PDA

View Full Version : MTB advice

batman1425
09-23-2017, 08:59 AM
This popped up locally and I think it will fit me. Price is about what I'd like to spend for a squishy around town and future burley tow bike, but wondering if the suspension is still serviceable on these?

https://rmn.craigslist.org/bik/d/cannondale-jekyll-700-sx-mtb/6314645331.html

Cicli
09-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Thats a cool bike for cruzin. The suspension is totally serviceable.

Ken Robb
09-23-2017, 10:40 AM
I didn't remember that disc brakes were available in 2000 until I saw this. Then I remembered that my Marin Rift Zone from 2001 has tabs for discs even though I opted for V-brakes. In San Diego I never have to ride in rain so discs seemed unnecessary.
This bike looks like it is very low mileage so suspension wear ought to be minimal. I'd just make sure brake pads are still available. I can't imagine buying more fun for $300 +/-

peanutgallery
09-23-2017, 11:10 AM
The headshock is serviceable as long as you don't need more than some o-rings for the dampning unit or air chamber - available in the plumbing dept at home depot or whatever. There was a plastic cap that was prone to breaking and tose are probably not available these days. If the fork is locked out and it still rattles around a little bit, that is the sign of a need for service. Hole in the fork boot is danger also. You should also slide the fork boot out of the way to make sure that the roller bearings didn't migrate, too. Scarily enough, I have the service tools for that thing. Neighbor brought an old cannonware over last year and he was dumbfounded when I pulled the fork apart and fixed it in less than a beer. Good times

Rear shock is what it is and proprietary for that design and probably no support. If someone has the lower seal laying around, that is about all you can do with it

One of those was my first full suspension mtb, rode the crap out of it. Way more servicable than many of its peers. About the only bike of that vintage that I would tell not to run as fast as you can in the opposite direction

Big plus, no CODA brakes. That was an experiment almost as damaging to cannonware as their ill-fated motorcycle

batman1425
09-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Planned use wouldn't be much more than commuting, dragging the trailer around, and MUT stuff with the family. Maybe very infrequent light off road use but nothing serious. Seems like a much more fun way to do that than you average "commuter" bike.

I was concerned about longevity with proprietary bits being an issue, but at this price point its hard to argue. Also looks like those Magura brakes may be a bit of a pain - manual adjustment on hydro brakes??

peanutgallery
09-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Single piston, similar setup to a bb7. Braking achieved by one side pushing the rotor against the fixed side. Archaic, but that is how it was done back then. But the pad availability?

Easy enough to still bleed, as long as nothing cracked or aged out

Planned use wouldn't be much more than commuting, dragging the trailer around, and MUT stuff with the family. Maybe very infrequent light off road use but nothing serious. Seems like a much more fun way to do that than you average "commuter" bike.

I was concerned about longevity with proprietary bits being an issue, but at this price point its hard to argue. Also looks like those Magura brakes may be a bit of a pain - manual adjustment on hydro brakes??

batman1425
09-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Single piston, similar setup to a bb7. Braking achieved by one side pushing the rotor against the fixed side. Archaic, but that is how it was done back then. But the pad availability?

Easy enough to still bleed, as long as nothing cracked or aged out

It looks like you can still get pads, but not the easiest thing in the world to track down. Swapping in something more modern just for ease of consumable availability probably isn't a terrible idea.

peanutgallery
09-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Not to mention, they'll work a ton better

It looks like you can still get pads, but not the easiest thing in the world to track down. Swapping in something more modern just for ease of consumable availability probably isn't a terrible idea.

Ken Robb
09-23-2017, 03:30 PM

I'm curious about how one disc brake works "a ton better". I'm not being a smart-ass here; I have very little experience (short test rides) with discs on bicycles. Living in sunny San Diego I have been perfectly happy with dual pivot, vee, and cantilever brakes all of which were a BIG improvement over my Nuovo Record single pivots. What improvements should one expect from a new hydraulic disc vs. the older versions?

batman1425
09-23-2017, 03:48 PM

They down side is even a set of deore or SLX brakes will be worth almost half of what the whole bike is worth, haha. Stopping is important though.

peanutgallery
09-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Bleedability of newer systems for one, tech for another. More progressive braking. Little bit of lever, little bit of brake. Lots of lever, lots of brake. Shorter braking distance for sure

Dual piston means that both pads move together vs. one pad flexing the rotor into the other. Night and day when you experience it. My current brakes are 4 piston and they work great. With the 4 pistons the pad size increases but so does the ability to dissipate heat. Heavier, but my plus bike already weighs over 30 lbs. Climbs slow but I can rock the technical sections and the big rocks. Too much fun

I'm curious about how one disc brake works "a ton better". I'm not being a smart-ass here; I have very little experience (short test rides) with discs on bicycles. Living in sunny San Diego I have been perfectly happy with dual pivot, vee, and cantilever brakes all of which were a BIG improvement over my Nuovo Record single pivots. What improvements should one expect from a new hydraulic disc vs. the older versions?