PDA

View Full Version : Headphone encounters

Tony
09-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Most recent was today.
I was crossing a bridge with a somewhat narrow path (H st) shared with both pedestrians and cyclists. There was a lady power walking (think American Ninja Warriors) with headphones on. From 30' back I was ringing my bell and as I slowly road behind her was saying "on your left" It looked like she heard me and moved over to the left. I waited and passed between the structures of the bridge. When my front tire passed her she screamed and threw out a spinning back fist, one I think would impress Williams. I was just able to catch it before it hit my face. I was telling her that I was ringing my bell and trying to get her attention while she was bent over, resting her hands on her knees.
After a few seconds she straitened up and was laughing hysterically.

joosttx
09-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Now I see why that guy wanted to carry a gun to protect himself on the MUPs of Sacarmento....

Personally I find these posts lame. Is there any value here. Shall we talk about the rights of bikes on MUP. Or how cyclist are victims. Or how power walkers are entitled SOBs. Please ....

Tony
09-16-2017, 01:29 AM
Now I see why that guy wanted to carry a gun to protect himself on the MUPs of Sacarmento....

Personally I find these posts lame. Is there any value here. Shall we talk about the rights of bikes on MUP. Or how cyclist are victims. Or how power walkers are entitled SOBs. Please ....

Man, you read a lot into this.
Personally I've had no problems outside of a couple loose dogs belonging to homeless camping along the river.

I've startled folks on headphones before however nothing like this. Simply wanted to share an unusual experience, the women was gifted with a fast powerful reflex and a great since of humor. I rode away smiling.

Jgrooms
09-16-2017, 06:02 AM

Lame enough to respond, of course.

I find "on your left" often makes walkers move left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burnette
09-16-2017, 06:40 AM
I don't do multi paths anymore, it's been ten years or more since I've been on one.

We have a nice gravel path about seven miles long around a lake that I use to ride my MTB on. On that trail there are runners, walkers, children and even horses!

Mistakes happen, humans can behave good and bad so the "safe pace" around there for me was too slow to be worth the trip.

Your encounter turned out well, I have seen some where they didn't, not worth it for me. Luckily I prefer the road and have great routes to ride right at home.

jumphigher
09-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Funny story, OP.

I know what you mean about headphone wearers, I try to let them know I'm coming, and I pass slowly, but I still get people jumping sometimes. Personally I'd wanna be more aware of my surroundings when out walking alone. But then again if you're at good spinning backfists, I guess there's no need to worry. :banana:

Tony
09-16-2017, 09:25 AM
I don't do multi paths anymore, it's been ten years or more since I've been on one.

We have a nice gravel path about seven miles long around a lake that I use to ride my MTB on. On that trail there are runners, walkers, children and even horses!

Mistakes happen, humans can behave good and bad so the "safe pace" around there for me was too slow to be worth the trip.

Your encounter turned out well, I have seen some where they didn't, not worth it for me. Luckily I prefer the road and have great routes to ride right at home.

This path/sidewalk is the only way to cross safely, so I thought :) This is one bridge in Sacto you don't want to be on the road with cars as it's narrow and cars are flying over. BTW, I wasn't really on any MUP, traveling on Fair Oaks Blvd heading towards Old Sac.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Lame enough to respond, of course.

I find "on your left" often makes walkers move left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I yell, 'pick a side', after slowing...the 'on your left' confuses too many.

Peter P.
09-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Exactly.

I holler "Heads up!" which usually gets their attention, makes them look, and lets THEM choose where to move.

Vientomas
09-16-2017, 12:54 PM

I too stopped saying "On your left"...people usually move left. But, "Pick a side", that's great! I'm going to start using that. Thanks.

Chris
09-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Love your Williams reference! I wish Hahn wouldn't have killed him so soon.

justindcady
09-18-2017, 10:20 AM
To me, the point of this is that often enough, if you are wearing earbuds/headphones/whatever...you are unable to be as aware of your surroundings as you should be.

chiasticon
09-18-2017, 10:32 AM
if I yell "on your left" and they move left, I'll then follow up with something like "or on your right, I guess!" :bike:

headphones are usually a signal to me to not even bother announcing myself and instead just approach with caution. I have announced myself to headphone wearers before (runners as well as cyclists) and then been scolded by them when I passed for allegedly NOT announcing myself. then they get an earful to turn their friggin' 'phones down so that they can hear such announcements.

it's wild out there, I tell ya. but at least flying punches are easier to defend against than speeding steel death machines, piloted by people staring at their phones. :eek:

Tony
09-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Love your Williams reference! I wish Hahn wouldn't have killed him so soon.

It was a back fist by Han in the beginning that cleared his desk and prompted the remark by Williams " been practicing huh", and the back fist that was his undoing :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJfW7-isPA

MattTuck
09-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I personally feel like if you're wearing headphones, you have given up your right to be surprised by a passing bike.

Too many people in their own little world, with no situational awareness.

Tony, glad you were able to avoid injury. She was lucky, frankly, that you weren't someone who meant to do her harm.

benb
09-18-2017, 11:23 AM
I never seem to have issues with them yelling at me but I hate the headphone thing too. It seems 99% of MUP runners wear them all the time and are super oblivious.

I tend to avoid saying "on your left" though. Most novice runners and novice cyclists/non-cyclists on bikes will inevitably look to their left and veer to the left when they hear that. Really people on bikes are worse about that I think! So I just avoid it cause it makes a dangerous scenario more dangerous.

FlashUNC
09-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Sounds like you need an air horn.

BobO
09-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I personally feel like if you're wearing headphones, you have given up your right to be surprised by a passing bike.

Agreed. Walking, Riding, Driving, whatever, if you place yourself in a potentially dangerous situation while depriving yourself of one of your senses, you get what you get.

Too many people in their own little world, with no situational awareness.

This describes more than just MUPs.

Tony, glad you were able to avoid injury. She was lucky, frankly, that you weren't someone who meant to do her harm.

She's actually quite lucky that our protagonist in the OP didn't call the police. I'm pretty sure that the backhand with intent qualifies as assault and battery.

kevinvc
09-18-2017, 02:05 PM
I agree with the others that "on your left" doesn't work for pedestrians. I've also found that about half of the other cyclists I encounter during my commute don't handle it well either.

I usually loudly say "good morning" or "coming up behind you". It tends to work pretty well unless they're wearing headphones.

rousseau
09-18-2017, 02:41 PM
I agree with the others that "on your left" doesn't work for pedestrians. I've also found that about half of the other cyclists I encounter during my commute don't handle it well either.

I usually loudly say "good morning" or "coming up behind you". It tends to work pretty well unless they're wearing headphones.
I've never understood the "on your left" thing. The few occasions I've heard it on an MUP or on the street only served to startle me, and I'm quite certain that someone less adept at bike handling would have been much more likely to veer one way or the other.

If you're going to pass someone, just pass them. Give them enough room to allow for any unexpected movements on their part. Be cautious and aware enough to modify your trajectory or speed if they do indeed suddenly change course. But how likely is that, anyway? People don't suddenly swerve left in the middle of a street with motorized traffic.

Saying anything as you approach someone from behind on a bike just seems like a bad idea all around, like the solution of an activist busybody overthinking a situation. And I'm not big on bells, either. In my experience they sound more like "get out of my way" than "be careful, here I come."

torquer
09-18-2017, 02:48 PM
I find that a bell gets people's attention without being confrontational about it. But I check for earphone wires, though that will be less useful as Bluetooth-only iPhones take over. Air horn may be most effective, even necessary, in traffic, but on a MUP, really?

Tony
09-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Thanks Matt. She's very fit, it would of hurt! After the smoke cleared I told her she's quick with a great back fist and should hook up with Urijah Faber's Gym, that she would be great! She laughed.

satchmo
09-18-2017, 03:05 PM
This is exactly why I purchased the Spur Cycle Bell. It is LOUD. And I ring at will. The other thing I stay aware of are runners that constantly look at their Garmin Watches. I find if they wear on their left wrist, they tend to lean left when reading the darn thing.

Tony
09-18-2017, 03:17 PM
I've never understood the "on your left" thing. The few occasions I've heard it on an MUP or on the street only served to startle me, and I'm quite certain that someone less adept at bike handling would have been much more likely to veer one way or the other.

If you're going to pass someone, just pass them. Give them enough room to allow for any unexpected movements on their part. Be cautious and aware enough to modify your trajectory or speed if they do indeed suddenly change course. But how likely is that, anyway? People don't suddenly swerve left in the middle of a street with motorized traffic.

Saying anything as you approach someone from behind on a bike just seems like a bad idea all around, like the solution of an activist busybody overthinking a situation. And I'm not big on bells, either. In my experience they sound more like "get out of my way" than "be careful, here I come."

My experience on MUP is passing without some warning is rude, and in some cases will piss people off. Regarding bells, had folks ring the s**t out of them because I passed without warning.
The bell seems to work best for me, however if I need to say something I'm going the "heads up" route and not use the "on your left", see how that goes.

biker72
09-18-2017, 03:48 PM
I just yell PASSING!!! So often they don't hear me because of the headphones.A few times their music was so loud I could hear it 10 ft coming up behind them.

Red Tornado
09-18-2017, 06:35 PM

This. Then I let them pick a side and ride by on the opposite side.

I've resorted to literally yelling at some headphone wearers to let them know I'm there. Usually works; sometimes doesn't. If I startle them, oh well. Their fault for not using common sense.

chiasticon
09-19-2017, 08:27 AM
My experience on MUP is passing without some warning is rude, and in some cases will piss people off. Regarding bells, had folks ring the s**t out of them because I passed without warning.
The bell seems to work best for me, however if I need to say something I'm going the "heads up" route and not use the "on your left", see how that goes.not that anyone enforces it, but technically one of the rules on our local MUP is that you must give an audible warning when passing someone. I usually yell "coming up on your left" as well in advance as possible, to allow for time to brake, should they do something stupid. "heads up" is what I'll do if they're facing me though, and don't seem to have noticed me for whatever reason. but again, if I notice they have headphones on, I often don't say anything.

adrien
09-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Oh, my, some folks are a wee bit tightly wound.

To the OP -- sounds like it all worked out well, and she'll be more aware of us all in the future (I'm there at least once a week). So, thanks.

I generally use the bell, or say heads-up. Short of a father with clear issues on the W&OD who screamed at me for talking to his child (who was running on a very busy trail), it's never really been an issue. But I also don't ride like a !#$%!#% on MUPs. I'm on them either to get from one part of the ride to another, or to recover. They are NOT for FTP, strava, or high-intensity. That's not only dangerous, it's being a bad human. We are, in theory, all in this together.

So I try to remember that I'm a dad, I'm outside, and life goes on. 2 years ago I gave a bunch of warnings but I knew the young woman didn't hear me. She moved 2 feet left with no warning, and she was being the eye of the tiger. I know, because I heard the Taylor Swift from my bike. Because it was a wood bridge and wet with dew, I crashed and stopped maybe 2 feet from her.

I was fine, bike was fine. She said "you scared me" and I mustered my most sardonic response yet: yes, I said, I imagine I did.

I told her to always look before turning around, and she asked if I was okay. Then she apologized.

rousseau
09-19-2017, 03:09 PM
My experience on MUP is passing without some warning is rude...
I'm a Canadian. We're almost as polite and apologetic as UKers. But I find this confounding. Rude?

As long as you give enough room, why would it be rude? And if it's a busy MUP or bike path, or there isn't much room to maneuver, any rational person walking or cycling would understand that getting passed is a likely occurrence.

Tony
09-19-2017, 07:30 PM
I'm a Canadian. We're almost as polite and apologetic as UKers. But I find this confounding. Rude?

As long as you give enough room, why would it be rude? And if it's a busy MUP or bike path, or there isn't much room to maneuver, any rational person walking or cycling would understand that getting passed is a likely occurrence.

I use to ask my wife the same question. I don't think its rude if the MUP is busy with runners and cyclists, a rhythm. It's those you sneak up on. I think a lot depends on the area, conditions, speed, hubs..... Before I started using a bell I could almost guess who would startle. Some people just get irritated to those who swerve dangerously even if you think you gave then enough room. It's so easy to ring a bell, or say something and most people appreciate it.