PDA

View Full Version : Poll....

shinomaster
09-13-2006, 12:44 AM
How would the forum feel if I moved back to Boston? I really need to get on with my life. I need to get back to grad school. I need to grow up. I have a few friends back East, and a Mom who seems not to be well. I like Portland but I wonder if the grass is greener back home? I know it's a bit vain of me to even ask, but oh well...

Tom Byrnes
09-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Shino,

If it's a close call, then the fact that your mom is not well tips the scales to Boston, imho. You will get the added benefit of lots of cyclocross and many East Coast SerottaPals.

Best wishes with whatever you choose.

Tom

William
09-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Shino,

Portland is heaven, but the East coast is cool too. Winters are a bit tough to swallow but still cool. And Moms always top the list if help is needed. What ever you choose, you have Serrota-pals on both sides. :beer:

William

Kevan
09-13-2006, 06:08 AM
and stating, "Snap out of it!"

What does your heart tell you to do?

The place doesn't make you, you make you. Portland has schools too, no? F'r cripesakes don't be doddling around waiting to come back as a seagull.

That said, Portland might be a bit cheaper to live in.

jeffg
09-13-2006, 06:25 AM
I have a similar feeling about moving back to the West Coast from Germany.

Ultimately, being closer to friends and family tip the scales towards CA, but in my case that is tricky since none of my wife's family lives in CA anymore. What I need is a less demanding job that allows me to split time between CA and DC -- right! :crap:

Ray
09-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Portland and Boston are both great cities. Portland gets more rain, Boston has tougher winters. Portland has a lot more folks from everywhere else, which gives it a different kind of energy and enthusiasm - Boston has a lot more people who've been there forever, which gives it a lot of soul. Neither is better, just different. If you were talking about moving to the flattest, dullest portion of Kansas, I'd probably try to talk you out of it. But that doesn't seem to be one of your choices. So, given two pretty good choices, the place doesn't matter nearly as much as the people. If you have a better opportunity one place vs the other, go for it. Or if your mom is getting on and you want to be with her in her later years, do that - we moved from Seattle back to the east coast in '92 for similar family reasons and have never regretted it.

Don't wait to be reincarnated - you might come back as a species that can't ride a bike. How much would that suck?

-Ray

bostondrunk
09-13-2006, 07:40 AM
what about the hot chic you are dating ?!?!

shinomaster
09-13-2006, 07:59 AM
what about the hot chic you are dating ?!?!

This one? Well, she just got here masters in neuroscience....maybe she can come too and be the breadwinner?

inGobwetrust
09-13-2006, 08:16 AM
and stating, "Snap out of it!"

What does your heart tell you to do?

The place doesn't make you, you make you. Portland has schools too, no? F'r cripesakes don't be doddling around waiting to come back as a seagull.

That said, Portland might be a bit cheaper to live in.

More than a bit cheaper! Check out the salary comparator at this link:

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

All that said, come back here for a while and bring that lovely lady with you!

Ginger
09-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Johnny Boy,
You're right. Don't put your life on hold, get it moving. And of course...don't use one issue to run away from another. Not that you'd do that of course.
Ginger

Birddog
09-13-2006, 08:34 AM
There are things you just can't do in life. You can't beat the phone company, you can't make a waiter see you until he's ready to see you, and you can't go home again.”

Bill Bryson

Birddog

Ginger
09-13-2006, 08:37 AM
I think he should follow her to wherever she's doing her PhD....

That's what I think.

Visit mom and figure out the situation there...but keep hold of that hottie!

coylifut
09-13-2006, 08:44 AM
you should go to Boston, go to grad shcool, take care of mom and then come back. if not, we'll hunt you down and drag you back.

Bradford
09-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Shino-pal,

I was born in Boston, raised in Marshfield, and just spend the past 9 years in Providence. My mom is still there.

The answer is to come to Denver. Portland is cool, but the weather, and the people, are much nicer here. The riding is pretty cool also.

P.S., bring the hot babe. :banana: :banana: :banana:

znfdl
09-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Shino-san:

I was raised in Newton, Mass and have lived mostly in the DC region for the last 21 years. Come to DC, the winters are mild compared to Boston, we have incredible riding, some pretty decent schools and a short flight to Beantown.

And most importantly a lot of Serotta Forumites......

shinomaster
09-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Shino-san:

I was raised in Newton, Mass and have lived mostly in the DC region for the last 21 years. Come to DC, the winters are mild compared to Boston, we have incredible riding, some pretty decent schools and a short flight to Beantown.

And most importantly a lot of Serotta Forumites......

Not to mention the museums....especially the Freer.

fstrthnu
09-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Boston? You must be nuts. That place is a headache and the people (in general) are bitter. Stay in that horizontal area, if anything move negative vertically.

I have lived in both Boston and Portland.

IMHO,
Fstrthnu

Too Tall
09-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Family first bubba.
Bonus, move back and we'll ride Deerfield next go around...I know you won't wuss out ;)

inGobwetrust
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
What's with you guys trying to lure her- I mean him to Denver, DC, or who knows where? She...I mean he's ours! Get back here!

davids
09-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Shino and Ginger should both move here. Boston, that is. It will help make this place a tad less bitter...

And it appears that there are also a lot of Forumites here. Even though we can't seem to go for a ride together.

Lincoln
09-13-2006, 11:18 AM
1) Is she willing to go to Boston?
2) Boston isn't much of a college town.

Karin Kirk
09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
My Mom lives in Boston too... hmm, perhaps you are the long lost brother our family has been trying to keep secret??

I vote for Boston because aside from dear Mom, the shopping is world-class. As is the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

SLOrider
09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Both areas are nice and family is important but I have spent alot of time in Portland and other parts of Oregon and believe it has some of the best ridding around. Make sure she goes where you go!!

Fat Robert
09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
go wherever you want

just don't come here

Ginger
09-13-2006, 12:09 PM
On the serious side...Did you ask your mom what she wants? (Outside the general "no, I'm fine." thing...)

Best thing you can really do is go visit. See what the situation really is. It may be much worse than your mom lets on.
If so, and it works best, back to Boston with you.
If the hottie is a long term thing, it'll all work out. If she isn't, there will be some drama, then you'll find another one in Boston.

Or your mom could just miss her sons. Visit more often.

BTW...the whole older parent committment is fortunately often longer term than just a year or five. I've been hanging out, helping keep track of my dad for 10 years now. As time has gone on, his needs are escalating. Now that my sister's families have grown up and moved out, one of them is stepping up to the role that I've been doing. It makes more sense, they live close to him and they're fresh to the situation. As time wears on he also gets along better with my oldest sister... so it's all good.

djg
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Your life and your move, of course.

If the GF wants a PhD in neuroscience, Boston wins hands down (both for what it has in-house--and in Cambridge and even, depending on what she does, out at Brandeis--and for its proximity to other places). That's not to say that she might not find a good fit in an Oregon lab, of course, but ... well, she knows the drill.

I moved back to the DC area some years back partly because of an ailing parent. You'll have your own perspective on this, but I've known enough folks that have found it very hard to be far from a parent in decline that I'd at least mention the issue. A few years can slide by faster than you'd like, and so can a life. A three hour train ride from home is one thing. A full day's flight--with limited and high-dollar non-stops--is another.

Portland's a nice town. If somebody loves it, then I understand. But Portland is off in its own world out there--way far from the east coast and also pretty far from most of the population on the west coast. You'll make your own way of course, but Boston has its charms too.

bcm119
09-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Shino- I've thought about moving back east for years. I moved to the west coast when I was 21, and I always figured I'd be living back east by the time I was 30. Well, I'm 30 and I'm still here. My brother lives in Boston, he just bought a place in JP, and my parents are still in NY state. I'm very close with my big bro, and he's been trying to get me to move for years. Its very tempting because I like Boston a lot, but finding a job I like as much as the one I have is very tough.

I'm fully expecting to have to move back east when my parents start deteriorating. They've been really supportive of me and I'll do the same for them. But you have to know the signs, you could over react and move back there, and be stuck there for 15-20 years. Its a tough call.

Also, count the girl in your plans... she'll be around a lot longer than your mom. If you've got a good thing, don't screw it up! Boston isn't for everyone. On the other hand, theres plenty of good looking, smart girls in Boston.

You have to look at your current situation. If its decent now, stick with it. If it really sucks, make a big move. I've found that if you're really honest with yourself, sometimes you discover that you want to move for the wrong reasons.

atmo, I'm not a city person, but if I had to live in a city, it would be Boston. Portland doesn't cut it for me. Its like a big suburb- it feels like somethings missing. If you're a Boston person, just get it over with and move there now before you get too attached to your Portland life. IMHO.

Ti Designs
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
If you're gonna come our and ride, come on down! If not, stay there but send the hot babe anyway...

William
09-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Shino,

You could always move to central/southern Rhode Island. Less hectic pace, but yet still accessable to Boston. Not to far from "e" or Zanc to boot. Cheaper then housing in the Boston area. And you could ride with Beungood, Molly22, Quattro (during the summer) and myself.

Davids, Come ride Jamestown with us in November.

William

shinomaster
09-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey, thanks for all of the honest, sincere and very thoughtful, free advice. It truly was appreciated this morning. What a bunch of pals!
:beer:

72gmc
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
if you have a good relationship with she who wears rhinestone-studded cateye glasses, does it matter where you and your mom are together? is there a reason mom can't join you in portland if you can keep your sweetie, and do the schooling out here on the west coast? portland is a very nice city that mom may like. or you could go east and shop with karin kirk.

just another thought on the pile. good luck with grad school.

shinomaster
09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
My girlfriend is a total babe, and she has more brains than me and most people for sure, although strangely she has less common sense. She is from LA so even Portland is too cold she thinks..

bcm119
09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
My girlfriend is a total babe, and she has more brains than me and most people for sure, although strangely she has less common sense. She is from LA so even Portland is too cold she thinks..
You should move to san francisco. My S.O. is from Calif too, and thinks OR is too cold, and she won't move east of I-5. The Bay Area is the answer!

davids
09-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Davids, Come ride Jamestown with us in November.

William
Jamestown? This is x-cross, is it?

shinomaster
09-14-2006, 01:19 AM
You should move to san francisco. My S.O. is from Calif too, and thinks OR is too cold, and she won't move east of I-5. The Bay Area is the answer!

Sanfrancisco, would be swell...racing cross in the sun? Actually it would be too expensive...worse than Boston, but as Samual Clemens said (aka Mark Twain) "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Sanfrancisco".

William
09-14-2006, 05:23 AM
Jamestown? This is x-cross, is it?

No, just a friendly ride around the Island......Survivor style!!! Aaaahahahah!!:D

William

PS: Just kidding. A Friendly jaunt.

davids
09-14-2006, 08:51 AM
No, just a friendly ride around the Island......Survivor style!!! Aaaahahahah!!:D

William

PS: Just kidding. A Friendly jaunt.
cool. I did a few RI miles this weekend during the Flattest Century. Lovely state. Maybe we should just ride the perimeter a few times?

Samster
09-14-2006, 10:35 AM
... I really need to get on with my life. I need to get back to grad school. I need to grow up...imo, going back to grad school neither encourages "growing up" nor helps you to "get on with life." imo, it's delaying the inevitable choices that have to made.

unless of course you're going to g.s. for specific vocational training (and no, business school does _not_ count as specific vocational training.)

<added> but Boston is a _great_ town. i don't know if i'd go back there to live again, but i really do miss the place.

Samster
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
... she has more brains than me and most people for sure, although strangely she has less common sense...graduate school does that to people sometimes...

Bradford
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
imo, going back to grad school neither encourages "growing up" nor helps you to "get on with life." imo, it's delaying the inevitable choices that have to made.

I have two graduate degrees and I agree with Samster. I say stop preparing for life and start living.

business school does _not_ count as specific vocational training.

A friend of mine from B School used to describe it as a sports camp with a job search. Another friend of mine who went to Michigan described his experience as "40 Gs for 20 Bs." Unfortunately, it is more than 40Gs these days.

alembical
09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
How would the forum feel if I moved back to Boston? The Portland folks would be happy.... the East coast folks would be hurt.... or is that the other way around?I really need to get on with my life. I need to get back to grad school. I need to grow up. Just ask yourself what would really change. You will be immature whereever you live, and both places have plenty of good schools.I have a few friends back East, and a Mom who seems not to be well This could be the key. Moving for friends or family is always real tough to argue with. The key is being happy and doing what needs to be done, which is sometimes helping to take care of those who have taken care of us.. I like Portland but I wonder if the grass is greener back home? I think in a month or so, all the grass back East will be dead... no?I know it's a bit vain of me to even ask, but oh well...

But Shino.... we would miss you.... and I don't think there are many Stumptown's in Boston...

Alembical

flydhest
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Since Terroir is in Beantown, you'll be able to get good coffee if you move back down east.