PDA

View Full Version : Carbon contact points for cross?

sfghbiker
09-29-2017, 11:18 PM
Ok paceline hivemind, what is the current consensus on carbon contact bits (handlebar, stem, seat post) for a cross bike that will be used for racing??

My current cross bike is all steel/aluminum only. I have a new frame at the painters so am acquiring the rest of the build but I am a little reluctant to change to carbon because of the thought of a catastrophic failure of either bars (ouch) or seat post (double ouch). Is this just old thinking? I did give in to the carbon wheels and the carbon fork but somehow that seems different. thoughts?

I guess the other important caveat is that this bike will be used for longer rides on dirt/mild single track in the off season so while i get the concept of just hardening up and throwing all Thomson on there and calling it good, I am exploring my options. I guess call me carbon curious?:banana::banana:

Skenry
10-01-2017, 03:38 PM
You have carbon wheels and a carbon fork?
I think you'll survive

nooneline
10-01-2017, 04:07 PM
I've seen plenty of carbon handlebars break from old crash damage. Expect to crash your cross bike; I wouldn't have a problem with a carbon seatpost or stem, but wouldn't bother with carbon bars.

fogrider
10-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Yeah, you're not saving much weight on the handlebar with carbon.

zennmotion
10-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Carbon seatpost for CX is not the best application. Something 2 bolt and Alu is better unless you're consistently very smooth on remounts and a lightweight. I've seen quite a few broken ones over the years at races.

Gummee
10-01-2017, 07:06 PM
I've seen plenty of carbon handlebars break from old crash damage. Expect to crash your cross bike; I wouldn't have a problem with a carbon seatpost or stem, but wouldn't bother with carbon bars.

IDK if it was carbon or not, but there was at least one broken bar at today's Hyattsville race

AL for me, thanks

M

gforce
10-02-2017, 01:06 PM
I have had no problems with carbon seat posts (2 bolt). Keeping the weight
down is important in cx considering the running, climbing and acceleration of cx.

eBAUMANN
10-02-2017, 01:51 PM
ive been using carbon bars and alloy/carbon stems/posts for as long as i can remember.
a light cx bike is a nice thing to have last time over the barriers/up the run-up during a muddy race...

i use the thomson KFC bars, which were designed specifically for cx, so I would assume they might stand up better to crashing than most "road optimized" bars.
all i know is i have been riding the same 2 sets for 3-4 years now with little/no issues.

most important though, in a stem/bar, is that is STAYS PUT.
very easy to have your bars drop during a race...or come loose entirely in the stem (ask me how i know...) - so make sure those suckers are torqued to spec with some friction paste if needed!
in my experience...thomson stem bar clamps are too smooth to adequately hold the bars in place, even with paste.
and whatever you do, avoid any/all 2-bolt faceplates...

chiasticon
10-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Carbon seatpost for CX is not the best application. Something 2 bolt and Alu is better unless you're consistently very smooth on remounts and a lightweight. I've seen quite a few broken ones over the years at races.yeah I'm scared of going this route for the same reason. I have a Thomson Masterpiece on there, so it's not for weight. I wanted to try some of the carbon options that allegedly improve the ride quality. but I have broken saddles before from being a bit too overzealous with my remount. about one a year, in fact! and I'm only about 155 lbs. scared of what I'd do to a carbon post :eek:

eBAUMANN
10-02-2017, 01:57 PM
yeah I'm scared of going this route for the same reason. I have a Thomson Masterpiece on there, so it's not for weight. I wanted to try some of the carbon options that allegedly improve the ride quality. but I have broken saddles before from being a bit too overzealous with my remount. about one a year, in fact! and I'm only about 155 lbs. scared of what I'd do to a carbon post :eek:

some designs are more under-built that others...again, designed for road use.

also, there are a lot of different ways people get back on a bike...everytime i see a hop-n-plop in the 4/5's i cringe a little...but i also know I definitely did that once upon a time myself, a little technique goes a long way when it comes to wear on your components, and yourself.

i have always used a thomson post on my cx bikes, because i have never once had that design let me down and because masterpiece posts are as light or lighter than most carbon stuff.

as far as ride quality goes...if youre racing cx, you really shouldnt be spending that much time with your ass planted in the saddle ;)

sfghbiker
10-02-2017, 03:07 PM
ok thanks for the input from all. I think I will stick to metal for now. A lot of it comes down to technique. I am just not that smooth a rider, not super graceful on the remounts and i do crash on occasion particularly when riding single track that would be better suited for a mountain bike. More than that I just don't see myself unwrapping my bars frequently to check them. Maybe as I improve I will consider switching over to carbon.

pdmtong
10-02-2017, 03:39 PM
ive been using carbon bars and alloy/carbon stems/posts for as long as i can remember.
a light cx bike is a nice thing to have last time over the barriers/up the run-up during a muddy race...

i use the thomson KFC bars, which were designed specifically for cx, so I would assume they might stand up better to crashing than most "road optimized" bars.
all i know is i have been riding the same 2 sets for 3-4 years now with little/no issues.

most important though, in a stem/bar, is that is STAYS PUT.
very easy to have your bars drop during a race...or come loose entirely in the stem (ask me how i know...) - so make sure those suckers are torqued to spec with some friction paste if needed!
in my experience...thomson stem bar clamps are too smooth to adequately hold the bars in place, even with paste.
and whatever you do, avoid any/all 2-bolt faceplates...

I raced on a X2 for seven years no issues BUT the point above should be heeded. same with single bolt post heads where the wrong re-mount now leaves you with a tilted saddle and 40 minutes to go. that is just no fun and makes a hard day harder.

John H.
10-02-2017, 04:12 PM
I say that you should use your favorite contact points.

My CX bike has a carbon rail saddle, carbon seatpost, and carbon bars. They have been totally robust.