PDA

View Full Version : Advice, please.

SpokeValley
09-22-2017, 11:43 AM
A friend crashed last weekend and as I was inspecting his bike I found this. Apologies for pix. I changed position to change the lighting.

This is the curved section rear of the seat stay on a 2016 Giant TCR. The clearance is pretty tight. The ding isn't soft and I don't see any cut fibers.

The wreck was in a paceline and damage was pretty much the front wheel.

The damage in the pix was unlikely from the crash. Customer didn't know it was there.

I think a sticky rock from some of our fine chip seal attached to the tire and spun around to cause this.

So, hallowed assembly...

Safe?
Repair recommendations?

adrien
09-22-2017, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't ride it. I certainly wouldn't feel good telling someone else to.

Calfee, or someone local.

Gummee
09-22-2017, 11:49 AM
If you tap it with a quarter, does it sound like the rest of the bike?

If so, then it's more than likely cosmetic. Keep an eye on it.

If it sounds different, then it's structural and needs fixing and isn't safe to ride.

M

tuscanyswe
09-22-2017, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't ride it. I certainly wouldn't feel good telling someone else to.

Calfee, or someone local.

+1

I wouldn't trust anyones recommendation of that after just seeing pictures but thats me and certainly no expert on carbon damage.

Cicli
09-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Looks broken to me. The tap test dosent tell you much but that looks like it has suffered some compression.

EliteVelo
09-22-2017, 12:19 PM
There's a shop in Oregon, Ruckus Composites, that does incredible carbon repair work. May be worth a call.

veggieburger
09-22-2017, 12:23 PM
http://img.picturequotes.com/2/482/481904/if-it-cant-be-fixed-with-duct-tape-youre-not-using-enough-duct-tape-quote-1.jpg

foo_fighter
09-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Do a search on them here before you use them.

There's a shop in Oregon, Ruckus Composites, that does incredible carbon repair work. May be worth a call.

bshell
09-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Actually, the coin tap can tell a lot.

If it sounds dull or different from surrounding areas, you've got a problem. It is not the 'end all' test but it is a simple way to start.

That looks more than cosmetic to me, but do I think there is an imminent failure of the seat tube? No.

ultraman6970
09-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Remove the paint and look what is underneath, the only way to know 100%.

Well could be just the paint or the outter layer of carbon, specially if its not creaking.

Correction, seat tube? even if its cracked due to the way the tube works I doubt it will explode, was top tube or downtube well.. the situation changes, either way, remove the paint.

EliteVelo
09-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Do a search on them here before you use them.

Just read the feedback about Ruckus on the forum. Good call. I heard nothing but good about them. Had a friend that used them in the past with his Colnago and came away pleased. After reading comments here, I would be reluctant. Thanks for the heads up!

FlashUNC
09-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Ew. Would not ride.

Clean39T
09-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Just read the feedback about Ruckus on the forum. Good call. I heard nothing but good about them. Had a friend that used them in the past with his Colnago and came away pleased. After reading comments here, I would be reluctant. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm not saying what to do, but beware the negativity bias - there may be a ton of folks who had good experiences and never posted a review (here or elsewhere). Always good to be discerning though and ask questions...get it in writing, etc.

cmbicycles
09-22-2017, 03:41 PM
Good rule of thumb, "when in doubt, refer out." Tap test is a starting point, if it sounds different there has likely been some delamination.

Since its a customer's bike I would certainly point out the damage, make them aware of the potential and then let them make an informed decision. There are plenty of places that do carbon repair (as well as diy kits) if that is the direction they choose, you will no doubt find many recommendations on the forum.

mhespenheide
09-22-2017, 03:52 PM
If you're looking for a repair shop that's smaller than Calfee, try Drew Wilson at Cyclocarbon. I haven't used him and can't vouch for him, but his reviews through FaceBook are positive.

ojingoh
09-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Bottom side of the downtube is engineered to be the strongest part of the bike. If there's a crack here, it should not be ridden.

Edit: per this pic:https://goo.gl/images/DXbDGP
It looks like the back side of the seat tube?

dddd
09-22-2017, 04:25 PM
I am having trouble in terms of imagining the location from just these close-up photos, but unless the rider is particularly big and/or strong and hard-riding, I will assume that the generous factor of safety built into production frames makes this still safe to ride and unlikely to affect the frame's useful lifespan or performance.
I would love to be able to buy such frames at a deep discount when the owner cannot be convinced that their frame won't asplode.

weisan
09-22-2017, 04:46 PM
If it's a medium, please PM me.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210877

sdrides
09-23-2017, 06:24 AM
If it was...

My bike: probably (but not definitely) just ride it and keep an eye on it.
Friend's bike: same as above, with a dutiful warning.
Customer's bike: recommend to send it to Calfee for repair.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2017, 08:23 AM
A friend crashed last weekend and as I was inspecting his bike I found this. Apologies for pix. I changed position to change the lighting.

This is the curved section rear of the seat stay on a 2016 Giant TCR. The clearance is pretty tight. The ding isn't soft and I don't see any cut fibers.

The wreck was in a paceline and damage was pretty much the front wheel.

The damage in the pix was unlikely from the crash. Customer didn't know it was there.

I think a sticky rock from some of our fine chip seal attached to the tire and spun around to cause this.

So, hallowed assembly...

Safe?
Repair recommendations?

Send the frame to a reputable carbon repair place and have them evaluate..it's what they do. Remember, carbon fails/breaks..it may or may not give warning that the seat tube 'may' break..don't think I'd trust it on an aggressive, high speed downhill.

SoCalSteve
09-23-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm not saying what to do, but beware the negativity bias - there may be a ton of folks who had good experiences and never posted a review (here or elsewhere). Always good to be discerning though and ask questions...get it in writing, etc.

I don’t post negative reviews of stuff, people, places or companies unless I feel really strongly about something that went wrong.

Ruckus is one of those places. And yes, there may be many happy people who had work done there. The person who recommended them to me was happy with their work...

All I know is, I would not send ANYTHING to them again to be repaired after my experience with them. Something is up with their business-people. Not a clue what it could be, but it’s not good.

Also, I do think the tap test will be a good starting off point. There are a few other smaller businesses that do this kind of repair work on carbon. I do believe there is a smaller shop near Calfee that they farm some of their work to. I also think the owner used to work for Calfee. Name alludes me now, sorry.

SpokeValley
09-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Great answers, all. Many, many thanks.

:beer::beer: