PDA

View Full Version : tiny test

ada@prorider.or
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
i did a tiny oxygen test today
we came up with something suprising ,need to do more research on it but with tiny adjustment i could ride
200 ml /min less in one postion then the other
this means at 2.5 liter where i did the test
12.5% wich i find huge gain
here we talk about metabole effciency

well it was a tiny test but still it was suprising
all with rer 1

pale scotsman
09-12-2006, 07:01 PM
All I know is that a few minutes of oxygen will make a workday hangover a lot more tolerable. Don't ask how I know...

Too Tall
09-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Cees, are you refering to Total air Volume or even something similar in relation to position on a TT bicycle? The "low and wide" TT position is what comes to mind. You could do a test...I suppose using a spirometer while a rider is in various TT positions however from what little I know the volume of air we breat in and out during heavy exercise is not something you can change. If you think hard about this it makes sense why...despite any body position you twist yourself into you are still able to breath in and out the same amt. of atmosphere...well very nearly...effectively the same.

What are you trying to achieve?

ada@prorider.or
09-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Cees, are you refering to Total air Volume or even something similar in relation to position on a TT bicycle? The "low and wide" TT position is what comes to mind. You could do a test...I suppose using a spirometer while a rider is in various TT positions however from what little I know the volume of air we breat in and out during heavy exercise is not something you can change. If you think hard about this it makes sense why...despite any body position you twist yourself into you are still able to breath in and out the same amt. of atmosphere...well very nearly...effectively the same.

What are you trying to achieve?

well i measure the vo2/voco2 with rer 1 as point of referance
i try to detremine where is most effiency on the bike regarding position
hence the less oxygen you need the better you are for the same rer 1 at least that my guess if you know a reason why it should be differant please let me know
i used a more advanced macine then a spirometer
i used something thats counts evry breath and its volume of gasses
and test was done live out out doors in reallife

Too Tall
09-13-2006, 07:49 AM
OK, it makes more sense now. Position on the bike does affect ability to in hale / exhale and will give different numbers for apparent efficiency. Nothing new here. Everyone who has ever worked on their TT position finds a balance between a position that lets you breath well and is aerodynamic AND is comfortable...you can not get all three ;(

However, what is "in real life" mean? I am familiar with a standard "cart" setup for measuring gasses. Are you using something that is portable / backpack?

ada@prorider.or
09-13-2006, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=Too Tall;

However, what is "in real life" mean? I am familiar with a standard "cart" setup for measuring gasses. Are you using something that is portable / backpack?[/QUOTE]
i used back pack so portable
tiny thing

does gps too

we try to optimize the angle and sitting postion also reagrding the aerodynamics in racing and tt

as i said i this tiny test i could see a differance in 200 ml
and i find this huge for a tiny differant position
i did not especialy looked at aerodynamics but the postion
from my vieuw was more aerodymamic
but the test was more about normal racing position
too see or we could find a parameter to find the effiency
with out aerodynamics involved

Too Tall
09-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Clever method....you are working up a model for positioning based on air speed and altitude??? Brother, you are suuuuch a geek ;)

ada@prorider.or
09-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Clever method....you are working up a model for positioning based on air speed and altitude??? Brother, you are suuuuch a geek ;)

well we try to optimize almost evry component of cycling

except do not want to do anything with doping

zap
09-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Everyone who has ever worked on their TT position finds a balance between a position that lets you breath well and is aerodynamic AND is comfortable...you can not get all three ;(

I believe you can.

zeroking17
09-13-2006, 10:34 AM
So are you wearing an oxygen mask while riding? Do you have any photos of the test or the testing equipment?

Climb01742
09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
a photo of the position would be very interesting, if possible.

ada@prorider.or
09-13-2006, 11:10 AM
foto

bostondrunk
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Here ya go climbo. the trick is to keep your arms nice and wide:

And don't forget the proper hair gel for aerodynamics. Tres important!!

Too Tall
09-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Cees, you geek you ;) Love it.

Brian Smith
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Cees -
keep going, that is excellent and also entertaining.

Jason E
09-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Love that helmet!