PDA

View Full Version : Any good riding in El Cajon, CA?

Saxon
09-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Gonna be down there for business, and was wondering if it was worth taking a bike. Any good riding around those parts?

woodworker
09-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Look at kitchen creek / mt. Laguna. Great ride if weather is right. 4-5k of climbing, most w/o cars. 15-20 minute drive. Sure there are others, but that'd be near the top of my list given your location.

Ken Robb
09-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Since El Cajon is a suburb of San Diego just 10 miles or so east of the coast all the comments in our archives would be pertinent to your question. What kind of riding do you like? Will you have a car?

Saxon
09-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Since El Cajon is a suburb of San Diego just 10 miles or so east of the coast all the comments in our archives would be pertinent to your question. What kind of riding do you like? Will you have a car?

Yep, I'll have a car. I like everything from big climbs to nice bike paths, everything really. I'd be most interested in something that's unique to the area.

Abelicoln
09-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Look up the Great Western Loop. You can leave right from El Cajon. Lot of climbing but nice to get out of the city.

ptourkin
09-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Look up the Great Western Loop. You can leave right from El Cajon. Lot of climbing but nice to get out of the city.

This, with many variations. The standard is 40 miles with 3,700 feet of climbing. About 3 hours of riding time at a conversational pace, 2.5 if you do some work. Wonderful descents. If you can do 4 hours/57 miles I recommend the Viejas Grade option for a 4 mile dirt climb thrown in.

Feel free to message me - I have over 5,000 miles on these routes in this calendar year alone.

Ken Robb
09-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Yep, I'll have a car. I like everything from big climbs to nice bike paths, everything really. I'd be most interested in something that's unique to the area.
Drive to the base of Palomar Mtn. Park at the base of South Grade Rd. Climb South Grade. Have a meal or refreshments at Mother's near the top. Then ride down East Grade to the highway leading west back to your car. You can extend your ride by heading up to the observatory from Mother's. It's a nice ride with even less traffic but it is an up/back. Up South/down East gives you a challenging climb first followed by a mostly downhill ride with sweeping turns to finish. If you do it the other way the climb is easier but you will need HEAVY braking for tight curves going down South Grade Rd.

Saxon
09-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

jimcav
09-26-2017, 11:03 AM
Drive to the base of Palomar Mtn. Park at the base of South Grade Rd. Climb South Grade. Have a meal or refreshments at Mother's near the top. Then ride down East Grade to the highway leading west back to your car. You can extend your ride by heading up to the observatory from Mother's. It's a nice ride with even less traffic but it is an up/back. Up South/down East gives you a challenging climb first followed by a mostly downhill ride with sweeping turns to finish. If you do it the other way the climb is easier but you will need HEAVY braking for tight curves going down South Grade Rd.

only time I did palomar was up/down via the south grade, and the down was scary as everything from motorhomes and to motorcycles were cutting corners at times and of course my speed was pushing me to the center at times--coupled with some sandy stuff on the pavement at some corners it was a bit scary--the climb was great though--but I like climbing.

ptourkin
09-26-2017, 11:21 AM
only time I did palomar was up/down via the south grade, and the down was scary as everything from motorhomes and to motorcycles were cutting corners at times and of course my speed was pushing me to the center at times--coupled with some sandy stuff on the pavement at some corners it was a bit scary--the climb was great though--but I like climbing.

The motorcycles on the weekends have taken out some cyclists this year, including some of my friends.

I'm wondering when the last time you rode this was Ken Robb? After you descend East Grade, it is a pretty decent climb back up to your car at the taco shop. South Grade has been paved in the last couple years and it's a long non-technical descent with spots that you have to pedal. East Grade is traditionally followed up with Cole Grade or Mesa Grande, which give you a chance to have Julian Pie in Santa Ysabel.

Either way, it's a long way from El Cajon. Laguna is much closer.

Gummee
09-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Is the Stadium Ride still going? If so, that'd be a good mid-week midday-ish ride

I spent most of my time North County Coastal, so IDK much about down south specifically

M

Ken Robb
09-26-2017, 01:17 PM
The motorcycles on the weekends have taken out some cyclists this year, including some of my friends.

I'm wondering when the last time you rode this was Ken Robb? After you descend East Grade, it is a pretty decent climb back up to your car at the taco shop. South Grade has been paved in the last couple years and it's a long non-technical descent with spots that you have to pedal. East Grade is traditionally followed up with Cole Grade or Mesa Grande, which give you a chance to have Julian Pie in Santa Ysabel.

Either way, it's a long way from El Cajon. Laguna is much closer.
I wasn't thinking of going as far as the taco shop. It sounds to me like you are confusing the grades because South Grade has many 180 degree turns where entry speed can easily exceed 45mph and I consider that technical and requiring heavy braking. The East grade is more rolling and there are certainly places requiring pedaling. The only taco shop I remember is in Pauma Valley quite a bit farther west than the parking area at the base of South Grade Rd. I'm old so maybe I'm confused too. :banana:

The ride up Sunrise Highway is good too, Heck, I like it better because the climb isn't as steep. The OP asked for our most memorable and since Palomar seems to be the single most bragged-about course I could think of I tossed it out there. Wasn't it part of the Tour of California a few years ago?

ptourkin
09-26-2017, 03:07 PM
I wasn't thinking of going as far as the taco shop. It sounds to me like you are confusing the grades because South Grade has many 180 degree turns where entry speed can easily exceed 45mph and I consider that technical and requiring heavy braking. The East grade is more rolling and there are certainly places requiring pedaling. The only taco shop I remember is in Pauma Valley quite a bit farther west than the parking area at the base of South Grade Rd. I'm old so maybe I'm confused too. :banana:

The ride up Sunrise Highway is good too, Heck, I like it better because the climb isn't as steep. The OP asked for our most memorable and since Palomar seems to be the single most bragged-about course I could think of I tossed it out there. Wasn't it part of the Tour of California a few years ago?

Not confused. I climb it often. South Grade is steeper, yes and more twisty. The descent is fun and technical. If you climb South and descend East, you will have to climb to get back to your car if you park anywhere near South. The taco shop is the traditional beginning of the climb and is about as low as you can park although there is a little bit of parking at the Y if you want to make the climb as short as possible.

Horner's KOM on Palomar, which he did in training, is one of the ones that Gaimon has not been able to snipe yet.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6881666

Either way, Palomar is nowhere near El Cajon and there is great climbing there.

Ken Robb
09-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Not confused. I climb it often. South Grade is steeper, yes and more twisty. The descent is fun and technical. If you climb South and descend East, you will have to climb to get back to your car if you park anywhere near South. The taco shop is the traditional beginning of the climb and is about as low as you can park although there is a little bit of parking at the Y if you want to make the climb as short as possible.

Horner's KOM on Palomar, which he did in training, is one of the ones that Gaimon has not been able to snipe yet.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6881666

Either way, Palomar is nowhere near El Cajon and there is great climbing there.

I only rode a bicycle up South Grade once and I knew going down would not be fun for me. OTOH I liked going down East Grade because it's more flowing and I was comfortable carrying more speed due to open sight lines. OTOH, I have done them both many times on motorcycles but I was not one of the crazies. Since my big crash 3 years ago I haven't done much riding at all so I only remember the Jiliberto's Taco Shop way past the vee. Is there one right by the vee lot?

Gummee
09-27-2017, 12:34 PM
If you have time to drive and don't want to ride, Montezuma Grade aka The Glass Elevator down to Borrego Springs is a great ride and/or drive. ...but... it's out there.

Go thru Borrego Springs and out the other side to Banner Grade and back in thru Julian or go further to the Sunrise Hwy and back in thru Alpine.

If Dan still has his bike shop open in Borrego Springs, stop by and tell him his old mortgage guy says 'hi!'

M

Ken Robb
10-06-2017, 10:30 AM
I can't be the only guy wanting to know what you did and how much fun you had on this trip. :-)