PDA

View Full Version : Soem Details about the B sample

Lifelover
09-13-2006, 04:07 PM
This is from Floyd's blog so I guess it could be mostly spin but it is fairly interesting.

If true he is sure to get off weather he is guilty or not.

"Landis Attorney Submits Motion for Dismissal to USADA
September 11th, 2006
Landis Camp Makes Public Specific Detail of Errors and Inaccuracies in Testing of Landis ‘A’ and ‘B’ Sample

Los Angeles, September 11, 2006 – Howard Jacobs, attorney for 2006 Tour de France Champion Floyd Landis, today submitted a Motion for dismissal to the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) Independent Anti-Doping Review Board. The specifics of the submission support Landis’ long-held innocence and argue that tests conducted on the athlete’s ‘A’ and ‘B’ urine sample from Stage 17 of the Tour de France do not meet the established World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) criteria for a positive doping offense.

Made without access to complete documentation and other test results, today’s Motion is by no means an exhaustive recitation of all defenses. Nonetheless, Jacobs’ request for dismissal still provides the scientific and legal basis to vindicate Landis.

“I did not take testosterone or any other performance enhancing substance and I’m very happy that the science is confirming my innocence. I was relieved, but not surprised, when I learned that scientific experts found problems with the test,” said Landis. “I look forward to restoring my good name so that I can focus on my hip replacement and begin training for next season when I want to return to France to defend my title.”

Based largely on the carbon isotope ratio (CIR) – the test that has been characterized by the anti-doping authorities and the UCI as a fool-proof method for detecting the presence of exogenous testosterone – the Motion focuses on three issues with the testing protocol and results provided by the LNDD lab at Chatenay-Malabry. In summary, these three arguments demonstrate that the CIR test conducted on Landis’ stage 17 urine samples does not show a positive result:

• WADA’s own protocols require that all testosterone metabolite differentials provide clear evidence of testosterone usage to find an athlete positive. Given the data, three of the four testosterone metabolite differentials tested in Landis’ sample are reported as negative considering the margin of error.

• The only testosterone metabolite that can even be argued as positive under the WADA Positivity Criteria resulted from an unknown laboratory error and is not the result of testosterone usage.

• The one metabolite that has been identified by WADA-accredited laboratories as the best, and longest-term indicator, of exogenous testosterone usage was reported as negative in Landis’ urine samples.

In addition to the analysis of the testing documentation, Jacobs argues “the single [positive] T/E [Testosterone/Epitestosterone] analysis in this case is replete with fundamental, gross errors.” These errors include markedly inconsistent testosterone and epitestosterone levels from testing on the ‘A’ sample as well as multiple mismatched sample code numbers that do not belong to Landis. In the case of the mismatched sample identification codes, the alleged confirmed T/E data on the ‘B’ sample is from a sample number that was not assigned to Landis. The differences in sample identification numbers also point to issues in the chain of custody of the Landis sample.

“Clinical laboratories making these types of gross errors could easily find themselves answering to a wrongful death lawsuit, and often do,” said Jacobs. “At a minimum, those laboratory errors must go to the defense of the athlete and must result in a finding that the T/E results are wholly unreliable.”

The ADRB is expected to make its recommendations to USADA within a week of Jacobs’ submission to the review panel."

Skrawny
09-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Hmmmm......

It would be sad if this was all faulty lab work.

His comeback was one of greatest in cycling, but he has already been vilified.

-s

Serpico
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
***--I can't even understand that

is this the chewbacca defense?

is Hamilton's chimeric twin involved somehow?

imo, Landis has officially entered the bullsh*t zone

saab2000
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM

[/B]

Nice. I rarely laugh at what I see here, but that did it.

Lifelover
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
***--I can't even understand that

is Hamilton's chimeric twin involved somehow?

imo, Landis has officially entered the bullsh*t zone

Putting aside guilt or innocence for a minute, the accusation made by his defense is pretty significant. In many industries where safety is at a premium (be it Aviation or nuc power) these kind of chain of custody or protocol issues can be of incredible importance.

Considering that the results from this lab could ruin a riders career they should be held to a fairly high standard. Inconsistent results and botch sample code numbers are certainly grounds for dismissal even under the lower burden of proof requirements for something like this.

Of course this could just as well be an attempt by him and the team to mislead the public. We may never know.

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2006, 08:57 PM
. . . that Landis' lawyer is going to present what he feels makes Floyd look best. But if the assertion about the mismatched sample numbers is proven to be true, then as I'm understanding it, the sample's weren't even Floyd's . . .

VERY interesting stuff . . .

BBD

Louis
09-13-2006, 10:47 PM
This is from Floyd's blog so I guess it could be mostly spin but it is fairly interesting.

Given that this is from the Landis blog I don't see how it has any credibility whatsoever. Would you expect them to post anything that incriminated Floyd? Of course not. In a forum like that they can say whatever they want. Only in a court of law, or other such venue with presumably unbiased arbiters and expert witnesses for and against can this be worked out.

Who on the forum is going to give D!ck Pound equal time for the "prosecution's" side of the story?

Louis