PDA

View Full Version : Pro Team to ride 1x disc bike

RobJ
09-29-2017, 08:35 AM
This should be interesting....

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2017/09/20/top-pro-road-team-race-3ts-strada-single-chainring-disc-brakes-and-wide#.Wc5L362ZPol

peanutgallery
09-29-2017, 08:42 AM
Kinda like climbing to the top of the heap in the late 80's and and finally getting a contract for $ and bikes - equipped with weinmann or offmega friction groups

Those poor souls

MattTuck
09-29-2017, 08:49 AM
If they had a sense of humor they'd also get sponsored by a company that manufactures medical sutures. lol.

More power to them. Cycling sponsorship has always been about the equipment. I'm interested to see how they do.

oldpotatoe
09-29-2017, 08:54 AM
If they had a sense of humor they'd also get sponsored by a company that manufactures medical sutures. lol.

More power to them. Cycling sponsorship has always been about the equipment. I'm interested to see how they do.

Gonna have to learn the froomie, 'sit on top tube' aero tuck to go down hill.

regularguy412
09-29-2017, 07:29 PM

Yep. But the uphill may be the real question.

:confused:

Mike in AR:beer:

false_Aest
09-29-2017, 07:32 PM
It was bound to happen and I'm glad it is.

Even if the team doesn't do well it's a great way to get data and further development.

sandyrs
09-29-2017, 07:58 PM

Just for what it's worth, 40/9 > 53/12 :)

fa63
09-29-2017, 08:03 PM
I rode 1x11 for a short period; couldn't deal with the large jump between gears. I am curious to see how that will play out with the pros, though we will probably never get honest feedback due to sponsor obligations...

justaute
09-29-2017, 08:38 PM
I don't think gear range will be an issue at all in that there should be plenty. It's the gear ratios, for cadence purpose, toward certain part of the cassette. 3T's two new cassettes attempt to address that.

That said, I'm wondering about about potential wattage loss from chain-line and derailleur-clutch.

bicycletricycle
09-29-2017, 09:13 PM

I believe there is slightly increased drive loss in the small cogs, not sure if it will matter much, Maybe a cool aero chainring could be employed? I wonder if one could quantify the loss due to the increased probability of being in a less than optimal gearing ratio? Or if that is even true?

Also, some of those pros have been running some very low ratios these days, 38/32 in the tour. Those same stages require the highest gears as well. Will they have the range? Looks like the special cassette planned is 9-32, I guess paired with a 40 it would get close.

I have ridden BMX bikes and shimano capeo equipped folding bikes with 9 tooth cogs, they felt a bit crap under load, sort of lumpy. Maybe just in my head? would be interested in riding one of these drivetrains.

Charles M
09-29-2017, 09:20 PM
I've been on 1x for a year and a half...

I like it.

46 front and 10-42 rear...

Top end of 53-11 and bottom end near 39-36.

It's the gaps in the cluster that might be more or less difficult for some, but I never found myself unable to do what anyone around me was doing. I was just shifting a lot less than others.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2017, 07:03 AM

Good thing they are sponsored..that 9t won't last long. BUT, road bike, not mud, gunk, bouncing around on dirt...don't get the 'need' to drop really great front ders..on road bikes..with the far more useful, smaller gaps cogset and 2 chainrings. What 'problem' is 1by for these solving, what question is being answered? Other than something from the sram marketing department.

IMHO, of course.

pbarry
09-30-2017, 11:23 AM
No dropped chains on a bad fd shift like Andy Schleck.. 😂

ergott
09-30-2017, 11:33 AM
I've been on 1x for a year and a half...

I like it.

46 front and 10-42 rear...

Top end of 53-11 and bottom end near 39-36.

It's the gaps in the cluster that might be more or less difficult for some, but I never found myself unable to do what anyone around me was doing. I was just shifting a lot less than others.

So what's the weight comparison of a 1X like that? Do you have Eagle 12? I'm guessing heavier rear derailleur and definitely heavier cassette. Can't be a big weight savings over 2X11 road gearing.

AJosiahK
09-30-2017, 12:04 PM
The large gear gaps would kill it for me. Id imagine myself being stuck in either a cog slightly too high, or too low. Would drive me crazy

Good luck to em!

gemship
09-30-2017, 01:13 PM
No dropped chains on a bad fd shift like Andy Schleck.. 😂

LOL I thought the same thing. Good point to Ergott regarding extra weight on the back wheel and such.

ultraman6970
09-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Wonder how this is going to develop, interesting.

If those bikes are 12 speed I do not see how is not going to work, the only problem is the support at the races... just to make it better probably they should use Keywin pedals just to make an statement :)... "Yeah! we dont give a darn about neutral service!!!"

sandyrs
09-30-2017, 05:58 PM
Wonder how this is going to develop, interesting.

If those bikes are 12 speed I do not see how is not going to work, the only problem is the support at the races... just to make it better probably they should use Keywin pedals just to make an statement :)... "Yeah! we dont give a darn about neutral service!!!"

They're 11 speed.

tiretrax
10-02-2017, 12:14 PM
GCN reviewed the bike this summer and liked it. I've got a 1x cx bike and ride it on the road quite a bit. I probably need to change my cassette to get better flexibility, but I don't miss having a front derailleur.

David Tollefson
10-02-2017, 02:11 PM
On my road bike, I ride a 46/34 up front, with a 11-23 10-speed cassette in back. Most of my rides I'm doing a 1x as soon as I leave the driveway, unless I'm doing some pretty long climbs. Sure, I top out on some downhills, but by then I can tuck and go just as fast. I'm not racing, but If I were to go true 1x and had two more cogs in back, I might be just fine with it.

Hey, N+1...