PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of stuck pedals,seatposts yada yada

Frankwurst
09-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Friend of mine sent this to me knowing I love all things that make life easier so I thought I'd share. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just passing it on and found it interesting. Have not tried it but I will.:beer:

Subject: Penetrating Oils
"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" bolt.
Average torque load to loosen nut:
No Oil used .......................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .......................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil ........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix..................... 53 foot pounds
The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid
This version of the story was in one
of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters:

Tickdoc
09-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Intereting,....will try to store in my ageing memory bank for future reference.

Cicli
09-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Been on the atf/acetone for years. Works very well.

rustychisel
09-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Been on the atf/acetone for years. Works very well.

No bad side effects then? Memory loss? Weight loss? Hair falling out? Lack of comprehension and communication skills?

Mikej
09-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Hmmm I used to torque a particular 1.5" axle with a 2 1/2" nut on a hydraulic drive motor to 350 ft/lbs of torq. It took a 1" drive Snap On torque wrench with a cheater bar. It was an insane amount of force. I'm just trying to comprehend how they accomplished this test, being that it is very difficult to control or measure how frozen or rusted a bolt becomes. I really hated that job....

zmudshark
09-14-2017, 09:36 PM
My anecdotal evidence tells me it depends on how long the parts have been stuck and under what conditions. I believe the molecular structure of Kroil is smaller than the other penetrants mentioned. The ATF/acetone mix can have nasty results on some finishes, so keep that in mind. Freeze-Off in combo with penetrant sometimes works on some materials. I've also used 10% ammonia and patience with success.

Frankwurst
09-14-2017, 09:55 PM
No bad side effects then? Memory loss? Weight loss? Hair falling out? Lack of comprehension and communication skills?

Hell. I have all of those and I haven't even tried it yet. :beer:

Ronsonic
09-15-2017, 09:19 PM

Yeah, all that and my rusty nuts are really loose.

mecse
09-16-2017, 05:12 AM
Friend of mi
ATF/Acetone mix..................... 53 foot pounds
The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid
This version of the story was in one
of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters:
Which begs the question: why can't I buy this in the store?

jumphigher
09-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Thanks for posting that info, OP. I'm gonna keep it written down somewhere.

Cicli
09-16-2017, 08:22 AM

No rust on my chisel though. :bike: