PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts-Trek Boone

mtb_frk
09-29-2017, 06:47 AM
I have a trek Crockett that I have been racing this season, and really like the geometry/fit. It was going to be my pit bike, but now I am thinking my main bike is a bit too small for me. For anyone that has ridden or owned these bikes is the decoupler and carbon frame a nocetiable difference on the Boone. I am looking for a used frame in a 61cm which so far has been about impossible to find, as I don’t want to buy a new.

chiasticon
09-29-2017, 06:55 AM
don't own one and haven't personally ridden one. BUT a friend of mine moved to one this year, after having spent a few seasons on a pair of Van Dessel Gin and Trombones (aluminum, with carbon seatstays) frames. he adores the Boone. says it's noticeably more comfortable and he can pedal through rough/bumpy sections when he sees other guys backing off. additionally, another friend who's spent a ton of time on numerous cross bikes (like, maybe over 30 different frames), including a pair of Moots and many full carbon frames, has said similar things about the IsoSpeed decoupler. he said within five feet he could feel a major difference.

I'm kind of talking myself into trying one now... :help:

superbowlpats
09-29-2017, 07:17 AM
Similar response to Chiasticon, I don't own one but ride with a few guys who have them and rave about them. If I needed a new CX bike I'd be looking at one real hard, especially the 2018 with front Iso dampening.

nooneline
09-29-2017, 07:52 AM
I've test-ridden a road bike with the decoupler, and yeah, it's noticeable. I figure it would be great on a cx bike.

MattTuck
09-29-2017, 08:12 AM
Only question is reliability and longevity. It is another moving part in the whole machinery of the bicycle. Another thing that can go wrong, fatigue, fail, etc.

nooneline
09-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Only question is reliability and longevity. It is another moving part in the whole machinery of the bicycle. Another thing that can go wrong, fatigue, fail, etc.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachments/components-wrenching/307671d1437174846-isospeed-decoupler-maintenance-2013-trek-domane-endurance-road-bike-review-isospeed04.jpg

I just googled "trek decoupler failure" and got, like, nothing. sounds like maintenance is pretty easy. since it's really just a pivot point that allows the two pieces (seatpost, and tt/rear triangle) to flex separately, it's not that complicated in there.

sparky33
09-29-2017, 08:45 AM
Demo'd the Boone a few times over the years. Great bike wrt to ride quality as mentioned above. The geometry looks correct to me for a cx racing bike too. Also, the '18 finally has thru-axle on both wheels.

One thing that kind of bugs me is the very wide top tube. What? Well the top tube brushes against the inside of my thighs on occasion if I'm not pedaling perfectly. Maybe my saddle is relatively low, so my thighs are right there on the downstroke. Probably not a big deal for folks with proportionally higher saddle height.

What else do people like for off-the-shelf cx bikes, particularly carbon?

Cornfed
09-29-2017, 08:54 AM
I had one for a while and loved it. Light, fast, comfortable, nimble and sharp looking to boot. I still regret selling it.

Cornfed
09-29-2017, 08:57 AM
BTW, here's a 61 for you. Looks like a nice build, too ...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/d/trek-boone-disc-cx-gravel/6317341058.html

Gummee
09-29-2017, 09:14 AM
I actually have a little story about that

Last year (year before? I forget) I lined up on my B bike 'just because' at Rockburn. Coming around a 90deg left, my front end slid out and down I went.

Got up, straightened my bars and couldn't straighten my saddle so into the pit I went to trade out for my Boone.

First few hundred meters it felt like I had a flat tire. Looked down and nope. Tire's fine. Guess it's just the Isospeed doing it's thing

I keep telling people that the Boone is the most comfortable road-based bike I've owned since my SL steel Battaglin

M

ltwtsculler91
09-29-2017, 10:06 AM
The Boone is an awesome bike and if you're a fan of the Crockett you'll love it!

I haven't raced cross on mine (fun combination of injuries and use of it as a winter/gravel bike) but the Isospeed for sure makes a huge difference in comfort over the rough stuff versus any other aluminum or carbon bike I've ridden. You can definitely keep in the saddle and nail down the power over rough stuff without getting bounced out of the saddle or beat up. I will say it takes a ride to really get used to the feeling of how the saddle and back end moves under you since you can almost feel like you have a flat/soft rear tire at times.

As long as you keep the cover on and bolts are torqued to spec, I've had zero issues with mine through any conditions and haven't seen any issues with them on friends Domane's either.

mtb_frk
09-29-2017, 10:35 AM
BTW, here's a 61 for you. Looks like a nice build, too ...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/d/trek-boone-disc-cx-gravel/6317341058.html

I actually did see this listed but with a baby, and only one income now I’m looking at frameset only options.

Of course, with all the positive responses it makes me want to find one even more. I wonder if it might be better to wait get the new model with decoupler in the front as well...

ltwtsculler91
09-29-2017, 12:41 PM
I actually did see this listed but with a baby, and only one income now I’m looking at frameset only options.

Of course, with all the positive responses it makes me want to find one even more. I wonder if it might be better to wait get the new model with decoupler in the front as well...

I've put about 500mi on a new Domane with the front decoupler, and don't think it makes as much a difference as the rear does in comfort. Cuts out maybe a little bit of buzz but tire pressure felt like it had a bigger effect for me..

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, scoping out a leftover/first gen frame is probably the best bet.

chiasticon
09-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Only question is reliability and longevity. It is another moving part in the whole machinery of the bicycle. Another thing that can go wrong, fatigue, fail, etc.I do have a couple thoughts on this...

1) the friend I mentioned with the Boone did have the bolts/cover for his Isospeed come off after like one ride. believe it's been fine since then. but I've read reviews online that've experienced the same.

2) I was racing behind a guy last year that got a little too overzealous with his remount, and I heard a loud CRACK! boom, killed the seat tube. race over. frame dead. I guess you risk that with any carbon post/ISP though...

3) Tom Meeusen broke the head tube on his Boone in the first corner at the World Championships last year. the brand new version with the IsoSpeed front end. now, maybe it's just because Tom likes to hop barriers and it'd been fatigued? I dunno. but I know the team had literally only had them a few weeks, because they were discussing them at a race right after they got the frames.

not saying there's anything wrong with the IsoSpeed. but just that, yes, it is a potential point of failure.

mtb_frk
09-29-2017, 04:29 PM
If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, scoping out a leftover/first gen frame is probably the best bet.
I’m hoping people want to upgrade to the new model as this is probably the best option for me at this point.

Iansir
09-29-2017, 11:35 PM
You can likely find a used one for a steal...

I have a Domane which lead me to get a used Boone. The decoupler is legit and I love it...highly recommended. I have ridden a lot of nice bikes but the combination of incredibly good stiffness with a nice plush ride makes these frames very unique.

mtb_frk
09-30-2017, 12:17 PM
There is a 58 frameset for sale locally that hasn’t sold in a while now. The price is good and it is cross season,too bad it isn’t my size.

mack
09-30-2017, 12:23 PM
I'll chime in.....I really like my Boone 9 canti brakes and yes I picked it up used from a friend, as it turns out the frame/bike is exactly what I want in a 'gravel' bike, adventure bike and cyclocross bike.
I was victim of a steel cyclocross frame offering through the forum some time ago, the long awaited frame came to me one pound five oz over suggested/advertised weight and once built the ride was meh, nothing special, very neutral even though it got pumped reviews in select quarters, luckily I was able to pass it on....forward to me jumping on the boone, BOOM-that's the ride I was looking for!