PDA

View Full Version : Setting up tubeless - rim tape width?

Clancy
09-18-2017, 10:47 AM
I've set-up a dozen or more sets of wheels tubeless without any real issues until now. I taped a set of Reynolds ATR and have quite a bit of air leaking all around the rim, very little but more than what I believe it should.

One rim taped up perfectly, the other is giving me fits. Panaracer Gravelkings SK tubeless ready tires.

Looking closer than I have in the past, I noticed the bed where the tire beads sits or pops into. It's well defined with a small ridge line than a shallow bed than the rim edge or wall.

I've always placed the tape (usually Stan's) so that it covers the entire rim, from edge to edge, so that the tire sits on top of the tape.

I'm now wondering if I would get a better seal l if I taped only the exposed nipple holes, in other words from edge of one ridge line to the other, the middle of the rim bed, rather than edge to edge. This would allow the tire to sit on the rim directly.

But, even if this is ideal, I cannot find any tubeless tape that narrow. The narrowest is the same width as the inside of the rim.

Am I thinking too hard?

sandyrs
09-18-2017, 10:48 AM
You should definitely tape across the whole rim bed.