PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Impossible foods burger /link added

alancw3
09-24-2017, 05:30 AM
was wondering if any of our california brethren have tried impossible burgers yet?
seems like not available yet here on east coast. if so can you please compare for me with a boca burger as i have eaten them for 20+ years and am trying to understand the difference. seems like the impossible burger is genetically treated to make taste more like meat. thanks for any input. can't wait for them to arrive here!

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/

Cicli
09-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Looks good.
I wouldnt eat one.

R3awak3n
09-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Its available in NYC. Just had 1 yesterday, actually 1 and a half. Its really good and crazy how close it is to a burger. I had not had a real burger in 15 years but when I bit into the impossible the taste of a real burger came rushing back in. Friend that went with me eats meat and not only liked the impossible also thought was the closest to meat veggie burger he had ever tastes, if someone did not tell him, he would have thought was a burger.

As far as your question, it tastes nothing lica a boca burger. It tastes and feels like a meat burger. Its chewie ina certain way, stays red in the middle and its juicy. They have a video on the site and say its all about the heme which they figured out how to produce from a plant through fermentation.

Everyone should really try it, its pretty cool.

Not sure how healthy it is as its probably very processed (but so are boca burgers and 99% of veggie burgers, as I call em, fake healthy burgers)

rnhood
09-24-2017, 07:33 AM
It does look good, but I wouldn't eat one either. I like my burgers with real meat.

cadence90
09-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Hmmm...count me among the nays as well.... (https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/08/31/how-the-impossible-burger-revealed-some-disturbing-fda-practices/#531ee5b06aa9)

makoti
09-24-2017, 11:20 AM
I love meat. I hate where it comes from. I do not have a palate that will allow me to go meatless, which I'd like to. I'm really hoping that this is successful & doesn't turn out to be bad for you. I'd love to be able to go into my grocery & buy something that looks, tastes, and has the mouthfeel of meat but isn't. Since I don't have one local, I'll have to let others be the testers.

seric
09-24-2017, 11:20 AM
I tried a bite of a friends, she's doesn't eat meat so I took her out for the experience. It tasted like a burger, not necessarily the best burger I've ever had, but a decent burger. I don't otherwise have an interest in it since I can have a real burger. I normally avoid wheat, soy, and potatoes outside of special occasions.

Edit: I just read cadence90's link, this type of statement pretty much triggers me to boycott: "it’s made entirely from natural and plant-based ingredients, and thus it is healthier"

jtakeda
09-24-2017, 11:38 AM
The impossible burger is good.

It has a certain juiciness that a boca burger does not have. I find most veggie burgers to be a little dry and lacking the in the texture department.

As to the health aspect, if we're going to compare the impossible burger to the large majority of restaurant hamburgers I would definitely argue it's healthier.

It's also healthier for the environment--look at the amount of resources it takes to raise cows for beef if you disagree.

I am a meat eater--I try to eat beef at most once a month as a result of the environmental impact beef has when compared to other meats (fish, chicken).

But the impossible burger is great--there are a lot of people who go vegetarian and it's one of those comfort foods that allow them to continue their new lifestyle.

gdw
09-24-2017, 11:58 AM
How much does an impossible burger cost at the restaurant? Is it roughly the same as a real thing?

jtakeda
09-24-2017, 12:20 PM
How much does an impossible burger cost at the restaurant? Is it roughly the same as a real thing?

I've only had it had kronnerburger in Oakland. Their normal burger is in the $14-18 range and I believe the impossible is $15.

alancw3
09-24-2017, 12:23 PM
thanks for all for the replys who have actually had an impossible burger. my feeling is that i will definitely try and hopefully better than a boca burger. i have to put a1 sauce and catsup on my boca burgers to add some taste.

seric
09-24-2017, 12:28 PM

It's $19 at Cockscomb in SF.

As to the health aspect, if we're going to compare the impossible burger to the large majority of restaurant hamburgers I would definitely argue it's healthier.

I'm open to opposing views here, why would you argue it's healthier? There are very few viewpoints I know of in modern nutrition which would view it's ingredients as healthy.

I also suspect what the majority of restaurant hamburgers would contain varies greatly by region, and what you consider a restaurant. It would be hard for me to find a sit down dining burger that wasn't at least grass fed in my area. By that point it quickly devolves to a conversation more about price points, no longer comparing apples to apples.

jtakeda
09-24-2017, 12:33 PM
It's $19 at Cockscomb in SF.

I'm open to opposing views here, why would you argue it's healthier? There are very few viewpoints I know of in modern nutrition which would view it's ingredients as healthy.

I also suspect what the majority of restaurant hamburgers would contain varies greatly by region, and what you consider a restaurant. It would be hard for me to find a sit down dining burger that wasn't at least grass fed in my area. By that point it quickly devolves to a conversation more about price points, no longer comparing apples to apples.

Agreed. I wasn't comparing the impossible burger to a top tier grass fed boutique burger.

I was more comparing the impossible burger to a standard steakhouse burger you can find at any burger spot in the USA.

jtakeda
09-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Agreed. I wasn't comparing the impossible burger to a top tier grass fed boutique burger.

I was more comparing the impossible burger to a standard steakhouse burger you can find at any burger spot in the USA.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but when you're comparing a very specific and fairly technologically advanced product to something that has been relatively unchanged for decades there is a lot of variation in results.

jtakeda
09-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Double

joosttx
09-24-2017, 12:50 PM
FUnny these guys just called me for a job a last week. They are gearing up to grow big time in 2018.

R3awak3n
09-24-2017, 01:25 PM
and they will grow if they bring more products to the market and make those products easier to adquire.

I paid $14 for the burger at bare burger. Expensive, maybe but its NYC and their other burgers are around that price so it wasnt crazy.

As far as health, who knows how healthy it is. I certainly wouldn't eat it a lot just like you don't eat burgers alot. Keep it as a special thing and its probably not that bad. But people should try it, having one aint gonna killyou

ojingoh
09-24-2017, 02:01 PM
FUnny these guys just called me for a job a last week. They are gearing up to grow big time in 2018.

Take the job. A lot of excitement in the field and they are the market leader.

joosttx
09-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Take the job. A lot of excitement in the field and they are the market leader.

FDA is very interested in them too which is a joke, IMHO. Regardless, I am enjoying my beta lifestyle.

Frankwurst
09-24-2017, 05:10 PM
I have a bunch of venison burger in my freezer and within the next couple of hours I'm gonna fire up the grill and cook a couple of rib eye steaks so chances of me eating fake meat are slim and none and slim just left town. :beer:

xnetter
09-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Wish I could get stuff like this in Canada, along with the Beyond Burger and whatnot. We have a company based out of Vancouver I believe called Gardein that does a decent job with chicken sticks, pork bites, etc. USA is a lot more cutting edge than up here when it comes to vegan/veg mock meats. Some of the vegan BBQ dishes I had from a couple Portland trucks were tasty as heck.

I used to be a chef and ate every meat known to man. I still crave it. Nonetheless my mind frame has changed and so much research into the state of things killed eating meat for me for good. Based on ethical and environmental aspects, I will never go back unless God himself swoops down and makes everything Right.

KJ

dustyrider
09-24-2017, 06:01 PM
I have a bunch of venison burger in my freezer and within the next couple of hours I'm gonna fire up the grill and cook a couple of rib eye steaks so chances of me eating fake meat are slim and none and slim just left town. :beer:

You just made my mouth water.:)

One doesn't have to be the other! I like burgers of all kinds. Don't like eating out all that much thanks to working in too many restaurants in my youth.

Can one purchase these impossible burgers for home consumption?

Frankwurst
09-24-2017, 07:13 PM
You just made my mouth water.:)

One doesn't have to be the other! I like burgers of all kinds. Don't like eating out all that much thanks to working in too many restaurants in my youth.

Can one purchase these impossible burgers for home consumption?

If you are referring to venison burger, not that I know of. Seems to me like it involves enduring freezing temperatures for long periods of time and dealing with a dead animal if things go your way but the end result for me is worth the effort. I like venison. If I didn't I damn sure wouldn't go through what I need to to get it. :beer:

dustyrider
09-24-2017, 07:17 PM
If you are referring to venison burger, not that I know of. Seems to me like it involves enduring freezing temperatures for long periods of time and dealing with a dead animal if things go your way but the end result for me is worth the effort. I like venison. If I didn't I damn sure wouldn't go through what I need to to get it. :beer:

Oh I was talking about the impossible burgers. I've been on my fair share of hunts! Should've made a separate post. Hope those rib eyes were tasty.

Frankwurst
09-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Oh I was talking about the impossible burgers. I've been on my fair share of hunts! Should've made a separate post. Hope those rib eyes were tasty.

Haven't eaten them yet. Going on the grill in about 15 minutes with some fresh corn on the cob.:beer:

William
09-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Sodium content is not as bad as I was expecting.

William

Duende
09-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Had one at Umami Burger in SF a few months back. Have to say it was VERY good, but then I learned about the GMO soy.

Umami also uses a bit of sardine oil on the grill pan to give it more texture.

I'm all for finding a beef substitute.. Hopefully one of these days. Not sure if this is it though.

happycampyer
09-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Had one at Umami Burger in SF a few months back. Have to say it was VERY good, but then I learned about the GMO soy.

Umami also uses a bit of sardine oil on the grill pan to give it more texture.

I'm all for finding a beef substitute.. Hopefully one of these days. Not sure if this is it though.Soylent green. Makes a great burger.

benb
09-25-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm really interested in trying these even though I'm nowhere near being a vegetarian.

$15-20 for a veggie burger is kind of insane though.

I would say I'd hope I can buy these to try cooking at home, but this thing is basically a gluten burger. My wife and son both have celiac so our grill is kept gluten free. (And there is almost zero reason to ever have wheat in anything that goes on the grill so it's no hardship for me at all.)

I could grill this on foil but that kind of ruins everything, even meat, so that makes it a skip I guess.

I thought the Beyond one or something was made from peas so maybe we'll be able to try that.

On top of the Soy Leghemoglobin if this thing is essentially processed gluten they're getting into all kinds of other weird territory since doctor's, etc.. don't really understand yet what is going on with both celiac + all the people who test negative to celiac but swear they are sensitive to gluten. And now we've got someone who is basically selling a highly processed "burger" with the main ingredient being an allergen.

edit: Yah, the "Beyond Burger" is gluten free. Seems like a safer bet.

Funny cause I love seitan too, and that's basically pure gluten too. But I don't have any issues with gluten.

vertebraille
09-25-2017, 10:27 AM
The Beyond Burger (http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/beyond-burger) is REALLY good. No soy or gluten and no GMOs if those are concerning to anyone.

20g protein in each. You can pick up a 2 pack at Whole Foods for $5.99. Not the cheapest thing around but by far the best burger I've had since I stopped eating meat.

R3awak3n
09-25-2017, 10:30 AM
beyond burger is fine, really greasy and tastes nothing like a real burger. The impossible is miles ahead of the beyond as far as close to meat taste.

ptourkin
09-25-2017, 11:06 AM

The same people who do this are the ones who repeat that lame "how do you know if someone is vegan" comment. Be original.

A shout out for the Beyond Burger too. It's widely available now and Sysco has picked up. I think it's delicious, although the restaurant versions I've had are careless. Easy at home.

Friends who have had both say Impossible is even more realistic.

gdw
09-25-2017, 11:44 AM
$14+ for a faux meat burger...... once, maybe, for the experience but there's no way that would I pay that much regularly for a hamburg whether it is made from beef or plants.

mrvnmrvn
09-25-2017, 03:42 PM
agreed, but definitely would try one. Pictures look pretty appetizing. Are boca burgers still around?

ojingoh
09-25-2017, 05:19 PM
$14+ for a faux meat burger...... once, maybe, for the experience but there's no way that would I pay that much regularly for a hamburg whether it is made from beef or plants.

Agree. I think it's part of their launch product positioning though- putting it in gourmet restaurants that sell $15 burgers and saying it's good enough for these picky consumers, should be good enough for home/foodservice. This is V1.0 production too, so scale economics are not in play yet.

I hope that the technology and food science becomes more affordable. I would like an alternative to animal meat for animal meat recipes. The science behind the food is very interesting, and less intensive than say muscle cell culture. That's being worked on right now too, but I haven't heard much about that recently.

joosttx
10-28-2017, 09:37 PM
I tried an impossible burger tonight. It looked real and tasted mostly real. I definitely missed the fats of a quality burger. In a burger it was fine but just plain you could taste a difference compared to beef. I like beef better or a more nutritious veggie burger.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4476/37948288106_90eaf684d2_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4450/37948288196_360d211f51_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4482/26225618919_599abee21c_c.jpg

alancw3
10-29-2017, 03:26 AM
thnaks for the update and pics.

Fatty
10-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Plant based but no dietary fiber? And 50 percent of your daily allotment of saturated fat from a 3 ounce serving? Probably pass,