PDA

View Full Version : TheBlackBibs (.com) aka Starlight

adampaiva
09-26-2017, 12:23 PM
https://www.theblackbibs.com

Anyone tried or seen any reviews of these? The prices are too good to be true and even if they aren't the best in the world, I could use a cheap alternative to the brands I've been using.

Made by Starlight which I think makes team kit for clubs, so maybe some people have used that stuff?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59825b3615d5dbefdf11ac2d/59a4af5b8419c2c20eb43e6b/59a5c92f49fc2bb49c50e607/1504037173266/bibsflat.jpg

Namesake Bibs

These bibs are why you are here. Simple and beyond functional. Unlabelled. Unbranded. And the most affordable on the market.

Our namesake bibs are some of the most comfortable on the market. How did we do it? We used our experience from 8 years in the custom cycling apparel market. Our bibs have won national and world championships. Our pattern provides the perfect amount of compression for all day riding. We've spent hours in the saddle testing them. These are absolutely the best bibs anywhere near the price range, and they ship to you from right here in the USA.

Now the technical stuff:

Dyed black high compression lycra with 1.5cm folded leg opening.
Dual density Coolmax chamois.
Mesh bib straps.

+ they have non-bib shorts and basic solid color jerseys

AngryScientist
09-26-2017, 12:36 PM
interesting.

for $40 bucks i'm going to give a pair of bibs a shot. i'll report back when i get them!

adampaiva
09-26-2017, 12:39 PM
a willing guinea pig! Look forward to hearing your feedback.

AngryScientist
09-26-2017, 12:41 PM
a willing guinea pig! Look forward to hearing your feedback.

yea, i ride the trainer a bunch in the winter, and generally speaking - i can wear any bibs for a couple of hours - so this is a cheap experiment. maybe they will be fantastic.

eBAUMANN
09-26-2017, 01:05 PM
used starlight for kit a few years back...the kit was pretty good quality but their customer service/quality control...not so great. this was maybe 4-5 years back though so maybe/hopefully thats changed. for $40, worth a shot.

sandyrs
09-26-2017, 01:30 PM
eagerly awaiting your feedback nick. i'd definitely cop a couple pair as MTB liner / backup bibs. hope they're comfortable!

eBAUMANN
09-26-2017, 02:10 PM
biggest red flag for me based on that pic is the leg gripper...or lack there-of. there really is no comparison for me, a longer gripper is way way comfier.

Bwana
09-26-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm in for being a guinea pig. I tossed in a jersey as well. I have a couple Performance bibs I got on sale for close to that price that I like, so maybe these will be as good/better.

BobC
09-26-2017, 03:56 PM
used starlight for kit a few years back...the kit was pretty good quality but their customer service/quality control...not so great. this was maybe 4-5 years back though so maybe/hopefully thats changed. for $40, worth a shot.

I'll second this. We used them as well for our team kit. Surprisingly good quality & fit; they do seem to wear out more quickly than others I have worn.

Of note the first batch of shorts/bibs had the writing upside down on the legs (not an issue for the bibs in discussion).

David Tollefson
09-26-2017, 04:31 PM
biggest red flag for me based on that pic is the leg gripper...or lack there-of. there really is no comparison for me, a longer gripper is way way comfier.

Yeah, that caught my eye as well. I'm a shorts guy (hate bibs), so I may be game to try them for $30...

KarlC
09-26-2017, 05:06 PM
biggest red flag for me based on that pic is the leg gripper...or lack there-of. There really is no comparison for me, a longer gripper is way way comfier.

+1

93KgBike
09-26-2017, 05:10 PM
interesting.

For $40 bucks i'm going to give a pair of bibs a shot. I'll report back when i get them!

+1

AngryScientist
09-27-2017, 12:31 PM
just got an email. my order shipped already; that's a good sign.

AJosiahK
09-27-2017, 12:42 PM
sizing is a bit confusing to my tired and hungry brain... particularly the inches when laid flat... wth

if I went with what I am waist wise, approx a 31.. id be a XS.... I've never worn anything in an XS

what y'all think? I could use a new set of bibs

Steve in SLO
09-27-2017, 04:51 PM
sizing is a bit confusing to my tired and hungry brain... particularly the inches when laid flat... wth

if I went with what I am waist wise, approx a 31.. id be a XS.... I've never worn anything in an XS

what y'all think? I could use a new set of bibs

Measure your favorite bibs laying flat, compare to chart, pick size. Easy.
FWIW, the large matched my large Rapha Classic bibs pretty closely, but with 1+ inch more of inseam than the Raphas.

bitpuddle
09-27-2017, 10:35 PM
I ordered a few kits; I’ve had good luck with Starlight in the past.

bitpuddle
09-27-2017, 10:38 PM

That doesn’t sound correct. For a race fit, I assume you’d need a medium.

AngryScientist
09-29-2017, 07:56 PM
bibs and jersey arrived today. quality looks to be very good, i'll try them on and go for a ride hopefully this weekend. stay tuned.

Bwana
09-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Got mine today and went straight out in them for 24 quick, wet miles.

Bibs are great, no leg grippers or anything but the fit was good. I like the chamois. Shoulder straps are not stretchy, which made it a little difficult getting them on, and I can imagine a restroom break mid-ride could be tough.
Definitely puts these on the top of the "value" list with the Performance bibs when they're on sale.

Jersey is also nice. Sleeves were a little looser than I would have liked from a jersey advertised as "race fit", but the body and shoulders were better. I still wouldn't call it a "race fit", but I do not think I could go down a size.
I'm not sure if it was because both the bibs and jersey were brand new or because it was wet/rainy out, but I did notice the jersey riding up my back more than normal. I had to pull it down more than a couple times. For $30 though, definitely better than the no-name Chinese jerseys I recently bought. (Joshua Tree)

Will definitely buy more bibs, I have a couple pair to replace that are probably done after this season.

Will probably not buy another jersey. I feel like another $20 for a brand name is worth it here.

93KgBike
10-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Ordered bib and jersey, which arrived super-fast. I did 75 miles in them.

The bibs actually fit and feel great, in my normal size lg. It's true that there is a different quality of tailoring and material, but these bibs deliver 85-90% of the quality that my better bibs do at a tenth of the price. They do a great job wicking, which is most of what I ask for. The chamois is workmanlike, but comfortable. I would race these bibs.

The jersey is a true race-fit, but it is not high end construction. The jersey uses a single wicking textile throughout, and has about half the panels as my better jerseys. The same could be said of the bibs.

My overall satisfaction with materials and construction is very high (on par or better than Performance). My overall satisfaction with the purchase is maximum. Great price for useable bibs.

adampaiva
10-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Cool! Thanks for the feedback from those willing to give it a try. I finally got around to ordering some for myself - 1 x bibs, 1 x shorts, 1 x jersey for $100 is not bad at all.

LGrider
10-03-2017, 07:25 PM
I have a 45 minute commute each way and have settled on Pearl Izumi Quest as reasonably comfortable budget shorts. Any idea how these compare, the price is pretty close. I also get a pretty good discount on Sugoi that would bring their lower end models into this price range. Has anyone ridden all 3?

MesiJezi
12-08-2017, 09:47 AM
How are your bibs holding up, guinea pigs? What do you think after putting some miles on them?

MaraudingWalrus
12-08-2017, 02:58 PM
I got too fat for my other bibs that I love, don't have any great ones right now, and don't want to spend serious money hoping I'll be less fat once I start riding more again...might have to try some

BobO
12-08-2017, 03:07 PM
How are your bibs holding up, guinea pigs? What do you think after putting some miles on them?

They're not as comfortable on the longest rides as some of the high end bibs are, but, they're not bad either. No bunching or chafing issues with the chamois.

The durability has been excellent, well, except when the dog eats them. :p

MesiJezi
12-08-2017, 04:34 PM
The durability has been excellent, well, except when the dog eats them. :p

Haha! I don't have a dog so I never thought about that... dirty bibs would be the ultimate find for a pooch. :D

AngryScientist
12-08-2017, 04:48 PM
after multiple rides in them, i consider them to be an excellent value bib. pad is a good shape for me and they fit well. seem plenty durable. i am a fan.

BobO
12-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Haha! I don't have a dog so I never thought about that... dirty bibs would be the ultimate find for a pooch. :D

Yup, keep the laundry room door closed. :p

after multiple rides in them, i consider them to be an excellent value bib. pad is a good shape for me and they fit well. seem plenty durable. i am a fan.

Well said, excellent value.

93KgBike
12-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Ditto to that.

The bibs pad is comfortable after 6-700 miles, with no pilling of the fleece. My plan is to ride them on the trainer over the winter. Will update in March?

The jersey fits my shoulders, but is short-waisted on me. Not really using anymore. No regrets.

Best part? I feel SO frugal! Oh no real color fade from washing so far.

one60
12-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Not certain but perhaps you'll get a coupon for your referrals?

Geekonbike
12-13-2017, 06:51 AM
I'm a little confused with what kind of leg gripper they've got. I've seen a few photos where it is the old school thin band that tends to make legs look like I'm wearing a sausage casing.

Other photos look like they're the newer style 2" or greater. Anyone have a Real life photo of what they're shipping now?

Likes2ridefar
01-28-2018, 09:16 AM
Searching the forum for cheap bibs I found these. Ordering three pairs for my commute.

Just wanted to add that they have a free jersey included for the next few weeks.

$125 shipped for three bibs and race cut jerseys...that is less than one of my typical assos shorts.

I put paceline forum for the referral...

Quilts
01-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Just to add another positive review for anyone on the fence, I've taken these out on a few rides now and I have no complaints. Very comfortable and the durability is excellent so far. Great value for the price and I think these will be my go to bibs in the future.

fairwent
01-28-2018, 05:51 PM
With the positive reviews, the very reasonable prices and a free jersey right now - hard to pass up. If they are half as good as people say I may have found a new brand of bibs to use. We'll see.

MaraudingWalrus
01-28-2018, 08:52 PM
I've had a couple rides on mine. I like them just fine. Ordered another especially w/ the free jersey situation....

andrewsuzuki
01-30-2018, 07:54 PM
Wait, do their male models have leg hair? Haven't seen that before.

Macadamia
01-30-2018, 08:27 PM
Bibs/jersey fits a bit tight, or I'm too generous with my height/weight.

Also jersey sleeves are really big, I have pretty big arms for a cyclist and they're still loose.

adampaiva
01-30-2018, 10:51 PM
I think I was the OP on this thread. I'm pretty pleased with the bibs and the padded shorts I bought. I have a drawer full of rapha/giro/pearl izumi bibs and won't hesitate to grab these.
The jersey I bought I doubt I will ever wear. But oh well, still a great deal for the bibs even with an extra $30 on the jersey.

Geekonbike
01-31-2018, 12:22 PM
I bought a pair for indoor riding. They fit well enough...a little snug but no sausage looking legs. The chamois is a little narrow/thin. I usually run Assos or Twin Six shorts and they're in the ballpark of the Twin Six Race shorts as far as quality goes. Assos is the gold standard for me but I can't shell out that kind of cash all the time.

For 40 bucks can't be beat.

Only gripe I have is I'd like them to have a leg gripper band like the Twin Six Race Shorts so they stay in place better and look a little more modern.

MaraudingWalrus
01-31-2018, 05:44 PM
Worth saying that I already received the second set i ordered Sunday night. It's Wednesday. Quick shipping!

chriscap
01-31-2018, 08:49 PM
Worth saying that I already received the second set i ordered Sunday night. It's Wednesday. Quick shipping!

Same here - I was very impressed by that.

Just got off a trainer ride with them and I'm happy with the purchase. Chamois was comfortable and the lycra seems like it will last. Lack of leg grippers is a bummer, but I didn't experience any issues because of it. I think they're well worth $40 and I'll probably be buying more.

The free jersey was a nice bonus. I wasn't expecting much given that they were samples, but I wound up with a pretty handsome design.

MaraudingWalrus
02-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Huh. I got in the mail another jersey from them. Apparently somebody (I'm guessing in my local club) told the guys I told them about them. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180202/5ee78458e9bd99da96cc7c4fd82dcc2d.jpg

Likes2ridefar
02-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Got my three bibs and free jerseys yesterday. The bibs fit great and look like nice quality. I’m confident they’ll work for my commute, and most likely fine for anything really. I prefer the assos bib cut with a lower front covering less belly, but these will do.

Each jersey is different. one is an aero pro with better sleeves that lack the elastic band the other two have that feel too snug even on my not so muscular skinny arms... They all are the race or pro fit, and remind me of the cheaper stuff I was given when racing. compared to the Rapha pro level I typically wear they are nowhere near the same level of comfort. I definitely won’t use these very often if at all.

kramnnim
02-25-2018, 04:36 PM
I got a pair of the shorts. (not bibs)

Wore them for about 3 hours. Pad isn't anything special. Legs are too long, down to my knees. Waist is smaller than most other Smalls.

If I got mediums for a bigger waist, I fear the legs would be past my knees.

Wouldn't buy again because of the odd fit.

smokersteve
06-21-2018, 05:41 PM
These bibs did not work for me. Chafed on both but cheeks.
Pain in the ass to return and their customer service is not so great

kramnnim
06-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Haven't worn mine since my last post from February, life is too short for uncomfortable shorts. :butt:

Likes2ridefar
06-21-2018, 08:23 PM
I wear them nearly every week commuting...no different than my assos bibs in comfort.

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Bumping this to get some recent feedback as I'm thinking of grabbing a pair of the Black Bibs Plus Short Inseam (https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/bibs-shortin). I do not have short legs, but the trend in bibs today seems to be to go nearly all the way to the knee and I don't dig that. I also don't care for as much compression as most makers are using. I'm 6' and 179-182 lbs. I am not built like a pro cyclist or swimmer at all. The days of drinking beer with impunity as it relates to my waistline are gone. I still drink beer.

Despite the fact that it says XL is for a waist of 38"-41" and I wear 34" waist in jeans and chinos, that's where I'm leaning.

papa bless
07-18-2019, 09:12 AM
I'm 6'2, 195lb with a 33-34 inch waist, and I feel like I should have gotten a large instead of the XL. I got the standard Black Bibs. They fit, but I like my bibs snug, and I tend to only use these when everything else is dirty.

If I were to do it again, I would get a large, and I would definitely get the Plus model with the "Italian silicon-infused power band." The standard model tends to slide down your leg, and with such a small seam it really makes the bibs look cheap.

kramnnim
07-18-2019, 11:36 AM
I think I wore mine twice since my last post. Still uncomfortable

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2019, 11:53 AM

It might be more helpful if you provided a bit more information about the model and size you bought, your own size and what bib models and size you do have good luck with.

Likes2ridefar
07-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Love mine still for the price.commute nearly every day in them.durability is excellent thus far.

I'm wearing medium and 6 feet tall and skinny with long legs.

kramnnim
07-18-2019, 01:58 PM
It might be more helpful if you provided a bit more information about the model and size you bought, your own size and what bib models and size you do have good luck with.

Previous page.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2320219&postcount=44

Alaska Mike
07-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Funny, I just saw this thread after all these years.

Starlight is based in Roanoke, VA, so when I went home to visit the folks a couple years ago, saw a few people on group rides wearing the kit, and swung by the shop, I was impressed enough to order a few custom sets of team kit and some TT skin suits.

The initial sets of bibs weren't that great, to be honest. The chamois was okay (I had upgraded it), and has been mentioned, the mesh parts of the bib were not at all elastic and chafed a bit initially. The jerseys were decent enough for the price, but not the best fit I'd experienced. The skin suits were better than I expected for the price and did the job admirably. Since I only wear the skin suits a couple times a year, I can't speak much about durability. We stayed with Sugoi as our lit supplier.

A couple years later I had them make up a few sets of bibs that were essentially black with an elastic gripper with the team logo on it. While the mesh was smoother, they still didn't give much. However, the overall construction of the bibs was much better. I wear them for pretty much everything but racing, so I can save the more expensive Sugoi bibs.

Just recently I ordered three pairs of the basic black bibs. From the looks of it, they're pretty much on par with the second generation bibs I got. For the price, I can't complain.

Stratton and the rest of the Starlight/Cardinal guys have been very responsive to me, and I like supporting a shop like his, as they support the local cycling community.

Lewis Moon
02-28-2020, 07:28 AM
I bought the Black Bibs Plus tall and...I now own a second set. I'm 6'4", 200 and the larges fit perfectly. Keep an eye on the sizing when you order. This is the first set of bibs I've owned that didn't feel like short shorts. I'd rather have flat seams and a bit stouter fabric, but for the money, these are VERY hard to beat.
The chamois is also one of the more comfortable that I have ridden. It may be a bit thick for some, but it protects in all the right places. If I had a century to ride tomorrow, I'd pick these. Hands down.
I'll probably grab a third set for insurance soon.

cgolvin
02-28-2020, 01:01 PM
Believe they're one of Phil's sponsors now, but I don't see a referral code from him.
Need one more set for the trainer, think I'll have to try a pair -- thanks for the reviews.

73Bronco
02-28-2020, 02:59 PM
I recently gave them a shot and I'm pretty happy. For the money, I think you can't go wrong. For those that say they're as good a bibs that cost 3x or 4x as much, lets just say I wish I couldn't tell the difference, it would save me some money.

If you expect top tier quality, you'll be disappointed. If you want great bang for your buck at $40, they're a winner.

R3awak3n
06-19-2020, 06:19 AM
I was in the market for some cargo bibs. I was going to get my usual, rapha, but recently rapha stuff has not been super durable (jersey have been great, just bibs) and I read a few reviews of the cargo bigs that I was not a fan of (durability wise for the core). Its not just rapha, I have a pair of pas normal studios bibs that have less than 1000 miles and the stitching on the chamois is also coming out. I think I am just hard on my bibs and whatever construction they do now. I have some older rapha bibs with no problems what so ever, assos bibs are fine (I just don't find them as comfortable but that pair of shorts has a TON of miles) and twin six also are fine but then again, don't really like the cut.

Anyone try the new black bibs adventure cargo ultimate bibs? $85, can't beat the price and I have read a ton about black bibs and people seem to love them. They now have a nicer version which has leg grippers and then a even nicer version that has nicer chamois and leg grippers. I just bought some but wondering what the consensus is.

mastaliu
06-19-2020, 07:17 AM
I was in the market for some cargo bibs. I was going to get my usual, rapha, but recently rapha stuff has not been super durable (jersey have been great, just bibs) and I read a few reviews of the cargo bigs that I was not a fan of (durability wise for the core). Its not just rapha, I have a pair of pas normal studios bibs that have less than 1000 miles and the stitching on the chamois is also coming out. I think I am just hard on my bibs and whatever construction they do now. I have some older rapha bibs with no problems what so ever, assos bibs are fine (I just don't find them as comfortable but that pair of shorts has a TON of miles) and twin six also are fine but then again, don't really like the cut.

Anyone try the new black bibs adventure cargo ultimate bibs? $85, can't beat the price and I have read a ton about black bibs and people seem to love them. They now have a nicer version which has leg grippers and then a even nicer version that has nicer chamois and leg grippers. I just bought some but wondering what the consensus is.

I have the first or earlier version of the Blackbibs cargo bibs and they are great for the cost and so far, durable. This new version has a different chamois and better grippers. I agree with the Rapha durability issue. I have sent back two pairs for the stitching coming out. At least their customer service is good.

R3awak3n
06-19-2020, 07:30 AM
I have the first or earlier version of the Blackbibs cargo bibs and they are great for the cost and so far, durable. This new version has a different chamois and better grippers. I agree with the Rapha durability issue. I have sent back two pairs for the stitching coming out. At least their customer service is good.

yes CS is impeccable BUT, they always tell me we can't repair and then send me a gift card so I will buy another pair that always has the same destiny unfortunately.

fmradio516
06-19-2020, 12:04 PM
anyone have any insight on sizing? It seems whenever i follow a size chart, it always comes back to bite me, so i size up at least one, sometimes two. From what ive found with bike stuff, nothing is too big for me, somehow. i guess i have weird proportions.

Likes2ridefar
06-19-2020, 01:10 PM
anyone have any insight on sizing? It seems whenever i follow a size chart, it always comes back to bite me, so i size up at least one, sometimes two. From what ive found with bike stuff, nothing is too big for me, somehow. i guess i have weird proportions.

I wear large in assos and medium in the black bibs. Similar fit.

I’ve had mine for a few years now I think and they are still in good condition. I’ve noticed some chunky things in the chamois in spots so I guess the foam is deteriorating inside. The stitching is still perfect on all three pairs.

I do notice now that I’m cranking out a lot more power and riding longer they are not as comfortable as my assos bibs..they don’t move as well with my body at high cadence and the chamois isn’t as comfortable in hot temps after hours on the bike.

For commuting or less than two or so hours I think they are perfectly fine still

ColonelJLloyd
06-19-2020, 01:29 PM

Same here. I'm 6' and 183#. I do not like crazy compression. Assos t5 Mille XLG are an excellent fit for me. Several weeks ago I ordered the Black Bibs Plus in XL and they were way too tight everywhere for my taste and the straps felt like they would be too short even on the bike. The thigh band was super tight and I don't have big legs.

Regarding customer service, I never received a reply to the 2 emails I sent regarding sizing before ordering (two separate inquiries months apart) nor the email I sent regarding the return. But, my refund was processed promptly once they received the bibs.

For comparison, I paid $72 shipped for the Plus bibs from theblackbibs.com and $110/ea shipped for two pair of t5 Mille bibs from swissiconic.com. The Assos bibs win hands down in quality and value, in my opinion.

fmradio516
06-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Same here. I'm 6' and 183#. I do not like crazy compression. Assos t5 Mille XLG are an excellent fit for me. Several weeks ago I ordered the Black Bibs Plus in XL and they were way too tight everywhere for my taste and the straps felt like they would be too short even on the bike. The thigh band was super tight and I don't have big legs.

Regarding customer service, I never received a reply to the 2 emails I sent regarding sizing before ordering (two separate inquiries months apart) nor the email I sent regarding the return. But, my refund was processed promptly once they received the bibs.

For comparison, I paid $72 shipped for the Plus bibs from theblackbibs.com and $110/ea shipped for two pair of t5 Mille bibs from swissiconic.com. The Assos bibs win hands down in quality and value, in my opinion.

Thanks that was useful. Checking out swissiconic now but I have no clue about anything assos. Do they make a tall version like blackbibs?

ColonelJLloyd
06-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Thanks that was useful. Checking out swissiconic now but I have no clue about anything assos. Do they make a tall version like blackbibs?

I don't think so. I've heard people say that some Assos models (maybe all) are on the shorter side. For me, I would not want my tan line any closer to my knee than it is.

Different models have racier cuts/fit so be aware of that. I actually wanted the ones with the "kuku penthouse" or whatever it is they call it, but I don't think that's a feature of the XLG t5 Mille I'm wearing. Still, they are much roomier than the XL Black Bibs were. There was simply no room in those.

fmradio516
06-19-2020, 02:39 PM
I don't think so. I've heard people say that some Assos models (maybe all) are on the shorter side. For me, I would not want my tan line any closer to my knee than it is.

Different models have racier cuts/fit so be aware of that. I actually wanted the ones with the "kuku penthouse" or whatever it is they call it, but I don't think that's a feature of the XLG t5 Mille I'm wearing. Still, they are much roomier than the XL Black Bibs were. There was simply no room in those.

Thanks! I'll probably need to just go with the tall blackbibs. Some bibs are just too short on me as im 6'3" allll legs.

R3awak3n
06-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Thanks! I'll probably need to just go with the tall blackbibs. Some bibs are just too short on me as im 6'3" allll legs.

my assos for example are short on me, not a fan

Likes2ridefar
06-19-2020, 02:54 PM
Since you don’t know assos, I’m 6’ and about 155 to 165. The legs are long on the black inc. size medium. I have long inseam/legs.

R3awak3n
06-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Got my bibs. Damn that was fast, I ordered on Friday I think and got them Monday.

1 short ride in them, I am liking them so far. They don't feel as premium as some of the rapha bibs but they certainly don't feel like crappy cheap bibs. The leg elastics are super nice and grippy. Pad seems nice, its a thicker harder pad so we will see how I like it. Pockets are nice, wish they were a bit bigger but they will do. For $90 shipped, I am very happy though, might get a second pair.

54ny77
06-27-2020, 04:02 PM
I just did a mellow 40-miler today with a pair of new blackbibs plus and these things are great. Chamois very comfortable, nice and padded. Lycra feels like good quality, a reasonable weight and fits like a charm for me in a size L (i'm 5'9").

$65 for a nice pair of everyday bib shorts, can't go wrong with that.

Thanks to all for the heads up on this brand via this thread, would have never known about it otherwise.

Likes2ridefar
06-27-2020, 05:16 PM
Has anyone tried the regular version to compare to the plus? I almost got them but ended up getting some Voler black bibs to try next. Twice the $...but still $100 less than the Assos I typically use for longer rides.

V1Rotate
06-27-2020, 05:44 PM
Has anyone tried the regular version to compare to the plus? I almost got them but ended up getting some Voler black bibs to try next. Twice the $...but still $100 less than the Assos I typically use for longer rides.

The significant difference between the regular ($40) version and the Plus version is the leg opening. The regular version has no gripper material and has a folded and sewn seam whereas the plus version has more of a gripper-style fabric at the leg opening and is seamless at that opening as well. They are significantly more comfortable in that regard and in my opinion well worth the extra $25. For $65 you get a high quality bib short that's on par IMO with significantly more expensive bibs. I regularly use them on rides in the 5+ hour territory with no issues whatsoever

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 05:17 PM
has anyone got both the plus version and the adventure?

I just got the adventure and I like em but want to pick another pair up and want to maybe try the plus to see how they compare, they have a different chamois and no extra pockets (which I don't need on most bibs, nice to have a pair with them but don't need every pair to have leg and rear pockets).

54ny77
06-28-2020, 05:25 PM
there was a post on here or maybe another thread that said the phrase "adult diaper" in describing the chamois. that was really funny, it's stuck in my head each time i think of how comfortable this chamois is (and it is thicker than the pads in all my other shorts). :p

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 05:42 PM
there was a post on here or maybe another thread that said the phrase "adult diaper" in describing the chamois. that was really funny, it's stuck in my head each time i think of how comfortable this chamois is (and it is thicker than the pads in all my other shorts). :p

ahah, yes it is thicker than some other bibs I have, I don't mind it (at least after 1 ride I liked it). I do hope that it softens up a little bit because its a bit stiff.

kramnnim
06-28-2020, 09:58 PM
This thread continues to baffle me. Think I wore mine once since I last posted and was again annoyed.

flying
06-28-2020, 10:05 PM
This thread continues to baffle me. Think I wore mine once since I last posted and was again annoyed.

Should not be surprised what works for one is not great for another.
I find it often after trying a kit recommendation

Every body is different ;)

R3awak3n
06-28-2020, 10:26 PM
exactly.

I have a bunch of rapha bibs and there is a pair I just absolutely hate, they are the most uncomfortable things ever. On another hand, I have a few pairs of raphas that are amazing.

Likes2ridefar
06-29-2020, 06:35 AM
exactly.

I have a bunch of rapha bibs and there is a pair I just absolutely hate, they are the most uncomfortable things ever. On another hand, I have a few pairs of raphas that are amazing.

I think Rapha bibs are awful. I got the pro bibs for free when racing and thankfully it was only a one week stage race. Never used them after.

Their jerseys though are my favorite...

R3awak3n
06-29-2020, 06:50 AM
I think Rapha bibs are awful. I got the pro bibs for free when racing and thankfully it was only a one week stage race. Never used them after.

Their jerseys though are my favorite...

you are not the first to say you don't like em, that said they just have so many that you might like a different line as they are all pretty different in terms of material and pad.

Likes2ridefar
06-29-2020, 08:15 PM
....deleted since the Voler black actually turned out to be quite nice...

Alaska Mike
06-29-2020, 08:39 PM
I use the basic Black Bibs mostly on the trainer, but I have taken them on the road a bit. They work well enough for me, but I won't lie and say there aren't more comfortable bibs I opt for.

R3awak3n
06-30-2020, 06:41 PM
did a nice second ride today on the adventure bibs and they are approved. Going to get a second pair, was considering the plus but for $20 might as well get something I know I like with the "nicer" pad. The side pockets came in handy too, great place to store trash :banana:

edit - well, was gonna get another pair but they are now sold out

ColonelJLloyd
06-30-2020, 07:50 PM
edit - well, was gonna get another pair but they are now sold out

You're a better influencer than you realized.

R3awak3n
06-30-2020, 08:04 PM
You're a better influencer than you realized.

You are 2 for 2 today for cracking me up

54ny77
07-04-2020, 06:35 PM
I picked up a pair of the regular shorts for $40 with the sewn leg gripper and they work great too. Did a 3.5 hour ride in 'em today, no complaints whatsoever. I think it's the same short as the plus other than the leg gripper. Either way, I'm hooked on this brand. The fit and chamois work great for me. Thanks again to the OP and other for mentioning this company.

R3awak3n
07-04-2020, 06:36 PM
I picked up a pair of the regular shorts for $40 with the sewn leg gripper and they work great too. Did a 3.5 hour ride in 'em today, no complaints whatsoever. I think it's the same short as the plus other than the leg gripper. Either way, I'm hooked on this brand. The fit and chamois work great for me. Thanks again to the OP and other for mentioning this company.

I hit them up and they said they should get more stock next week or the next. I am definitely in for another pair.

fmradio516
07-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Went on my first ride with the tall bibs today. Felt good but theyre definitely tight. I am around 200lbs 6'3" and the XXL's are definitely borderline too tight for me. But i wore em, so im stuck with em. Theyre nice. The chamois is definitely thick!

R3awak3n
07-05-2020, 06:24 AM
Went on my first ride with the tall bibs today. Felt good but theyre definitely tight. I am around 200lbs 6'3" and the XXL's are definitely borderline too tight for me. But i wore em, so im stuck with em. Theyre nice. The chamois is definitely thick!

Weird, I have 40lbs on you and the XXLs are the perfect fit on my adventure pair

fmradio516
07-05-2020, 08:13 AM
Weird, I have 40lbs on you and the XXLs are the perfect fit on my adventure pair

Could be my proportions. i have super wide hips and a nice sized spare tire even at this weight, so thats probably it.

AngryScientist
07-22-2020, 04:49 PM
just got a pair of the adventure bibs in. they do look nice and well made, but man, this has to be the thickest pad of any bibs i own. i generally prefer a thinner pad, so we'll see how this goes. hoping for a ride tomorrow.

54ny77
07-22-2020, 08:36 PM
Embrace the Lycra-Wrapped Adult Diaper (tm).

Yeah if you're small guy, you might not like the pad. I did about 5 hour ride in my pair of "plus" model shorts last weekend, and I'm now a huge fan. But I'm around 180.

"Thanks 'Oops I Crapped my Pants', now I have freedom to ride my bike!"

just got a pair of the adventure bibs in. they do look nice and well made, but man, this has to be the thickest pad of any bibs i own. i generally prefer a thinner pad, so we'll see how this goes. hoping for a ride tomorrow.

R3awak3n
07-23-2020, 05:07 AM

Haha I thought the same thing but I just got a second pair because its damn comfortable.

AngryScientist
07-29-2020, 01:32 PM

so i've got a few rides in on these.

they are comfortable, but definitely not my favorite. the pad is just too damned thick for me. the quality seems good, and the fit is nice, but i would not buy another pair simply because of the thickness of the pad. i prefer a much thinner one.

rnhood
07-29-2020, 03:11 PM
What is it about this particular pad, is it that it bunches up in your nether regions putting additional pressure where you don't want it, or does it just feel weird being thick? I generally like a thicker pad...up to a limit after which it gets very uncomfortable in the nether regions due to perceived pressure.

fmradio516
07-29-2020, 07:01 PM
What is it about this particular pad, is it that it bunches up in your nether regions putting additional pressure where you don't want it, or does it just feel weird being thick? I generally like a thicker pad...up to a limit after which it gets very uncomfortable in the nether regions due to perceived pressure.

It just feels very bulky and its tough to get comfortable.

54ny77
07-29-2020, 08:12 PM
It's a diaper wrapped in lycra!

Frankly I'm surprised that there isn't a manufacturer (at least that I'm aware of) that has a high tech impact memory foam pad.

I used to ride motorcycles and the foam products in there were amazing. Especially the aerostitch gear. The foam pad you could literally punch as hard as possible and the energy just dissipates. No harm to the hand. That sound ideal for pelvis cushion.

R3awak3n
07-29-2020, 08:15 PM
At first I did not like the thickness but now I do. I also like that its very flat the pad.

TimS
07-30-2020, 10:36 AM
Best bibs for the money no doubt! Jerseys are VERY small

pdxharth
07-30-2020, 10:55 AM
Would love to know more about these, especially the pad. Do others besides AngryScientist think it is too think? Is it too think on the bike or just when you are off the bike? How does it feel for long rides?

Would somebody post a photo of this pad?