PDA

View Full Version : Ribble shipping/availability

wc1934
09-27-2017, 09:29 PM
I have purchased a bunch of stuff from Ribble and been very happy.

Today I tried buying bibshorts (Castelli) but received this message:
"This product is not available to your location."

I then tried to purchase some Sidi mid range shoes and got the same message.

Anyone else experience this issue or know what's going on?
Shipping would be to USA - MA. The items list in US dollars.
Thanks.

peanutgallery
09-27-2017, 09:36 PM
It's about effing time!!!!

Good on Sidi and Castelli

I have purchased a bunch of stuff from Ribble and been very happy.

Today I tried buying bibshorts (Castelli) but received this message:
"This product is not available to your location."

I then tried to purchase some Sidi mid range shoes and got the same message.

Anyone else experience this issue or know what's going on?
Shipping would be to USA - MA. The items list in US dollars.
Thanks.

Ronsonic
09-27-2017, 10:07 PM
What's going on is the manufacturers are enforcing territories for their distributors and dealers.

Llewellyn
09-28-2017, 12:13 AM
What's going on is the manufacturers are enforcing territories for their distributors and dealers.

So they can resume gouging the consumer just like the good old days. Way to go!!

shinomaster
09-28-2017, 12:15 AM
Same with Open pros.

rustychisel
09-28-2017, 01:01 AM
So they can resume gouging the consumer just like the good old days. Way to go!!

Same with Open pros.

In this day and age, well... really... a centuries old solution to a new commerce issue. FFS, we at the end of the supply chain, and the end of the world, get shafted the most.

True story: it took my LBS over 3 months to get a pair of bog standard silver alloy Open Pro 36 hole rims out of Mavic's Australian distribution. That was in 2012 and I kept the order open just as an experiment to see how long they take and how many excuses they had. :butt:

Spaghetti Legs
09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
I wonder if it's a Brexit thing.

FWIW, I just bought some Veloflex tires from Ribble

sales guy
09-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Chain Reaction, Ribble and a few others are stopping the sale of product to the US due to Shimano, SRAM, Campy and others getting slammed by IBD's here.

If your ISP is based in the US, it assigns it to a no sale algorithm.

While I applaud it, I don't think dealers here have really gouged people. I never did. There are some, yeah. But over all that's a small number.

peanutgallery
09-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Not so fast, Shimano has done absolutely nothing. Others have and they are great partners for it. This goes for the US arm and the big place in Japan. Shimano products from the UK average 15% or so less than a US dealer can get it from the real source in North America. They are not a friend of the IBD and have no interest in being a good partner. There is some heat on Shimano via Trek and Specialized to contain it as it devalues their higher end bikes. Why should a customer spend $4k on a bike when the parts kit is available for $400? Etc

If pushed, the Shimano road rep will tell you some cock and bull, cloak and dagger story about testifying before congressional subcommittees about unpaid duties and state sales taxes under a secret agreement with his boss at Shimano North America who is providing a massive amount of info, numbers and impact. I'm calling BS on that

As far as price gouging, go try sports car racing or yachting. Cycling is way cheap

Chain Reaction, Ribble and a few others are stopping the sale of product to the US due to Shimano, SRAM, Campy and others getting slammed by IBD's here.

While I applaud it, I don't think dealers here have really gouged people. I never did. There are some, yeah. But over all that's a small number.

sales guy
09-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Not so fast, Shimano has done absolutely nothing. Others have and they are great partners for it. This goes for the US arm and the big place in Japan. Shimano products from the UK average 15% or so less than a US dealer can get it from the real source in North America. They are not a friend of the IBD and have no interest in being a good partner. There is some heat on Shimano via Trek and Specialized to contain it as it devalues their higher end bikes. Why should a customer spend $4k on a bike when the parts kit is available for $400? Etc

If pushed, the Shimano road rep will tell you some cock and bull, cloak and dagger story about testifying before congressional subcommittees about unpaid duties and state sales taxes under a secret agreement with his boss at Shimano North America who is providing a massive amount of info, numbers and impact. I'm calling BS on that

As far as price gouging, go try sports car racing or yachting. Cycling is way cheap

Sorry, I included the big S and I shouldn't have. Believe me, I know. I am an OE and sometimes the prices Chain Reaction and others have is cheaper than my OEM Pricing!

oldpotatoe
09-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Sorry, I included the big S and I shouldn't have. Believe me, I know. I am an OE and sometimes the prices Chain Reaction and others have is cheaper than my OEM Pricing!

About time. They have been talking this regional gig for quite some time.

Davist
09-28-2017, 01:36 PM
I'll play devil's advocate.. disclosure I order "wear parts" chains, cassettes and tires from these guys.

Nature abhors a vacuum, so if Chain Reaction, Ribble, et al aren't selling this stuff, then someone like Amazon or Ebay steps in. Amazon won't take any responsibility for the stuff sold in market place (counterfeit UL labeled electronics for example) and consumers end up at risk. I'd rather have "bike guys" like Chain Reaction sell the products. YES, I know some won't warranty (Campy I think?) this way, but at least it's not counterfeit.

I do also wonder if Brexit has something to do with it as Chain Reaction are in Northern Ireland as mentioned above. That's another topic though..

sales guy
09-28-2017, 01:43 PM
I'll play devil's advocate.. disclosure I order "wear parts" chains, cassettes and tires from these guys.

Nature abhors a vacuum, so if Chain Reaction, Ribble, et al aren't selling this stuff, then someone like Amazon or Ebay steps in. Amazon won't take any responsibility for the stuff sold in market place (counterfeit UL labeled electronics for example) and consumers end up at risk. I'd rather have "bike guys" like Chain Reaction sell the products. YES, I know some won't warranty (Campy I think?) this way, but at least it's not counterfeit.

I do also wonder if Brexit has something to do with it as Chain Reaction are in Northern Ireland as mentioned above. That's another topic though..

As someone who was affected by Brexit, it didn't have anything to do with this. SRAM actually started the US Order Closing trend before Brexit hit. It was something they were proud of and promoted to IBD's. How they were standing up for US IBD's.

Another way you could always get your "wear parts", talk to people on here. ;)

bicipunk
09-28-2017, 02:02 PM
I don't know if my experience is any indicator, but I got a couple of Assos cento bibs for about half of retail at Ribble in July? and they shipped them to me out here in CO no problem. Shipping was actually super quick considering it was international mail...

sdrides
09-28-2017, 02:08 PM

There's a big difference between price gouging and expense. Though price gouging may or may not be happening, I don't think there's a great argument for cycling being "way cheap." If it is, then I must be way poor because I can't afford half the stuff I see out on the road or on the trail. The fact of the matter is that if I had to pay retail, I would not be a "cyclist." I would probably still ride for function, but there's no way I'd be able to ride for fun. Same goes for skiing, golf, yachting, sports car racing, etc.

This topic does raise the question of why these items are more expensive in the US than these British sites. Is it the import duties? More middlemen? Wal-Mart style pricing schemes from Ribble etc.? Manufacturer-mandated pricing?

Jaybee
09-28-2017, 02:30 PM
I've gotten a couple groupsets over the past 10 years from UK vendors. Great prices for USians, for sure. But I've been able to do just as well if not better by surfing forum classifieds/craigslist/ebay and keeping it local. I guess that isn't doing a whole lot for my LBS, but at least the money is staying in the local bike community and goods are being re-used rather than disposed of.

I certainly don't have a stable of bespoke 5-figure bikes, but I don't think my riding is suffering from not having the latest/greatest. What I really need is better time management to ride the bikes I do have.

Davist
09-28-2017, 02:53 PM
As someone who was affected by Brexit, it didn't have anything to do with this. 's.

Another way you could always get your "wear parts", talk to people on here. ;)

I don't think the full commercial impact of brexit (I'm in b2b and data centers, we may be ahead of curve?) has begun to hit yet. I work for a Swiss Company, with an Irish (Republic) boss, it's already costing us plenty, and the IE vs UK stuff (specifically the Northern Ireland border or lack thereof moving forward is heating up significantly).

As to wear parts, I haven't seen a lot of new Ultegra chains for sale in the classifieds, but I'll be glad to keep looking.. :beer:

sokyroadie
09-28-2017, 03:47 PM
I ordered some Campy components from Ribble earlier this week without an issue, I have not received them yet but it shows they have been dispatched.

Jeff

loxx0050
09-28-2017, 03:49 PM
I just ordered some Michelin latex tubes from Ribble last week and it shipped the same day.

Was definitely cheaper than from US retailers or Amazon. But they also carried the 40mm valve length that is hard to impossible to find at a US retailers...even Amazon has sparse listings for these that come from 3rd parties out of country.

I wouldn't mind buying Vrdestein (sp?) Latex tubes since they measure differently so the 50mm length is shorter where it counts. But those seem to also be hard to find from a US retailers too.

choke
09-28-2017, 05:26 PM
This topic does raise the question of why these items are more expensive in the US than these British sites. Is it the import duties? More middlemen? Wal-Mart style pricing schemes from Ribble etc.? Manufacturer-mandated pricing?It's likely a combination of everything that you listed, though the last one is a big problem in the US. The US allows resale price maintenance while the EU does not.

While many may see blocking shipments to the US as a good thing, I see it as exactly the opposite and I'll try to steer of products from any company which does so. That really sucks for me as Castelli shorts have long been my favorite.

Tony T
09-28-2017, 05:44 PM

Yes!! Great for Sidi and Castelli!!!
(but not so good for the US consumer :()
(…and even better for their competitors, as I will now be giving them my business :))

wc1934
09-28-2017, 05:50 PM
I ordered some Campy components from Ribble earlier this week without an issue, I have not received them yet but it shows they have been dispatched.

Jeff

Yeah that's the crazy part of this.
I can and did get campy components without a problem (received them in less than a week). Not sure if I can't complete the transaction because I am trying to buy clothing/shoes or if it is the particular brands (Castelli and Sidi) that are excluded/ preventing the purchase.

CSKeller
09-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Trying to understand...

Can someone tell me what IBDs and ISPs are in the sales context?

mhespenheide
09-28-2017, 09:50 PM
Trying to understand...

Can someone tell me what IBDs and ISPs are in the sales context?

Independent Bicycle Dealer (your local shop)
and
Internet Service Provider (the company you access your internet through)

Bostic
09-28-2017, 10:38 PM

What happens if someone uses a third party VPN or the built in one in the Opera Web Browser to not be US based? Or does the shipping to US then flag it as well for a no sale?

Davist
09-29-2017, 06:21 AM
You have to tell them a shipping address, then it says "this product not available to ship to your area" or some such..

peanutgallery
09-29-2017, 07:53 AM
This is a puzzling sentiment, nobody at the LBS level is ever going to get rich. Scratching out a middle class existence is a dream for all but a few. No retirement or benefits to speak of, you're on your own. Most do it for the passion of the sport and quality of life, don't begrudge them for doing something in life that generates enough profit for food on the table and a roof over the head.

If you do begrudge that person, please share what it is that you do in life, what you charge for it and as a group we can collectively judge if you're gouging your way thru life or not and if what you do justifies how you are compensated

Price gouging at the LBS, pfffffft. Sort of like the concept of clean coal

oldpotatoe
09-29-2017, 08:10 AM
This is a puzzling sentiment, nobody at the LBS level is ever going to get rich. Scratching out a middle class existence is a dream for all but a few. No retirement or benefits to speak of, you're on your own. Most do it for the passion of the sport and quality of life, don't begrudge them for doing something in life that generates enough profit for food on the table and a roof over the head.

If you do begrudge that person, please share what it is that you do in life, what you charge for it and as a group we can collectively judge if you're gouging your way thru life or not and if what you do justifies how you are compensated

I agree. Pricing is all over the map because of weird, grey/black market distribution, manufacturer's who get their margin regardless and don't care who they sell to(distributors who sell to bike shops AND consumers) and walmart type selling in a rush for the bottom who rely totally on volume.

BUT LBS' buy, add a margin to keep the lights on, and try to stay in BIZ. 35-36 points is the recognized minimum to break even at the end of the year(take cost and divide by .65/.64)...no more debt and no net profit. US LBS are tied to distribution channels in most cases. Some manufacturer's are LBS direct(like Mavic, Ritchey, others) but when you see prices from places like Planet Cyclery and others, don't say the LBS is gouging me cuz their prices are higher. These MO outfits are discounting deeply, often w/o warranty(regardless of what they say-most self warranty), and if the volume goes down a bit, they are adios.

Throw in stoopid product intro schedule and bike makers who demand the world and promise nothing...buy a load of bikes that sell at low margin, no $ to build, sell or service after the sale, then discount(means losing $) when the new crap is introduced in the middle of the selling season.

Lots of stuff goes into this but please, do a little research, that tube at $7 doesn't mean the LBS is 'trying to screw US!!'....

peanutgallery
09-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Sad trombones...poor Wiggle

https://cyclingindustry.news/wigglecrc-full-year-results-show-deepening-losses/

sdrides
09-29-2017, 05:51 PM

It's not that anyone begrudges the shop owners, I'm definitely sympathetic. But in the end, it's not really my job to look out for their bottom line, is it? I'm concerned about my bottom line, reasonably so I think, and that makes the pricing downtown pretty unappealing against some of these easily accessible alternatives.

nesteel
09-29-2017, 08:14 PM
I feel for independent shop owners trying to scratch out an existence. I split my locally spent funds between two local shops that I prefer. Frankly, the other ones can disappear.
That being said, I have a REAL hard time with the concept that I need to spend my money (I'm trying to scratch out a middle class living too, remember?) supporting the LBS SUPPLIERS that choose to play games with the LBS. It's incredibly unfortunate that the manufacturers are putting the LBS in such a bad position, but at the end of the day, that's a problem for the two of them to work out. Don't make your customer a victim, if you can help it.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2017, 06:55 AM
It's not that anyone begrudges the shop owners, I'm definitely sympathetic. But in the end, it's not really my job to look out for their bottom line, is it? I'm concerned about my bottom line, reasonably so I think, and that makes the pricing downtown pretty unappealing against some of these easily accessible alternatives.

And most smart bike shop owners don't fault any consumer for buying stuff for less. The bike industry is gooned up, has been for years...but a little understanding of what and why goes a long way.

kgreene10
09-30-2017, 11:32 AM
This is really weird. I'm pretty sure I posted the first reply to the OP, but now my post is gone. I've never had that happen before. It was just a routine post about companies protecting US sales from overseas competitors who are able to offer products cheaper due to tax laws and distributors' practices. I can't imagine there was anything in such a common statement that would encourage the mods to remove it. So, a software glitch? Or I dreamed that I posted? Or I posted on a very similar thread and misremember? Odd.

LJohnny
09-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Kgreene10, the OP started 2 threads on different sub forums. I bet your post is in the other one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kgreene10
09-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Kgreene10, the OP started 2 threads on different sub forums. I bet your post is in the other one

Aha! That sounds likely. I was a little concerned that I had inadvertently written something offensive but couldn't figure what it might have been. Thanks!

wc1934
09-30-2017, 02:24 PM

YES. I originally accidentally posted in the classified section. When I realized my mistake I tried to delete it but could not figure out how. So, I reposted in general discussion, where I thought it belonged. Sorry for that.

adub
09-30-2017, 09:10 PM
So you agree with price gouging and price fixing?

adub
09-30-2017, 09:12 PM
And this is the same with my business, and all businesses. Times are a changing. No business model will survive on sympathy.

And most smart bike shop owners don't fault any consumer for buying stuff for less. The bike industry is gooned up, has been for years...but a little understanding of what and why goes a long way.

peanutgallery
09-30-2017, 09:47 PM
True, but when you need help - don't forget your wallet

And this is the same with my business, and all businesses. Times are a changing. No business model will survive on sympathy.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2017, 06:35 AM
So you agree with price gouging and price fixing?

Like I mentioned, a little research into the what's and whys of bike manufacture and distribution might be in order. Along with that, a little research into margins, and what it takes to keep the lights on.

OBTW-'price fixing' is illegal in Europe and the US. In the US, a bike shop that buys bike widget 'A' can sell it for whatever they wish..BUT when it comes to buying more for sale from a manufacturer or distributor, they might not be able to.

You mentioned in a previous post about things being similar 'in your business'...do you buy and sell stuff? If so, you understand, I hope.

Mark McM
10-02-2017, 10:06 AM
OBTW-'price fixing' is illegal in Europe and the US. In the US, a bike shop that buys bike widget 'A' can sell it for whatever they wish..BUT when it comes to buying more for sale from a manufacturer or distributor, they might not be able to.

That's pretty much the definition of price fixing. To deny, or threaten to deny, supplying product to a retailer is a form of coercion to enforce participation in price fixing.

As it currently stands, some degree of vertical price fixing is currently allowed under US anti-trust laws, so MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) schemes as commonly used in the bicycle industry are legal.

jemoryl
10-23-2017, 10:08 AM
I recently purchased several items from Ribble and noticed a very low number of Campy products available (e.g. no groupsets). They had the brake pads I needed but not even an inner Campy gear cable.... Wonder if they are dropping Campy?

That would suck for me.

oldpotatoe
10-23-2017, 10:24 AM
I recently purchased several items from Ribble and noticed a very low number of Campy products available (e.g. no groupsets). They had the brake pads I needed but not even an inner Campy gear cable.... Wonder if they are dropping Campy?

That would suck for me.

Doubt it. Probably Campagnolo(and others) ‘tightening’ up distribution channels. Plus new product time....

earlfoss
10-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Ribble has been my go-to for a long time on lots of stuff. It would suck if that source dried up. If they can charge far less than any source in the USA, good for them, and they'll have me as a customer. Maybe how they're doing things is the wave of the future?

For most things, I won't pay close to twice the amount to buy the same item from a retailer in the USA. Tires, drivetrain consumables, etc. When faced with paying $100+ for a Conti Competition from a retailer in the USA vs ~$60 from Ribble, what do you think makes the most sense (unless you need the item right now)?

Tony T
10-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Bit of a sidenote, but what's your opinion of your LBS' Web presence?
The ones in my area are piss-poor. Outdated, poor designs, poor search.
LBS' need to embrace the internet, not fight it.

jemoryl
10-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Ribble has been my go-to for a long time on lots of stuff. It would suck if that source dried up. If they can charge far less than any source in the USA, good for them, and they'll have me as a customer. Maybe how they're doing things is the wave of the future?

For most things, I won't pay close to twice the amount to buy the same item from a retailer in the USA. Tires, drivetrain consumables, etc. When faced with paying $100+ for a Conti Competition from a retailer in the USA vs ~$60 from Ribble, what do you think makes the most sense (unless you need the item right now)?

I might be buying a new Chorus groupset in the next 6 months or so, and if I had to pay Campy USA prices it won't happen. This long time Campy rider might be on his first Ultegra equipped bike.