PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled into eBay and bought a Kirk...

Clean39T
09-20-2017, 12:09 AM
A Kirk Pacenti that is :banana:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0oIAAOSwwrtZv-UR/s-l1600.jpg

It actually popped up when I was going to pull down the Keith Anderson I had listed on there. They saw me coming a mile away...not only is it exactly the specs I'm settled on with it being a little taller than the Merlin I just let go and the same reach, but it's pretty much my favorite color combination going. And it looked to have the same fork I had on my Moots (maybe made by ENVE), which was awesome and fit 28s.

The Pros Closet had it listed for $999. I threw out a low offer. They countered much lower than I expected. And I took it. Let's just say it's a no-risk option.

All that happened quickly with me not wanting to risk a missed swoop, so I kind of went on faith that if it had Pacenti's name on it and had good geo for me, it'd be worth trying...post purchase though I went looking for more info on the frame...

And behold, I found this post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1508134&postcount=207), this post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1508484&postcount=211), and this post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1508150&postcount=210) from Kirk linking to this Flickr album (https://www.flickr.com/photos/35685161@N00/12836151264/in/photostream/) by Curt Goodrich, who it turns out did the paint on the frameset (I didn't even notice the CG logo on the chain stay in the eBay listing), which uncovered that the frame Kirk was describing in those posts was the frame I just bought. That's some pretty fun serendipity right there. What's more, it looks like this hasn't even been ridden...maybe hasn't even been off the wall other than to pick up the little scratch shown.

Anyway, this one is going to be fun to build, and I feel pretty safe with it coming from TPC that I won't have another eBay purch gone bad this time around.

I could see it going silver/white/alloy or black/black/carbon, and looking good either way. Good thing I still have a nice stash of parts in the cabinet...

Note: this is a true N+1 purchase...the Peg stays :D

cachagua
09-20-2017, 12:29 AM
Way to go! That is the big score, indeed.

I can totally see how either silver or black could go great on there. I'm normally a strict silver partisan, but there's an exception to every rule, isn't there?

Clean39T
09-20-2017, 12:45 AM
Way to go! That is the big score, indeed.

I can totally see how either silver or black could go great on there. I'm normally a strict silver partisan, but there's an exception to every rule, isn't there?

Jr59's Ellis is a similar colorway and looks great with silver - but I've got a SR11 white label group for this and low-profile carbon tubs or neutrons already in hand. Just depends if I want neo-retro, or modern and racey. Maybe do a mix with white/silver upstairs and black/carbon down below.

mhespenheide
09-20-2017, 12:52 AM
That's pretty sweet.

I'd go with black/black/carbon with red highlights, myself, for that frame.

High-polish always works, though.

paredown
09-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Rockin'!

ANAO
09-20-2017, 07:52 AM
I love this. Every time I look at ebay, I just end up sifting through 1990's 26" 1" threaded forks looking for a cheap Reynolds Ouzo.

Sigh.

Bwana
09-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Very nice!

I'm not usually one to go for polished components, but I think this one is calling for them.

Pegoready
09-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Brilliant find, always loved the colors and graphics of these rare Pacenti steel frames.

tiretrax
09-20-2017, 09:00 AM
That will look even better when you remove TPC's sticker. Congratulations on a nice find. I hope this one is a keeper!

rallizes
09-20-2017, 01:14 PM

jghall
09-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Nice looking frame. Love the color. I'd probably lean towards silver parts.

Though not sure you can fool any of us that you just happened to "stumble" into this. ;)

Clean39T
09-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Nice looking frame. Love the color. I'd probably lean towards silver parts.

Though not sure you can fool any of us that you just happened to "stumble" into this. ;)

True story...whether or not a jury of my peers would believe me...well, I do have a certain reputation round these parts...

TPC already shipped. I may be riding it by next weekend.

jghall
09-20-2017, 04:31 PM
TPC already shipped. I may be riding it by next weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the built pictures. Guessing it's going to be stunning.

And yea, we wouldn't want for you to lose your "tpl" street cred already.

tuscanyswe
09-20-2017, 04:32 PM
I really like this one!!

Clean39T
09-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Looking forward to seeing the built pictures. Guessing it's going to be stunning.

And yea, we wouldn't want for you to lose your "tpl" street cred already.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/8a4e4f467498ff7df2a3aa50d630d9e6.jpg

Cornfed
09-20-2017, 05:18 PM
A sweet bike made sweeter w a sweet deal. I'd go for silver. Keep it light. I've got some 7800 bits if you need anything.

xnetter
09-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Agree with the others in the 'silver' camp. It should have silver SPOKES at the very least ..

Any idea about the tubeset? Sorry if this was captured in the links you inserted - I didn't read that far.

KJ

Clean39T
09-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Agree with the others in the 'silver' camp. It should have silver SPOKES at the very least ..

Any idea about the tubeset? Sorry if this was captured in the links you inserted - I didn't read that far.

KJ

Kirk's post said it was a mix of stuff similar to others he'd done - but I'm assuming it's somewhat oversized and on the lighter side based on descriptions of other ones he did around that time.

CSKeller
09-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Excellent! Congrats!

Only Campagnolo would look right on this lovely machine!

No you didn't 'just stumble on this'...we won't believe you. :banana:

Can't wait to see it built up! Congrats! It seems like the color is similar to the Yamaguchi. I like it!
:bike:

geordanh
09-20-2017, 10:44 PM
This showed up in my feed. Here was my exact thought process, no word of a lie:

"Wow. I want that. It would fit.

Oh sh*t I have too many bikes.

Hmm.

Damn.

Ah, whatever.

Clean39t will probably buy it so maybe I'll have a chance at it in 2018"

I hope you're not offended that you've become my fomo insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T
09-20-2017, 11:50 PM
This showed up in my feed. Here was my exact thought process, no word of a lie:

"Wow. I want that. It would fit.

Oh sh*t I have too many bikes.

Hmm.

Damn.

Ah, whatever.

Clean39t will probably buy it so maybe I'll have a chance at it in 2018"

I hope you're not offended that you've become my fomo insurance

Makes me wonder if TPC pays to have their bikes show up in feeds, or if eBay's algorithms just know me that well...probably a bit of both.

The real problem is now I need a Caletti to complete the stable of Italian stallions - his Adventure Road (https://caletticycles.com/bikes/adventure-road/) is pretty sweet and would be perfect for a H11 build next spring (I'm probably delusional thinking prices will come down a bit by then, but you never know). He's going to be up at the Chris King open house in October.

R3awak3n
09-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Would love to be clean 39Ts size, its true, he is your second chance at buying the bike you can't buy right now

:fight: haha. nice bike man, can't wait to see it togehter

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Would love to be clean 39Ts size, its true, he is your second chance at buying the bike you can't buy right now

:fight: haha. nice bike man, can't wait to see it togehter

The run is coming to an end though. The Peg, this Pacenti, and a to-be-revealed rain-bike experiment that's meant to inform a custom (g)road bike in 2018 are kind of it. I'm ready to settle down and start living the married life I guess :eek:

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 12:13 AM
That's pretty sweet.

I'd go with black/black/carbon with red highlights, myself, for that frame.

High-polish always works, though.

Thinking I might use these wheels on it if I go black/black/carbon:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pict/282232325773_/Fsa-Vision-Trimax-Tc24-700C-Carbon-Tubular-10.jpg

With the decals removed of course...and Veloflex Vlaanderens.

Just need to see how "red" the Pacenti logos are in person. I'm not a fan of near-matches that aren't quite right.

And it'll be SR11 White Label to start unless someone out there is wanting to swap for 2015 Record with the red accents.

Marc40a
09-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Niiiice.

What size?

When I find out it's not my size my envy will convert to pure congratulations.

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Niiiice.

What size?

When I find out it's not my size my envy will convert to pure congratulations.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/4d01c2ac3320214411d9ac47afad27c7.png

hollowgram5
09-21-2017, 05:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/4d01c2ac3320214411d9ac47afad27c7.png

I'll just say I'm glad its not closer to my size.. :-) :beer:

cadence90
09-21-2017, 05:49 PM
The real problem is now I need a Caletti to complete the stable of Italian stallions - his Adventure Road (https://caletticycles.com/bikes/adventure-road/) is pretty sweet and would be perfect for a H11 build next spring (I'm probably delusional thinking prices will come down a bit by then, but you never know). He's going to be up at the Chris King open house in October.

I'm extremely sorry to have to disappoint you, but you will need to buy at least 2 more frames in order to have just one stallion trio, or 4 more frames in order to have two stallion trios, because...

1. Pegoretti = 100% puro Italiano.
2? = 100% puro Italiano.
3? = 100% puro Italiano.

1. Pacenti = Italo-Americano.
2? (Caletti)= Italo-Americano.
3? = Italo-Americano.

Huge differenza there.... :D

This Pacenti color is sublime.
Normally I prefer black/carbon, but I can certainly see silver working very well with this beauty as well.

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 06:16 PM
I'm extremely sorry to have to disappoint you, but you will need to buy at least 2 more frames in order to have just one stallion trio, or 4 more frames in order to have two stallion trios, because...

1. Pegoretti = 100% puro Italiano.

2? = 100% puro Italiano.

3? = 100% puro Italiano.

1. Pacenti = Italo-Americano.

2? (Caletti)= Italo-Americano.

3? = Italo-Americano.

Huge differenza there.... :D

This Pacenti color is sublime.

Normally I prefer black/carbon, but I can certainly see silver working very well with this beauty as well.

Allora ;)

cadence90
09-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Allora ;)

Hmmm...that's not exactly disappointment that I'm sensing....
:)

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Hmmm...that's not exactly disappointment that I'm sensing....

:)

No, I was pretty much joking about the Italian part...but it would be funny if all my bikes ended in "i" :)

saab2000
09-21-2017, 06:49 PM
I own and regularly ride what might be the original Pacenti prototype. I'll try to post pics later.

Light for a steel bike and very stiff. Reynolds fork. It can probably be found with a search.

I think it was constructed by Co-Motion. Head tube is shorter than th OP's. it's about a 15 CM head tube with a 57 top tube.

Edit: Now with pictures

Here's my Pacenti last year after swapping out some old, worn Campagnolo stuff that worked but was tired. The wheels have subsequently been updated to Pacenti Forza with Wheels Mfg. hubs from Ergott Intergalactic Industries. The 5800 stuff is rock solid.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8707/28251500172_69df99a99e_b.jpg

Same bike a few years ago with Campagnolo 10-speed. I like both setups equally but I will admit I might like the Campagnolo 10-speed levers with the Deda shallow drop bars a bit more than the Zero 100s. My hands fit the 10-speed levers and the Deda shallows nearly perfectly.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8119/8658679554_1a2e2747e9_b.jpg

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 09:45 PM
I own and regularly ride what might be the original Pacenti prototype. I'll try to post pics later.

Light for a steel bike and very stiff. Reynolds fork. It can probably be found with a search.

I think it was constructed by Co-Motion. Head tube is shorter than th OP's. it's about a 15 CM head tube with a 57 top tube.

Here's my Pacenti last year after swapping out some old, worn Campagnolo stuff that worked but was tired. The wheels have subsequently been updated to Pacenti Forza with Wheels Mfg. hubs from Ergott Intergalactic Industries. The 5800 stuff is rock solid.

Same bike a few years ago with Campagnolo 10-speed. I like both setups equally but I will admit I might like the Campagnolo 10-speed levers with the Deda shallow drop bars a bit more than the Zero 100s. My hands fit the 10-speed levers and the Deda shallows nearly perfectly.

Yours was the first I saw when I went looking for info...which lead me to a locked post across the hall and some other nonsense...all good though...interwebs are what they are...your write up has/had me excited to get out on mine when it arrives!

cadence90
09-21-2017, 09:52 PM
I don't know anything about Pacenti frames, but the two posted here look very nice. Were they all sub-contracted? If so, who built them?

Clean39T
09-21-2017, 10:40 PM
I don't know anything about Pacenti frames, but the two posted here look very nice. Were they all sub-contracted? If so, who built them?

Don't know. The one I have coming was painted by Curt Goodrich, but that doesn't mean he built it. If it was Co-Motion, that's cool too - they do good work. Or maybe that's who Kirk was planning to have build them if he did production frames? It sounds like the ones that are around were maybe done one-off with tubing he had on hand or some such. Some mysteries are better left unsolved - I think I'm fine not knowing :p

Clean39T
09-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Pacenti arrived today. Welds are extremely nice. Paint is deep and rich. And it's just under 1,800g w all hardware - which seems not too bad given it's a bigger size, custom painted, and traditional geometry. The tubing is definitely oversized and there's a seatpost shim pulling it down to 27.2. I'll get the crown race on tomorrow and start building if there's time.

cadence90
09-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Pacenti arrived today. Welds are extremely nice. Paint is deep and rich. And it's just under 1,800g w all hardware - which seems not too bad given it's a bigger size, custom painted, and traditional geometry. The tubing is definitely oversized and there's a seatpost shim pulling it down to 27.2. I'll get the crown race on tomorrow and start building if there's time.
I look forward to seeing this built.
What tubing did KP use?

Clean39T
09-24-2017, 10:32 PM
I look forward to seeing this built.
What tubing did KP use?

No idea on the tubing. I'll take some detailed shots though and some measurements, maybe folks can decode it :cool:

CSKeller
09-24-2017, 11:41 PM
Really looking forward to seeing this built...

with Campagnolo I hope! The only way beautiful bikes should be equipped! :)

Clean39T
09-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Really looking forward to seeing this built...

with Campagnolo I hope! The only way beautiful bikes should be equipped! :)

But of course :)

jr59
09-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Nice frame. I've looked at it before.

On my Ellis that you refer to, I have built it many ways. I think the silver looks best, but that's just me.

Go ride the heck out of it.

Kirk Pacenti
09-07-2021, 12:24 PM

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8707/28251500172_69df99a99e_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8119/8658679554_1a2e2747e9_b.jpg

Saab,

I hadn't seen this post before and not sure if you still have the bike, but I thought you'd like this link.

It's a review of that very frame, iirc.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/pacenti-road-review/

Cheers,
KP

klasse
09-07-2021, 12:43 PM
Wow, great looking bike, bet it rides great. Would like to see more of these! Thanks, Kirk, for posting.

username
09-07-2021, 01:11 PM
Wow, great looking bike, bet it rides great. Would like to see more of these! Thanks, Kirk, for posting.

This is a classic of the genre.

saab2000
09-09-2021, 03:28 PM
Nice! Actually I have seen the article. I no longer have this bike and I hope the current steward is enjoying it as much as I did. It was very nice and had no faults. But in my efforts to downsize my fleet it was sold.

I hope the current owner sees this and can give a report!

19wisconsin64
02-27-2023, 05:54 PM
Hi All, Luckily, I was the member who purchased this amazing frame. Have to say, it's probably the most perfect steel frame I've ever owned, and by far the most perfectly made and perfectly painted!

After riding it maybe a thousand or two as a fixie (properly set up with custom-spaced rear hub spacing) I will be selling this soon in the classified section.

Will be selling this for what I purchased it for (which wasn't much!!) plus the cost of the fancy headset I installed. Will post photos of the frame/fork/headset in the next month or so when it warms up for outside photos.

As a bike, it rides flawlessly and fast! And it's the most beautiful frame I've ever seen.

Thinning the herd, so will be selling this. Still have my steel SLX Davidson, and my early 80's Motobecane Jubilee Sport.......both not as fast as the Pacenti , but then again neither am I !

Cheers, Dave