PDA

View Full Version : just in case...DA STI 9 speed lever glitch

eddief
04-18-2004, 07:06 PM
I purchased a pair of DA sti 9 spd double levers from a guy on Road Bike Review. These were supposedly new. I installed them and the left, front shifter worked as normal. I installed the right, rear lever and attempted to adjust the rear derailleur. The prob I ran into was that no matter how I adjusted it, the chain would not stay on the largest cog. All other cogs and rings worked fine. After trying all I knew, including changing out the chain, I finally thought that maybe it was the "new" shifter. I put the old DA triple rear lever back on and it worked perfectly. The possibility that the shift lever was the problem was my last resort and it worked. I am working on the guy who sold them to me to make good. But don't leave this stone left unturned if you are wrenching and run into a similar problem.

David Kirk
04-18-2004, 07:48 PM
It wouldn't be the first time that the lube inside the lever dried up and made the lever act funny. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked just fine after being lubed.

Dave

eddief
04-18-2004, 07:58 PM
I did not try everything Dave Kirk knew. You mean a squirt of WD or Boeshield might have fixed the darn thing?

David Kirk
04-18-2004, 08:44 PM
yep

Sandy
04-18-2004, 08:58 PM

Dude
04-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Have you tried the limit screws on the der? That wouldn't explain why the old lever works and the new one doesn't but maybe give that a shot. Also, what Dave Kirk said, try squirting some lube in there.

Good luck.

Sandy
04-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Eddie,

Mechanically, I know very little about your specific problem, except that Shimano had a major problem with 9 speed Dura-Ace shifters. There was a thread, maybe 2 on the old forum about it. I think, if my old brain remembers correctly, that one was something about Problems with Japanese Parts, or something like that.

I spoke to Shimano, here in the States, and after a few calls I was told that there was a definite problem. I have had at least 5 such rear shifters, and 2 front shifters, all covered under warranty. I was guaranteed, on one occasion, by Shimano, that the replacement shifter would be inspected to be sure that it worked properly. That shifter lasted 2 weeks before it stopped working correctly.

My guess is that you will have continual trouble with that shifter, unless Mr. Kirk's remedy does the trick. I would bet that it won't, but betting against Mr. Kirk is certainly NOT the smartest thing to do.

Some Shimano owners would wait until close to the time the warranty would end and come to their local shop and get a new one.

Still Seen Shifting Shimano's Sorry Shifters STill Serotta Somebody

eddief
04-18-2004, 09:24 PM
I definitely adjusted the limit screws with the old lever. I adjusted it so when I pulled on the cable by hand, I could yank the d right into the spokes. No matter how loose the big cog screw was adusted, the shifter would not shift the chain to the largest cog.

The bummer about trying to make the malfunctioning one work, is all the time it takes to undo stuff to try the experiment. I'll say may mantra and try next weekend.

The non-working shifter was purchased from a guy who is a team mechanic. I have the feeling this one is one that malfunctioned and he failed to have it fixed under warranty. We'll see.

Too Tall
04-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Dunno if this helps....Kirk is probably right. I've been using an electronic parts cleaner to "fix" all my old junked out Shimano shifters. Everyone came back to life...as in spot on. Go figure. If you bomX out with this guy and are stuck with it...send it to me and I'll zap it in my waytooexpensive parts cleaner and go from there?

eddief
04-19-2004, 06:31 PM
I lubed the "malfunctioning" lever, reinstalled and it worked like a champ. Another f-up that might have been the issue, is that I may have not had the gear cable end fully seated in the nylon receptical in the shifter the first time around. Who knows? Now it works. Thanks for your assistance, all of you, as always.

David Kirk
04-19-2004, 06:33 PM
good deal......I love the cheap and easy fix.

Dave

Sandy
04-19-2004, 07:18 PM
To think that both Dave Kirk and Too Tall could be wrong is not too smart.

Stupid Serotta Sandy