PDA

View Full Version : Interbike happened?

Mikej
09-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Wow, what was the cool thing this year?

Pelican
09-25-2017, 12:45 PM
I just got back from Interbike and there was no standout thing at the show. The crowds appeared to be half of what they were last year. No major bike brands had a big booth. I think Pivot, Cervelo and Oakley were the biggest ones for mtb/road/accessories.

On a personal note, it looked like ebikes were 1/4 of the show from being a tiny niche just a few years ago.

fiamme red
09-25-2017, 12:50 PM
I like the Masi Gran Criterium Classico:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/interbike-2017-live-tech-coverage-day-three/ (scroll about 1/3 down)

galgal
09-25-2017, 01:41 PM
new line of Time pedals: Xpros

Yes, that Masi is nice!

coachboyd
09-25-2017, 02:08 PM
The coolest thing was that when walking to the show every morning, the line for coffee was 4 to 5 people long, not 30 to 35!

oldpotatoe
09-25-2017, 02:12 PM
I just got back from Interbike and there was no standout thing at the show. The crowds appeared to be half of what they were last year. No major bike brands had a big booth. I think Pivot, Cervelo and Oakley were the biggest ones for mtb/road/accessories.

On a personal note, it looked like ebikes were 1/4 of the show from being a tiny niche just a few years ago.

To Reno next year. All the big boys left a while ago. I think good for a lot of small manufacturers but by and large they are consumer direct. So, for Interbike to survive, I think more like NAHBS or uber Veloswap...as it is now, manufacturers for industry people, it'll not survive, imho.

eBAUMANN
09-25-2017, 02:28 PM
To Reno next year. All the big boys left a while ago. I think good for a lot of small manufacturers but by and large they are consumer direct. So, for Interbike to survive, I think more like NAHBS or uber Veloswap...as it is now, manufacturers for industry people, it'll not survive, imho.

But does that even matter?

The whole trade-show concept feels really REALLY outdated these days, isn't it just a big networking event? FOR the industry?
Do consumers actually go to these things?

fiamme red
09-25-2017, 02:32 PM
The GeoOrbital wheel sounds intriguing: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/tech/the-coolest-new-cycling-tech-at-interbike.

mrvnmrvn
09-25-2017, 03:38 PM
I've seen a lot of posts about those tubolito tubes... and ebikes

false_Aest
09-25-2017, 03:50 PM
If I had to guess the show was 30% less than last year (50% of 2 years ago).

Less big brands + less people meant that I really got to spend time with brand I was interested in + reps that I needed to talk to.

Landyachtz had the most impressive item -- a heat moldable saddle.
Wilier had nice paint.
Boyd Cycling just rules.
TexMarket will get my business next year for sure.
Tern has a rad e-cargo bike.
Bianchi's booth was 1/4 of what it was last year.
The China + Taiwan sections were very small.

e-bikes design needs to continue to evolve but there is a really ****ing good reason why they're so popular. Any store that doesn't embrace them had better come up with how they're going to start specializing in something that sets them apart from the only growing segment of the market.

Good to know Yamaha will still offer OEM ebike systems.
Bafang is offering what they offer.
Bosch + Shimano make rad ****.

There are too many helmet companies.
I'm not 100% sure why White Industries + Paul was there but it was nice to see them.

Saw a $300 "smart" lock. It's rad and promising. I'd spec it on a custom commuter.

The info sessions, seminars, lectures, etc need to be amped up. I attended A LOT and felt like the most of the speakers were ill prepared or have never given a though to packaging information in the best possible way. STOP ****ING RAMBLING!

MarGUritas are horrible. Less beer + nice schwag this year. But I did buy a stainless shot glass.

CrossVegas was less crowded. Stoked to see Richard Sachs represented. I liked the women's race more than the men's.

Found a restaurant named Pho Kim Long (say it out loud... its also not pronounced foe).
----

Everyone I spoke to is excited for for Reno because they all hate Vegas and they'd like to be able to sell products via Outdoor Demo.

eBAUMANN
09-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Any store that doesn't embrace them had better come up with how they're going to start specializing in something that sets them apart from the only growing segment of the market.

Something that sets them apart from ebikes...uh, hows about ACTUAL-bikes?

ebikes are more moped than bicycle, and should be marketed/regulated and sold as such...they are motorized vehicles, plain and simple.

they are a great commuting tool (like a moped would be)...and thats about it.

jmoore
09-25-2017, 04:11 PM
I would like to be there next year. Booth's are expensive for small guys like me. But if I can swing it, would be great to be there.

Mark McM
09-25-2017, 04:18 PM
ebikes are more moped than bicycle, and should be marketed/regulated and sold as such...they are motorized vehicles, plain and simple.

They actually have a lot in common with Harley Davidson motorcycles. For the first 10 years or so of production, Harley Davidson motorcycles came with pedals and cranks.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/content/dam/h-d/images/museum/explore/h-d-history/en_US/1908-1.jpg

https://www.harley-davidson.com/content/dam/h-d/images/museum/explore/h-d-history/en_US/1909-1.jpg

Some may argue that e-bikes are not motorcycles, which they may not be. But they aren't bicycles, either.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2017, 04:19 PM

The whole trade-show concept feels really REALLY outdated these days, isn't it just a big networking event? FOR the industry?

Consumers flock to NAHBS as do they to Veloswap.

GRAVELBIKE
09-25-2017, 05:39 PM
You can see my Interbike photos here: https://www.instagram.com/gravelbikedotcom/

As with previous years, I attended the show on my dime. This was the first time in a long time that I found myself questioning whether it was worth it or not. Sure, there were some interesting products, but with one-third fewer exhibitors (my estimate), they were few and far between.

GRAVELBIKE
09-25-2017, 05:43 PM

I walked away from many booths because the staff was too busy talking to their industry bros and/or they couldn't be bothered to look up from their damn phones.

metrotuned
09-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Feedback is correct, as an exhibitor for past 3 years, I think the audience saw a 1/3 loss. Day 3 was wrapping up at 12 noon (2 pm official close). White Industries (https://www.instagram.com/p/BZU5Pevlpoa/?taken-by=racingmix), scene: Thomson Masterpiece seatpost in carbon with carbon cradle. Who would've thought?

sales guy
09-25-2017, 05:47 PM
I have been there as an exhibitor many many times including last year. This year, nope. And a big part of it was the organizers still think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. And they have been losing people for years cause they won't listen to the people paying the bills. I had one of the guys chew me out online for problems i had that THEY created!

And yes, trade shows can work. Eurobike has a waiting list. Many booths are piggy backed cause it's the only way to get in the show. Just look at nahbs. Its gonna be huge next year. I am planning the same size or bigger next year and i'm happy to do it cause they have listened to the exhibitor and taken the advice. They don't just push you away. thats the key.

GRAVELBIKE
09-25-2017, 05:54 PM
The media preview event on Tuesday night was a real mixed bag. A few interesting products, but completely amateurish presentation. Probably a better deal for the organizers (30 companies at $1.5K/ea) than the press and exhibitors.

false_Aest
09-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Jeff Jones does Interbike on the cheap.

He flew in with two bikes and walked around the show for 2 or 3 days. Every time I saw him he was talking to someone about the bikes. It works for him.

GRAVELBIKE
09-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Jeff Jones does Interbike on the cheap.

He flew in with two bikes and walked around the show for 2 or 3 days. Every time I saw him he was talking to someone about the bikes. It works for him.

Yeah, Jeff's method definitely works.

His new 2.5" rise Loop bar is going to make riders of frames with short head tubes very happy.

https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/21879134_345574499229473_1537962191662088192_n.jpg

mrvnmrvn
09-25-2017, 10:49 PM
^Wow, had to look up more pictures of that one. The bar looks pretty good but the fork is wild!

smontanaro
09-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Some may argue that e-bikes are not motorcycles, which they may not be. But they aren't bicycles, either.

In case anyone has doubts about that, it becomes immediately obvious when you're passed on a crowded MUP by one going about 25mph.

coachboyd
09-26-2017, 05:28 AM
I got passed by an e-bike climbing Paris Mountain the other day. Not just passed, the guy caught me, passed me, and was out of sight all withing 30 seconds. And he was wearing sneakers, khaki shorts and a T-shirt.

I scoured Strava to make sure he didn't upload that ride, ha ha!

But in all honesty, he probably wanted to go out and have fun descending the mountain (I still get a kick out of it). So he got a little boost on the way up and probably had a blast on the way down. It's another person riding a bike, so I am good with it. . . just don't take my KOMs!

smontanaro
09-26-2017, 05:57 AM
I got passed by an e-bike climbing Paris Mountain the other day. Not just passed, the guy caught me, passed me, and was out of sight all withing 30 seconds. And he was wearing sneakers, khaki shorts and a T-shirt.

I scoured Strava to make sure he didn't upload that ride, ha ha!

But in all honesty, he probably wanted to go out and have fun descending the mountain (I still get a kick out of it). So he got a little boost on the way up and probably had a blast on the way down. It's another person riding a bike, so I am good with it. . . just don't take my KOMs!Roger that. There is a time and place for these new conveyances. I've been passed on the road by them. No problem there. As a society we're still trying to figure out if it's appropriate for them to go everywhere a fully human-powered bike can go today. Ultimately, that will be for the politicians to decide.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

93KgBike
09-26-2017, 10:26 AM

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/interbike-2017-live-tech-coverage-day-three/ (scroll about 1/3 down)

Agreed. That is just badass.

Did the bottom just fall out of the used steel market?

GRAVELBIKE
09-26-2017, 11:51 AM
Agreed. That is just badass.

I really wish that Masi would have spec'd more modern brake calipers on the GC. Not wild about those cranks, either.

mhespenheide
09-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Not at an MSRP of $2700, it didn't.

metrotuned
09-28-2017, 01:26 AM
Selective Coverage of Interbike 2017 at WoS: https://www.facebook.com/pg/wos510/photos/?tab=album&album_id=921825334572962

merckx
09-28-2017, 07:05 AM

They made a mess of the fork rake, eh?

bicipunk
09-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Roger that. There is a time and place for these new conveyances. I've been passed on the road by them. No problem there. As a society we're still trying to figure out if it's appropriate for them to go everywhere a fully human-powered bike can go today. Ultimately, that will be for the politicians to decide.

There's a big debate going on in Colorado right now about what trails e-bikes can use, general use and/or mountain and so forth... I'm assuming that's going on everywhere?

Mark McM
09-28-2017, 10:10 AM
There's a big debate going on in Colorado right now about what trails e-bikes can use, general use and/or mountain and so forth... I'm assuming that's going on everywhere?

According to NEMBA (the New England Mountain Bike Association, the MTB advocacy group in New England), e-MTBs are regarded and managed as motorized vehicles here in New England, and therefore can only be used on trails that allow motorized recreation. They have published a state-by-state guidance on e-MTB usage:

http://www.nemba.org/news/where-can-electric-mountain-bikes-be-ridden-new-england