PDA

View Full Version : Gran Fondo Winthrop

geordanh
09-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Any Seattle or other PnW folks riding this on Saturday?

I got busy and fat in August so should be a real treat.

http://rideviciouscycle.com/events/gran-fondo-winthrop/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cachagua
09-21-2017, 11:26 AM
That looks like an awful lot of fun. Love to be able to do it, but not this boy, not this year.

All that area is gorgeous for riding, both on pavement and off.

Ride report, please, if you go for it?

Vientomas
09-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Have fun!! I'll be participating in this on Sat: http://cdagranfondo.com/

john903
09-21-2017, 01:38 PM
I am not going this year but next year Winthrop is my goal. I have done the first in the series of 5 that they put on. It is a great spring classic type ride in March in eastern Washington I would highly recommend doing any of the five. The promoter and rides are well organized and top quality riders, and of course lots of fun.
Have a great day.

Drmojo
09-21-2017, 01:49 PM
here in Cali Gran Fondu
(my spelling)
prices are around $200
Jensie
Levi
Tehachapi
Napa
bring back the humble century!

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Looked at that one, but it's an 8hr drive up from Portland - maybe next year - love that area!

geordanh
09-24-2017, 11:16 PM
What an insane ride. Stunning views and crazy roads way out into the middle of nowhere in the north cascades. Makes me a bit embarrassed about all the other times I've called a ride epic.

Anyhow, ended up coming 5th which I was pretty happy about. These events by Vicious (http://rideviciouscycle.com) are super well organized and deserve more attention. They are incredible routes. So hard but awesome. The views were unreal though I was a bit too heads down in the hurt locker to appreciate it all.

I'm wondering about putting a lauf fork on my stigmata. I hate how they look, but some suspension would help on rides like this.

I think this is where gravel bikes will really evolve over the next few years. The 2022 stigmata will probably have a sub 1kg suspension fork of some sort that locks out and hopefully doesn't look as dumb as the lauf.

Luwabra
09-25-2017, 11:04 AM
I lived in Winthrop and twisp for 5 years working and fishing. I didn't get the bike bug until moving away now I want another crack at being there. Thanks for pics!and congratulations on your finish..what was total elevation gain?? I want to ride up harts pass as well it's just up the road from Winthrop!

notsew
09-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Nice work! That's a huge ride and a great showing.

@Luwabra, over 11k.

geordanh
09-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Thanks! The april events are easier. Hoping to make it down to at least one of them. Hopefully meet some paceliners at one of them next year.

mhespenheide
09-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Congratulations, great result!

The two year I lived in Seattle, I often pored over the maps of the areas near there, and north of Leavenworth. Never got anything big together, though! (Self-note: :no:)

I actually like the look of the Lauf, but I know I'm in the minority. It appeals to my engineer, "form follows function" side.