PDA

View Full Version : name of the Ottrott font?

BU Racer
09-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi, this might be the weirdest question posted on the Serotta forum yet. Anyway, I am refinishing (personally) my Ottrott, and would like to get a custom decal made up with my name, in the same font as the "Ottrott." Anyone have a clue what font that is? I’m not really into the script font Serotta has available online for personalization. Maybe someone has seen the Ottrott font somewhere… thanks!

PK9
09-13-2006, 11:31 PM
It appears to be Magneto Bold.

Check out: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontbureau/magneto/

Too Tall
09-14-2006, 06:19 AM
It has been about 12 yrs. since I perpetrated the crime...however the font is as far as I know propeitary.

BumbleBeeDave
09-14-2006, 06:58 AM
. . . keep in mind that doing it yourself may void your warranty, depending on what you're doing. Paint? . . .

BBD

ergott
09-14-2006, 07:59 AM
It appears to be Magneto Bold.

Check out: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontbureau/magneto/

That looks spot on.

dave thompson
09-14-2006, 08:17 AM
That looks spot on.
It is. I printed a 48pt copy and overlayed on the Ottrott toptube, bingo!

skicoach
09-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I did the same for my Ottroptt 2 years ago. Try www.decalzbysuzieq.com. The color, size, and font of the decals she did for me were perfect at a very reasonable cost. They look like they were applied at the factory, no kidding!

Ozz
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Font description / history:

Magneto - Leslie Cabarga has returned to the streamlined scripts prepared by industrial designers at mid-century for the inspiration of this Font Bureau display series.

The Magneto trio recall the chrome-strip lettering laid over the rounded shapes of enamelled refrigerators and automobile trunks in the thirties and forties by a jaunty, self-confident American industry that knew it was going places, doing things, and changing the world.

PK9
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, Leslie Cabarga has done some interesting stuff.

He's a great letterer with a distinctly retro bent and his two-volume "A Treasury of German Trademarks" covering German identities (from the 20s and 30s) published in the mid-80s was arguably responsible for the whole idiosyncratic early 90s logo style.

Many cool script fonts and other good compilation-type books as well.

BU Racer
09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all your input everyone, that's definately the font.

My current finish is polished Ti with White/Blue decals under the clearcoating. I plan to sand down the clearcoat until the decals, which I will then carefully remove. I will re-polish all the Ti before taping it off, and then apply a layer of high-end clearcoating via an HPLV spray gun. I will then burnish the new decals on, and apply another layer of clearcoating, or as needed. I will wet sand/polish until shiny and smooth.

I realize this will probably void the warranty of the frame, but I've had the bike for almost 4 years and am ready for something new. I just don't see anything ever happening to this frame, unless I crash it or the airlines lose it… in which case a warranty is no good. Either way, it's insured.

Anyone else ever re-finished their own bike?

BumbleBeeDave
09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
<<I just don't see anything ever happening to this frame, unless I crash it or the airlines lose it…>>

You are just tempting FATE, BU-Man! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BBD