PDA

View Full Version : Downside of all these Garmin, etc.. devices.

benb
09-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Heh.. I took a break for a while (4 weeks or so?) from cycling and concentrated on some weight training.

Coming back I have no goals for the rest of the season other than to have fun so decided I was going to completely skip doing any intervals and stuff like that and just go enjoy riding.

Well.. I've had nagging upper back issues for a while along with too much weight on my hands, etc.. . Turns out it was probably from looking down to check my HR/Power readings too much. If I just concentrate on not dropping my head I feel way better.

Kind of dumb, I know way better than to look down while I was in the gym doing squats. Why would I think I could get away with it riding hard?

Tony T
09-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Get one of these :)

http://www.stickybottle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Garmin-Shot.gif

benb
09-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Didn't even realize that was a thing.

false_Aest
09-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Kind of dumb, I know way better than to look down while I was in the gym doing squats. Why would I think I could get away with it riding hard?

Where are you looking?

benb
09-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Do you mean when working out in the gym or riding?

Riding I definitely have a bad habit of looking down at the computer for pacing too much.

I don't think it was really ever an issue with HR, you don't need to check it very often cause it responds slowly. But for about 2 years now I've had a PM and since that is all over the map I think I got in the bad habit of looking down too often. Plus since I got the PM I really changed how I was riding, definitely more structure and pacing so more looking down to check it.

If you were talking about the gym I was referring to keeping your head up when doing squats.. looking down at your feet is a great way to throw out your back. I usually lock my eyes on my face in the mirror to ensure I keep my head up and my spine neutral.

It all makes sense, you look down when in the crouched position we ride in or do squats in your lower back naturally rounds out.

ceolwulf
09-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Would have never thought of that. I wonder how long Froome's back will hold up :p

kramnnim
09-28-2017, 04:09 PM

I have one for sale!

benb
09-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Haha.. and no one has ever told me I look like Froome staring at my stem.

I bet he is staring at the computer.

makoti
09-28-2017, 05:47 PM

What is that?

kramnnim
09-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Garmin Varia Vision

Spaghetti Legs
09-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Hmmm, that's a new one. I would think if you're looking down at your computer so much, you would have a much bigger problem crashing into things, running off the road, etc.

quickfeet
09-28-2017, 07:36 PM
I would guess your weight training improved your core strength allowing you to hold a good position on the bike longer...

mrvnmrvn
09-28-2017, 09:39 PM
Can't tell if serious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk