PDA

View Full Version : OT resurrection of living in a van thread

jimcav
09-27-2017, 02:44 PM
So after many months and pretty much giving up hope, I got the job in Ridgecrest CA. I am NOT living in a van, because I couldn't find one I trusted to drive here for under 10k. Maybe that was a completely unreasonable budget, but all I found are incredibly nice (and $$$) Sprinters, ridiculously priced westfalia, or beat to hell "surf" vans that might cost 3-4k but I had no hope they'd survive desert temps in the summer or even make the trip up here etc. I do have a truck so considered a micro-camper, but am still enamored with the idea of the van for some reason--park it and sleep, take it to Kernville to mtb etc. I gave up on 4x4 once I saw the costs of those. anyway, my new question is: I was reviewing the truck threads here and wondered if the advice on certain years of trucks from ford, dodge, chevy would also apply to the vans of the same model years? My wife laid claim to our old freestar for the times she needs to schlep 7 kids for school functions--my initial plan was to try and convert it on my own. But now that I am working, I know I won't be spending my free time doing a van conversion myself, so am back to looking at already done camper vans. I figure my hotel lodging is only about $12500 a year, so it doesn't make sense to buy a 45k sprinter. I plan to talk to the RV park and see if I could park my truck with a "pop up" style roof top tent there--don't see why not.
jim

texbike
09-27-2017, 02:49 PM
So after many months and pretty much giving up hope, I got the job in Ridgecrest CA. I am NOT living in a van, because I couldn't find one I trusted to drive here for under 10k. Maybe that was a completely unreasonable budget, but all I found are incredibly nice (and $$$) Sprinters, ridiculously priced westfalia, or beat to hell "surf" vans that might cost 3-4k but I had no hope they'd survive desert temps in the summer or even make the trip up here etc. I do have a truck so considered a micro-camper, but am still enamored with the idea of the van for some reason--park it and sleep, take it to Kernville to mtb etc. I gave up on 4x4 once I saw the costs of those. anyway, my new question is: I was reviewing the truck threads here and wondered if the advice on certain years of trucks from ford, dodge, chevy would also apply to the vans of the same model years? My wife laid claim to our old freestar for the times she needs to schlep 7 kids for school functions--my initial plan was to try and convert it on my own. But now that I am working, I know I won't be spending my free time doing a van conversion myself, so am back to looking at already done camper vans. I figure my hotel lodging is only about $12500 a year, so it doesn't make sense to buy a 45k sprinter. I plan to talk to the RV park and see if I could park my truck with a "pop up" style roof top tent there--don't see why not.
jim

Rent a room from someone in the area maybe??? Living out of a car in the desert doesn't sound particularly restful...

JAGI410
09-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Here’s my new baby. A 1984 Chevy G20 van, converted by Winnebago, with 105k miles on it. Couch that folds into a bed? Yup. 4 captains chairs that swivel? Yup. Towing package? Yup. Fits multiple bikes inside without removing wheels?Yup. Under $3k? Yup.

I bought it local, and went on a 500 mile road trip the week after. In fact it’s going on it’s 3rd 500+ mile road trip this weekend. That makes 3 in September. I can park for the night, drink beer in my recliner, then crawl into my comfy bed. Dead nuts reliable, simple to get parts for and work on, and parts are cheap! The hipster/#vanlife trend has made VW and Sprinter van prices go well beyond reasonable. There’s still a lot of other cool vans out there that can do the same damn thing.

https://i.imgur.com/OmrRvW8.jpg

Ken Robb
09-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Here’s my new baby. A 1984 Chevy G20 van, converted by Winnebago, with 105k miles on it. Couch that folds into a bed? Yup. 4 captains chairs that swivel? Yup. Towing package? Yup. Fits multiple bikes inside without removing wheels?Yup. Under $3k? Yup.

I bought it local, and went on a 500 mile road trip the week after. In fact it’s going on it’s 3rd 500+ mile road trip this weekend. That makes 3 in September. I can park for the night, drink beer in my recliner, then crawl into my comfy bed. Dead nuts reliable, simple to get parts for and work on, and parts are cheap! The hipster/#vanlife trend has made VW and Sprinter van prices go well beyond reasonable. There’s still a lot of other cool vans out there that can do the same damn thing.

JEEZ, It looks NEW!

JAGI410
09-27-2017, 03:06 PM
JEEZ, It looks NEW!

Behold the power of free time, a 6 pack, and my porter cable buffer!

https://i.imgur.com/EXMvClz.jpg

jimcav
09-27-2017, 03:11 PM
for fun you should go to San Diego CL and search conversion van with price limit of 3k.

azrider
09-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Wow....taht thing is legit!

Love the old school paint scheme also. Great find.

donevwil
09-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Thank you :rolleyes:, I've just spent the last 20 minutes scouring Craigslist.

likebikes
09-27-2017, 03:55 PM
i've been living out of my hatchback for the past year. not out of choice or for fun or #vanlife, but out of desperation- i've been unable to find a job with my degree and unable to afford rent.

JAGI410
09-27-2017, 04:13 PM
i've been living out of my hatchback for the past year. not out of choice or for fun or #vanlife, but out of desperation- i've been unable to find a job with my degree and unable to afford rent.

That’s rough! Are you at least staying in a decent area where you can hike/bike to regain some sanity? Are you open to moving anywhere in the US? Seems like this forum has a big enough “network” to find you some leads!

JAGI410
09-27-2017, 04:18 PM
for fun you should go to San Diego CL and search conversion van with price limit of 3k.

First one: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/1992-b250-dodge-van-converter/6312791297.html

Move to $5k and there’s some good 4x4 projects!

weaponsgrade
09-27-2017, 04:37 PM
That brings back memories. My dad bought a van just like that when my siblings and I were growing up. I remember lots of trips to Canada, the swiveling captain chairs covered in velvet where I'd always get car sick if I even just attempted a swivel, and a small table in the middle. Sometimes my dad would crawl back there for a nap while waiting for us to finish soccer practice.

William
09-27-2017, 06:41 PM

SEINFELD'S VAN!! SEINFELD'S VAN!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7jHxi4-fC8) :D

William

William
09-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Stay wherever you like....

William

MattTuck
09-27-2017, 07:47 PM

That’s rough! Are you at least staying in a decent area where you can hike/bike to regain some sanity? Are you open to moving anywhere in the US? Seems like this forum has a big enough “network” to find you some leads!

I think he's got bigger things to worry about than biking...

45K10
09-28-2017, 06:48 AM

Sweet! Now you need to get a Molly Hatchet spare tire cover and a CB whip! Did you find that in Minnesota? I can't believe it isn't rusted. The rocker panels were notorious for rusting out. awesome find

PeregrineA1
09-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Pm me. I've got a co-worker that may be looking to sublet a single family home in Ridgecrest for far less than your hotel budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockdude
09-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Good vans are very expensive. When I saw what they were going for, I put mine up for sale the next day and it was sold it in two weeks. I sold my Sportsmobile w/ 200k miles for what I paid for it 18 years ago. Replaced it will a slide in bed camper for my truck.

JAGI410
09-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Sweet! Now you need to get a Molly Hatchet spare tire cover and a CB whip! Did you find that in Minnesota? I can't believe it isn't rusted. The rocker panels were notorious for rusting out. awesome find

Found it in Hankinson, ND about an hour south of me. It’s spent it’s whole life in eastern ND. I’m the third owner. Zero rust underneath or anywhere else which is amazing. I looked at newer vans that had terminal rot already! It came with a huge stack of maintenance records. The only thing that didn’t work was cruise control, but I fixed that already with a $23 switch. I also installed a DVD/CD/Bluetooth stereo and backup camera. Gotta have good tunes on the road! CB antenna might happen too. I was thinking Foghat instead of Molly Hatchet though.

Birddog
09-28-2017, 11:27 AM
You need this sticker
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41brRnTnWtL.jpg

jtakeda
09-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Ridgecrest eh?

I have some friends that live in inyokern on a huge plot of land with probably about 6 trailers on the property.

If I were you I'd recommend doing what they do. Buy a nice little plot of desert land. Buy some leftover Hollywood trailers and build away.

They've outfitted their land with solar so they put electricity into the grid during the day and use what they put in at night.
Pellet burning stove for winters.

If you're committed to living in a car I know they had a freight liner on their land you could buy one of those and outfit then back for a city sized apartment in a car!

chrismoustache
09-28-2017, 12:25 PM
I run 2 1980's Toyota Vans. Both 4WD. 1 5 Speed, 1 Auto. Both great.

If I went van shopping again, I'd go a different route. Parts availability is the biggest challenge with these, and there are fewer and fewer out there.

Bostic
09-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Do new vans like the pictured one even exist anymore? All I see are these huge Sprinter conversions that are a 100k and up. Something like that Chevy would be perfect for my wife and I to do traveling in.

jimcav
09-28-2017, 12:57 PM
I don't really want a commute, and the area you mention is west, but I have yet to get a feel for traffic etc. there is a really nice RV park on the base where I work, so the van idea seemed simple--plug in for AC when it is hot and when not hot I could be anywhere. I'll have to check land prices but assumed anything would be far more than I can spend

Ridgecrest eh?

I have some friends that live in inyokern on a huge plot of land with probably about 6 trailers on the property.

If I were you I'd recommend doing what they do. Buy a nice little plot of desert land. Buy some leftover Hollywood trailers and build away.

They've outfitted their land with solar so they put electricity into the grid during the day and use what they put in at night.
Pellet burning stove for winters.

If you're committed to living in a car I know they had a freight liner on their land you could buy one of those and outfit then back for a city sized apartment in a car!

JAGI410
09-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Warning, this will fill your head with bad ideas. If you decide to ignore my warning, make sure you have a few minutes to fully enjoy it all.

https://mikesee.exposure.co/clifford

azrider
09-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Do new vans like the pictured one even exist anymore?

Sure they do. Here is Fords version.

http://fordtransitconversion.com//cars/admin/uploads/F5959A.JPG

If we were to outgrow our current "weekend truck" and went the van route I'd be all over the new Nissan NV :cool::cool:

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/221175272+w660+h495+cr1/nissan-nv-cargo-x-right-front-angle.jpg

BobbyJones
09-28-2017, 01:50 PM
A couple of thoughts to put in your head:

Don't know what the AirBNB scene is there, but I have some friends who are doing longer term rentals and it seems to work out. It seems to open up rentals that wouldn't normally be on the "open" market due to the backing of the company.

Or if you're really wanting to try the Van / RV scene, maybe look for a smaller used Airstream or Scamp trailer (something trendy that'll hold value) that you can tow behind your truck. It may cost some $$$ up front, but you'll recoup upon selling if you find out the lifestyle isn't for you. And if you need to stash it for an extended period of time, it's easy enough to store smaller trailers in self-serve type storage places relatively cheap.

Whatever route you go, good luck!

Jaybee
09-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Warning, this will fill your head with bad ideas. If you decide to ignore my warning, make sure you have a few minutes to fully enjoy it all.

https://mikesee.exposure.co/clifford

Damn. My wife is going to hate you....

eBAUMANN
09-28-2017, 03:28 PM
funny to see this pop up...im in the process of converting a sprinter right now, with the ultimate goal of selling off most of my stuff, quitting my job next year and traveling around for a year...or more. so tired of "the grind," van seems like a good way out to me.

BobbyJones
09-28-2017, 05:04 PM
We may have a Paceline caravan out there...

funny to see this pop up...im in the process of converting a sprinter right now, with the ultimate goal of selling off most of my stuff, quitting my job next year and traveling around for a year...or more. so tired of "the grind," van seems like a good way out to me.

wasfast
09-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Perhaps a smaller option than the Sprinter is a Ford Transit Connect. A couple I know have outfitted theirs for overnight use and it's pretty nice, especially for just one person. Basics only of course, not the 4 Seasons.

JAGI410
09-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Might as well get a proper minivan instead. Transit Connects are still smaller than a Caravan or Sierra. With less power and FWD only. I don’t see the appeal, other than looks.

William
10-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Spotted a new candidate this past weekend... Big Red!

William

John H.
10-10-2017, 09:32 PM
How about a converted bus?

There is one for sale right by my house- seller is asking 18k- I bet he would take 10.

paredown
10-11-2017, 06:18 AM
How about a converted bus?

There is one for sale right by my house- seller is asking 18k- I bet he would take 10.
Which reminds me of this--a Wash U Architecture student's project--a bus conversion:
https://gizmodo.com/this-architecture-student-converted-a-school-bus-into-a-1155859387

weisan
10-11-2017, 07:21 AM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--sqPshkgb--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18x7ushwx1wu5jpg.jpg

cderalow
10-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Look for old ford econoline work vans. They might have taken a beating in pervious lives, but they have always been solid.

Or Chevy Astro vans.

My mom just retired at 56, bought herself a Ford F-150 and a 27’ trailer. Living in that now full time.

Not sure I could do it personally for long term but to each their own.

William
10-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Look for old ford econoline work vans. They might have taken a beating in pervious lives, but they have always been solid.

Or Chevy Astro vans.

My mom just retired at 56, bought herself a Ford F-150 and a 27’ trailer. Living in that now full time.

Spotted this one yesterday (no relation to seller)...

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/2003-ford-e150-custom-camper/6336860491.html

William

Birddog
10-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Saw my first Tiny House on the road yesterday evening, what a POS IMO. The lady was pulling the top heavy rig with an F 250 up Palo Flechado a 2 mile 6% grade at under 10 mph. The arse end of the TH was nearly scraping the pavement as the load was way off balance. I'd bet the TH was wagging her all over the place on straight flat roads. Her gas lid was open and the cap was dangling so I imagine her Check Engine light was on when she summitted. She did pull over and let the string following her pass. The rig didn't look too road worthy, I'd opt for a travel trailer over a TH every day but whatever floats your boat..........

Nooch
10-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Man, I look at this and the whole #vanlife thing and I get into it, wonder what different choices I'd made if this were a thing (that appealed to me) back when..

But, then I realize my last (and not yet born) daughter will be off to college by the time I'm 51 -- Plenty of time to live that #vanlife when they're out of the house -- at least on the weekends!

cderalow
10-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Man, I look at this and the whole #vanlife thing and I get into it, wonder what different choices I'd made if this were a thing (that appealed to me) back when..

But, then I realize my last (and not yet born) daughter will be off to college by the time I'm 51 -- Plenty of time to live that #vanlife when they're out of the house -- at least on the weekends!

same situation here except my youngest will be off to college in 12 years when I'm 46!

:banana:

jh_on_the_cape
10-11-2017, 02:08 PM
I lived in my Ford Econoline cargo van for almost a year a long time ago. they work great and any mechanic can fix it for cheap and usually has the parts.
I bought another cargo van and still keep it as a third car.
When biking and hiking, the real van dudes usually have a ford or gm or dodge van. the weekend #vanlife people have the $$ sprinters and VW westfalia because they are cool.
my buddies tease me about my 'chester the molester' van. FREE CANDY!

Or Chevy Astro vans.

unterhausen
10-11-2017, 11:53 PM
I have no idea why, but we had trouble even getting the attention of scammers when we sold my mom's van. It had previously been outfitted for a plumber, really solid, nobody wanted it. We pretty much gave it away.

I want to do a conversion on a Sprinter.

chrismoustache
10-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Though not expensive compared to VWs, still a little out of my range.

Still, I'd like to go for one of these Toyota Camp Mate (https://bringatrailer.com/2016/10/16/4x4-diesel-camper-w-slide-out-1990-toyota-liteace/) vans.

texbike
10-12-2017, 08:51 AM

We did a "camping" trip this past weekend with my parents at an RV park here in Texas. We stayed in a cabin onsite and they stayed in their RV. It was a real eye-opener. There's an entire sub-culture around the RV/van/trailer lifestyle that I just wasn't aware of. We met multiple people that were living full time in a few of these rigs or at least spending a significant amount of time in them. One of which was a really cool, younger couple with two kids from Seattle. They decided to sell their business and hit the road for awhile in their RV. Different paths...

Texbike

Ken Robb
10-12-2017, 10:26 AM
We did a "camping" trip this past weekend with my parents at an RV park here in Texas. We stayed in a cabin onsite and they stayed in their RV. It was a real eye-opener. There's an entire sub-culture around the RV/van/trailer lifestyle that I just wasn't aware of. We met multiple people that were living full time in a few of these rigs or at least spending a significant amount of time in them. One of which was a really cool, younger couple with two kids from Seattle. They decided to sell their business and hit the road for awhile in their RV. Different paths...

Texbike

When we had a boat our marina neighbors lived aboard a sloop of about 40 feet. Mom, dad, 2 elementary school kids and a cat. It was a beautiful boat and they sailed it often. When you live in a marina you are always around folks with at least ONE common interest. :)

metalheart
10-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Maybe not what the OP had in mind, but if I were thinking about living a mobile life, this would be high on my list:comes with its own little trailer to haul bikes, you can detach the camper/living space and drive away, it is self-contained by solar power, and has enough space for a couple of people who get along well.

http://www.tonke.eu/en/collection/demountable-campers/fieldsleeper-en/

jimcav
10-17-2017, 10:01 AM
I haven't found anything reasonable, unless i get an old van and do the interior
myself. I thought it would make more sense working 4 days on 3 days off,
but there are some small home or room rentals up here that are attractive pricewise.
jim
Maybe not what the OP had in mind, but if I were thinking about living a mobile life, this would be high on my list:comes with its own little trailer to haul bikes, you can detach the camper/living space and drive away, it is self-contained by solar power, and has enough space for a couple of people who get along well.

http://www.tonke.eu/en/collection/demountable-campers/fieldsleeper-en/

Drmojo
10-17-2017, 11:37 AM
same situation here except my youngest will be off to college in 12 years when I'm 46!

:banana:

She will be off to college--when I am 71!

William
10-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Bryan and Jen Danger spend most nights on the road in their converted Sprinter van, but when they’re back home in Portland, they sleep in their converted garage. They rent their 3-bedroom home (attached to the garage), as well as the garage when they’re not in town.

Five years ago, the couple quit high-paying jobs (after tucking away a nest egg), rented out their home and moved into a remodeled VW van. Back in Portland after a year and a half on the road (to Central America and back), they realized their 3-bedroom home was too big for their shrunken lifestyle and they began to focus on creating shelter in their garage. Upon discovering their remodel would qualify as an ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit), making it free from permitting fees, the couple joined a local wood-and-metal-working shop (Bryan learned to weld) and began to craft the old parking into a 480-square-foot home.

Using mostly recycled wood and steel, they lofted their bed above storage stair unit that includes a closet, washer/drier den and a built-in TV and fireplace. With he same materials, they built floor-to-ceiling storage along one wall (they don’t use all the space). They laid the OSB floor and poured concrete into molds to create industrial countertops. A section of the counter swivels on casters to become a dining table, workspace or cocktail bar. The bathroom, the biggest room in the home, is a “wet bath” in acrylicized waterproof concrete inspired by the road trip’s outdoor showers.

Not wanting to give up on travel, they sold their Westy (not reliable enough) and bought a Mercedes Sprinter van. After adding insulation and wood paneling, they dropped in temporary OSB furniture to test run on road trips. Once they were comfortable with the layout, they crafted permanent furniture in bamboo, including marine-grade off-grid refrigerator, toilet and automated retractable awning (built to withstand high winds).

Today, the couple work designing small spaces for clients, and thanks to their light lifestyle, they haven’t had to return to full-time work even after 5 years on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sLQ-2rCdmw

The whole video is interesting but the second half (starting at about 14:00 in) is about the van set up.

William

Lanternrouge
10-17-2017, 03:48 PM
I haven't found anything reasonable, unless i get an old van and do the interior
myself. I thought it would make more sense working 4 days on 3 days off,
but there are some small home or room rentals up here that are attractive pricewise.
jim

That seems way more practical under the circumstances, but it makes for a less interesting thread.

jimcav
10-17-2017, 04:54 PM
That seems way more practical under the circumstances, but it makes for a less interesting thread.

well, I do still LIKE the idea: saw a VW Subaru conversion for 12k in Chula vista (which seems 1/2 the ridiculous typical price), and this weekend hope to explore a bit of the mountains nearby, so maybe I will come away more motivated to go the van route, but I think it more likely I will be motivated to buy a bigger travel bike to do bigger trails :bike:
I saw a truck with one of the pop up bondi roof top tents and that could be a good compromise except I know I need one that handles wind, because it get's crazy windy up here at times
jim

Ken Robb
10-17-2017, 05:21 PM
well, I do still LIKE the idea: saw a VW Subaru conversion for 12k in Chula vista (which seems 1/2 the ridiculous typical price), and this weekend hope to explore a bit of the mountains nearby, so maybe I will come away more motivated to go the van route, but I think it more likely I will be motivated to buy a bigger travel bike to do bigger trails :bike:
I saw a truck with one of the pop up bondi roof top tents and that could be a good compromise except I know I need one that handles wind, because it get's crazy windy up here at times
jim

Mountains nearby Chula Vista or Ridgecrest?

jimcav
10-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Mountains nearby Chula Vista or Ridgecrest?
I mean north and west of Ridgecrest--going to trail of 100 giants near Kernville, Lone pine, Big Pine this weekend

belopsky
10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
I had this G30 for a short while, had some carb issues, I ended up selling it before doing anything with it.

https://i.imgur.com/XLXo7dL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y9mxzTh.jpg

Ken Robb
10-17-2017, 07:31 PM
I mean north and west of Ridgecrest--going to trail of 100 giants near Kernville, Lone pine, Big Pine this weekend

Ah, well I won't look you up then. :-) I had a lovely campsite on the Kern River a few years ago.

VoyTirando
10-18-2017, 09:01 AM
don't know if anyone posted this - didn't see it. my wife and i got a kick out of the article. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/vanlife-the-bohemian-social-media-movement It's interesting how even something so romantic and 'simple' as living in a van has been dragged into the social media universe: there's a great passage here about how this couple spends forever trying to get just the right pic of a moment to post on instagram. arguably, they're trying to find a way to pay for this awesome lifestyle, and getting sponsors by having paid posts on their van life instagram feed is cool, but it seems to suck some of the joy from what on paper looks like bliss.

xnetter
10-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Last year, my now-wife and I spent 3 months touring the US and Canada in a fancy RoadTrek RV borrowed from our parents. It was an awesome experience, but required a lot of patience - and money. Moving around is expensive; perhaps if you've got it parked in a semi-permanent fashion, it's the cheapest way to live in a given spot.

The #vanlife thing is cool if you can swing it but I think in many cases you still need a home base or time off from the road. Many of the Insta van dweller stars say that you need a break now and then, or that climate patterns and practicality push you back into regular shelter at times. Minimal space and lack of capacity for anything beyond just sleeping and eating can be problematic for tinkering and other hobbies.

Boondocking and more rustic camping was great. We have tons of nice memories from Alberta, WA state, New Mexico, etc etc. Serviced campgrounds are necessary for the times you need to recharge the batteries/dump tanks/fill up on water but the KOA/RV park culture is pretty bleak.

The vehicle was based on a Chev Express van so lots of power and comfort. Decent on gas too, surprisingly. Some friends of ours have a Westy from the late 80s/early 90s and I think they have replaced every single part on that thing at least once. It is a true lemon, I'd NEVER want to own one.

KJ

jimcav
10-18-2017, 01:12 PM
The #vanlife thing is cool if you can swing it but I think in many cases you still need a home base or time off from the road. Many of the Insta van dweller stars say that you need a break now and then, or that climate patterns and practicality push you back into regular shelter at times. Minimal space and lack of capacity for anything beyond just sleeping and eating can be problematic for tinkering and other hobbies.

KJ

my situation is working M-Th and then going home (or possibly to cool out of the way MTB trails in the van), so the breaks are built in, I have access to a gym with shower if needed, RV parking area with little community center (shower, WiFi). Seemed ideal until I started pricing the vans. I was going to look at road trek near me, but it was 19k.

summilux
10-20-2017, 09:38 AM
I'm going to view a Vanagon Wesfalia camper tomorrow. It's supposed to be rust free but people seem to have different definitions of waht rust-free means these days. Maybe I'll be doing this soon.

fiamme red
03-29-2018, 09:23 AM
This man lives in Long Island City in a 2005 Dodge Sprinter: https://nypost.com/2018/03/28/high-rents-in-queens-forced-me-to-live-in-my-van/.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/022718featureshomelessbz7.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1286

jimcav
03-29-2018, 09:55 AM
but they are too expensive if reliable, and i have limited time with my boys so don't want all my wknds spent renovating a van. I still think it would be cost effective long term, but don't want to spend more than a year's rent or put a ton of time into it.

William
03-29-2018, 10:02 AM
This man lives in Long Island City in a 2005 Dodge Sprinter: https://nypost.com/2018/03/28/high-rents-in-queens-forced-me-to-live-in-my-van/.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/022718featureshomelessbz7.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1286

Cool, but I don't know if I want to know what's in that bag...:eek:

:D
William

Clean39T
03-29-2018, 10:52 AM

:D
William

Might be doin' jobs for the boyz in Jersey and on his way to the East River...don't see a bag of redi-mix in the pic though, so maybe it's not what it seems.

Clean39T
03-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Wife showed me this last night: http://www.moderntinyliving.com/koko2.html

She's in love. It's for sale. And it appears there are a few tiny-house rental lot locations out in the country around here...I may be going to N=2 to afford making this happen...

http://www.moderntinyliving.com/uploads/1/7/0/7/17070196/108394-018_1_orig.jpg

jh_on_the_cape
03-29-2018, 11:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIH4ElBo4l0

MattTuck
03-29-2018, 11:13 AM

I think that is just an empty sleeping bag.

William
03-29-2018, 11:21 AM
I think that is just an empty sleeping bag.

That's just what he wants you to believe! :no:

;);););)
Probably but that garbage bag charcoal gray color can be deceiving.

William

Clean39T
03-29-2018, 11:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIH4ElBo4l0

As a getaway and AirBnB rental, yes.

As a full-time option? Only if I have a 2nd one for bikes and a 3rd for home office/writing/art/yoga studio.

mtechnica
03-29-2018, 11:48 AM
You need a Toyota Land Cruiser with a rooftop tent. Add solar panels and a fridge inside. Any other suggestion is wrong.

C40_guy
03-29-2018, 11:57 AM
If you're looking to do a van/camper conversion, it is almost always cheaper to buy someone else's finished (or semi finished) project.

Keep looking until you find a good one, both mechanically and build quality.

Functionality and weight are the two big issues... Weight will reduce driveability, interior room (every 1/4" counts) and handling. Some of these rigs are already top heavy, and if you add a bunch of 3/4" plywood up high, the first sharp swerve on the highway might put scratches in your roof...

gdw
03-29-2018, 12:05 PM
Those rooftop tents are great until you need to exit one in the middle of the night when you're half asleep or still under the influence. One of our neighbors college aged kids did the 3:00am free fall a few days ago and won't be able to enjoy his spring break this year.