sharing or starting this thread is, hopefully, it will serve as an encouragement and motivation for others and secondly, just to express how amazed I was with the benefits gained through simple weight loss and body strengthening.

I have seen far too many stories of people getting over zealous or overly ambitious with what they were trying to achieve to the point of obsession or worst, they stalled or reverted back to their old ways and become worse than where they started. I believe in moderation, consistency, slow and steady progress, celebrate and express gratitude towards small successes and make sure you are doing it for the right reasons or motivations.

Bentley
10-01-2017, 07:09 AM
I appreciate all the encouraging words.

I am not looking to bulk up too much, just increase overall strength of my body frame so I can support and hold myself up better and restore some imbalance.

Not sure if there's any secret except paying a bit more attention to what I eat and consciously taking smaller portions or sharing food with my kids. And getting used to the feeling of "hungry ".

Because I am coming from a place of low muscle, and over eating, it's really not that hard to gain a bit of strength and lose a bit of weight here and there. I reckon things will get a bit harder later on if I get serious and will take some real dedication and determination. For now, I am happy to take whatever gains I can get without really trying too hard.

The reason I am sharing or starting this thread is, hopefully, it will serve as an encouragement and motivation for others and secondly, just to express how amazed I was with the benefits gained through simple weight loss and body strengthening.

I have seen far too many stories of people getting over zealous or overly ambitious with what they were trying to achieve to the point of obsession or worst, they stalled or reverted back to their old ways and become worse than where they started. I believe in moderation, consistency, slow and steady progress, celebrate and express gratitude towards small successes and make sure you are doing it for the right reasons or motivations.

I think you are thinking correctly. To build up strength without bulk consider the following: push-ups, pull-ups, planks, squats, and lunges. You do not need to add any weight to this and you will build muscle and tone. If you have access to a Concept 2 rower then you will have a winning package. Good luck and congratulations on your progress so far.

Ray

simplemind
10-01-2017, 07:13 AM

Good job there pal and you're on the mark with your advice! Still have to meet up w/ you and do hill repeats in your hood.

Are you following a specific strengthening program or winging it? I ask because I follow Bike James (bikejames.com)' blog for Mt. biking and I think he really knows his stuff.

Also, if you spend 3 months in a small town Colorado at elevation, that helps too! ;)

biker72
10-01-2017, 07:16 AM

+1
High carb, low carb, no carb.....they all work ....for a while. Moderation is the key.

dustyrider
10-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Good job there pal and you're on the mark with your advice! Still have to meet up w/ you and do hill repeats in your hood.

Are you following a specific strengthening program or winging it? I ask because I follow Bike James (bikejames.com)' blog for Mt. biking and I think he really knows his stuff.

Also, if you spend 3 months in a small town Colorado at elevation, that helps too! ;)

Hey, I’ve ridden with “trainer” James before. He’s one of those people that just inspires you simply by talking to him. Good folk for sure! I also like his workouts with the kettle bells and a mace. I just don’t have the discipline to stick with workouts aside from conditioning for running and riding my bike. So push-ups, crunches and planks is about all keep up with and even those sporadically at best.

Weisan-pal thanks for your style!:)

Tony T
10-01-2017, 08:25 AM

I may have found it. :)

MattTuck
10-01-2017, 11:34 AM
You inspired me. I've been drifting up since mid-summer, got down to the 193 and now back up around 200.

Back to using myfitnesspal and cutting back on the ice cream.

quickfeet
10-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Very nice! I've lost around 25 lbs in over the last three months but a big reason was due to a medical scare I had earlier this season. I feel a ton better after the weight loss! Keep it up

Ralph
10-01-2017, 02:40 PM
With me....to lose weight or keep weight off.....I mostly just have to eat less. Not very complicated. Just can't exercise enough to offset over eating.

For best health.....what you eat matters a lot. Especially as you get older...when you have to avoid hi blood sugar levels, hi blood pressure, high cholesterol levels. Folks who over eat tend to get diabetes (over simplification) ....a disease that gradually destroys your body.

So eat like your life depends on it....because at some point it does.

Congrats on the weight loss.

brownm68
10-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Great JOB! Keep up the good work:)

rousseau
10-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Kudos. I've lost three belt notches since January of this year when I had what the doctor says was probably a gastritis attack. I ate like a teenager for the first fifty years of my life. That's all over now.

I gave up pop, fruit juices, potato chips, greasy carbs, junk food, fast food, sweets, treats and all desserts. Went total cold turkey. Haven't been much of an alcohol drinker for years, so I was already ahead of the game there. I now have a purely utilitarian mentality about food. I eat the good stuff like chicken, salmon and steamed vegetables (beets, turnips, carrots, sweetpotatoes) because it makes me feel great.

Breakfast and dinner is mostly the same with very little variation. I allow myself some variety for lunch. It's actually a relief not wracking our brains every night wondering what we're going to have or make for dinner. My wife is on board with the changes I've made.

I know I'll feel like crap if I fall into the trap of snacking on junk, because I'm essentially an addict. I can't just have a donut one day a week; if I have one today, I'll have one tomorrow. And the next day. So I don't.

The result? I'm climbing faster. That is so amazingly gratifying!

Oh, now I have two hard-boiled eggs for breakfast. Getting some protein in at breakfast is critical for appetite and mood control, I find.

vqdriver
10-01-2017, 04:18 PM
I may have found it. :)

haha
there's some over here too.

weisan-pal. that's awesome and great level headed advice.

rallizes
10-01-2017, 04:28 PM
that is a big loss very quickly

any before/after pics you want to share?

soulspinner
10-02-2017, 05:51 AM
:banana::banana:

MattTuck
10-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Day 1 of the the weightloss effort. Up 1.3 pounds. lol. ugh.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2017, 08:18 AM

Might be cuz you are drinking more water...I lost 12 pounds over the last 2 or so months by 'riding lots'..more than I have for probably a decade...have not changed my eating habits, which I gotta say, is pretty good..all things in moderation..still enjoy a beer or 2...cheers!!

Mark McM
10-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Like Old Potato says, hydration levels can cause daily weight fluctuations - your weight can easily vary by a few pounds a day to day basis, if there are large changes in hydration. That's why weight loss has to be measured by long term trend in weight, not by daily weight fluctuations.

disspence
10-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Great job! Inspiring :banana:

etu
10-02-2017, 01:03 PM
And getting used to the feeling of "hungry ".

Weisan pal,
I lost 15lbs over 2-3 months last year with this point being the key. "Getting used feeling hungry". I told my friends I was getting intimate with hunger. It turns out a little hunger isn't too bad and the discomfort in you stomach goes away after a while. On the positive side, I feel more awake with mild hunger than when full. When you push the hunger envelop a bit to see what real hunger feels like, then you learn that serious hunger isn't your stomach growling, it's your whole body feeling weak and crappy.
I've gained 5-7lb back now (15 was too much), but remembering to embrace mild hunger keeps me confident that long term maintenance of this weight will not be that hard.

Mzilliox
10-02-2017, 01:30 PM
+1
High carb, low carb, no carb.....they all work ....for a while. Moderation is the key.

eating real food is the key, not fillers. calories are not the entire ballgame. nutrition value is much more important. so in summary, eat less meat, no soda, very little sugar, very little processed anything, more veggies, more beans and rice. less dessert. profit. it really is this simple, it only takes a change of purchasing habits.

nicrump
10-02-2017, 01:38 PM
And getting used to the feeling of "hungry ".

this is the key. period. end of story. oh, and eat real food.

eBAUMANN
10-02-2017, 01:42 PM
I lost 15lbs (180-->165) over the past 4 months simply by changing my diet. I moved from a "if it tastes good, eat it!" mentality to a vegetarian/mostly-vegan diet, cooking a lot more for myself, eating "whole" foods, fresh veggies, grains, etc.

I usually lose weight during CX season (due to more intense riding on a regular basis) but this time the weight dropped off before CX even began! Just wish I had the fitness to take advantage of it, ha.

But yea, i really feel like ive turned a corner recently as far as diet/nutrition is concerned. Feeling great about the food im eating, feeling great physically and mentally, pizza is the only guilty-pleasure of mine that still remains, and im ok with that :)

Mzilliox
10-02-2017, 01:49 PM
I lost 15lbs (180-->165) over the past 4 months simply by changing my diet. I moved from a "if it tastes good, eat it!" mentality to a vegetarian/mostly-vegan diet, cooking a lot more for myself, eating "whole" foods, fresh veggies, grains, etc.

I usually lose weight during CX season (due to more intense riding on a regular basis) but this time the weight dropped off before CX even began! Just wish I had the fitness to take advantage of it, ha.

But yea, i really feel like ive turned a corner recently as far as diet/nutrition is concerned. Feeling great about the food im eating, feeling great physically and mentally, pizza is the only guilty-pleasure of mine that still remains, and im ok with that :)

ive met all sort of people who drop fad diets. i have yet to meet someone who makes this change and does not see immediate and real lasting results of true health. the nutrition industry is an industry and they have lied to us sine it was an industry, its useful to make money off things which say "diet". but deep down we are animals and know better. and once you go with your gut (figuratively and literally) you will find the long term results you want for health.

weisan
10-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Things are still going well, pretty much stabilized and becoming more and more the new "normal" and sustainable for the long term.

I basically think about what I am doing for the day and eat accordingly.

Am I plowing 2 acres of farmland or feeding 200 chickens daily, like my grandfather did?

If the answer is yes, I can pretty much eat anything I want.

However, if I am just sitting on my butt the whole day, clicking the mouse 300 clicks and moving it within a 10 by 10 cm square, then I have no business plunking down a full size hamburger, large soda, and having dessert.

It's that simple. I judge how much I eat based on my activity level.

Also, I taper off the intake as the day gets later knowing that I will be moving around a lot less once I get home and things start to wind down. In other words, I try to eat a "bigger" meal earlier in the day when I am moving around more or doing something physical.

carpediemracing
10-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Thanks for sharing. I've learned the benefits of losing weight after doing so in 2010, but for me weight gain seems just too easy. I'm looking to lose 15 lbs or so (goal weight = under 160 lbs). I know that if I'm at 160 or just under then even low fitness levels are okay in races, even those with a little hill or extended difficult sections (i.e. strung out single file). At 170 lbs I have to be somewhat fit to contest even the easier races and as soon as it strings out I'm in serious trouble.

Congrats on your weight loss. And thanks for reminding me what it takes.

carpediemracing
10-09-2017, 08:49 AM
For others I'll add that one significant thing for me was cutting simple sugars as much as possible. With sugary foods I'd bonk pretty bad after a few hours, but with less sugary foods my energy levels seemed to stabilize. Never too peaky one way or another, so no big burst but also no big crash.

It takes me about 4-5 days to wean myself off of sugar, and during those days there are some serious bonk episodes. Then it evens out.

Work isn't great for food and I've been trying to wean myself off of sugar. Had some set backs recently but your post has encouraged me.

weisan
01-11-2018, 07:24 AM
I don't step on the weighing machine religiously every day. Heck, I couldn't even remember the last time I weighed myself. The thing ran out of battery awhile ago and I just got around to replacing it a few days ago.

Latest reading this morning : 151.8

velofinds
01-11-2018, 08:59 AM
Amazing. Well done.

texbike
01-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Latest reading this morning : 151.8

That is great Wei! Especially over the holidays! I've gone the other way and am about a lb over the high end of my normal range. If I could stay away from pop tarts and happy hours, I might get this knocked down fairly quickly. :)

Texbike

bob heinatz
01-11-2018, 01:51 PM
All great ideas on weight loss. I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months by cutting out candy and eating a very light dinner each night. Also no more snacking and nothing to eat at least 3 hours before I go to bed. I do exercise at least 5 days a week but for me a light dinner was the key.

joosttx
01-11-2018, 02:54 PM
All great ideas on weight loss. I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months by cutting out candy and eating a very light dinner each night. Also no more snacking and nothing to eat at least 3 hours before I go to bed. I do exercise at least 5 days a week but for me a light dinner was the key.

I have to agree with an early light dinner. Also a good nights rest.

eippo1
01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
I've fallen apart. No riding plus a pretty rigorous work schedule has led to a slide from 170 this summer to 198. It's the most I've ever weighed, but the funny thing is that I'm not the fattest I've been since I've been able to keep some muscle. That helps a bit since I can still fit in most of my pant, which isn't always the case.

That said, I've set up my basement with a new smart tv and my trainer so that I can get some riding in while catching up on shows. Wish I could figure out a way to couple trainer time with studying for my professional exams, but don't think I can make that happen.

weisan
01-21-2018, 09:34 AM
eippo pal, I hope you get back on track soon.

150.0 even

20 pounds.

Gone.

Rode with my usual group yesterday.

Went up that same super steep bastard*&@^#*@^ hill, always panting like crazy when we got to the top, hurt like hell...but this time was different.
Won't exactly say it was a walk in the park but...20 pounds is 20 pounds. Everyone was whining and groaning as usual...I just kept my mouth shut and make sure I didn't say anything. :p

Tickdoc
01-21-2018, 09:46 AM
I'm such an eater...love sugar and meat and beer. I have tried veganism and never made it passed the two week mark.

Roadkill looks tasty after one week.

I will typically gain 10 lbs over the winter (I'm at peak winter weight now) and just suffer it off come spring.

It's an even race between being fat and aerobically out of shape every winter this time of year.

Part of my reason to ride is so I can eat the foods I want, but as soon as the riding stops the weight piles back on.

Any tips on how to get past the two week barrier? I feel there could be hope on the other side, but I haven't been close enough to see.

I'll be sitting here with my mcDonalds breakfast waiting on your replies:eek:

rallizes
01-21-2018, 10:01 AM
That amounts to 1700 fewer calories per day for 21 days if all else stays the same (ie. life, work, riding)

that seems like crazy numbers

that would leave me with about 1000 calories a day

weisan
01-21-2018, 10:09 AM
I'll be sitting here with my mcDonalds breakfast waiting on your replies:eek:

tick pal, I just came home with my two youngest daughters from McD. doing our usual Sunday routine. We would always order one Big Breakfast with Hotcakes plus one extra harshbrown. And then, I would split it up three ways and share between the three of us - 40, 40, 20. I get the 20%.

See, I still eat from McD. But I make sure I share it with my kids...and this applies to any kind of indulgence.
This should give you hope.

You getting the drift so far?

It's not that you can't indulge every now and then when you are in a weight loss mode. In fact, you got to make sure you DO indulge every now and then or else you would lose touch of reality and it won't work.

I will give you a few ideas to munch on.

Eat as you would but smaller portions, much smaller. Eat for taste not to fill yourself.

Mindset change.
Everything you wrote there applies to me three months ago.
What has changed, you ask?

A mindset change.

Eat according to activity level
Eat more earlier in the day, eat less or not at all as the day wraps up and activity levels dropped drastically.
Don't do anything drastic.
Implement incremental changes.
Be realistic
Celebrate small successes by allowing yourself to indulge in previous cravings occasionally and smaller portions
Think long-term
Look beyond the two-weeks barrier.
Don't make this into some super-hard-climb-Everest Endeavor - it's not.
The less fanfare you can make it, the higher the chance of success.
Treat it almost like - I can do this anytime I want. It's my choice. You have no power over me. I am the master of my own health and my body. I call the shots.
Believe in your own ability to decide and determine the outcome. Because in reality, you really do have that power. Exercise that power.

simplemind
01-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Went up that same super steep bastard*&@^#*@^ hill, always panting like crazy when we got to the top, hurt like hell...but this time was different.
Won't exactly say it was a walk in the park but...20 pounds is 20 pounds. Everyone was whining and groaning as usual...I just kept my mouth shut and make sure I didn't say anything. :p

I'm where you were. In the last 6 weeks I've gained 6 lbs. and boy, can I feel it on the climbs! Always on the climbs :mad:

rallizes
01-21-2018, 10:40 AM
20 pounds lost?

so your body must be dramatically changed

would have thought you'd post some before aft pics

i'm sure they would be inspirational

weisan
01-21-2018, 10:58 AM
would have thought you'd post some before aft pics

rallizes, let me say this with utmost seriousness and respect...

I HATE ALL THE bEFORE AND aFTER SHOTS I see on magazines and tabloids.

It's completely antithetical to why I am doing this.

I am doing this for myself. Me.

Not for anyone else.

I understand it can serve as "inspirational" but that's missing the point.

velofinds
01-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Weisan has it nailed. Yes, what you eat has something to do with it but I think portion control is more important. So by all means indulge, just have less of it. If you're still feeling peckish afterwards, top off with fruit and veggies. Or better yet, have your fruits and veggies first (and the larger the serving, the better), then end with a bit of steak and potatoes or a slice of pizza or what have you.

fiamme red
01-21-2018, 11:04 AM
The cold weather lately has taken its toll on my weight, and I'm up to 185 lbs, an all-time high for me. My goal is to lose 5 lbs by the beginning of April.

I've stayed away from ice cream this winter, but it hasn't helped.

rallizes
01-21-2018, 11:06 AM
rallizes, let me say this with utmost seriousness and respect...

I HATE ALL THE bEFORE AND aFTER SHOTS I see on magazines and tabloids.

It's completely antithetical to why I am doing this.

I am doing this for myself. Me.

Not for anyone else.

I understand it can serve as "inspirational" but that's missing the point.

ok

i just figured if you were posting about it on a forum it wan't 'just for you'

carry on

Tickdoc
01-21-2018, 11:10 AM
tick pal, I just came home with my two youngest daughters from McD. doing our usual Sunday routine. We would always order one Big Breakfast with Hotcakes plus one extra harshbrown. And then, I would split it up three ways and share between the three of us - 40, 40, 20. I get the 20%.

See, I still eat from McD. But I make sure I share it with my kids...and this applies to any kind of indulgence.
This should give you hope.

You getting the drift so far?

It's not that you can't indulge every now and then when you are in a weight loss mode. In fact, you got to make sure you DO indulge every now and then or else you would lose touch of reality and it won't work.

I will give you a few ideas to munch on.

Eat as you would but smaller portions, much smaller. Eat for taste not to fill yourself.

Mindset change.
Everything you wrote there applies to me three months ago.
What has changed, you ask?

A mindset change.

Eat according to activity level
Eat more earlier in the day, eat less or not at all as the day wraps up and activity levels dropped drastically.
Don't do anything drastic.
Implement incremental changes.
Be realistic
Celebrate small successes by allowing yourself to indulge in previous cravings occasionally and smaller portions
Think long-term
Look beyond the two-weeks barrier.
Don't make this into some super-hard-climb-Everest Endeavor - it's not.
The less fanfare you can make it, the higher the chance of success.
Treat it almost like - I can do this anytime I want. It's my choice. You have no power over me. I am the master of my own health and my body. I call the shots.
Believe in your own ability to decide and determine the outcome. Because in reality, you really do have that power. Exercise that power.

Good stuff. My motivation is for me and my heart mainly but I get an extra boost from seeing posts like yours and riding with a long lost friend who recently dropped 40 (and me).

Next question that always trips me up.....what exactly are processed foods? I mean I hear it all the time but *** does that mean?

simplemind
01-21-2018, 11:43 AM
I really, really hate this stuff! No, really! :no:

http://barkthins.com/wp-content/themes/barkthins/images/new/almond-bag.png

I'm going to try another piece, just to make sure I still feel that way!

weisan
01-21-2018, 12:25 PM
ok

i just figured if you were posting about it on a forum it wan't 'just for you'

carry on

Let me add one more thing.

When i see those things...they reek of deception and shallowness.
That's why I hate them.

GonaSovereign
01-21-2018, 12:39 PM
eippo pal, I hope you get back on track soon.

150.0 even

20 pounds.

Gone.

Rode with my usual group yesterday.

Strength-to-weight ratio is your friend when you want it to be!

weisan
01-21-2018, 12:47 PM
I really, really hate this stuff! No, really! :no:

http://barkthins.com/wp-content/themes/barkthins/images/new/almond-bag.png

I'm going to try another piece, just to make sure I still feel that way!

Mine too!

My strategic advantage is, as soon as I open a bag, the vultures swoop in and I am lucky to get two or three pieces.

GonaSovereign
01-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Any tips on how to get past the two week barrier?

Be a weekday vegan/vegetarian. Eat only whole foods. No processed crap at all. Only eat what you prepare yourself. Count your calories from Monday morning to Friday night. Then do what you want on the weekend. Eat a pound of butter if you like.

I find that by the weekend, I don't want to give up the weight and tone improvements I earned M-F.

GonaSovereign
01-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Next question that always trips me up.....what exactly are processed foods? I mean I hear it all the time but *** does that mean?

Does it come in a package? Probably processed. In a box with a list of ingredients? Definitely processed.

Whole foods are whole...not processed. They are one ingredient.

This is a short list I found online.
Fruits and Vegetables
Whole foods: fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, frozen vegetables, frozen fruits, unsalted nuts
Processed foods to avoid: fruit or vegetable juices, fruits canned in heavy syrup, fruit snacks/fruit roll ups, veggie or potato chips, salted/seasoned nuts

Meats
Whole foods: fresh lean meats, fresh fish/shellfish, eggs
Processed foods to avoid: bacon, sausage, chicken fingers, fish sticks, hot dogs, deli meats, potted meats and spam

Dairy is processed of course, but some are perfectly fine and others are terrible.

Bread's processed, too...but some are perfectly fine and others are terrible. Bread never needs more than 3-5 ingredients. Yours have more? Pitch it. Eat dark breads with few ingredients.

Google will tell you plenty (https://www.google.ca/search?q=whole+foods+vs+processed+foods&oq=whole+foods+vs+process&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.6678j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8).

weisan
01-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Keep it simple.

Don't over-complicate things.

How much you put in and how much you put out. Do the maths. There's no fudging of numbers. It shows up in the belly and the weighing scale.

Stay active. Not everything has to be a full-on kit-out cycling or running or exercise. For example, between the time we last spoke, I have taken my wife out for an-hour-long walk and changed oil for three cars in the house. These count as "activities", dammit.

Sit on the couch in front of the TV...
Lying on the bed...

Not so much.

;)

madsciencenow
01-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Keep it simple.

How much you put in and how much you put out. Do the maths. There's no fudging of numbers. It shows up in the belly and the weighing scale.

Stay active. Not everything has to be a full-on kit-out cycling or running or exercise. For example, between the time we last spoke, I have taken my wife out for an-hour-long walk and changed oil for three cars in the house. These count as "activities", dammit.

Sit on the couch in front of the TV...

Lying on the bed...

Not so much.

;)

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
01-28-2018, 07:51 AM

Cicli
01-28-2018, 07:55 AM

Tastes like it came out of the south end of a north bound horse.
Disgusting.

simplemind
01-28-2018, 08:05 AM

Oh nooooo. Say it's not true! :eek:

weisan
01-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Too late!

You snooze you lose.

Three hungry hippos.

Cicli
01-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Too late!

You snooze you lose.

Three hungry hippos.

Well, at least you had water. :banana:

oldpotatoe
01-28-2018, 08:17 AM
Oh nooooo. Say it's not true! :eek:

but he 'shares' it with 3-4 people so even his kids are on the weight loss program..one cup of water...:eek::)

Black Dog
01-28-2018, 08:35 AM
Too late!

You snooze you lose.

Three hungry hippos.

The amount of garbage on that tray after the meal is astounding. Fill your body and the earth with trash....yikes. Humans are doomed.

Peter P.
01-28-2018, 09:22 AM
'eff the naysayers, weisan; I'll bet it tasted good!

Fishbike
01-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Gotta admit I dig a Filet o’ Fish every once in a while. With fries.

rides2slow
01-28-2018, 01:37 PM
keep it simple.

Stay active. Not everything has to be a full-on kit-out cycling or running or exercise. For example, between the time we last spoke, i have taken my wife out for an-hour-long walk and changed oil for three cars in the house. These count as "activities", dammit.

Sit on the couch in front of the tv...
Lying on the bed...

Not so much.

;)

+2

weisan
01-29-2018, 06:29 PM
This is something I like to make for myself probably twice a week.

Lettuce
Pepper bell
jalapeno
Lime
Walnut
Sesame dressing
Crispy chicken tenders

unterhausen
01-29-2018, 09:03 PM
I find the first 10 pounds to be pretty easy, just stop drinking beer. After that, it's one pound a week if I'm really good about my diet. My last beer was a week ago, but I didn't weigh myself back then so I don't know if I'm losing or not.

weisan
01-29-2018, 09:07 PM
When I go from 150 --> 140, I might have a shot at riding Tdf.

9 out of 10 pro stats say those guys measure 5"9 and weigh 140 pounds.

:rolleyes:

:p

weisan
02-19-2018, 05:15 PM

Likes2ridefar
02-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Where’s the dressing?

weisan
02-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Where’s the dressing?

Added, tossed and mixed into the veggies before throwing in the chopped up chicken nuggets, fish sticks and rotisserie chicken breast.

I shared this with my kids so I don't eat the whole thing.

weisan
03-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Just got back last night after three days of hiking out in Big Bend National Park with the family. My legs were sore and heavy, thought I would get dropped at our group ride this morning. On the contrary, I was flying. High altitude training and using diffrrent set of muscles, I guess. What was even more surprising is I actually lost a pound or two the last couple of days...eating a lot of bacon, spam, instant noodles. Hmmmm....interesting. :D

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sWeUKT9ZhS81QvPLyntjM-9uagfrIGcB1JR3jKxgwRJNsWO4wpsH83vZhghUgE3VcHbT-7LeQMAVdvLwUeTAinDKuOdBLda9XCCwHfIzwuwnDv7xDUdv4Eb ztALdmZDHmHX8IFWWHYkEOd7M_zCxLnN7IEBATfzrtKIdXAj5v alAppRqmmRd0aJlJvWzZUBZE1rmpLg0IwYG9EfqLbNTfIBIJ_n 52L90cWbacLwRK-KrlwB-ky0bFHZHSYPYWjnTNVtDVJNGu5jibLYw5EAyNgs9b1GXA1hSqa 16-w-dc4wdSrj65wjYmW-FsGfV0BWgrUU0xkzqwkfRFEtCRK5o4cdHFSpPjR5bVu8kwvhsF DkMvEn0ls2p2tzRq5j5AXO7NxCdhYpGBS2fsLnOPd2cwz97hAP duT_-h5UdXI43VaPuwBwd3MMVlYSw0liInRw_EQCVprn45-t1t8ztigcNS5ywvixQ7q4iGuxTTj6ozhTBA0kWMHdqgkgleV0Z u9bIRUZMvNEVXRQD-dpDNfqSdvzf1JA0NQ9e1gkAhqxch7KhavC83RI2gT9BTD70PNd KsBJ3BRykhZO7Ou6MgS1xlHRJ-i7nv7tjPG_qyEYQNkoxPThVXiWSqS69aLDR7uR369tuVcGM7Fe ReBYxzA5-6ioCua9Npwu4=w963-h662-no

OtayBW
03-17-2018, 12:38 PM
^ Ah - so I see you went back down to Big Bend. Did you find Jimmy Hoffa down in Terlingua?

2metalhips
03-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Bacon, Spam = carcinogens. World Health Org.

eBAUMANN
03-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Added, tossed and mixed into the veggies before throwing in the chopped up chicken nuggets, fish sticks and rotisserie chicken breast.

I shared this with my kids so I don't eat the whole thing.

instead of chicken nuggets...try Quorn Chick'n Patties (https://www.google.com/search?q=quorn+chicken+patties&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjF9eG6hfTZAhWnna0KHYFXAOIQ_AUICygC&biw=1263&bih=781) next time...you'll be amazed by how great they taste and are a million times healthier than nuggits ;)

rlanger
03-18-2018, 05:08 AM
Intermittent fasting helped me lose more than 5 kilos in just over a month.

I've been vegan for 6 years, and try to eat as much of a whole foods diet as possible to begin with, but with riding everyday and running too, I tended to overeat.

Now, I eat two big meals a day and sometimes snack in between. The first meal is at noon, and the last is around 6ish. So I'm fasting for around 18 hours a day. Since I started doing this, the fat has just melted away. And, I don't think I've reduced my caloric intake all that much either.

It took a few days to become accustomed to the morning hunger (nights were much easier). I'm an early riser, getting up around 5 am. So, not eating until noon was a little tough at first. But now, it's no problem at all.

I'm drinking a lot more tea in the mornings to stave off the hunger, and the additional hydration has made me feel great too.

I highly recommend giving intermittent fasting a try. There's solid science behind the protocol and I guarantee you will see results extremely quickly.

There's lots of videos on YouTube to check out.

simplemind
03-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Intermittent fasting helped me lose more than 5 kilos in just over a month.

Now, I eat two big meals a day and sometimes snack in between. The first meal is at noon, and the last is around 6ish. So I'm fasting for around 18 hours a day. Since I started doing this, the fat has just melted away. And, I don't think I've reduced my caloric intake all that much either.

I highly recommend giving intermittent fasting a try. There's solid science behind the protocol and I guarantee you will see results extremely quickly.

There's lots of videos on YouTube to check out.

I am curious about this and what you do for "ride day" eating. Seems conventional wisdom is carbo loading 4 hours, then two hours before a ride. Do you ride on an empty stomach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeIA261_gSw

rlanger
03-18-2018, 04:07 PM
I am curious about this and what you do for "ride day" eating. Seems conventional wisdom is carbo loading 4 hours, then two hours before a ride. Do you ride on an empty stomach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeIA261_gSw

Yes, I usually do my regular rides or runs in a fasted state. However, if I'm going out for a 100+k ride on the weekend, I'll generally eat something beforehand.

TonyG
03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
I need to drop 25 lbs. just to get back to my "I got fat in the winter" weight from back in the years I raced.

Going to take until the end of June IF I can stay injury free and motivated.

joosttx
03-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Getting skinny. Down to 171lb at 6'1". I would like to get to 165 lb.

I tried keto this winter and it does not work. In fact, I gained weight. It is weird, I can eat the same food, same calories, everything but I will gain weight if I intermittent fast and will loss weight if I have a light breakfast.

my tips are eat greens, eat dinner early, dont before riding, dont eat during riding, get good sleep, dont stress the body too much.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/814/40890526881_36f7f5fe08_c.jpg

rccardr
03-19-2018, 06:28 AM
I've lost 26 pounds since January 1st, the simple way: denial.

Gave up everything but breakfast (cereal, coffee), lunch (yogurt, granola bar) and dinner (protein, fresh veg, salad with lemon juice). No alcohol, no snacking, no desserts, nothing from a can or a bag, 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. I do all of the cooking in our house, so it's all fresh and healthy. Lost input: somewhere between 4200-6000 calories per week.

Upped winter indoor training as well, concentrating on 70-90 minute spin sessions five days a week (riding as a substitute when weather permits), working on a steady state 150-200 watts at as low a heart rate as possible, followed by an upper body/abdominal workout. That's burning over 4500 calories per week.

Net average loss of about 2 pounds per week, now have a lower heart rate under high wattage loads and lower blood pressure. At 66, am hoping to have an easier time on the climbs this year at Thunder Ridge, L' Eroica and the Dairyland Dare.

simplemind
03-19-2018, 06:40 AM
I've lost 26 pounds since January 1st, the simple way: denial.
No alcohol, no snacking, no desserts, nothing from a can or a bag, 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. I do all of the cooking in our house, so it's all fresh and healthy. Lost input: somewhere between 4200-6000 calories per week.

Upped winter indoor training as well, concentrating on 70-90 minute spin sessions five days a week (riding as a substitute when weather permits), working on a steady state 150-200 watts at as low a heart rate as possible, followed by an upper body/abdominal workout. That's burning over 4500 calories per week.

Net average loss of about 2 pounds per week, now have a lower heart rate under high wattage loads and lower blood pressure. At 66, am hoping to have an easier time on the climbs this year at Thunder Ridge, L' Eroica and the Dairyland Dare.

Wow, that's impressive! :hello:

MattTuck
03-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Weisan, I'm jealous, pal. :)

Great job.

Bostic
03-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Starting next week my commute goes from a 2.5 miles to 30 miles one way when the company I work for moves to a new building. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep up 60 miles each day but there is no chance I'm sitting in commute traffic. I'm 5' 7" 145 right now and would like to drop 10 lbs myself.

Sugar is hard to give up as it's in everything but I'm getting used to the taste of cold brew sans it.

weisan
03-27-2018, 06:30 PM
I have distilled everything I have learned from this experience down to two words: Eat Less

I am far from being coy. I am speaking the truth straight from my heart. But sometimes the truth hurts and hard to accept.

This is a concept that is somewhat foreign to us here in America and other places where we are dealing with excess and easy access to food.

I can make this more complicated by throwing in regular exercise, intermittent fasting, abstain from stuff made from processed sugar & flour etc etc...

BUT the very first line of defense in weight loss is still simply to eat less.

If this line doesn't hold, it will render everything else that you do either less effective or almost pointless.

There you have it, I have spoken the truth, take it or leave it.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2018, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=weisan;2337855]I have distilled everything I have learned from this experience down to two words: Eat Less

Use more calories than you take in..ain't rocket science. 94 posts...:eek:

who started this thread? Oh, gotcha. :)

2metalhips
03-28-2018, 11:11 AM
It is true that you will have to limit your food intake if you are eating processed foods and dairy and animal products. Which by the way are the cause of many modern diseases. These foods are calorie dense and nutrition poor. Eating a whole food plant based diet you can eat as much as you want and you will lose weight, and be protected from many lifestyle diseases.

Kirk007
03-28-2018, 12:38 PM
we evolved as omnivores not herbivores...but of course we are what we eat so quality of food intake is important factor along with quantity.

Weisan-pal I generally agree with you if the sole goal is to lose weight. But if you want to weigh less and be fit then strength training and cardio necessary and will increase caloric burn so ..... But agreed you can't use exercise as an excuse to pig out and expect the weight to come off.

I'm down 16 since beginning of year with 20-30 to go, and at 60 I have had to resign myself that caloric restriction is a necessary part of the program (i.e I can no longer eat like I did when a member of the UVA crew team and the school cafeteria was a buffet.....)

oldpotatoe
03-28-2018, 01:36 PM
we evolved as omnivores not herbivores...but of course we are what we eat so quality of food intake is important factor along with quantity.

Weisan-pal I generally agree with you if the sole goal is to lose weight. But if you want to weigh less and be fit then strength training and cardio necessary and will increase caloric burn so ..... But agreed you can't use exercise as an excuse to pig out and expect the weight to come off.

I'm down 16 since beginning of year with 20-30 to go, and at 60 I have had to resign myself that caloric restriction is a necessary part of the program (i.e I can no longer eat like I did when a member of the UVA crew team and the school cafeteria was a buffet.....)

Yup-
Eat better
Eat less
Drink less
Ride lots....unfortunately in spring/summer I only do number 4 but still lose weight...about 9-10 pounds every year. Down 4 pounds already by riding 5 days a week vs 1-2.

mt2u77
03-28-2018, 02:50 PM
I get a chuckle out of the calories in - calories out crowd that chimes in on every weight loss thread. It's like someone asking for advice on how to win a bike race, and getting the response "well, the key is to ride your bike faster than the other guy." No way, really?! I can't believe I didn't understand the most basic premise of racing until you explained it to me! I can't wait to unleash my new knowledge on my next race. Thanks for the enlightenment. You should be a coach. :)

weisan
03-28-2018, 03:26 PM
https://thumbor-static.factorymedia.com/G1w1QhwGkotOUDl8q3ASxLlIJmU=/680x453/smart/http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.coresites.factorymedia.com%2Frcuk %2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2FMerckxThree-1024x682.jpg

Ride lots’ was Eddy Merckx’s simple opinion on how to become a better cyclist.

“Ride a bike. Ride a bike. Ride a bike” – Fausto Coppi, on how to improve

oldpotatoe
03-28-2018, 03:31 PM
I get a chuckle out of the calories in - calories out crowd that chimes in on every weight loss thread. It's like someone asking for advice on how to win a bike race, and getting the response "well, the key is to ride your bike faster than the other guy." No way, really?! I can't believe I didn't understand the most basic premise of racing until you explained it to me! I can't wait to unleash my new knowledge on my next race. Thanks for the enlightenment. You should be a coach. :)

Well after 94 some posts, the OPs conclusion is, ‘eat less’...if it isn’t
Eat better, eat less, ride lots, what is it? A new and amazing diet plan, like the dozens of ‘name’ diet plans that amount to ‘eat better, eat less?

rides2slow
03-28-2018, 04:15 PM
i have distilled everything i have learned from this experience down to two words: Eat less

i am far from being coy. I am speaking the truth straight from my heart. But sometimes the truth hurts and hard to accept.

This is a concept that is somewhat foreign to us here in america and other places where we are dealing with excess and easy access to food.

I can make this more complicated by throwing in regular exercise, intermittent fasting, abstain from stuff made from processed sugar & flour etc etc...

But the very first line of defense in weight loss is still simply to eat less.

If this line doesn't hold, it will render everything else that you do either less effective or almost pointless.

There you have it, i have spoken the truth, take it or leave it.

+1

mt2u77
03-28-2018, 04:58 PM
No, you're right, but everyone with half a brain already knows that. That's my only point, that the advice is so elementary that it is not useful. Western cultures keep getting fatter in spite of the fact that there is a strong desire not to be fat (based on the massive market size of the diet industry) and the rules of the game are obvious. So why isn't everyone just pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and eating half as much of the junk they are already eating. We have to get into the "training plan" of sorts of how to kick it, go inside the black box and figure out how it works and how to control it, whether that's the fundamentals (whole foods, activity) or tips and tricks to kick start things or limit/get through cravings etc. When people are legitimately trying to have that next level of conversation-- of how to achieve the goal-- and someone backs it out to "in-out" as if it isn't already the unstated backbone of the conversation, well, it's just humorous.

Note that this isn't targeted at anyone in this thread, just something I've noticed over and over in many forums.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2018, 06:40 AM
No, you're right, but everyone with half a brain already knows that. That's my only point, that the advice is so elementary that it is not useful. Western cultures keep getting fatter in spite of the fact that there is a strong desire not to be fat (based on the massive market size of the diet industry) and the rules of the game are obvious. So why isn't everyone just pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and eating half as much of the junk they are already eating. We have to get into the "training plan" of sorts of how to kick it, go inside the black box and figure out how it works and how to control it, whether that's the fundamentals (whole foods, activity) or tips and tricks to kick start things or limit/get through cravings etc. When people are legitimately trying to have that next level of conversation-- of how to achieve the goal-- and someone backs it out to "in-out" as if it isn't already the unstated backbone of the conversation, well, it's just humorous.

Note that this isn't targeted at anyone in this thread, just something I've noticed over and over in many forums.

Well, because most people are inherently lazy and 'need' direction, guidance, counsel, structure to achieve their goals. Not everybody is a strong, self guided, nutrition Zues who eats all the 'right' things(depends on the day tho..this changes) all the time intermixed with just the 'right' amount of exercise, wearing the 'right' clothes. Some just don't know or don't care that it's a simple in-out' conversation..sometimes they need somebody to tell them that, guide them...yes, a YUGE diet/fitness industry is a result.

teleguy57
03-29-2018, 08:27 AM
I need to drop 25 lbs. just to get back to my "I got fat in the winter" weight from back in the years I raced.

Going to take until the end of June IF I can stay injury free and motivated.

Oh, Tony, I just found a soulmate:beer:

teleguy57
03-29-2018, 08:46 AM
And to contribute to the conversation, Dan John's latest weekly email included the commentary below. If you're not familiar with Dan John (http://danjohn.net/), highly respected strength training coach and much much more....

This article (http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/03/ultimate-conversation-on-healthy-eating-and-nutrition.html) really is the “last word” in diet and nutrition. It’s an easy read, but shapes the issues very well.

Quoting:

I feel smarter, but what happens when new information comes out, like, tomorrow? How can I stay up to date? It seems like the conventional wisdom on healthy diets changes all the time.

It doesn’t, and the definition of a healthy diet has been clear for some time. In fact, the basic theme of optimal eating — a diet made up mostly of whole, wholesome plant foods — has been clear to nutrition experts for generations. What does change all the time is the fads, fashions, marketing gimmicks, and hucksterism. How do you avoid the pitfalls of all that? Focus on foods, not nutrients. A diet may be higher or lower in total fat, or total carbohydrate, or total protein, and still be optimal. But a diet cannot be optimal if it is not made up mostly of some balanced combination of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, and water. If you get the foods right, the nutrients sort themselves out. But if you focus on nutrients rather than foods, you quickly learn that there is more than one way to eat badly, and we Americans seem all too eager to try them all.

Bear in mind that humans evolved to eat a wide variety of diets, all over the world, from the Arctic to the tropics, desert, plains, mountains, all of which offer wildly different kinds of foods. But none of them “naturally” offer junk food or industrially produced animal products. If you bear that in mind, and eat a balanced diet of real food, you don’t have to worry about much else. It’s really quite simple.

End quote

So back to the dicussion about willpower/choice, yes, I should remember this but it's so tempting to bounce from trend to trend trying for seek out the perfect/easiest/newest vs optimal. Hence my not making the progress I could make if I'd pay attention to the simple stuff....

weisan
04-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Vanmol said that Terpstra didn't do anything special to lose the weight, other than to eat less and skip some desserts.
Vanmol claims weight loss was key to Terpstra's Tour of Flanders victory

Team doctor says two kilogram loss made the difference
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vanmol-claims-weight-loss-was-key-to-terpstras-tour-of-flanders-victory/

John H.
04-05-2018, 06:20 PM
And likely some Kenacort-

Vanmol claims weight loss was key to Terpstra's Tour of Flanders victory

Team doctor says two kilogram loss made the difference
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vanmol-claims-weight-loss-was-key-to-terpstras-tour-of-flanders-victory/

Seramount
04-05-2018, 06:34 PM
all this angst over losing weight...just can't relate.

you guys should have some sympathy for those of us who, regardless of what we consume, can't gain a pound. actually, it's a struggle to not drop weight.

I consume mass quantities of bacon, sausage, butter, pasta, bread, peanut butter, whole milk, cheese, eggs, fruit, nuts, cookies, ice cream...but, try as I might, at 6' tall, I can NOT get above 147 lbs...

it's a burden.

MattTuck
04-05-2018, 06:38 PM
2 kilograms....

I have a hard time looking at this stuff as so strongly linked in cause and effect. I agree the weight loss helped, but a lot of stuff happened in the group behind that contributed to the result.

Sort of like saying Gilbert won last year because of his ability to tolerate high lactate levels. yeah, and the chasers wrecked.

velofinds
04-06-2018, 07:39 AM
all this angst over losing weight...just can't relate.

you guys should have some sympathy for those of us who, regardless of what we consume, can't gain a pound. actually, it's a struggle to not drop weight.

I consume mass quantities of bacon, sausage, butter, pasta, bread, peanut butter, whole milk, cheese, eggs, fruit, nuts, cookies, ice cream...but, try as I might, at 6' tall, I can NOT get above 147 lbs...

it's a burden.

Well good for you :rolleyes:

weisan
09-26-2018, 07:54 AM
Coming up on my 1-yr anniversary, thought I would write some reflections.

Last night, I stepped on the scale and it registered 149.5 pounds.
Before that, a week or two ago, my weight went up as high as 158 Ibs. I have gone as low as 144 Ibs.
In other words, it fluctuates quite a bit. But overall, it hovers around 150. I started at 170.

I did not agonize over what I eat or adopt any special diet, I kinda went with the flow and was pretty relaxed and low key about the whole thing. I still eat at McDonald's, have my regular fried chicken and ice cream whenever I like during the week. It doesn't seem to affect my weight much.

The final message is still the same : if you want to lose weight, eat less, reduce your daily intake.

I have experienced several benefits which are by-product of this weight loss thing.

I got stronger on the bike. Much stronger. Not only do I climb better but the confidence and sense of positivity sorta bleed into my riding.
It's a snowball effect.

My lower back pain is practically gone. I don't carry around as much weight in my mid-section and that definitely helps. With the pain gone, I can push as hard as I want on the bike, whenever I want.

I tried to eat more or bigger portions earlier in the day. I don't do fasting.

I eat based on my activity level. If I am vegetating in front of the computer all day, I eat less, make sense. If I am doing some form of exercise during the day , I eat more. If I can't go out and ride, I intentionally try to burn up more calories by engaging in activities that go beyond than just sitting on a couch or lying in the bed...get up and do something, anything! Mow the lawn, walk the stairs, work on bikes in the garage, cook dinner for the family etc...whatever, stay active.
One other thing I discovered, if I keep the furnace hot, I can burn off practically anything I put in.

A lot of these is just plain common sense.

Do less, eat less.
Do more, eat more.

I don't mean to make it sound easy. It's not. Not in the world that we live in where we prioritze convenience, comfort and consumption.

A lot of this has to do with changing the attitude, perspective on things and recognizing the higher value in life.

For me personally, it was important that this effort is sustainable. I have known way too many friends who started on a "program" - be it weight loss, cross fit, special diet, whatever. They were all excited about it at the beginning and were able to see almost immediate results in a few months. A year or two later when I see them again, they had reverted back to "normal".

If you don't change internally, the external result will be short-lived.