PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo ergo shifters gone floppy?

acorn_user
09-16-2017, 01:54 PM
So I thought I felt something escaping my shifters at the end of my ride this morning, and the right hand down shift lever i snow quite floppy. I can still shift, but the movement is not as precise. It looks like the part that went next to the top of the shift lever is now gone.

Is this repairable? These are 1999 9 speed Veloce shifters and I'm quite attached to them :)

FlashUNC
09-16-2017, 02:05 PM
G springs and carrier are shot. Time to replace those bits.

cmbicycles
09-16-2017, 02:36 PM
G springs and carrier are shot. Time to replace those bits.
Likely this is the issue. I doubt you lost any pieces out of the shifter, but anything is possible. You can fix it yourself if you are so inclined, send it to someone like OldPotatoe on the forum here to have him rebuild it for you, or take it to a reputable shop,

acorn_user
09-16-2017, 02:52 PM
As simple as that? Sounds good to me. The thing that through me was that there was a sudden change in how it felt. It does also look slightly different to the shifters I have that feel "right". It's even still rideable, just vague. In fact, just like the ones on my cross bike...

Black Dog
09-16-2017, 02:59 PM
As simple as that? Sounds good to me. The thing that through me was that there was a sudden change in how it felt. It does also look slightly different to the shifters I have that feel "right". It's even still rideable, just vague. In fact, just like the ones on my cross bike...

Yup as simple as that. Textbook presentation of springs and carrier needing to be replaced. The sudden softness was the carrier letting go.

jemoryl
09-16-2017, 03:04 PM
When you say the lever went soft do you mean the thumb button or the other lever? Because if it is the latter, there is a spring that can fall out (EC-RE-137 on 10 speed stuff from the mid 2000s) and cause the shifting to larger cogs to be tricky to impossible. That spring is quite easy to replace. The thumb button will still work OK - if that goes soft it it probably the g-springs.

rwsaunders
09-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Remove and mail to Old Potatoe.

campy man
09-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Remove and mail to Old Potatoe.

Ding, ding, ding ... do this :beer:

oldpotatoe
09-17-2017, 07:35 AM
So I thought I felt something escaping my shifters at the end of my ride this morning, and the right hand down shift lever i snow quite floppy. I can still shift, but the movement is not as precise. It looks like the part that went next to the top of the shift lever is now gone.

Is this repairable? These are 1999 9 speed Veloce shifters and I'm quite attached to them :)

Shift springs and maybe spring carrier split. Send it to me for a one day turnaround..take apart, lube clean..any parts.

Labor is $25 per, plus parts-shift springs $6 per(2 of them), maybe spring carrier..I have all the shifter innards...1992 thru 2017 shifters..

cp51errc@gmail.com

acorn_user
09-18-2017, 07:38 AM
When you say the lever went soft do you mean the thumb button or the other lever? Because if it is the latter, there is a spring that can fall out (EC-RE-137 on 10 speed stuff from the mid 2000s) and cause the shifting to larger cogs to be tricky to impossible. That spring is quite easy to replace. The thumb button will still work OK - if that goes soft it it probably the g-springs.

I think this is what happened. Thanks for the suggestion!

wallymann
09-18-2017, 07:57 AM
The thing that through me was that there was a sudden change in how it felt.

that's how it goes. if a g-spring goes flaccid it happens quickly. and if a carrier cracks, again it happens quickly.

jemoryl
09-18-2017, 08:30 AM
I think this is what happened. Thanks for the suggestion!

When the EC-RE-137 fell out (I presume it snapped) on my bike (mid 2000s Centaur 10spd lever), I went to shift to a larger cog and the finger lever felt very floppy and had to be pushed forward to get any shifting action at all. Get a Campy parts pdf for ergos from that era and you can see where this spring is, and you should be able to see if it is still there (the 9 and 10 speed parts might even be the same for this - I can't see why they would change it).

To change it, I removed the brake lever from the ergo body by tapping out the pin with a punch and simply sticking the new spring in place with a pair of needle nose pliers. No need to disassemble the mechanism. The hardest part was removing the lever from the bars!

tuxbailey
09-18-2017, 10:36 AM
+1 for old spud. Fast turnaround and the shifter came back like new. Click.Click.Click.