PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bracket Cutout (relief) Protection for Campy UT

IFRider
09-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Folks,

Building up my first steel frame with a bottom bracket cutout (kentileguy's Kirk Terraplane). I am moving the Campy 10 speed/Athena Compact UT group over from my Waterford RS-22. The RS-22 did not have a cutout and the Athena UT bottom bracket is a UT record (no seals). As per Old Potatoe advice, I greased the snot out of the bearing and cups before install. I also greased the BB axle/hirth joint but I am wondering what people do regarding the BB Cutouts. Old school BB I had used a plastic sleeve. What is recommended or am I over thinking this?

Thanks

Warren

FlashUNC
09-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Over thinking it. Got UT on my Della Santa with no issues.

Hindmost
09-18-2017, 07:14 PM
I am a fan of seals on an ultra torque bottom bracket if there's a chance for stuff to enter the bottom bracket itself. Probably not critical but I sleep better at night.

cadence90
09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
....the Athena UT bottom bracket is a UT record (no seals)....
Unless Campagnolo changed them recently, Record/Chorus/Athena U-T cups do have seals, and the only Campa U-T cups that come without seals are Super Record.
I am a fan of seals on an ultra torque bottom bracket if there's a chance for stuff to enter the bottom bracket itself. Probably not critical but I sleep better at night.
This.
Even on Super Record U-T cups I use the seals from Record/Chorus U-T cups.

ultraman6970
09-18-2017, 07:29 PM
You can use a plastic BB sleeve the problem is that not all of them will pass the UT axle, so you have find one that will, remember the shimano dura ace did because ive used it my old faithfull a few years back.

THe other thing you can do is to make one out of plastic, just cut a rectagle and make a cyclinder out of that.

Another option is to just use aluminum A/C tape and cover the cut out with that, mentioning that tape because sticks as good as duct tape.

U have to get creative with what you have at home, but I would cover that hole the best you could, u dont want anything getting inside.

oldpotatoe
09-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Folks,

Building up my first steel frame with a bottom bracket cutout (kentileguy's Kirk Terraplane). I am moving the Campy 10 speed/Athena Compact UT group over from my Waterford RS-22. The RS-22 did not have a cutout and the Athena UT bottom bracket is a UT record (no seals). As per Old Potatoe advice, I greased the snot out of the bearing and cups before install. I also greased the BB axle/hirth joint but I am wondering what people do regarding the BB Cutouts. Old school BB I had used a plastic sleeve. What is recommended or am I over thinking this?

Thanks

Warren

You can one of these and then a layer of tape on the outside to seal the holes..it's the BB guide for EPS.

IFRider
09-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Appreciate the feedback. I will order the sleeve OP suggested and seal with aluminum tape. I am also going to try to find the UT seals.

Warren