PDA

View Full Version : Awful news from Charlton, MA.

pjbaz
09-16-2017, 10:04 AM
I haven't seen John in probably 25 years, but I worked for his family when I was a kid and they were always wonderful to me. His grandfather, great uncle, and his dad who was my direct boss, all of them. I went to to school with John and his sister - he was 3 years younger than me and I drove them around on occasion (older, with a license and worked for a car dealer so transportation was never an issue haha) when their dad couldn't pick them up because of work.

I'm gutted.

I will ride today with John on my mind and think about how damn lucky we all are. Please be careful.

http://www.telegram.com/news/20170916/police-id-charlton-bike-crash-victim-as-teacher-john-paire

Chris
09-16-2017, 01:44 PM
That's terrible news. I'm sorry for you with your connection. Even more sorry for his family. I'm 46, and I have two young daughters and a wife. I had a bad accident in June that gave me pause. A close friend and partner at work had a very caring talk with me about about how close I could have been to a tragedy like this. Then the next week or so a rider died at the Tour of KC. It gave me pause and I've started doing some other stuff. I don't know that I'll ever get back to the 200+ miles a week riding and racing on the road. I love riding and racing. I've done it since I was 15, but I don't love it more than my family and with the increased risk from distracted drivers, I just don't know that it's worth it to me anymore.

Matthew
09-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Sorry for your loss. Condolences to the family.

jumphigher
09-16-2017, 04:45 PM
I really hate stories like these, so many of them lately. :(

tiretrax
09-16-2017, 07:08 PM
What sad news. My condolences to you and his family. RIP.