PDA

View Full Version : OT: Latest addition to the fleet

weisan
09-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Just bought this off an old gentleman today: 1991 Buick Park Avenue. Has 84k miles.

http://alicehui.com/family/buick/buick3.jpg

http://alicehui.com/family/buick/buick12.jpg

http://alicehui.com/family/buick/buick7.jpg

http://alicehui.com/family/buick/buick9.jpg

jtakeda
09-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Ready for a 90s rap album cover

m_sasso
09-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Yes, it has the "rap" around dash alright!

Looks like the front end has been waked, does it drive straight?

weisan
09-18-2017, 05:15 AM
I am more of a 80s kinda guy, will that work?

Yeah, not exactly sure what happened but the front end got hit and took out the condenser so no a/c. It does drive straight. The front struts need to be replaced at some point. The wife and kids jumped in and the first thing they noted is how comfortable the seats were, like going to the cinema.

Joking aside, this car is for my two high schoolers to drive to school. I am kinda torn, currently they both ride their bikes to school but it's getting to the point that they are carrying too much stuff because of their extra curricular activities and having to go early and stay late at school for other involvements. I asked my 17-yr-old whether she will be too embarrassed to drive this old timer to school, and she said, "no dad, it's a CLASSIC!"

tuxbailey
09-18-2017, 10:52 AM
It is no joke that the bikes around here are worth much more than the owners' cars.

velofinds
09-18-2017, 12:28 PM
What would be the bike equivalent of this car?

jghall
09-18-2017, 12:35 PM
I asked my 17-yr-old whether she will be too embarrassed to drive this old timer to school, and she said, "no dad, it's a CLASSIC!"

Your daughter has a great attitude, so congrats on raising her well. Sure many would not say the same.

ultraman6970
09-18-2017, 12:36 PM
My case :D my minivan is so busted that worth maybe 200 bucks :D

It is no joke that the bikes around here are worth much more than the owners' cars.

RobJ
09-18-2017, 12:39 PM
your daughter has a great attitude, so congrats on raising her well. Sure many would not say the same.

+1

azrider
09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
What would be the bike equivalent of this car?

https://images.craigslist.org/00i0i_6vwZZQfG7qb_1200x900.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
60/40 split FTW.

Your daughter and I have something in common. My first car had that same car phone. :banana:

makoti
09-18-2017, 12:55 PM
I had one of these. Got it from an uncle. It got great MPG on the hwy, upwards of 30. I was surprised how much I liked that land yacht.
I have to warn you about something that happened, though.
I parked it at the airport for a trip, came home, car was stone dead. Ok, it was old. Then, one day while it was sitting out in front of my house, everything in the car turned itself on. Headlights, dash, dome, all of it. I had to start the car to turn it all off. The power trunk stopped closing fully. Every electrical item seemed to go crazy. Something like that can run you thousands to track down. I'm going to save you all that, if it ever happens to you. There is a solenoid behind the dash that goes bad. It was what was causing my issues. They weren't separate issues. It was all that one solenoid. Sadly, I am car-ignorant, so I can't tell you more than that, but when I told my car guy about it, he told me how lucky I was because someone else had just spent big bucks to track down the problem and now they knew where to look.
And now you know.

KJMUNC
09-18-2017, 01:00 PM
As a high schooler what's not to love? Bench seats and a classic 80's floor mounted car phone!

ColonelJLloyd
09-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Shift knob is missing; perfect place for her to put her personal touch.

54ny77
09-18-2017, 01:14 PM
LOVE that car!

My father-in-law had one ("had" being an operative word, which you'll see why below). I drove it often. In fact that was our car for a year or two when we first moved into NYC. Yes, we parked that boat on city streets every day. It also saved my wife's bacon when some idiot decided to pull out in front of her. That Honda minivan was THRASHED, and I mean the entire side was wrecked. Damage to the Buick? A little scuff on the bumper. That's it. NYPD traffic cop offered to buy the car on the spot. No joke!

Take Makoti's advice to have the electrical checked out. Reason: my FIL's car burned to the ground one afternoon, right in the driveway. Electrical fire in the dash.

It was a sad ending to a great & otherwise supposedly indestructible vehicle.

:banana:

I had one of these. Got it from an uncle. It got great MPG on the hwy, upwards of 30. I was surprised how much I liked that land yacht.
I have to warn you about something that happened, though.
I parked it at the airport for a trip, came home, car was stone dead. Ok, it was old. Then, one day while it was sitting out in front of my house, everything in the car turned itself on. Headlights, dash, dome, all of it. I had to start the car to turn it all off. The power trunk stopped closing fully. Every electrical item seemed to go crazy. Something like that can run you thousands to track down. I'm going to save you all that, if it ever happens to you. There is a solenoid behind the dash that goes bad. It was what was causing my issues. They weren't separate issues. It was all that one solenoid. Sadly, I am car-ignorant, so I can't tell you more than that, but when I told my car guy about it, he told me how lucky I was because someone else had just spent big bucks to track down the problem and now they knew where to look.
And now you know.

weisan
09-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the tip about the solenoid and potential electrical issues. That's one thing that I noticed about this car is just the ridiculous and unnecessary amount of electric-powered buttons and dashboard indicators on board.
I prefer this any day:
http://admin.sgpetch.co.uk/admin/system-content/part_images/Hyundai/i10/Window_Winder_large.jpg

I have heard good things about the engine though.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/537/921/26340460002_large.jpg

54ny77
09-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes that 3800 will last a generation or two.

Cicli
09-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Ballin’ on a budget.

I love it.

2metalhips
09-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Throw ABBA in the cassette deck and you're good to go! ;)

FlashUNC
09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
What's the old joke, a General Motors car will run longer badly than most cars will run at all.

I would say that looks like a rough 84,000 for that one, but basically all GM cars look like that.

cnighbor1
09-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Florida
When I was there many years ago a lot of cars like that FS
when seniors move to FL they buy one last car and put little miles on it
Than sell it when they can't drive anymore
Lots of great buys

DreaminJohn
09-19-2017, 08:14 AM
The ultimate Lead Sled. They literally don't make them like this any more.

Dad put 227k on his '91 before donating it. He thought is wasn't worth replacing the exhaust. As mentioned above, that 3800 will last forever and also desirable if you do your own wrenching.

I wish your family many happy and safe miles.

AngryScientist
09-19-2017, 08:16 AM
that looks like the perfect car for a newish high schooler. good score.