PDA

View Full Version : Knog Lights?

CDollarsign
09-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Whats the consensus? I am looking at upgrading my front and rear lighting situation. I doubt I will be riding at night - probably dusk only. Don't really think I need a spotlight up front.

The knog stuff seems well designed and not clunky...

simonov
09-18-2017, 09:20 AM
I'd look elsewhere. All my knog stuff has failed, either the batteries, the electronics, or the straps.

fmradio516
09-18-2017, 09:30 AM
+1

timto
09-18-2017, 09:45 AM
I tried one of the more premium front lights - the light all of a sudden stopped turning 'off' after about a few weeks of use..

kppolich
09-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Good lights IMO, and if the strap breaks then they have replaced all of mine. No receipt necessary. Just takes a while to get your replacement from Australia.

Drmojo
I'd look elsewhere. All my knog stuff has failed, either the batteries, the electronics, or the straps.

I have had 7 or 8 over the years
no more for mojo
expeensive batteries hard to find

MesiJezi
I've had one of the older style knog blinder rear lights for about 5 years now in the PNW. It's the one with 4 red LEDs in a square pattern on the back and is USB rechargeable. It's bright, holds a charge, and has a secure mount. One of the LEDs failed about a month ago though, so now I'm down to 3. I love this light and would recommend it to anyone.

So that's why I was surprised when...

I bought one of their headlights, the Blinder Arc 200, and it was a total POS. It took forever to charge, couldn't hold a charge, and the mount was unable to support the weight of the light so it would constantly rotate around the bars. Eventually the rubber snapped. At that point the light was almost unusable anyway because it would take a whole day to charge and it would run for 15 minutes.

Instead I would recommend something from light and motion urban series for a headlamp. The reviews speak for themselves!

veggieburger
09-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Rear - Planet Bike Superflash Turbo. Excellent light for the price, IMO!

tuxbailey
09-18-2017, 10:27 AM
rear - planet bike superflash turbo. Excellent light for the price, imo!

+1

cpamplin
09-18-2017, 11:03 AM
I've had good luck with my Knog lights. Use them and a Light & Motion Urban/Vis combo:

Blinder Mob V "Mr Chips" rear light 5 days/week for almost 3 years, looks good, decent battery life on blink mode, zero issues. Rubber straps have held up well while my L&M straps keep snapping (good lights but I've gone through 3 straps and won't be buying a 4th)

Knog Blinder Mob "The Face" front light also a good 'be seen' light but not as nice looking, haven't used it as much because it doesn't fit my bars very well with the way my cables are taped.

Highly recommend the Knog rear light. L&M Urban 800 is a better front light for riding in the dark.

FlashUNC
09-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Had good success with Knog generally, but if you want a "to see" light for the front rather than be seen, Lezyne makes some killer headlights.

cderalow
09-18-2017, 12:02 PM
I find the straps are always the weak point. having snapped 3 now.

I've been investing more in the cygolite stuff lately.

a metro 400, dash 320, and now a new pair of small brick ones.

totaling around 900 lumens up front between the three, and 150 lumen off three lights in the back

velofinds
09-18-2017, 12:33 PM
My Knog strap failed I'm sad to report. Light was mounted low and it was snowing so I didn't even find out I lost my expensive light until well after the fact. The stuff is very nicely designed but I wouldn't purchase another one of their products.

merckx
09-18-2017, 12:38 PM
I've used a Blinder for front daytime visibility for two years. It gets pressed into service daily. No issues with charging, holding a charge, or strap breakage.

rccardr
09-18-2017, 01:04 PM
I like the two LED rubber covered strap on unit for the front. Four modes, takes a pair of CR2032 batteries, which I buy in boxes of 50 for under twn bucks. Last 12-18 months, about 5-7500 miles. I mostly use mine in double blink mode, get 6-8 hours per set of batteries. Bottom line: I'm a fan.

In back use either a PB Turbo or the Trek equivalent. Takes two AAA batteries, good for about two months of use.

Llewellyn
09-18-2017, 05:04 PM
All of the ones I've had have never held a charge for anywhere near as long as their marketing claims. I had to charge it after every ride to guarantee that it would last through the next ride. Never buying another one. There's much better options out there.

rst72
09-27-2017, 02:35 PM
interesting...

https://www.knog.com.au/bike-lights/pwr-range.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCk18g8P2zk&t=4s

merckxman
09-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Strap failed. Knog never replied to warranty claim or emails. Bought it thru Amazon which replaced it. 2nd one: strap failed. I did move it from bike to bike but surely less than 50 transfers. If you are using among several bikes I don't recommend it.

Walter
09-28-2017, 08:31 AM
I tried the brand once...multiple straps broke.

disspence
09-28-2017, 09:32 AM
I've had USB rechargeable front and year lights for the past 3+ years. Still going strong, and never an issue with the straps even though I switch them from bike to bike.

Climb01742
09-28-2017, 09:41 AM
Any thoughts on Portland Design Works rear lights? I'm looking at something like their Red Planet for a little extra daylight visibility/protection?

rst72
09-28-2017, 09:53 AM
I've had one strap break after a lot of use, but the road blinder came with an additional strap...good there.

I never leave lights on the bike after use...I always remove to get extra life out of the strap.

I also drain the battery completely after each use before I recharge...never had an issue there as well.

pdmtong
09-28-2017, 12:32 PM
I have a knog blinder 4v in the rear for my occasional dusk/night riding. ...works fine no issues battery or strap.

Will probably go to a cygolite hotshot 150 for day time riding.

I use LM urban for the front.

bitpuddle
09-29-2017, 12:28 AM
Every Knog light I have bought has broken. They are better with design than materials.

I’ve had good luck with a few of the Lezyle lights, though.

CDollarsign
09-29-2017, 05:54 AM
I bought knog Mr Chips lights despite your warnings. Will update will and if they fail.

Keith A
09-29-2017, 10:08 AM
interesting...

https://www.knog.com.au/bike-lights/pwr-range.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCk18g8P2zk&t=4sYes, these do look interesting.