PDA

View Full Version : Must See in San Diego?

redir
09-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Heading out there next week for work and taking a week off. I hear El Indio is a good place to eat. Of course the Zoo is world renown. Passport is expired so I won't be going to Mexico. What else should I most definitely not miss out there? If they have a bike share that would be awesome too.

Ken Robb
09-15-2017, 10:20 AM
The Midway Museum is fabulous. Where will you stay?

FlashUNC
09-15-2017, 10:22 AM
San Diego Comic Art Gallery is a bit different and fun.

AngryScientist
09-15-2017, 10:22 AM
who is going?

i think the duck boat tours are fun, especially with kids.

Slowtalker
09-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Second this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregL
09-15-2017, 10:27 AM
I second the Midway Museum (http://www.midway.org/)recommendation!

Greg

bironi
09-15-2017, 10:36 AM
I second the Midway Museum (http://www.midway.org/)recommendation!

GregI would also visit one of the Stone Brewing locations.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

redir
09-15-2017, 10:38 AM
My wife is coming too. I'll be staying at the Hyatt on Lo jolla village dr. Renting a car next Saturday to head up north to LA and visit a friend and do some camping. Thinking about going out to Catalina. We camped a few years ago on the Channel Islands and that was a great experience. I've never been to S.D. though.

KarlC
09-15-2017, 10:48 AM
My wife is coming too. I'll be staying at the Hyatt on Lo jolla village dr. Renting a car next Saturday to head up north to LA and visit a friend and do some camping. Thinking about going out to Catalina. We camped a few years ago on the Channel Islands and that was a great experience. I've never been to S.D. though.

The La Jolla cove area is nice for some food, a stroll along the beach, kayaking, wife bonding time and so on.

San Diego has over 100 mico brews, some are outstanding.

What are you looking to do ?

redir
09-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Micro breweries definitely sounds great. Like most cyclist I'd guess I have a love of food so I'm looking forward to some authentic Mexican. I don't really know what I'm looking to do except just wander. My wife who is a professor of Geology would probably do nothing else but hang out all day at the beach looking for rocks and starfish in tidal pools. That Cabrillo Nat' Monument looks like it could be cool.

robin3mj
09-15-2017, 11:38 AM
I would also visit one of the Stone Brewing locations.

The Stone restaurant in the redeveloped market area over by the airport is good. Tons of beers on tap you won't see elsewhere, and good food too.

Ken Robb
09-15-2017, 11:57 AM
What size bike do you ride?

redir
09-15-2017, 12:10 PM
What size bike do you ride?

59cm top tube. Usually a 61cm Frame.

Ken Robb
09-15-2017, 12:50 PM
59cm top tube. Usually a 61cm Frame.

Can loan you something. :banana:

Lanternrouge
09-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Although a bit of a drive, the Wild Animal Park (nka Safari Park) is definitely worth the trip and, ATMO, a better/more interesting experience than the Zoo itself, which is great in itself. A harbor cruise and/or a trip to the Hotel Del Coronado would also be great.

redir
09-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Can loan you something. :banana:

That's awesome thank you very kindly for the offer. I doubt I will be able to escape for a bike ride but if so I'll definitely take you up on it. It sure does look like a beautiful place to ride.

Ken Robb
09-15-2017, 04:16 PM
That's awesome thank you very kindly for the offer. I doubt I will be able to escape for a bike ride but if so I'll definitely take you up on it. It sure does look like a beautiful place to ride.
My condo is a short walk from the Hyatt. There is a new Mexican restaurant, Red O, an easy walk from your hotel. We haven't tried it yet but the reviews have been good. It is quite a bit upscale from our typical taco/burrito places and serves what they claim to be authentic cuisine from various parts of Mexico. Tony's Jacal and Fidel's are both just west of I-5 in Solana Beach and they are my favorites for good casual Mexican fare. Fidel's carnitas are terrific. El Indio slings some good food but you stand in line to order, wait for them to call your name, grab a tray and look for a table inside or outside.

The Aero-Space Museum in Balboa Park is very good, The Auto Museum is just OK. There are a couple of art museums, Science Museum, Museum of Man, etc. all in Balboa Park. You can spend a whole day in the park and not see it all.

Also in the park you have The Old Globe Theaters. Check to see what's on. There are no bad seats so take whatever you can get if the play looks interesting. Your hotel will also be near La Jolla Playhouse and Scripps Aquarium.

Rudy
09-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Joe Bell's.

Abelicoln
09-15-2017, 04:40 PM
If your a beer geek, check out Mikkeler, Fall Brewing, or Karl Strauss. There really are too many breweries to list. Definitely spend some time at the Hotel Del Coronado. Great place to watch the sun go down. Torrey Pines is always a good trip. Blacks Beach is the coolest IMO but be prepared to see some nudists!

Tickdoc
09-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Just got back from there this June and had a great little trip. I rented a bike at a shop by the airport (moment bicycles?)

If no riding and wife is with then I would suggest a trip out to Coronado island. You can ferry there from the convention center for like $4.

Beer, beer, and more beer is everywhere.

If I was there longer I would go to visit some of the breweries.

There was a great trendy little neighborhood that was filled with fun restaurants, Bars, and shops, but I forget the name. I'm sure someone here will know it.

Have a great trip!

Ken Robb
09-15-2017, 08:25 PM
There was a great trendy little neighborhood that was filled with fun restaurants, Bars, and shops, but I forget the name. I'm sure someone here will know it.

Have a great trip!

There are several neighborhoods like that but I'll bet you were in Little Italy. If I try to list ALL the others I know I'll forget one and get nasty-grams about my omission. :rolleyes:

Ken Robb
09-19-2017, 02:56 PM
So, how's it going? Need more tips for eating/drinking?

93KgBike
09-19-2017, 03:21 PM
The downtown YMCA has a great Olympic pool. Did 5 miles there after a meeting, once.

woodworker
09-19-2017, 05:07 PM
The downtown YMCA has a great Olympic pool. Did 5 miles there after a meeting, once.

If you're referencing the YMCA at Broadway & India, it doesn't exist there any more.

ptourkin
09-19-2017, 05:33 PM
If you're not that into beer and don't mind an antiseptic anytown setting, by all means go to Stone. If you are into beer, let the locals guide you to some spots that we actually haunt. The Modern Times Fermentorium in Point Loma is a must stop, especially if you are into the current incarnations of hazy and fruity IPAs and it's very close to Cabrillo if you stop there. Societe is near the Holland Cycles showroom and has spectacular things to drink. If you head near East County, you can get real Alpine Beer (not disguised Green Flash) at their tasting room and pub.

In the Uptown San Diego area, Blind Lady Ale House and Tiger! Tiger! are family and bike friendly restaurants with a world class tap list. The same folks run Panama 66 in Balboa Park - also very family friendly.

I second Mikeller and Fall also, great beer you won't find everywhere else.

I rode the Midway when she was haze gray and underway. I'm sorry to say I haven't visited her docked.

Ken Robb
09-19-2017, 05:40 PM
I rode the Midway when she was haze gray and underway. I'm sorry to say I haven't visited her docked.

I would be surprised if you didn't think it was a fun thing to do. Besides revisiting areas familiar to you you can check out Flag and Skipper's quarters. :-)

ptourkin
09-19-2017, 06:19 PM
I would be surprised if you didn't think it was a fun thing to do. Besides revisiting areas familiar to you you can check out Flag and Skipper's quarters. :-)

Trust me, she was a lot more interesting driving around shooting planes and stopping in Pattaya.

Plum Hill
09-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Hey, the Auto Museum in Balboa Park as a Tucker, so it's not all that bad.
Me...I dig the model railroad in the park.

KarlC
09-20-2017, 10:07 PM
If you like the harder stuff this is a great stop

http://aeroclubbar.com

oldpotatoe
09-21-2017, 07:12 AM

Ooooo-rah!!

Ken Robb
09-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Ooooo-rah!!

The company I worked for for 30+ years is now owned by a former RIO in F-4 Phantoms in the late 1960s-early 1970s as was my sister's husband. We celebrated the company's 100th anniversary with a BIG catered party on the Midway. A phantom displayed on deck is one that my pal flew missions in over Viet Nam. He has the log to prove it. :-)

tylercheung
09-21-2017, 11:03 AM
I've only been near the convention center and Old Town since that is where most of the conferences have been. That little island to the south with hotels that begins w/ a C is nice.

By far the most fun, though, was when a friend took us to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Encinitas. not the old zoo but this new one up north that is "free range" or something. It was great! Plus in a stroke of genius, they opened up a bar on a nice hill inside so that you can chill in the nice CA afternoons and sip beer/wine and watch the hippos wash their butts in the mud! :eek:

KarlC
09-21-2017, 12:06 PM
I've only been near the convention center and Old Town since that is where most of the conferences have been. That little island to the south with hotels that begins w/ a C is nice.

By far the most fun, though, was when a friend took us to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido. not the old zoo but this new one up north that is "free range" or something. It was great! Plus in a stroke of genius, they opened up a bar on a nice hill inside so that you can chill in the nice CA afternoons and sip beer/wine and watch the hippos wash their butts in the mud! :eek:

I fixed it for you.

cgolvin
09-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Since you said you won't have time to ride in SD, this is probably even less likely. But if you rent a bike with wider tires, the riding on Catalina is by all accounts outstanding — remote areas, scenic vistas, good dirt surface.

+1 on Modern Times, too.

redir
09-22-2017, 01:15 PM
It's been a worlwind but having a great time. I got your IM Ken, again thanks for that. Got to sneek out to the La Jolla tidal pools and went to a place called George's to entertain collegues and had a fantastic Margarita.

Went to a grocery store near by and stumbled across a great bike shop, Uccyclery and of course had to poke around a bit. Not often you see 10k bikes on the floor!

Heading out to Balboa Park now . Tomorrow pickup a car and head north.

donevwil
09-22-2017, 02:48 PM
.... Heading out to Balboa Park now ....

Don't forget Friday Night Racing (https://www.sdvelodrome.com/calendar)at the velodrome.

ptourkin
09-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Don't forget Friday Night Racing (https://www.sdvelodrome.com/calendar)at the velodrome.

Women's night at FNR.

Also, SCNCA Masters during the day all weekend but it sounds like he'll be gone.

Ken Robb
09-22-2017, 05:16 PM
It's been a worlwind but having a great time. I got your IM Ken, again thanks for that. Got to sneek out to the La Jolla tidal pools and went to a place called George's to entertain collegues and had a fantastic Margarita.

Went to a grocery store near by and stumbled across a great bike shop, Uccyclery and of course had to poke around a bit. Not often you see 10k bikes on the floor!

Heading out to Balboa Park now . Tomorrow pickup a car and head north.

UC Cyclery is a fine shop. Dave has owned it for 25+ years and now I see his daughter getting involved after graduating from college. Were you at Ralps, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? They are all a stone's throw from Dave's shop. Rides start there every weekend. I live 2 blocks away. If you can choose only one museum at Balboa Park I'd choose The Aero-Space. OTOH I just read that The Timken Museum has some Monets on loan and The Museum of Art (right next door) is also about to show some Monets. There regular collections are good too. If you get hungry/thirsty while in the park The Prado is a good place to go. They probably have a good happy Hour 4-6pm. If you walk west across the Laurel Street Bridge to 5th Avenue you can eat/drink at Cucina Urbana which may have a more adventurous menu than The Prado but they are both good. Cucina has a retail wine selection so if you don't find anything you like on the wine list (hard to imagine) you can buy a bottle at retail and pay a VERY reasonable corkage fee. OTOH, if you like something you tried by the glass you may very well be able to buy some bottles at retail to take with you.

Where are you heading "north"?

redir
09-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Yeah I was at the Trader Joe's when I saw the shop. Hanging out on a bench by the Globe Theater now, talking about going to the gas light district. The Timken was excellent.

North we go tomorrow to meet a friend in Pasadena. Then talking about going to Los Padres National Park North of Santa Barbara. Might day trip out to Catilina as well.

Regards.

Ken Robb
09-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Please post YOUR reviews of places/activities here because I tend to recommend things that I like as a local and I avoid some places that are aimed at tourists and/or much younger folks. I'd like to give a balanced review of our town.

redir
09-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Well, in the gas lamp quarter I simply googled brew pub and came across Half Door brew pup and I'll say their beer is quite good. Food was typical Irish pup fare but good enough. But again the beer is fresh and excellent imho.

Going to check out some roof top bar now, forgot name.

Edit: Altitudes, top of Marriott. Padres game going on and has a view over the stadium. Neat place.

roguedog
09-23-2017, 12:23 AM
Hmm.. I'm heading there as well in a week with my Dad and bro. Annual family vaca. Need to keep my dad occupied. He likes doing tours.. well.. We'll be in the Mission Valley area

Things to Do

Going to do
Safari
Coronado and midway (tks for the rec)
Golf.. somewhere... (rec?)

Looking also for some tours.. food tour? history tour?

Food
Looking for a good Sunday brunch place (oceana? is the coronado all that.. really?)
Other? Should be healthier options than pub.

Would love to do the Sunday group ride with a group I rode with a few years ago but not sure I can get away and I'd prob have to rent a bike and all that. Oh well, this trip isn't really for me per se.

Love to hear about any other recs.

Lanternrouge
09-23-2017, 09:34 AM

Torrey Pines would be a recommendation, though I understand actually getting on the course can be a challenge due to its popularity and relatively low prices for City of San Diego residents. My wife won a round at the Grand Del Mar at a charity action and was very impressed, so that's a recommendation if you are willing to spend a lot for an experience. I think the same would go for the Park Hyatt Aviara, but it's not as fancy. A public and challenging course also up near me (about 40 minutes or so north of Mission Valley) is the Crossings at Carlsbad. Another well known one near me in Carlsbad is La Costa. There are a lot of good courses in the San Diego area, so there will likely be a lot of recommendations and ones closer to where you are going to be staying.

Ken Robb
09-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Hmm.. I'm heading there as well in a week with my Dad and bro. Annual family vaca. Need to keep my dad occupied. He likes doing tours.. well.. We'll be in the Mission Valley area

Things to Do

Going to do
Safari
Coronado and midway (tks for the rec)

Looking also for some tours.. food tour? history tour?

Food
Looking for a good Sunday brunch place (oceana? is the coronado all that.. really?)
Other? Should be healthier options than pub.

Would love to do the Sunday group ride with a group I rode with a few years ago but not sure I can get away and I'd prob have to rent a bike and all that. Oh well, this trip isn't really for me per se.

Love to hear about any other recs.

Check with UC Cyclery for info on their weekend rides and availability of rental bikes. Our annual Restaurant Week starts tomorrow. MANY restaurants participate with special lunch and dinner menus. This may or may not be good news. My wife and I think of it as "amateurs' night" dining when some places are very busy with diners who would not normally be there so the chefs may not be able to perform up to their usual standards. #-course dinners are $30-$50 depending on the place.

We have a surplus of golf courses (several have recently closed) so the local paper runs ads for special golf rates at various courses. This week a couple offered 18 holes and a cart for $35 or $50 if you wanted a lunch too. Because our weather can vary a lot depending on proximity to the coast I'd suggest waiting until you check the weather report and choose a climate you like. September and October are our warmest months.

We dine out often and are more into wine than beer so tell me what kind of grub you like and I'll offer some ideas. I understand "hopheads" who want to try as many of our local brew-pubs but I'm just very happy to know that I can get a good IPA in almost any decent restaurant in town. :beer:

roguedog
09-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Ken.

Golf - my bro and I aren't that great. We basically play once a year which is usually on this trip. That said, we'd like a nice course but doesn't have to be tippy top. Balance of condition, price and ambiance (views, customer service) and that sort of thing

Food -

Mexican, of course. Anything else that's kinda special? For brunch on Sun, I was thinking of going to Oceana. Places that have good lighter fare like fish and salads would be good so we can have healthier options.

Lanternrouge
09-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Ken.
Food -

Mexican, of course.

Old Town Mexican Cafe is good and is somewhat of a local institution. http://oldtownmexcafe.com/

There's not exactly a lack of decent and better Mexican places in the area.

ripvanrando
09-26-2017, 05:52 AM
Maderas Golf Club is a very nice golf course with stellar facilities inline with a good private club although it is not inexpensive. A bit of a ride.

Aviara at the old Four Seasons was always half decent, especially if staying there is convenient.

I have not played Steele Canyon but understand it is a also very good

Torrey Pines is a one and done for me, $240 for the South course with bumpy Poa greens and 5-6 hours. No thanks. I know, not the typical opinion.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Maderas Golf Club is a very nice golf course with stellar facilities inline with a good private club although it is not inexpensive. A bit of a ride.

Aviara at the old Four Seasons was always half decent, especially if staying there is convenient.

I have not played Steele Canyon but understand it is a also very good

Torrey Pines is a one and done for me, $240 for the South course with bumpy Poa greens and 5-6 hours. No thanks. I know, not the typical opinion.

Great place to park for a ride tho..down the hill, head north..go thru Carlsbad...San Onefre or Pendleton..then back..fun ride along PCH..always something to see.

ripvanrando
09-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Great place to park for a ride tho..down the hill, head north..go thru Carlsbad...San Onefre or Pendleton..then back..fun ride along PCH..always something to see.

Agree there!!!

I like to ride up to Julian for pie.....lots of pie. I have only been in SD maybe 6-8 times but like it there a lot although the drivers seem to hate cyclists more so than in other states.

mod6
09-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Funny I guess were you live can skew your perception on interactions with drivers. Compared to Long Island I found the drivers to be friendly and patient when I was out there in August. Most of my rides started in Mission Beach and went up to the Torrey Pines area. Folks would give you room and wave you through stop signs. Here most days on the road it feel like a battle.

Agree there!!!

I like to ride up to Julian for pie.....lots of pie. I have only been in SD maybe 6-8 times but like it there a lot although the drivers seem to hate cyclists more so than in other states.

ptourkin
09-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Funny I guess were you live can skew your perception on interactions with drivers. Compared to Long Island I found the drivers to be friendly and patient when I was out there in August. Most of my rides started in Mission Beach and went up to the Torrey Pines area. Folks would give you room and wave you through stop signs. Here most days on the road it feel like a battle.

They're pretty good in general and our roads are marked and signed. Going up to Julian via Cuyamaca is a winding mountainous road and on weekends there are some jackasses hauling their offroad toys but in general it goes fine.

Ken Robb
09-26-2017, 10:04 AM
For golf I'd suggest Torrey Pines North which is designed for average golfers as opposed to the very challenging South Course. The views can be spectacular and the weather won't be very hot due to its proximity to the ocean. Then when you watch the pros play there on TV you can remember how you played it----for better or worse.

A spectacular place for Mexican food is Coasterra which sits at the end of Harbor Island looking across San Diego bay to downtown and Coronado. Next door is C Level which offers lots of small plates as well as regular entrees and the view is almost as good.

Gee, I just read about $240 fee for T.P. South. I had no idea it cost so much for out-of-town players. Since it is owned by The City of SD residents get a huge discount. I'd suggest you wait until you get here and check the weather reports and then choose a course with the weather you prefer. :-) OKAY, now I think I remember that South costs more than North so check the website for accurate info.

93KgBike
09-26-2017, 10:13 AM
If you're referencing the YMCA at Broadway & India, it doesn't exist there any more.
Well, it was 9 or 10 years ago.

After that swim, I had a nice chat with the fac/dir in the lobby and got to compliment it.

I suppose there's a newer one, now.

ptourkin
09-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Well, it was 9 or 10 years ago.

After that swim, I had a nice chat with the fac/dir in the lobby and got to compliment it.

I suppose there's a newer one, now.

It wasn't replaced. Downtown was used mostly by office workers who wanted a shower. Big money gyms have taken that over.

roguedog
09-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Thanks all for the rec's. Will put them in my list for reference.

Yeah. Torrey Pines is out of my league. I'd pay it if my game were worth it. Uh.. it's not.

Really liked the look of Maderas though and Aviara kinda cracked me up with this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=143&v=uPn_nvOLjH0). If they really do give cookies after a round, I might be in!

I know there's lots of Mex places but wanted to know any locals favorites vs me picking from yelp whilst I"m in town.

If anyone has anything else, feel free to add but wanted to say thanks to all who did provide recs.

Lanternrouge
09-27-2017, 12:54 AM
Really liked the look of Maderas though and Aviara kinda cracked me up with this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=143&v=uPn_nvOLjH0). If they really do give cookies after a round, I might be in!

Aviara really does have cookies and lemonade too, I believe. The starting house also has water and cookies for dogs.

ptourkin
09-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks all for the rec's. Will put them in my list for reference.

Yeah. Torrey Pines is out of my league. I'd pay it if my game were worth it. Uh.. it's not.

I know there's lots of Mex places but wanted to know any locals favorites vs me picking from yelp whilst I"m in town.

If anyone has anything else, feel free to add but wanted to say thanks to all who did provide recs.

Regarding Mexican food, as a local -- unless you really want an extended sit down, I'd say places like Old Town are a waste of time and money - esp if you're coming from a place that doesn't have our kind of Mexican. Come grab a burrito at a spot the locals frequent and it will be the best thing you'll eat.

In SD, our specialty is the California Burrito - we passionately defend it over other (gross) stuff from other regions like the (gross) Mission burritos in San Francisco. For a good take on that with some other cool stuff to look at, go to Lucha Libre in Mission Hills or North Park but every neighborhood has its favorites. As someone who doesn't eat meat - I prefer Pokez downtown and Ranchos Cocina in North Park. Toward the beach, we have Liticker's in Ocean Beach, which is in a liquor store and would blow away anything out of town.

If you do want to sit down, I would go to Barrio Star in Bankers Hill or City Tacos or the aforementioned Ranchos in North Park.

Finally, if you are a committed carnivore, there is only the real OG - Las Cuatro Milpas in Logan Heights. Everything else is a tourist trap compared to them.

Ken Robb
09-27-2017, 09:50 AM
There are so many good places for local-style Mexican food that it's hard to go very far wrong. Two of my favorites are next to each other in Solana Beach. The area is known as Eden Gardens and has historically been the area just across the freeway from very expensive Rancho Santa Fe where Mexican workers/gardeners lived. Tony's Jacal and Fidel's started very small providing food to neighbors in the neighborhood. Word got around and people from all over town flocked to these two and a couple of other lesser-known places on the same street. Both menus are extensive but it would be a mistake to miss carnitas at Fidel's or chile relleno at Tony's.
The drive on I-5 at rush hour is bad so you might go for lunch tied in with a scenic drive up the coast.

Gummee
09-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Speaking of North Park: Chicken Pie Shop and the Corvette Diner are good places to eat too.

...but I'll second (third?) the recommendation of 'find a hole in the wall Mexican place' and feast for not much $$.

I actually sorta kinda had a CA burrito here in the DC area. Got the local place to put french fries in my steak burrito for a taste of 'home.'

added: Angelo's up the coast for burgers. Miss that place.

M

Ken Robb
10-06-2017, 10:33 AM
So, what about the rest of your trip? Did you get to Catalina? Any recommendations for other visitors(or residents)?

ColnagoFan
10-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Regarding Mexican food, as a local -- unless you really want an extended sit down, I'd say places like Old Town are a waste of time and money - esp if you're coming from a place that doesn't have our kind of Mexican. Come grab a burrito at a spot the locals frequent and it will be the best thing you'll eat.

In SD, our specialty is the California Burrito - we passionately defend it over other (gross) stuff from other regions like the (gross) Mission burritos in San Francisco. For a good take on that with some other cool stuff to look at, go to Lucha Libre in Mission Hills or North Park but every neighborhood has its favorites. As someone who doesn't eat meat - I prefer Pokez downtown and Ranchos Cocina in North Park. Toward the beach, we have Liticker's in Ocean Beach, which is in a liquor store and would blow away anything out of town.

If you do want to sit down, I would go to Barrio Star in Bankers Hill or City Tacos or the aforementioned Ranchos in North Park.

Finally, if you are a committed carnivore, there is only the real OG - Las Cuatro Milpas in Logan Heights. Everything else is a tourist trap compared to them.

California fries too! ;)

redir
10-06-2017, 02:35 PM
We had a great time out there. I did not make it to Catalina, we just kind of ran out of time. We picked up my friend and his girl friend then headed up north and camped for two nights in the Los Padres forest to do some hiking. The next day we went to Oceano Dunes and hiked the beach out and took the dunes back. THat was a trip! My friend is an archeologist too and we found all kinds of artifacts with his sharp eye and of course buried them right back again where they were found ;)

Then we went up to Morro Bay, with a quick stop to Pizmo Beach, and spent a night there. There was a great little restaurant right on the bay but the name escapes me now. After that we went to see the mission in Lampoc. Spent another night somewhere around there then headed back to San Diego and stayed in the Old Town area which is a bit cheezy but it was cool.

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and the real time live feed ;)

The Navy Base at Loma Point was definitely worth the trip as is the tidal pools in Lahoya.

metalheart
03-03-2018, 09:55 AM
My wife and I are going to San Diego/La Jolla next week. She needs to visit some friends she has not seen in a long time. We both lived in the Del Mar/La Jolla area 38 years ago when we met while I was finishing grad work at UCSD.

My wife found some deal at the Inn by the Sea in La Jolla. While she visits friends, I plan to do some solo rides, probably mostly on the coast up to Del Mary, Solana Beach, and beyond. I am not sure about the Inn by the Sea place as a base for 5 days, so if there are any other places to stay suggestions, those ideas would be appreciated.

Other than riding and visiting friends, we will have time to do some other things, and the Midway Museum and Balboa Park are the only things on our list. Any ideas about eating spots would be appreciated, especially in the La Jolla and North area. We are more wine than beer folks, so visiting breweries is lost on us!

ptourkin
03-03-2018, 10:17 AM
I would also visit one of the Stone Brewing locations.

I answer this in every SD thread, but if you visit Stone as representative of SD beer, you are seriously wasting your time. Buy Stone at Costco and visit Modern Times, Blind Lady Ale House, Tiger Tiger, Toronado, Hamilton's.... almost anywhere but Stone. While they were cool, there is nothing unique to San Diego about that experience anymore.

Edit: Sorry for the rant. Just saw this was the old thread and I probably said it already. Anyway, support Indie Beer. Okay bye...

Ken Robb
03-03-2018, 11:07 AM
My wife and I are going to San Diego/La Jolla next week. She needs to visit some friends she has not seen in a long time. We both lived in the Del Mar/La Jolla area 38 years ago when we met while I was finishing grad work at UCSD.

My wife found some deal at the Inn by the Sea in La Jolla. While she visits friends, I plan to do some solo rides, probably mostly on the coast up to Del Mary, Solana Beach, and beyond. I am not sure about the Inn by the Sea place as a base for 5 days, so if there are any other places to stay suggestions, those ideas would be appreciated.

Other than riding and visiting friends, we will have time to do some other things, and the Midway Museum and Balboa Park are the only things on our list. Any ideas about eating spots would be appreciated, especially in the La Jolla and North area. We are more wine than beer folks, so visiting breweries is lost on us!
Third Corner is a restaurant/wine store in Ocean Beach and also Encinitas. The food is good and the wine selection is outstanding. If you can't find anything you want on their list (unlikely) it's fun to wander the retail racks, pick a winner and have it served with your meal for $5 corkage! Sunday nights they have 3-course prix fix dinner for $23. They post the menu for the night early Sunday morning. That is a particularly good deal but the entire menu is always available and the prices are very reasonable.

metalheart
03-03-2018, 06:46 PM
The Third Corner sounds like a winner as well as Coasterra. Fun places to eat and enjoy wine, separately or with food, are on our todo list.

Riding from La Jolla it looks as if I can keep busy by heading to Cabrillo, up the coast to Carlsbad, and otherwise I am checking out Ridewith GPS for other routes. 3 or so hours on the bike is about what will work so we can do some other things the rest of the day. We are driving so I can bring my own bike.

Ken Robb
03-04-2018, 12:35 AM
I think you will find your hotel so convenient to so many fun things to do that you won't want to move on this trip. If you like to climb I think I can direct you from near your hotel to a "secret" route to the top of Mt. Soledad where you can see the spectacular views from the Cross/War Memorial before heading down to Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach and out to the end of Point Loma. You can't use this route in a car but the is a gate for pedestrians and bicyclists. :banana:

metalheart
03-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Thanks Ken, I would like to know the secret route. Mt. Soledad is on the list for this trip, but even though it has been a long time since I was there, even 30 some years ago I remember traffic was busy. So, any way to avoid traffic to Soledad and beyond. I am searching out a low traffic route to Cabrillo, so any help would be appreciated!

Ken Robb
03-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Thanks Ken, I would like to know the secret route. Mt. Soledad is on the list for this trip, but even though it has been a long time since I was there, even 30 some years ago I remember traffic was busy. So, any way to avoid traffic to Soledad and beyond. I am searching out a low traffic route to Cabrillo, so any help would be appreciated!

I gather you like to climb, even at your advanced age? :)

ptourkin
03-04-2018, 03:16 PM

Message me re: Soledad down to Cabrillo. If you're on Strava, I'll give you a follow for multiple routes on Soledad every day. The gates and bridges aren't really a secret. Neither is the dirt.

metalheart
03-04-2018, 05:12 PM
I gather you like to climb, even at your advanced age? :)

Even in my dottering age, I do like to climb. At 195 pounds -- and shrinking -- and two knee replacements, one of which continues to be troublesome, I manage to get a tolerable amount of climbing in per week. I am better on punchy hills than long slogs, but I am trying to improve on the long slogs, so this trip should be a mix of slogging and flats. :banana: :bike: