PDA

View Full Version : Force CX1 vs 22 spider

sowestport
09-17-2017, 07:54 AM
It seems to be the same. Please confirm.

I would like to get a CX1 crankset and convert for use on a 22 drivetrain. Then I have the option to go 1x in the future.

BTW, I already have 50/34 chainrings and I see some deals on Force cx1 cranksets.

loxx0050
09-17-2017, 09:02 AM
They spiders are not the same I believe. For CX1 it is optimised for the chainline to accommodate the 1x setup (located somewhere in between a double setup iirc). I did buy a Force 1X crank and it didn't seem like you could go double on the spider. But I never bothered because I immediately swapped out the spider with another one as I was changing crank lengths.

Edit:. Both spiders are interchangeable though if that is what you meant by the same.

sowestport
09-17-2017, 10:16 AM
They spiders are not the same I believe. For CX1 it is optimised for the chainline to accommodate the 1x setup (located somewhere in between a double setup iirc). I did buy a Force 1X crank and it didn't seem like you could go double on the spider. But I never bothered because I immediately swapped out the spider with another one as I was changing crank lengths.

Edit:. Both spiders are interchangeable though if that is what you meant by the same.

Hmmmm? Still may not be the answer. I do use the CX1 chainrings on my standard 10/11 speed SRAM cranks. The CX1 chainring does setup somewhere in between the small and large rings, but perhaps not the optimum as the cx1 specific crankset?

So I was wondering if the spider of the CX1 crankset had the ability to mount an inner and outer chainring. Being off by a 1 or 2mm in chainline is okay with me.

loxx0050
09-17-2017, 11:24 AM
So I was wondering if the spider of the CX1 crankset had the ability to mount an inner and outer chainring. Being off by a 1 or 2mm in chainline is okay with me.

I don't think that is possible to mount 2 chainrings on a 1x spider. The profile for the bolt pads only is such to seat only 1 chainring I believe.

Just buy another spider they can be had for $25-35 (used or new). That is the beauty of the Force setup. Can swap spiders and can use non-proprietary tools to do so.

sowestport
09-17-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't think that is possible to mount 2 chainrings on a 1x spider. The profile for the bolt pads only is such to seat only 1 chainring I believe.

Just buy another spider they can be had for $25-35 (used or new). That is the beauty of the Force setup. Can swap spiders and can use non-proprietary tools to do so.

Thanks to you. I went looking and found on JensenUSA.

I guess the cranksets of the CX1 and 22 are the same except for spider and chainring(s)?

loxx0050
09-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Yes, the arms are exactly the same between Force 1X and 22.

sowestport
09-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Yes, the arms are exactly the same between Force 1X and 22.

Kewl!