PDA

View Full Version : Paint crack at BB lug Look KG281 or ???

Clean39T
09-17-2017, 03:50 PM
I picked this up off the Bay primarily for the R10 group and wheels, planning to resell the frameset, post, HS, pedals as a group here on the cheap (in order to ride it myself I'd have to find a 3cm longer post).

But in the inspection, I found these flaws:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/4f3cc0359cecdba8a0bb87a94d782be1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/f9c016930d1a10158b6492c136fde758.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/137211e4790439e4c10dea4e619f3d8b.jpg

The chain catcher situation is obvious, but is that likely paint cracking or a joint problem?

It's otherwise in great shape with only minor chips here and there...but if those cracks kill the value, that's not cool.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/88ecfeab83768c84abf6ddf68bcb1d59.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/848615875d857cf6720d9953db0f6d49.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/d918448dd5df2c8bc3559e214f3a4a37.jpg

echelon_john
09-17-2017, 04:23 PM
100% return it.

Clean39T
09-17-2017, 04:27 PM
100% return it.

That was my gut feeling. Such a shame. I was hoping it'd be a fun find and the group is flawless.

Clean39T
09-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Hmm, have read some info saying the paint cracking at the lug junction is fairly normal. But the ripped off chain catcher isn't, and the seller should have shown/noted both in the ad (I'm getting really tired of buying anywhere other than here...).

If someone wants this for $300 shipped CONUS, it'd save me the eBay return hassle.

weisan
09-17-2017, 09:45 PM
I have a 281 as well. 1999 Yours actually looks pretty good for a 18-year-old bike.

Clean39T
09-17-2017, 09:56 PM
I have a 281 as well. 1999 Yours actually looks pretty good for a 18-year-old bike.

So the paint or whatever wouldn't bother you?

I didn't think I'd be able to find a 25x300 post, but they seem to exist, so I could put some miles in on this if structurally sound.

Dadoflam
09-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Hi
Agree the movement in the lugs doesn't look too good but I might be able to help you here - I am building up a replica of Stuart O'Grady's Team Credit Agricole Team bike.
Wondering if you have the threaded steerer version fork with an adaptor there rather than the threadless HSC fork as I cant see the HSC decal (?)
I need the threaded steerer version for my project and if you have one there I would be willing to consider buying the whole frameset to get the fork if the frame is big enough.
Let me know what the fork is and what the frameset size is

ultraman6970
09-17-2017, 11:04 PM
BTW the small chainring is installed backwards?

Put some oil in there and see if it leaks inside, probably it wont. As for the chain catcher, looks like originally was glued? makes sense and there is a chance the seller did not even know about it either. Seen a few of those 281 at ebay being sold with the same like paint issue in the BB. Carbon was different back in the day too.. and if that thing is cracked it would be creaking like crazy, doubt it is.

BMC had a similar problem in a couple of frames, one was the high end one and in like 2007 road racer, THe good thing for BMC was that the joint was flush and they issued a statement showing that was not a crack, with the road racer well they swapped a bunch of frames in perfect condition.

op. you can just ask for a 100 or 200 back and call it a day? then flip for almost nothing here??

Clean39T
09-17-2017, 11:18 PM
Hi
Agree the movement in the lugs doesn't look too good but I might be able to help you here - I am building up a replica of Stuart O'Grady's Team Credit Agricole Team bike.
Wondering if you have the threaded steerer version fork with an adaptor there rather than the threadless HSC fork as I cant see the HSC decal (?)
I need the threaded steerer version for my project and if you have one there I would be willing to consider buying the whole frameset to get the fork if the frame is big enough.
Let me know what the fork is and what the frameset size is

It's threadless and fully carbon - which I think means it's the HSC.

Do you already have the Ergo-post?

Clean39T
09-17-2017, 11:22 PM
BTW the small chainring is installed backwards?

Put some oil in there and see if it leaks inside, probably it wont. As for the chain catcher, looks like originally was glued? makes sense and there is a chance the seller did not even know about it either. Seen a few of those 281 at ebay being sold with the same like paint issue in the BB. Carbon was different back in the day too.. and if that thing is cracked it would be creaking like crazy, doubt it is.

BMC had a similar problem in a couple of frames, one was the high end one and in like 2007 road racer, THe good thing for BMC was that the joint was flush and they issued a statement showing that was not a crack, with the road racer well they swapped a bunch of frames in perfect condition.

op. you can just ask for a 100 or 200 back and call it a day? then flip for almost nothing here??

Thank you for the info. I'm trying to settle it with the seller. I'd be fine getting some money back and passing this on to someone else with a "full disclosure" on the paint/hanger, etc. The group and wheels are in fantastic condition. As is the headset and pretty much everything else. It's really cool to see what the tech was like on these back in the day. Are these really alloy lugs though? The paint is chipped around the seatpost insertion a bit, and it looks like all carbon up there...

ultraman6970
09-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Sent you an email with an idea... just trying to manipulate you hehehehe :D

From what I know, yes those are alloy lugs, that's why the bike is not super light either, easier to built than monocoque too, if you want to go custom just cut to fit and good to go :D

Oh you see black in the seatpost lug, by best guess is that probably look anodized or threated the lugs with another material on top to avoid contact between AL and carbon??? Colnago had nighmares when the c40s started getting problems due to AL oxidation...

Clean39T
09-17-2017, 11:47 PM
Too bad I can't read French that well: https://pyfrides.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/cat-2001.pdf

But I can make out that it has SLT aluminum lugs :)

ultraman6970
09-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Look used to make super nice shoes, too bad they took them off the line up.

Clean39T
09-18-2017, 12:22 AM

I'd forgotten Vaughters rode for Credit Agricole back in the day too..

Clean39T
09-18-2017, 12:43 AM

I'd forgotten Vaughters rode for Credit Agricole back in the day too..

zzy
09-18-2017, 12:50 AM

http://www.hanon-shop.com/the-blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/1622097_1_WEB_800pix.jpg
More here: http://www.hanon-shop.com/the-blog/le-coq-sportif-x-look/

gaucho753
09-18-2017, 01:02 AM
I had a Look KG86 frame fail at the bonded BB lug. (One way to tell: If you stand on the pedals and bounce up and down a bit, the front derailleur will move.) Your bond doesn't appear to have fully separated, but it may just be a matter of time. I wouldn't take my chances.

Speaking of Look shoes:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4340/37298393405_764e6a1d9f_b.jpg

Dadoflam
09-18-2017, 01:42 AM
It's threadless and fully carbon - which I think means it's the HSC.

Do you already have the Ergo-post?

That's a pity about the fork - thanks for looking
I do have the seatpost - Bellatisport still has them in stock in both gloss and matt finish. Cheaper than many are trying to sell them on Ebay.
The frame lugs are alloy.
The chain catcher comprises a plastic button with a small screw

rustychisel
09-18-2017, 03:05 AM
Following the conversation... I almost bought one of S O'Grady's team bikes, but by then it would have been a 386 and the deal never happened.

There was a Credit Agricole 281 featured in an early edition of Ride Magazine, and Stuey's father Brian rode one through the Adelaide Hills for many years. I saw another ex-Stuey bike being used as a commuter by a guy on Magill Road a few years ago, stopped the car to help a guy with a puncture and did a 'wait a moment... I know that bike'.

weisan
09-18-2017, 05:30 AM
So the paint or whatever wouldn't bother you.

No, not on this one. I would ride it.

ultraman6970
09-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Oh those steel looks from back in the day, those are in my bucket list, bad not many around and are super hard to find.

Clean39T
09-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Oh those steel looks from back in the day, those are in my bucket list, bad not many around and are super hard to find.

I had one circa '03 - sold it to a guy because of financial difficulties - then accidentally bought it back after it had been repainted - was kind of funny, I responded to a CL ad for a brown steel bike, and when I was driving over to pick it up, I was like "hey, this looks familiar..." and sure enough, same basement I delivered the Look to 3 years prior. That bike rode really nicely, but was again released in a drive to N=1 back in the mid-00s.

drewellison
09-18-2017, 11:33 AM
I've got a KG381Team I bought from a forumite a year or two ago. Around both of the headtube lugs, there is a hairline crack all the way around where the top tube and downtube enter the lug. It is literally hairline in width and all the way around both lugs, so I believe mine to simply be paint cracking. The frame is pretty flexy after all, so I've gotta think mine is simply the paint behind less flexible than the frame. I've got no creaking or any unusual movement beyond just being a flexible frame, which I like very much, BTW.

I pointed this out to the seller (CaptStash) when I inspected the frame prior to buying it, and he offered that if it were a problem, he'd take the frame back. So kudos to TPL forumites and their up-rightness!

Dadoflam
09-19-2017, 07:09 AM
Following the conversation... I almost bought one of S O'Grady's team bikes, but by then it would have been a 386 and the deal never happened.

There was a Credit Agricole 281 featured in an early edition of Ride Magazine, and Stuey's father Brian rode one through the Adelaide Hills for many years. I saw another ex-Stuey bike being used as a commuter by a guy on Magill Road a few years ago, stopped the car to help a guy with a puncture and did a 'wait a moment... I know that bike'.

Stuart's been very helpful with this project - although he is definitely a give me a bike and I will ride it kind of guy and doesn't sweat the bike details as much as some. This one will appear at the 20th anniversary Legends dinner for Tour Downunder 2018 - Stuey won the inaugural edition on it. But I digress..