PDA

View Full Version : 'Cross shoe recommendations

Lewis Moon
09-27-2017, 09:02 AM
So...My old Dominator 3s are reaching end of life stage. There's only so much shoe goo I can slather....

I'm in the market for a new set of CX(ish) shoes and I have a weird feet. I have monster high arches, so much so that I have to extend the top strap out to the end on the Doms and the pad is still not centered. I also have:
Narrow heels
a hooked last (high arches) - my feet look like bananas
a narrow(ish) forefoot

Sidis have been my go-to shoe since the '80s but the latest versions are starting to look like the build/material quality is no longer there. Had a set of Eagles and really disliked them. I have a set of Genius 5s and they're OK, but the fit is also getting a lot wider/taller in the toe box.
What I like:
A stiff sole - carbon is good but see below
Replaceable lugs - at least the heel
If there's a carbon sole, I want it covered and not out where it can get shredded
I like a rubber pad on the sole under the arch for when I flub clips
Durable upper
At least 2 points where the shoe can be tightened - the one Boa thing or laces don't work on my feet.

Shoes I've tried and didn't like:
Giro Empires - toe box is WAY too roomy and the lace fit was schite
Sidi Eagles - no scuff pad under the arch, lower build quality, lugs chipped easily, bling-ugly
Bont - too much exposed carbon to shred on rocks, don't come up high enough on my foot...felt like I was going to pull out

My mom always said I had an expensive foot...

sparky33
09-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Specialized S-Works mtb shoe. Why spend less. Also, it ticks a lot of your boxes. I like them a lot. The sole is stiff carbon with rubber scuff plates...narrow heel, screw toe lugs, durable, variable insoles available.

Lewis Moon
09-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Specialized S-Works mtb shoe. Why spend less. Also, it ticks a lot of your boxes. I like them a lot. The sole is stiff carbon with rubber scuff plates...narrow heel, screw toe lugs, durable, variable insoles available.

That looks like it has a pretty straight last. A straight last forces my foot to twist and puts a LOT of pressure on the little toe.

FlashUNC
09-27-2017, 10:50 AM
I've had good luck with Lakes for their cross shoes.

chiasticon
09-27-2017, 10:58 AM
I don't have a recommendation for you as, luckily, I'm not picky with shoes so I don't have experience with these issues.

I was just going to say that, since you're purchasing new shoes anyway, you may also want to consider what pedals you run. some pedals play nicer with certain shoes than others.

Lewis Moon
09-27-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't have a recommendation for you as, luckily, I'm not picky with shoes so I don't have experience with these issues.

I was just going to say that, since you're purchasing new shoes anyway, you may also want to consider what pedals you run. some pedals play nicer with certain shoes than others.

Funny story there...I'm such a Shimanophobe that I've always run Crank Brothers Candies on my 'cross bikes. I also had a set of Ritchey SPDs that were horrid so I never even thought of buying SPDs again. I finally broke down and bought a set of Shim XTR SPDs and... I love them. Really love them.
Go figure.

d_douglas
09-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Well, I have just switched from all Specialized to a mix of Giro and my old Spec as they die. I use and really like Terraduros though I have a pretty conventional foot shape. I tried on a pair of Giro Factors once that fit me like a dream - snug, low volume and sleek. Maybe a different Giro might fit?

As for Specialized, I've worn them for years, but my current road shoes (Sworks) are kinda too spacious in the upper - they feel sloppy. Theyre the right length, so I can only attest to the fact that they are too deep inside the shoe. Otherwise, these tend to fit very well and are of good quality. My other MTB shoes are Specialized Rimes (I don't recommend them for CX - theyre too flexy) and are dying, but very practical offroad shoes.
\

Now I am visualizing banana feet - weird.

GOTHBROOKS
09-27-2017, 11:52 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5661/22304370892_1f3136fae8_c.jpg
maybe not bananas, but mine are 48s.
+1 on the sworks mtb shoes. but the stock BOA is garbage. the replaceable ones specialized sells have metal ratchets instead of plastic ones. i also swapped out the insoles, but whatever.
yeah the exposed carbon sole is gonna get chewed up from rocks and whatever else when youre not on the bike, but its an xc shoe so thats gonna happen regardless. frames arent the only thing that can patina.

Gummee
09-27-2017, 12:18 PM
I've had good luck with Lakes for their cross shoes.

I like em so much, I bought this year's pair to go with my last year's pair.

The new new Supercross has 2 boas and moldable heels.

...oh... and dead kangaroos make great shoes! Probably the most comfortable shoes I've worn in 30 years of riding

M

superbowlpats
09-27-2017, 03:34 PM
I have these Shimanos and I really like them a lot

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/cb-images/34494_main-01.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=500&resizew=500

morrisericd
09-27-2017, 04:47 PM
I second the Shimano XC 90's. Nice stiff shoe with a narrow heel and lots of room up front. They come in wide or regular (I have the wide - crazy skier toes). I used them in about 20 cross races last year and they were great.

gforce
09-27-2017, 06:12 PM
I wasn't sure if I was going to like the boa closure either on Sidis but the Drako has been a fantastic cx shoe. No need to worry about the shoe quality - still feels like a typical very solid high end Sidi.

scoobydrew
09-27-2017, 06:43 PM
+2 for the Shimano XC90. These run pretty narrow. Very stiff carbon sole. A portion of it is exposed, so you may want to run Crank Brother shields if you run something like Time ATACs.