PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ritchey Break-Away

Clancy
09-21-2017, 11:23 AM
I inquired on this forum a while back as to which custom builders are licensed to use the Ritchey Break-Away coupler system. Although I got a few leads, I wondered if there were more builders.

I currently have a 54cm steel Ritchey Break-Away which I dearly love. However it's just not the right size. Unfortunately the geometry of any of the Break-Aways simply won't work for me.

With that said I attempted to contact Ritchey via their web page to ask about a list of licensed builders. However, there is no direct email nor does their seem to be a form on line although the site mentions one.

So, two questions.

One, does anyone have a contact for Ritchey?

(I could call, but not sure if that would be the best way to obtain a list)

Or, does anyone know of a way to find out who are the builders that can use the coupler system?

As always, this forum is great! Thanks

mhespenheide
09-21-2017, 11:48 AM
I don't have a list or contact information... but I do know that Curtlo offers custom frames with the BreakAway system.

https://www.curtlo.com/index.html

shovelhd
09-21-2017, 12:14 PM
I hear ya about the geometry. I have a BreakAway Cross and it's very different than my race bike. It takes some adjustment and compromise.

sales guy
09-21-2017, 12:29 PM
our guys have done both a Break Away version and the S&S coupler version. They prefer the S&S. BUT, if the tubing is shaped, it's tougher to use the S&S versions. Which is when we switch to the Ritchey couplers.

I prefer the S&S model. The Ritchey ones, on the BreakAway i have, it is a flexy frame. Also, I've had to have the downtube coupler redone twice. The clamps can and have come loose for me which leads to the tubing getting damaged. Tom's been super nice in repairing them. But honestly, for a larger/taller rider, the BreakAway couplers aren't solid enough. Also, the BreakAway case is not airline regs legal. The S&S is. And for the bigger size BreakAway frames like mine, the frame fits super snug in the case. Kind of bulges out a bit.

foo_fighter
09-21-2017, 12:33 PM
RockLobster!
I had 2 BreakAway / S&S hybrids done through him and another guy liked my frames and paint so much, he also did the same thing.

sandyrs
09-21-2017, 12:39 PM
RockLobster!
I had 2 BreakAway / S&S hybrids done through him and another guy liked my frames and paint so much, he also did the same thing.

Interesting, which location had which coupler style?

foo_fighter
09-21-2017, 12:48 PM
The down tube has the S/S coupler. It seemed more robust than the clamp that the breakaway has.

Speaking of BreakAway, this looks like a cool rig:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/20/ritchey-packs-up-new-folding-carbon-break-away-outback-gravel-adventure-bike/

But you could go custom for less than that.

Interesting, which location had which coupler style?

ColonelJLloyd
09-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Speaking of BreakAway, this looks like a cool rig:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/20/ritchey-packs-up-new-folding-carbon-break-away-outback-gravel-adventure-bike/

I hope that fork is available separately.

eBAUMANN
09-21-2017, 02:29 PM
I hope that fork is available separately.

i hope that fork is available with a 15mm insert ;)

im pretty sure that any insured framebuilder can order breakaway components from ritchey.

jtakeda
09-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Mikkelsen

ColonelJLloyd
09-21-2017, 02:51 PM
i hope that fork is available with a 15mm insert ;)

Aw, hell. Didn't notice that. Certainly looks possible. Is that a Ritchey specific system? Alternatively, I wonder if my 15x100 hub would work with a shim because that fork doesn't look to have a cutout.

metalheart
09-21-2017, 03:02 PM
It might be worth a look at Bill Holland's jet frame (http://hollandcycles.com/holland-exojet/), a breakaway style design that might work for you.... This packs in a very compact case.

Clancy
09-21-2017, 04:26 PM
our guys have done both a Break Away version and the S&S coupler version. They prefer the S&S. BUT, if the tubing is shaped, it's tougher to use the S&S versions. Which is when we switch to the Ritchey couplers.

I prefer the S&S model. The Ritchey ones, on the BreakAway i have, it is a flexy frame. Also, I've had to have the downtube coupler redone twice. The clamps can and have come loose for me which leads to the tubing getting damaged. Tom's been super nice in repairing them. But honestly, for a larger/taller rider, the BreakAway couplers aren't solid enough. Also, the BreakAway case is not airline regs legal. The S&S is. And for the bigger size BreakAway frames like mine, the frame fits super snug in the case. Kind of bulges out a bit.

Weights not too big of a concern, I weigh 155lbs kitted up. I've never experienced any flexing with my current Ritchey. I do like the beefed up coupler that's on the carbon break away.

Great leads so far....

Anyone know how to email Ritchey?

AngryScientist
09-21-2017, 04:29 PM
if you're going custom anyway, i would absolutely do S&S couplers over breakaway system. I own both systems and that's my opinion.

Clancy
09-21-2017, 06:17 PM
if you're going custom anyway, i would absolutely do S&S couplers over breakaway system. I own both systems and that's my opinion.

Expand?

I've been happy with my Ritchey Break Away and have shied away from S&S couplers due to the weight.

The Break Away bag is ok, I can see where the S&S case is certainty better.

oldpotatoe
09-21-2017, 06:25 PM
I inquired on this forum a while back as to which custom builders are licensed to use the Ritchey Break-Away coupler system. Although I got a few leads, I wondered if there were more builders.

I currently have a 54cm steel Ritchey Break-Away which I dearly love. However it's just not the right size. Unfortunately the geometry of any of the Break-Aways simply won't work for me.

With that said I attempted to contact Ritchey via their web page to ask about a list of licensed builders. However, there is no direct email nor does their seem to be a form on line although the site mentions one.

So, two questions.

One, does anyone have a contact for Ritchey?

(I could call, but not sure if that would be the best way to obtain a list)

Or, does anyone know of a way to find out who are the builders that can use the coupler system?

As always, this forum is great! Thanks

Contact Mark Nobilette....he can do it.
Mnobilette@msn.com

sales guy
09-21-2017, 08:27 PM
I disagree. The new carbon lugs I see as a problem. That little notch I just see it getting damaged easily. And without a second binder bolt there, I personally wouldn't do it.

Why do you need Ritcheys email? I would be surprised if they told you who uses it if that's what you're looking for.

Also, not all builders can get the BreakAway system. Ritchey licenses it and doesn't just give it to anyone. There are some hoops to jump thru.

fogrider
09-21-2017, 11:26 PM
if you're going custom, another interesting option is what rob english is doing with his folding rear triangle. http://www.englishcycles.com/cat/custombikes/travelbikes/

foo_fighter
09-22-2017, 12:26 AM
It's not a carbon lug....the carbon tubes are bonded to metal lugs:
But it does look like they changed it so there isn't a lower binder bolt. Maybe the top bolts cinch around the built in lower shaft and the seatpost.

https://gzmyu4ma9b-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Ritchey-Break-Away-Carbon-Outback_carbon-break-away-coupler-carbon-travel-gravel-adventure-bike-frameset_steel-coupler-inserts.jpg

I disagree. The new carbon lugs I see as a problem. That little notch I just see it getting damaged easily. And without a second binder bolt there, I personally wouldn't do it.

Why do you need Ritcheys email? I would be surprised if they told you who uses it if that's what you're looking for.

Also, not all builders can get the BreakAway system. Ritchey licenses it and doesn't just give it to anyone. There are some hoops to jump thru.

sales guy
09-22-2017, 07:40 AM
I wasn't meaning they were carbon for the lugs. bad wording choice.

joosttx
09-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Igleheart works was Ritchey breakway

91Bear
09-22-2017, 12:58 PM
$6,200 :eek:

It might be worth a look at Bill Holland's jet frame (http://hollandcycles.com/holland-exojet/), a breakaway style design that might work for you.... This packs in a very compact case.

metalheart
09-22-2017, 04:11 PM
$6,200 :eek:

Yes, it is pricey, but his work speaks for itself and for my money it is worth every bit of that......