PDA

View Full Version : OT. Used SUVs for vacation home

sfscott
09-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Looking to finalize an offer on a second home in the Utah mountains.

If we get the house,need to start thinking about a car to leave at the house. We are in CA and would likely be flying to the house on most occasions but certainly would be making trips back and forth to ferry stuff or for misc reasons.

My regular cars are leased new and are German, so I was figuring a used Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon would fit the bill. Holds a lot of gear, 4WD for snow and ubiquitous enough that repair and maintenance is easy and there’s ample supply to find some good deals. Also figured that being ‘Mercian, they would be amply powered vs Japanese options.

Not having bought a used car like this, wondering if people have ideas on how old is too old, how many miles is too many, differences among them and other dos and donts. Car will be in a garage most of the time but it needs to be reliable, have usual creature comforts like good A/c, heated seats and satellite radio. Primary uses are getting around, shopping/hauling stuff, drive to ski areas and airport runs.

I’ve had bad luck with Ford in the past.

exapkib
09-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Plenty of people will have plenty of opinions on this one. My experience: a Toyota 4Runner of the right vintage is pretty hard to beat. What's the right vintage? Personal question, but I'd vote for a later 3rd generation 4Runner (pretty much 1999-2002).

dustyrider
09-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Don't over think it.
Assuming you're not going to want to work on it yourself. Go to some local mechanics once you get there and see if they know of a car that could fit your needs. Mechanics like working on cars they've worked on before and they always know someone thinking of selling. Single owners with low miles will cost more, but I'd rather pay up than later.

I'm a Ford and Subaru guy. They all have their quirks; I just appreciate their's more than the rest. Whereabouts in Utah are you looking?

gdw
09-24-2017, 05:32 PM
+1 for a 3rd generation 4Runner. They are very reliable low maintenance vehicles that can carry lots of gear over rough terrain.

Ralph
09-24-2017, 05:43 PM
When I buy new....I look for vehicles that depreciate less than others.

When I buy used.....I look for vehicles that HAVE depreciated more than others. Why pay almost new prices for a used vehicle?

I assume you want a larger 4WD Ute for lots of people and stuff. And that fuel economy not a big deal. Tahoe's are great. So is the GMC version. So are Ford Expeditions, and other large SUV vehicles. I think they are all reliable if in good condition. Ones with fewer gadgets probably have fewer small problems....especially a vehicle that is not used for long periods.
For your use....I might also be open to idea of a 4 door full size pickup....with a cap over back for stuff....if you see one used. But that might not fit in a garage. A friend of mine bought a Gasoline V8 Dodge Ram 4 WD with a cap on it used, couple years ago with about 55,000 on it. Has 155,000 trouble free miles on it now (He drags an Air Stream around behind it) . Same story for Ford and Chevy pickups. Very reliable. Getting vehicle new enough to have tire pressure monitors probably a good idea for vehicle sitting a lot.

Ken Robb
09-24-2017, 05:59 PM
My sister and her husband live in San Diego and have a second home at Lake Tahoe. They leave a 4 wd Suburban near the Reno Airport and use it as the OP would. I think it's one they drove for 150,000 miles here before putting into semi-retirement as a vacation vehicle. Now that their 7 "kids" are all adults they don't need such a big vehicle for everyday use but they got spoiled by all the room for people and "stuff".
As Ralph, pointed out, depreciation is the major expense for a newish vehicle so a 10 year-old Suburban will already have got about as cheap as it will get due to age. From this point on its price will be a result of its condition. For those of us used to the high cost of German parts GM parts will seem almost free. :)

HenryA
09-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Toyota Sequoia, about a 2005 (old body style) with maybe 100,000 miles or so.

xjoex
09-24-2017, 10:07 PM
I say buck the SUV trend! I leave a 69 beetle in my place in Moab. The bike is on the roof in case it breaks down.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/36520082001_e9a04b2aba_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XD9Y3e)P8180144 (https://flic.kr/p/XD9Y3e) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/indianpeaksjoe/), on Flickr

But in all seriousness, I'd buy a used Subaru Forester.

Cheers,
-Joe

carpediemracing
09-25-2017, 01:25 AM
budget?

ripvanrando
09-25-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm a Toyota Land Cruiser guy but given the requirement for Sat radio, one presumes you are looking at newer used vehicles.

The Toyota Sequoia is based off the Tundra and with 5.7L and about 400 hp, it has plenty of power and lots of interior space. Put the right tires and with 4WD, you are good to go almost anywhere.

54ny77
09-25-2017, 09:17 AM
How rural will you be? If the nearest mechanic is 20 miles away, and he only works on Chebbys and Fords, you don't want to be that guy who rolls up sporting Rapha gear with your carbon fiber rig tucked gently in the back of an X5, then riding home. :banana:

gdw
09-25-2017, 09:20 AM
How many wives and children will you be transporting?

54ny77
09-25-2017, 09:22 AM
;)

How many wives and children will you be transporting?

azrider
09-25-2017, 10:36 AM
I was in market for "weekend truck" to go exploring and escape AZ heat and I landed on a '97 Montero from recommendation of buddy who is long time gearhead type a guy.

Mitsu 6G74 is super reliable and easy engine to work on. Plus the Montero platform stock from factory makes it more capable than most others in its class. Not many know these came standard with 9.5" axles :eek: Add the fact it's got locking front/rear diff's and this thing literally goes anywhere. All for under $4500.

Happy hunting!

https://i.imgur.com/R8wndtE.png

tylercheung
09-25-2017, 10:46 AM
I am by no means an SUV but my early car choices were SUVs due to parental concerns re "safety":

Ford Explorer: 2002 vintage, underpowered, random glitches in braking(!), transmission, ignition

Toyota Highlander - 2006 (the vintage 2006 and before were built in Japan in Fukushima, the latest ones in Kentucky and are...different). Most reliable car I ever had!!! In 10 years, only things I had to spend on it were routine oil/fluids, tires, and a light bulb. No, it's not w/ razor sharp throttle responses like a BMW, but it made ample power for what it was worth (276 hp V-6), decent gas mileage for an SUV at the time (18 city/26 highway), and I could stuff 2, maybe 3 road bikes w/ the wheels off in the back! (Lexus had a version as well, i forget, RX300 or something like that, basically the same car w/ leather instead of cloth seats or something)

sparky33
09-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Plenty of people will have plenty of opinions on this one. My experience: a Toyota 4Runner of the right vintage is pretty hard to beat. What's the right vintage? Personal question, but I'd vote for a later 3rd generation 4Runner (pretty much 1999-2002).

Oh boy oh boy. I like this thread.
I'm on the hunt also, looking for a capable over-sand and backroad vehicle. I was fond of my Outback years ago, but an old 4Runner might be just the ticket for the particularly loose and deep stuff.
Also, my wife is a varsity-level community gardner and our family (my) car is taking an unnecessary beating for it.

old fat man
09-25-2017, 11:16 AM
budget?

Did you miss the part about first home in SF, second home in Park City, usually buys/leases new German cars? Budget probably is not the main factor in this decision.

Ralph
09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
I mentioned the larger SUV's because I know from experience when you get a bunch of folks with their luggage at an airport.....they don't fit well in a compact SUV.

I'm sure over time the poster will get his new place fixed up with his stuff, etc, so he won' need to haul a bunch of things back and forth, but also know from experience when a bunch of guests show up for a visit, maybe with their ski's and such....he will need a larger vehicle for air port duty. Been there.

robin3mj
09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Get the newest Toyota that fits in your budget and is the right size. Just check the frame for rust, think about replacing the ball joints if they haven't been, and look forward to selling it for what you paid for it in five years time.

Andy sti
09-25-2017, 11:47 AM
Get the newest Toyota that fits in your budget and is the right size. Just check the frame for rust, think about replacing the ball joints if they haven't been, and look forward to selling it for what you paid for it in five years time.

^ This. Either a 100 or 200 series Land Cruiser or a Sequoia. You cannot go wrong. Although, you will be more limited with space compared to Tahoe/Suburban.

choke
09-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Oh boy oh boy. I like this thread.
I'm on the hunt also, looking for a capable over-sand and backroad vehicle. I was fond of my Outback years ago, but an old 4Runner might be just the ticket for the particularly loose and deep stuff.
Also, my wife is a varsity-level community gardner and our family (my) car is taking an unnecessary beating for it.I'll throw another option out there, an Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport. The last version of the 1st generation (1995.5-97) was very reliable and had a lot of features that made it quite good for off road use....full frame, 2-sp transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle, etc. They are under the radar for most people so they can be found for a lot less money than a comparable condition vehicle from another brand.

azrider
09-25-2017, 01:10 PM
I'll throw another option out there, an Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport. The last version of the 1st generation (1995.5-97) was very reliable and had a lot of features that made it quite good for off road use....full frame, 2-sp transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle, etc. They are under the radar for most people so they can be found for a lot less money than a comparable condition vehicle from another brand.

Awwww.......Dana 44's are so cute!!! ;)

xnetter
09-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Sounds like a Toyota Highlander/Sequoia or a Honda Pilot might be what you're looking for. Will you need any kind of towing capacity?

KJ

Greenpea
09-25-2017, 06:27 PM
^ This. Either a 100 or 200 series Land Cruiser or a Sequoia. You cannot go wrong. Although, you will be more limited with space compared to Tahoe/Suburban.

This x1000.

I'm a Utah boy and a Land Cruiser guy. Ultra dependable, a fulltime 4wd system that just works, lots of space if you pull the 3rd row, still a good amount of space if you fold them up and out of the way.

You might want to look in Cali to buy just because they hold their value very well out here unless your leasing then whatevs

You can also look at the Lexus LX570/470. They will have more bells and electrical doodads but It's the same vehicle at the core.

The Lexus GX460/470 is based on the Land Cruiser Prado in other countries. Great Platform that shares a lot with the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser(going up in Value in Utah)

I did just get my wife into new 4runner and have been very pleased but it's not as refined as the Land cruisers I own.

HenryA
09-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Go ahead and pay a premium for a nice Sequoia. The one the doctor bought to travel to the summer house and garaged the rest of the time. Or go big and just get a new one.

Seriously, the previous model Tundra pick up and its sister suv Sequoia are outstanding vehicles. If you can find a cherry one buy it.

tedbarbeau
09-27-2017, 05:13 PM
4Runner all day every day.

I also agree with the poster above that you should look here in California for the car. Unlike Utah, a CA vehicle should be nearly, if not completely, rust free. (That said, if it has a tow package, make sure to ask if they ever used it to tow boats. If they did, the rear bumper will need a close look as it was probably dipped into the lake/ocean with some regularity.)

My wife and I bought a used 2005 4Runner Limited with all the bells and whistles with 120k miles for $15k back in 2011. I think it would probably still be worth ~$9k despite us adding another 60k miles to it.

Assuming 4Runners continue to be built to their high standards, I'll probably just roll into another used one in 4-5 years.

sfscott
09-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone,

For the poster who cited locations of houses and current cars as potential for budget insensitivity, I submit facts in evidence as to support the contrary.

I thought about rust, but I would assume that that could be determined when looking at cars and the reports on them. Buying in Utah seemed like a better idea because of not paying CA sales tax and having to register the car here. Then again, the used car market may be softer here in the bay area.

Haven't considered a Sequoia. Gravitated to the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon option since they seem ubiquitous and pretty dependable. We're looking at something on the larger side to be able to pick up people with kids and luggage and ski stuff.

No kids on our end, save a four-legged one.

JAGI410
09-27-2017, 05:32 PM
I’d stay focused on the suburban/Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade side of things. Easy to find, get parts for, and will make it through any winter. Find a decent used one, throw some mean snow tires on it and be done.

Sequoia/Land Cruiser/etc are fun too, but they do best under “enthusiast” ownership. Meaning someone that isn’t just going to gas it up and go. Let alone leave it parked for months on end.

Ken Robb
09-27-2017, 05:47 PM
I don't know if it's still true but years ago some car dealers would deliver cars to customers just over the border in Yuma, AZ. to avoid CA. sales tax. If it's still true you might still want to look for a car in CA.

William
09-27-2017, 06:22 PM
All you need is right here... Room, maneuverability, & capability. :cool:

William

54ny77
09-27-2017, 07:25 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/22/article-0-1AEFA439000005DC-874_634x349.jpg

tumbler
09-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Another vote for the 4Runner. I believe we have had 4 of them in the family and never had problems with any of them.

mtechnica
09-27-2017, 09:17 PM
land cruiser

mtechnica
09-27-2017, 09:19 PM
4runner is a good choice but a land cruiser is basically a better 4runner.

Andy sti
09-27-2017, 10:24 PM
All you need is right here... Room, maneuverability, & capability. :cool:

William

I want a Delica so badly but we can only register '92 and older. I always see a bunch of sweet ones touring around from BC where the Canadian import laws are different.

I guess I'll just stick with my 80 series, 100 series and Sprinter. :banana:

verticaldoug
09-28-2017, 06:06 AM
You don't want to go too old or too many miles, then reliability becomes an issue. You are going to your vacation home to relax, nothing worse than having to fix something while you are there. I hope you have found a reliable caretaker. In the winter when you fly in, you want it all plowed out and ready to go.

I'd vote for a Subaru Forester or a Jeep. I think these are big enough but not too big. The Tahoe, Escalade are all big boats. My daughter and her boyfriend have the Forester and it makes trips to Mammoth and Aspen all winter long.

I think it really depends on how much ski and snowboard stuff you need to haul around.

AngryScientist
09-28-2017, 06:19 AM
i vote for a tacoma with a cap on the back. you dont have kids so you dont need lots of rear seat room. an extended cab will leave plenty of room for the dog and a covered cap on the back will offer a large usable volume to put gear in.

look for a basic model with as few electronics as possible. it's my experience that a car that sits in a driveway more time than it actually drives have problems with electronics first. probably less of an issue in Utah than out here in the northeast, but still - the more basic, the better for a car to do what you want.

edit to add: the land crusiers, and other big SUVs of today are billed as more of luxury vehicles than uility vehicles. they do still have lots of power and offroad capability, but with leather seats, tons of electronics and gizmos inside. finding a tacoma that is more of a "utility vehicle" with basic controls and a simple drivetrain is easier than a similar 4-runner.

William
09-28-2017, 06:54 AM
I want a Delica so badly but we can only register '92 and older. I always see a bunch of sweet ones touring around from BC where the Canadian import laws are different.

I guess I'll just stick with my 80 series, 100 series and Sprinter. :banana:

While true, I've checked out some very solid low mile versions of these. Very capable, comfortable, and grunt diesel high milage engines.

I also agree with the LC option, my 60 went well north of 350,000 miles before I finally had to dive into the motor.

William

ohsnapitsed
09-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Sequoia/Land Cruiser/etc are fun too, but they do best under “enthusiast” ownership. Meaning someone that isn’t just going to gas it up and go. Let alone leave it parked for months on end.

Not necessarily. While I am personally an "enthusiast" the Land Cruisers were designed to be used and abused.

I had one that sat for almost 2 years while I was abroad and started right up when I was back in the states. Gas and go, or leaving parked for months at a time shouldn't be an issue.