PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ebay deals that are too good to believe!

sales guy
09-27-2017, 07:59 PM
So most here know I am in the bike industry. Like IN it. And I'm friends with a bunch of people in it. So every year some scumbag steals a bike or two or 6 from Interbike. It's been happening for years! This year, Campagnolo got hit for a custom Venge. Two years ago they got hit for one of their custom Sarto bikes. BH got hit for 2 of them the same year. It happens. It's massive BS but it happens.

So I was looking on Ebay last night and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sarto-Asola-Custom-Build-Campagnolo-/202065756035?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D6201b bd7130b41ebae54db90222e6819%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D 3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D202008461580&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=YtwNQaBxFP252TnMcC69snOCk5U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now, I know the seller. I won't go into how other than to say he's far from reputable. This bike, THIS bike is a Campagnolo Demo Bike. They are NOT for sale! They travel with Campy to events for demos. That's it. Pretty simple. So how did this dude get his hands on one???

Well I told my buddies at Campy and on it went. He spoke to someone with one of these. Had this person send him pictures of it. And he posted it online...FOR SALE!!! Some dudes personal bike, he posted on ebay to sell!!!

Seriously! ***!?!?!?!?!

So, long story short, watch what you buy and where from. Cause this dude was literally trying to sell someone else bike. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Pegoready
09-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Dude. You have the weirdest stories.

sales guy
09-27-2017, 08:33 PM
That's what happens when you're in the bike industry!

I reported it to Campy cause I knew what it was and knew they'd had a bike nicked. I was worried this was one of them and wanted to get it back to them. Little did I know what the real story was.

The guy, it was literally like I took a picture of someones car, sold it and then said hey, I need to buy your car cause I sold it!

Super messed up. Fortunately it's been removed.

Clean39T
09-27-2017, 08:35 PM
So much weird stuff in the world - lot of good people too - but man, there are some strange brains out there...

sales guy
09-27-2017, 08:36 PM
^^^^^^ Exactly! We had a laugh about it cause it just made ZERO sense! We were like, ummm....HUH?

makoti
09-27-2017, 09:10 PM
So most here know I am in the bike industry. Like IN it. And I'm friends with a bunch of people in it. So every year some scumbag steals a bike or two or 6 from Interbike. It's been happening for years! This year, Campagnolo got hit for a custom Venge. Two years ago they got hit for one of their custom Sarto bikes. BH got hit for 2 of them the same year. It happens. It's massive BS but it happens.

So I was looking on Ebay last night and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sarto-Asola-Custom-Build-Campagnolo-/202065756035?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D6201b bd7130b41ebae54db90222e6819%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D 3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D202008461580&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=YtwNQaBxFP252TnMcC69snOCk5U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now, I know the seller. I won't go into how other than to say he's far from reputable. This bike, THIS bike is a Campagnolo Demo Bike. They are NOT for sale! They travel with Campy to events for demos. That's it. Pretty simple. So how did this dude get his hands on one???

Well I told my buddies at Campy and on it went. He spoke to someone with one of these. Had this person send him pictures of it. And he posted it online...FOR SALE!!! Some dudes personal bike, he posted on ebay to sell!!!

Seriously! ***!?!?!?!?!

So, long story short, watch what you buy and where from. Cause this dude was literally trying to sell someone else bike. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Great. It's no longer for sale. Killjoy. ;)

sales guy
09-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Great. It's no longer for sale. Killjoy. ;)

LOL!!! Yeah, could've had a really nice one of a kind bike. Well, there are 6 of them. But you get the idea.

dbnm
09-27-2017, 09:23 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-57-lb-AX-Lightness-Vial-EVO-56-cm-Di2-Dura-Ace-THM-M3-SRM-Powermeter/292232000384?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

eippo1
09-27-2017, 09:34 PM
So it's not just cars and bikes. I know a guy that probably is just getting out of jail that did this with a house. He had a friend that goes to Florida every year and knew guy was down on his luck, so friend does a really nice thing and says that guy can stay there over the winter.

A neighbor one day goes by and sees a survey of the property going on so phones the owner friend and asks if he's putting a fence up or something. Friend says he isn't and has no idea why the property would be surveyed. Checks in with the guy staying there who says oh no that was another neighbor's house, who was just getting some work done.

Friend smells something fishy so calls his lawyer who tells friend to call the cops. The cops of a medium sized Mass town are interested because they're probably bored of the basic crap they deal with, so decide to stake the place out and see what happens. Pretty much right after they begin watching the property, they see a known town realtor meeting with the guy and do a walkthrough. They get the realtor on board with them and document the guy go through the entire process of trying to sell his friend's house. Needless to say, it was a short trial and the guy ended up in prison for a while. He was a coworker and kind of a dick, but not a junkie or anything so have no idea what possessed him to try this crap.

oliver1850
09-27-2017, 09:46 PM
No $7500 bike is a deal too good to believe.

sales guy
09-27-2017, 09:57 PM
No $7500 bike is a deal too good to believe.

For a custom carbon with Campy super record EPS H11 and Bora ultra wheels?
$7500 is below dealer cost!

sales guy
09-27-2017, 09:59 PM
So it's not just cars and bikes. I know a guy that probably is just getting out of jail that did this with a house. He had a friend that goes to Florida every year and knew guy was down on his luck, so friend does a really nice thing and says that guy can stay there over the winter.

A neighbor one day goes by and sees a survey of the property going on so phones the owner friend and asks if he's putting a fence up or something. Friend says he isn't and has no idea why the property would be surveyed. Checks in with the guy staying there who says oh no that was another neighbor's house, who was just getting some work done.

Friend smells something fishy so calls his lawyer who tells friend to call the cops. The cops of a medium sized Mass town are interested because they're probably bored of the basic crap they deal with, so decide to stake the place out and see what happens. Pretty much right after they begin watching the property, they see a known town realtor meeting with the guy and do a walkthrough. They get the realtor on board with them and document the guy go through the entire process of trying to sell his friend's house. Needless to say, it was a short trial and the guy ended up in prison for a while. He was a coworker and kind of a dick, but not a junkie or anything so have no idea what possessed him to try this crap.

I know someone who had a similar thing happen! How odd that people think they can do it and get away with it.

andeww
09-27-2017, 10:50 PM
Would still be hard to sell at 7500 quickly. Why not put 4k BIN and run for the hills?

tylercheung
09-28-2017, 12:09 AM
sad to hear. Bike thieves are the worst. Especially having had 3 bikes stolen from me in the past, including one custom fillet-brazed frame that I ordered after getting my first job.

Were these the powder blue Sarto frames they used for all the press demos for the new disc brakes and in all the press photos for the H11 reviews? I loved the look of those....

josephr
09-28-2017, 07:42 AM
For a custom carbon with Campy super record EPS H11 and Bora ultra wheels?
$7500 is below dealer cost!

maybe if your buyers are dentists???

sales guy
09-28-2017, 10:19 AM
maybe if your buyers are dentists???

I have a customer who is a building developer in Miami, NY, CT and in Europe. Has a ton of money. He is getting a super custom titanium frame.
The bar, post, frame, fork, rims- all painted Matte Fluro Orange.
Garmin 1000
Power tap hubset
SRAM Etap
carbon bar, post
enve rims- matching, not small front big rear
Time X15 carbon/ti/ceramic pedals

His bike is over 12k

You'd be surprised what we get. We had two Exemplars- 16k bikes head to Asia last month.

Spaghetti Legs
09-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Low feedback guy with a neutral and a negative, I'm not surprised there weren't many folks out there very anxious to hand him $10k.

Plus despite the apparent dealer cost of this bike, I can't think of any bike that is too good to be true at that price. Well maybe a frameset fillet brazed by Ugo De Rosa himself, cooled in the sweat dripping from the brow of Tullio Campagnolo as he looks over his shoulder.

sales guy
09-28-2017, 10:22 AM
sad to hear. Bike thieves are the worst. Especially having had 3 bikes stolen from me in the past, including one custom fillet-brazed frame that I ordered after getting my first job.

Were these the powder blue Sarto frames they used for all the press demos for the new disc brakes and in all the press photos for the H11 reviews? I loved the look of those....

Yep, that be those.

So Campagnolo has Sarto make custom carbon frames, does the powder blue paint and all Campagnolo graphics. Full Campy kit of course. They have 24 of them. 4 in Campy US possession. 1 to the Canadian distributor, 1 to a US distributor. So 6 in North America. And the US distributors bike is the one this guy tried to sell. The rest are in Europe and Asia.

The balls on this guy were MASSIVE to think he could do it.

sales guy
09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Low feedback guy with a neutral and a negative, I'm not surprised there weren't many folks out there very anxious to hand him $10k.

Plus despite the apparent dealer cost of this bike, I can't think of any bike that is too good to be true at that price. Well maybe a frameset fillet brazed by Ugo De Rosa himself, cooled in the sweat dripping from the brow of Tullio Campagnolo as he looks over his shoulder.

He has had a couple other Ebay accounts as well. This is just his current one.

The cost/rarity of it is what would draw someone to it. It has 2018 parts, some not out yet on a Campagnolo Demo Bike. Kind of a cool get. If it were legit of course. But I do get your point.

CaptStash
09-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Yep, that be those.

So Campagnolo has Sarto make custom carbon frames, does the powder blue paint and all Campagnolo graphics. Full Campy kit of course. They have 24 of them. 4 in Campy US possession.

So I have an old friend (high school) who's kinda' sorta' a big deal at Campy U.S. and he rides this cool powder blue Sarto. Now I know "the rest of the story".

CaptStash....

sales guy
09-28-2017, 04:16 PM
So I have an old friend (high school) who's kinda' sorta' a big deal at Campy U.S. and he rides this cool powder blue Sarto. Now I know "the rest of the story".

CaptStash....

Who is he? I probably know him. It's not a big office there.