PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Tube Type Valve Extender

redir
09-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Hate these damn things I really do and I'll NEVER buy extenders like this again, the ones that use the existing presta valve and are just a tube extension rather then the ones that you remove the valve...

Anyway the gawd derned thing is stuck! I used a spoke to probe around in there and was actually able to hear a bit of pressure release but when I chuck my pump on it air will simply not go in. They are Tubulars so I'm trying to find a way to not remove the whole thing.

Is there a way to unscrew the valve? I'm guessing it rattled itself shut over time but I cannot think of anything I have laying around the shop that would actually fit in there and grab hold :(

shovelhd
09-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Use two pairs of vice-grip pliers to remove the extension.

redir
09-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Use two pairs of vice-grip pliers to remove the extension.

I should have mentioned that if I remove the extension then the valve will be buried in the rim, it's a 50mm carbon rim and the tire has a short valve. To be clear it's the presta valve that is stuck on the original tire valve, not the extender tube.

loxx0050
09-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Maybe a longer valve core removal tool? But they might not clear the valve hole in your semi deep profile rim.

Next time you install or if you have to redo the valve dab a little super glue to keep it permanently open. I did that with my deep dish front race wheel as I didn't trust it wouldn't work it's way back closed again over time.

NateM
09-14-2017, 04:06 AM
use a large sewing needle,stick it in and rotate the presta valve counter clockwise,just keep at it and you will then be able to air it up.When you change tires get rid of those extenders (or glue them open)

redir
09-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Glue is a great suggestion, yup next time for sure.

cmbicycles
09-14-2017, 01:00 PM
If you use this type of extender again, I've always unthreaded the presta valve and used some pliers to crimp it in the open position before installing in the wheel.

redir
09-14-2017, 03:02 PM
If you use this type of extender again, I've always unthreaded the presta valve and used some pliers to crimp it in the open position before installing in the wheel.

Another good idea, thanks.